Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
dang i can't believe chapo trap house is a bunch of white guys making money in this day and age of the united states of america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought the authority was cool in my youth but now literally every movie and tv show is about superheros who swear and have sex and it makes me wanna puke blood

you can fight authority but it always wins.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can fight authority but it always wins.

Brb currently subscribing to disney plus while hating myself

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm definitely not going to post the worst pages from Crossed or The Boys to counter that.

When Ellis is on, he's on, and when he's not, he does lolrandom monkeycheese or goes on about Silicon Valley transhumanist nonsense. When Ennis is on, he's on, and when he's not, it's pee pee doo doo human being dyke whore oval office tranny rape is really really funny you guys!

As a dreaded white male who talks and even laughs sometimes, I couldn't say. I suppose the missing context would be ever actually listening to the show, which I don't think any of these people ever do. I listened to Cum Town, didn't enjoy it, turned it off, and moved on with my life. I don't know why these people can't do the same.

You’ve described why I like cum town so much. It took me a couple episodes to get it and most of it is utter crap, but when nick is on he has me absolutely rolling.

It’s also funny to me that chapo started with the intention of being a shock jock type show but went higher brow and cum town captured that aesthetic.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I do miss duck hunts.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought the authority was cool in my youth but now literally every movie and tv show is about superheros who swear and have sex and it makes me wanna puke blood

I stand by The Authority because their whole shtick was direct action superheroes on a global scale.

Until they got murdered by a pedophile superweapon, anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, the point of The Authority was not that they drink and gently caress and swear, but that they don't just fight to put the status quo back in place time after time. That idea got lost somewhere along the way, like everything good in superhero comics. Ellis' Stormwatch (and Moore's WildCATs) are better reads.

prefect posted:

Really enjoyed Felix's religious analysis this episode. That guy's sharper than he lets on.

AnEdgelord posted:

Ive thought for a while that American Christianity worshipped Capitalism in a very literal sense but hearing it echoed much more eloquently by the chapo boys was good stuff.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I want the Chapo gang to cut the pretense of "American Protestantism" and just say that the problem is evangelical Christianity. They're a completely irredeemable bloc, a virus on the American body politic. Don't bother reaching out to them.
I think the first time they addressed it was early on, in the Sborps Night episode. To all the dads watching football, God=America=Capitalism.

I liked that Felix went into more detail about the potshots he's taken at American Protestantism from time to time: yeah, eliminating the intercessor between you and God is good in theory, but it lets you just decide that all your dumb contradictory prejudices are what the Bible is trying to say. And to boot, they don't have a personal relationship with God--they go to loving megachurches with thousands of other people, where the pastor is a millionaire rock star who never talks to you! I grew up in an "Evangelical Lutheran" church, but I can't even begin to empathize with that mindset.

Anyway, I think what distinguishes their attitude towards sin and forgiveness is that they think the repentance and forgiveness validates the sin. It was all part of God's plan for you to smoke meth and drive a 4-wheeler into your uncle's pool, and then for everybody to yell at you, and for you to feel bad for a while and drop schmaltzy Facebook posts about you're a flawed human being, and now everything is great again. Just the utter narcissism of people who float through life on a cloud of money.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Authority was a weird read. Started out like a somewhat interesting take on "what if superheroes were utopian anarchists", and then they change writer or something, torture and/or kill off all the characters and replace them with fascists for a long rear end time. It felt genuinely mean-spirited; I wonder if it was planned or the writer just really hated what the Authority was about.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

thotsky posted:

The Authority was a weird read. Started out like a somewhat interesting take on "what if superheroes were utopian anarchists", and then they change writer or something, torture and/or kill off all the characters and replace them with fascists for a long rear end time. It felt genuinely mean-spirited; I wonder if it was planned or the writer just really hated what the Authority was about.

iirc it wasn't planned. millar (was it millar writing it at the time?) started the fascist-Authority arc then got bogged down with other stuff. so tom peyer(?) did an arc with the fascist-Authority, then millar came back to finish it

tom peyer sucks rear end

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The roster replacement was just like a half dozen issue thing by Mark Millar I recall, and the concept was essentially “What if the G8 did a coup against the Authority to ensure all their actions followed corporate neoliberal agenda?”. although it didn’t help that none of the Nega-Authority members were particularly interesting aside from “racist football hooligan”.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

“I feel they are racist, that means they have to be racist.”

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree, but in this case they're not even consuming the media.

