Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Skiing without poles is fine. Snowblades are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK, seems like snowblades are dumb. Are they purposeless outside of trick parks and halfpipes, is that why? Is there some sort of middle ground, like a pair of skis on the shorter side? How dumb is it really to use full-size skis without poles? Thanks for your help guys.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They are purposeless in all things. Unless riding them in Daisy dukes and a neon pink wife beater.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

you might as well just snowboard my dude :getin:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Skiing without poles is dumb; poles are insanely important when it comes to skiing properly and with good technique and you will at best learn a shitload of bad habits and at worst completely injure yourself at some point because you can't ski right.

Signed,

Someone who skis without poles for 1-2 runs a day (teardown!) and recognizes that it's fun to do, but also that it's way harder to ski as well technically without them.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm mostly basing the 'without poles' thing on an injury I sustained last time I skiid: Hit a patch of ice my first run down, instinctively stuck the pole in the ground and yanked out my shoulder. But you're probably right; I don't want to learn bad technique and there are worse injuries to be had.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm mostly basing the 'without poles' thing on an injury I sustained last time I skiid: Hit a patch of ice my first run down, instinctively stuck the pole in the ground and yanked out my shoulder. But you're probably right; I don't want to learn bad technique and there are worse injuries to be had.

This shoulder injury is 100% due to improper pole usage. People who don’t use poles are often inexperienced and don’t understand how impactful they are.

HookShot posted:

Skiing without poles is dumb; poles are insanely important when it comes to skiing properly and with good technique and you will at best learn a shitload of bad habits and at worst completely injure yourself at some point because you can't ski right.

Signed,

Someone who skis without poles for 1-2 runs a day (teardown!) and recognizes that it's fun to do, but also that it's way harder to ski as well technically without them.

:yeah:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Also, cut the straps off your poles.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Also, cut the straps off your poles.

I don't know if I can get behind you here... Don't wear them on your wrist but I like them half on my hand.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I guess to be more clear, I agree you shouldn’t ski without poles if you’re a newbie over the age of 4

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I guess I have to ask, are you not supposed to wear the straps for the poles? What are the pros and cons here? Are we worried about a pole getting stuck and hurting your arm/wrist? I thought it was part of the rules you had to have the straps?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I guess I have to ask, are you not supposed to wear the straps for the poles? What are the pros and cons here? Are we worried about a pole getting stuck and hurting your arm/wrist? I thought it was part of the rules you had to have the straps?

Like, the rules set out by the Ski Police?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ante posted:

Like, the rules set out by the Ski Police?

I thought that most places had a standing rule that you had to have captive devices on your equipment.

It would be number 5 on this list I imagine:

Seven Points to Your Responsibility Code
1-Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
2-People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
3-You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
4-Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
5-Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
6-Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
7-Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

http://www.nsaa.org/safety-programs/responsibility-code/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Run away ski poles. Hilarious.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Skiing in the trees with your pole straps on is a good way to dislocate your shoulder.

I should clarify: Don’t wear straps in the trees. Don’t wear straps out of bounds. Don’t wear them anywhere a fall might turn into a tumble.

I think Bruce Tremper wrote something about cutting his straps off, so I followed his advice and have been pretty happy with the decision, though I do still occasionally do the dropped pole shuffle.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 13, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dangerllama posted:

Skiing in the trees with your pole straps on is a good way to dislocate your shoulder.

I should clarify: Don’t wear straps in the trees. Don’t wear straps out of bounds. Don’t wear them anywhere a fall might turn into a tumble.

I think Bruce Tremper wrote something about cutting his straps off, so I followed his advice and have been pretty happy with the decision, though I do still occasionally do the dropped pole shuffle.

Good to know, thanks. The sweet bamboo poles I got from Panda Poles had an option to get some poles that just come without straps, so I figured it was probably a thing for higher skilled skiing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Leki poles for life, get better gear you poors

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Although tbh a friend of mine realized I've gotten into the habit of not really holding my poles a lot of the time when I'm skiing because I don't have to with the Leki poles and every time I skied with her this year she made me ski without the straps in so I'd get back into the habit of actually holding my poles and not just lightly gripping them with my thumb and index finger when freeskiing.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Always wear my pole straps, I crash all the time, no pole strap injuries yet

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

these goofy poles grips were a thing in the 80's and 90's and they seem to address the issue of pole strap injury pretty simply, i've no idea why they disappeared

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Do those come with matching onesie?

