Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kantopia (Pretty good translator) weighed in on the changed Bernie lines. As always, it's not about telling you "It's better/worse" it's about clearing up what's the case with the actual dialog.

I also recommend you go and follow their site!

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/

because they do a lot of english FE translations that are either important (art books) or interesting (Changed support convo's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Missing "all day" is kinda important there, I think.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Can they patch in a quest to slam Bernie’s dad onto the pavement

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

you know of all the important off screen NPCs the fact that of them you get to fight Annette's Uncle and not Bernie's dad is incredible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id buy the 'more accurate to the original jp' argument if they didnt leave all the other things that are extremely inaccurate to the original jp.

in the original ferdinand/dorothea support, its mentioned that manuela is the person that hired dorothea from the streets and into the opera company. in the translation they just don't specify anyone, dorothea just says 'the right person heard me singing.'

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it's not as if they patched all the explicitly romantic language present in the Japanese script back into the Annette/Mercedes or Shamir/Catherine English A supports. This isn't about making the translation ~more accurate~ it's very clear they decided they wanted to tone down the nature of Bernie's childhood abuse in English, for whatever reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also any time gay flirting comes up in the jp script its basically a coin flip on if they remove it

the tl *reads* fine but its literally homophobic, imo

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

guess who just found out that dancers in this game can use magic and didn't change a mage to a dancer aaaa

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly Dancer is better on a sword wielder because of Sword Avoid +20. Dancer Felix or Petra are literally unhittable late game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked how with Annette and Gilbert's paralogue, Annette's uncle is transparently putting on a show so the empire doesn't punish his people. It also tells you a lot about how the Empire's doing in the Kingdom.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Route 5: Take a detour to the bad dads

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 13, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Artelier posted:

guess who just found out that dancers in this game can use magic and didn't change a mage to a dancer aaaa

Dedue?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Unfortunately, it turns out the benefits of Sword Avoid +20 on Felix are counteracted if you give him the Big Rock of Fraldarius and tank his attack speed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Make Ferdinand a Dancer, he's also an untouchable dodge tank.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Does Caspar's dad do anything bad other than siding with the Empire on all routes?

Well, that and making Lindhardt do exercise that one time?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
caspar's dad made the ultimate sacrifice on golden deer

laid down his life so that all his troops could go free

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
mages are OP tho

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apart from the fliers, mortal savant is probably my favorite class in the game. My Felix was triple wielding swords, bows and magic. It’s a pretty good combination.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rand Brittain posted:

Does Caspar's dad do anything bad other than siding with the Empire on all routes?

All the parents of the Eagles nobles were in on the coup that rendered El's father powerless and lead to El being experimented on. Now I doubt that's the end goal of all of them, and the coup could be seen as a reaction against her father trying to centralize power, but they still did it!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

he also did a colonialism on brigid

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Endorph posted:

also any time gay flirting comes up in the jp script its basically a coin flip on if they remove it

the tl *reads* fine but its literally homophobic, imo

will the day where Nintendo of America doesn't choke badly on anything involving LGBT+ stuff ever come

i'm so tired of being frustrated at localizations i otherwise like because they fumble gay/trans stuff so badly

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Caspar's dad seems like he's a bad person considering his role as the Minister of Military Affairs means he's responsible for a lot of bad poo poo, but as a father I guess he's decent enough? He didn't disown his kid for not having a crest or abuse his kids, which by the standards of this game is pretty good.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm mad that I can't personally kill Von Aegir Sr even if he gets what he deserves anyway even though I don't want to make Ferdie cry.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

So, starting my Maddening run without NG+ and I see that the DLC also includes a bunch of stat boosters under Byleth's bed for some reason? If I use these am I endorsing the new pay2win model or something?? this feels dirty but then again I had to reset the prologue like 3 times

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

psy_wombats posted:

So, starting my Maddening run without NG+ and I see that the DLC also includes a bunch of stat boosters under Byleth's bed for some reason? If I use these am I endorsing the new pay2win model or something?? this feels dirty but then again I had to reset the prologue like 3 times

Take every advantage you can get when it comes to non-NG+ Maddening, honestly. The game's not going to play fair (archers in the lategame get to combine Bowrange +1 and Bowrange +2, like, come the gently caress on), so why should you?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Anyone got that new title screen yet?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The first few chapters are extremely rough, but I'm at Chapter 7 now and I'm kinda finding it pretty manageable, barring a couple surprises.

I didn't use the DLC stuff out of... principle I guess but who knows if that'll change. Regardless I don't think the normal stat boosters are cheating per se since +3 Str/Spd and 7 HP distributed on a few units isn't gonna make a massive difference. The +2 boots is definitely on a league on its own, though.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Calico Heart posted:

Anyone got that new title screen yet?

https://twitter.com/DeathChaos25/status/1171665152757968896

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Artelier posted:

on this (first) playthrough i didn't realize the event unlocked a class and had bernie dance. now she is the sole owner of a unique class that has proficiency in pretty much nothing she is or will be trained to take advantage of.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I made Mercedes do the dance cuz she was most likely to win the competition. She’s a pure healer. It was a total waste and I wish they’d give some hint of the rewards before letting you select your nominee.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Ragnar Homsar posted:

https://twitter.com/DeathChaos25/status/1171665152757968896

lol absolutely not worth it

Finally beat Church route! That's 3 of 4 down. Gotta say, the final battle really comes out of nowhere. It's like 75% Golden Deer and then "ah wait Rhea is craaaazy now" and it's not??? Really??? Explained???