This is the point. Not consuming white bro media is politics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thotsky posted:

It’s cuz it went from Ellis to Millar who is a way worse writer

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Will, Matt, Amber, Felix, Virgil.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Until they got murdered by a pedophile superweapon, anyway.

lmao someone please explain this

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

lmao someone please explain this

The G7 had a hillbilly enforcer named Seth who wasted the entire team, and they laid it on thick that he was a pedophile.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I grew up in an "Evangelical Lutheran" church, but I can't even begin to empathize with that mindset.
"Evangelical Lutheran" is the biggest misnomer in American religion. As far as Protestant denominations go, they're chill as gently caress. I went to a college ostensibly affiliated with the ELCA, but not only is it only done for historical symbolism, a third of the college is Jewish.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I've mentally trained myself to think Evangelical refers to Neon Genesis instead of the brainworm cults and I'm enjoying the deliberate misconception recently

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

anime is no less of a brain disease

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

T-man posted:

I've mentally trained myself to think Evangelical refers to Neon Genesis instead of the brainworm cults and I'm enjoying the deliberate misconception recently

Id be down for a church where communion is a condensed recreation of the last 2 episodes. I want the whole congregation clapping and saying congratulations to each other at the end

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I mean a confessional is essentially you telling a priest “I’m so hosed up.”

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

The Falwell episode is brilliant

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

T-man posted:

comingafteryouall posted:

Id be down for a church where communion is a condensed recreation of the last 2 episodes. I want the whole congregation clapping and saying congratulations to each other at the end

see, this just makes me think of

https://twitter.com/Chef_Lu_Bu/status/1166134343351377920

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

When Ellis is on, he's on, and when he's not, he does lolrandom monkeycheese or goes on about Silicon Valley transhumanist nonsense. When Ennis is on, he's on, and when he's not, it's pee pee doo doo human being dyke whore oval office tranny rape is really really funny you guys!

Wait, those aren't the same guy? How did two comics guys named garth with almost identical names get big at the same time?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

catholic converts are so weird. every person i know who was raised catholic is centrist at worst and many are leftists (including myself).

ahmari's a little baby too. if you're gonna be all about how we gotta be authoritarian and stop the libs you can't go blocking people on twitter when they dunk on you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The cool part about chapo making that much money is that that many people are listening to them.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Does anyone have good intro episodes to trillbillies? I tried listening to a few and they didnt land, but I think they might have just been slower episodes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OxySnake posted:

Does anyone have good intro episodes to trillbillies? I tried listening to a few and they didnt land, but I think they might have just been slower episodes.

Tanya Gets a Cat

She tells the story of getting into a fistfight. It's good

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Wait, those aren't the same guy? How did two comics guys named garth with almost identical names get big at the same time?

There's Garth Ennis, who makes comics about the Troubles, and Warren Ellis, who makes comics about technology

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Garth Brooks writes about horses

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/JerryFalwellJr/status/1172978570211352577

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

when you're definitely not mad

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

OxySnake posted:

I haven't listened to the show in a while but I remember episode 80 being really good. Tom talks about all the seedy poo poo he's seen in their small town. Tom also tells a wild story in episode 98. I always love the "speak your piece" segments (basically short letters to the editor in their local paper). I remember liking the RL Stephens ep a lot but that dude has some #metoo accusations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

what the gently caress did this tweet say

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The last chapo ruled, but i dont think liberty is different than any private college about the main mission being the hoarding of wealth. Evangelicals are just so much more entertaining in how they go about it.

A really funny plot twist would be Jerry Falwell getting forced out of liberty for clubbing then being hired to the ivy league because of his success increasing endowments

Serf
May 5, 2011

i know a guy who went to liberty u. he's barely a functioning human being who can't find his way to work if it isn't the exact route his mom showed him. also he's a loving middle school teacher

apparently on friday the teachers were meeting with a hispanic girl and her mom over something and this guy gets up, slams his fist on the table in front of her and says that he is a prophet of god who will "fix" her

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

what the gently caress did this tweet say

Something something the Chapos, Red Scare*, Cum Town (for some reason) and other marginally leftist podcasts are bad because they don’t read books or something - says a hipster nyc photographer

*Dascha-2 actually sucks but she does also read a lot of books

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 15, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

only bad part about the falwell ep is they shoulda used the keedz song that samples "stand on the word" as the outro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

i know a guy who went to liberty u. he's barely a functioning human being who can't find his way to work if it isn't the exact route his mom showed him. also he's a loving middle school teacher

apparently on friday the teachers were meeting with a hispanic girl and her mom over something and this guy gets up, slams his fist on the table in front of her and says that he is a prophet of god who will "fix" her

yea Liberty is for sure an extension of the already completely insane private college system but their heavy layer of absolutely insane religious nonsense does make them a unique flavor of terrible