I appreciate it was different though, was really prepared to fight Nemesis again.

Am thinking of making Byleth the dancer on next playthrough. She's good at magic and swords anyway!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I put Flayn into Dancer and healers can function just fine. The sword abilities are handy (& probably worth pumping at least a few ranks into) for dancing in enemy lines, and if you need it you have the option to throw out a heal. Or in Flayn's case, the occasional Rescue. I did throw some ranks into Reason so she had a back up "let's nuke the high defense enemy" option if another person wasn't near by to finish up.

I see dancers as a handy swiss army knife. And mage dancers can always go a little into swords to get the Levin sword (I think it's C rank?) for the best of all worlds if yo ureally want.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

lol absolutely not worth it

Finally beat Church route! That's 3 of 4 down. Gotta say, the final battle really comes out of nowhere. It's like 75% Golden Deer and then "ah wait Rhea is craaaazy now" and it's not??? Really??? Explained???

I appreciate it was different though, was really prepared to fight Nemesis again.

Am thinking of making Byleth the dancer on next playthrough. She's good at magic and swords anyway!

Byleth & Faculty can't participate, it is only students (& cyril)

Byleth does have unused dancer models & colors though so it was probably a consideration at some point, though.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dancers prefer a good faith spell list over reason anyway because their stats aren't built for offense, among other things

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Just in case you think Rhea's outfit is insufficiently Catholic

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

will the day where Nintendo of America doesn't choke badly on anything involving LGBT+ stuff ever come

i'm so tired of being frustrated at localizations i otherwise like because they fumble gay/trans stuff so badly

I think you're narrow focused on just the romance stuff. A lot of the translation is just taking out stuff or basically subduing major aspects of a character. If they were truly homophobic, they would've kept in the line where Slyvain hit on a man dressed as a woman instead of a scarecrow.

A Cyril support never mentions he's illiterate, despite clearly saying he is in the japanese.

Dorathea only mentions a random person rescuing her in iirc Ferdie/Dora A support instead of specifically mentioning Manuella.

Claude in general speaks occasionally in third person about the past and calls Byleth in the same manner as a close family member.

General flirting toned down like Dorathea B:

quote:

Then we have things that are changed almost completely. Usually things that are "suggestive". Example: like Dorothea's second support where she asks for your weaknesses and concludes you are ticklish in English but in Japanese it's more like she was looking for your "vulnerable spots" and is wondering if it's your ears or your neck or...

And etc., etc.

The translation was done by 9 people and it felt like it. It's all over the place and rushed, and stamped on by Nintendo to keep it at T no matter what while also meeting a global release.

I would say it's going to end up being a poor translation saved by the actor's performances, with whatever shitpile they were given to read called a script.

Tae fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 13, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Explain why I shouldn't use Calvary/Paladins and flier units? At least on hard Byleth murders everything on horse or flying. Byleth's final unique class is crap compared to better options. What am I missing? Same thing why use Edlegard's slow 5 MV ultimate unique class vs the superior Falcon knight that is better in every way?

Nothing much to say about about mages they are killers but slow might eventually try an all mage party.

I will admit that besides Byleth, Edlegard and Perta there are fewer great calvery/fliers. Petra is best wyven knight but Ingrid has had issues my entire game taking two turns to kill enemies. Slyvan is great as Calvary, Ferdinand is terrible. Both have issues though of killing enemies in two turns which is not good. That is something I would like to fix for my weaker units: one kill per turn.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Cavalry classes (Cavalier, Paladin, Great Knight, Bow Knight, Dark Knight, Holy Knight) all reduce a unit's Spd growth by 10%, which is the biggest argument them.

Fliers don't have that weakness and are generally fine on Hard, but on Maddening the fact that archers are generally stronger and have farther reach can result in large swaths of a map being no-go zones for fliers.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

Explain why I shouldn't use Calvary/Paladins and flier units? At least on hard Byleth murders everything on horse or flying. Byleth's final unique class is crap compared to better options. What am I missing? Same thing why use Edlegard's slow 5 MV ultimate unique class vs the superior Falcon knight that is better in every way?

Nothing much to say about about mages they are killers but slow might eventually try an all mage party.

I will admit that besides Byleth, Edlegard and Perta there are fewer great calvery/fliers. Petra is best wyven knight but Ingrid has had issues my entire game taking two turns to kill enemies. Slyvan is great as Calvary, Ferdinand is terrible. Both have issues though of killing enemies in two turns which is not good. That is something I would like to fix for my weaker units: one kill per turn.

All the cavalry classes give negative speed growth, fliers are op. Hard is really easy. Byleth's unique class is mediocre because it doesn't do anything special, not really anything anything with its normal speed. Why would you use falcon knight on Edelgard instead of Wyvern Rider/Lord if you want to make her a flier?

Ferdinand and Sylvain also have almost identical growths.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
no one's saying you shouldn't use flying units (heck, flying classes are ridiculously broken in this game between their growths and base stats)

it's the cavalier/paladin line you have to worry about since they incur a 10% penalty to a unit's speed growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

treehouse is really freaking inconsistent with what things are and aren’t too extreme to be in a T-rated game. It seems so arbitrary.