Ninja cross forum edit: I swear to god I would kill for a vapor pope onesie.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite thing is when you see dudes in their 70s still rocking those.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Time for all the first-years to Whistler to post this screenshot all over the local Facebook page and get super excited about the fact that it's snowing because they don't realize it's just going to get rained away next week anyway and snow doesn't start to stick until October here.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is there anyone in Whistler right now besides locals and year round employees at the resorts? I would imagine that between the Summer and Winter seasons it would become a bit of a ghost town there? I would imagine the majority of the locals work in the resort business in some capacity? I am actually incredibly interested in the logistics of ski towns.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is there anyone in Whistler right now besides locals and year round employees at the resorts? I would imagine that between the Summer and Winter seasons it would become a bit of a ghost town there? I would imagine the majority of the locals work in the resort business in some capacity? I am actually incredibly interested in the logistics of ski towns.

Whistler is full of rich angry boomers now that don't like to ski or mountain bike and think the roads coming in should be closed off

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ante posted:

Whistler is full of rich angry boomers now that don't like to ski or mountain bike and think the roads coming in should be closed off

I am incredibly sad to hear that. Why would someone want to move to Whistler if they don't ski? (I ask after having to arrange a trip to Whistler for my Boomer dad)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

LOL no. It used to be the case, but now it's packed basically year-round. It's not QUITE as bad in that you don't feel like a sardine in a can on Saturday afternoons, but it's insanely busy basically all the time now.

It's to the point where when my mom comes over she wakes up at 7 in the morning so she can come walk with me and my dog and enjoy the village before the people are awake. She hates going into the village later on in the day when it's so busy you can barely move.

Back like five years ago it really was pretty dead in late September/October/early November and then late April/May/early June, and a lot of the locals would be out of work/getting no hours during that time. It was mostly accepted that you had to earn all your money before then to be able to live without an income during those months. There were (to an extent still are) locals deals at every restaurant, that sort of thing.

But now, no. It's packed all the time. It's one of the problems; people here used to put up with the crowds during the busy time so that the resort could become "ours" for those six or so weeks in the spring and fall, when you didn't have to worry about tourists who can't ride a bike running into you on the valley trail, you could hang out by yourself in the parks, etc. But all that is gone, there is no time for the locals to have the resort back to themselves, and that's causing a lot of resentment.

ante posted:

It's also full of poor angry millenials who love to ski and snowboard but can't afford to do it anymore.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, Whistler has the WHA which is an "affordable" housing system. They just changed the rules so that the rentals are based on income. If your family makes over $87k a year, or you have over $120,000 in assets, you can rent a one bedroom for the affordable price of $2000 a month.

Which completely fucks over everyone who's actually become a professional with a real career in this town and has waited out their time on the wait list for years, like we have.

But hey, the municipality also created a brand new job as like town organizer or something for one of their buddies who now makes $250,000 a year in a role that no one thinks is necessary and no one really understands what it even is.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Also, Whistler has the WHA which is an "affordable" housing system. They just changed the rules so that the rentals are based on income. If your family makes over $87k a year, or you have over $120,000 in assets, you can rent a one bedroom for the affordable price of $2000 a month.

Which completely fucks over everyone who's actually become a professional with a real career in this town and has waited out their time on the wait list for years, like we have.

But hey, the municipality also created a brand new job as like town organizer or something for one of their buddies who now makes $250,000 a year in a role that no one thinks is necessary and no one really understands what it even is.

I guess I don't understand. Does the local government or town own a lot of housing, or is this like a rent control measure? Is 87k considered a lot there? Did the rule change so that now you are excluded from being able to rent a place for a reasonable price or is it now that they consider people who are relatively wealthy to deserve subsidized housing and they are eating up the market?

Also, I am sorry that it has had a negative impact for you :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I guess I don't understand. Does the local government or town own a lot of housing, or is this like a rent control measure? Is 87k considered a lot there? Did the rule change so that now you are excluded from being able to rent a place for a reasonable price or is it now that they consider people who are relatively wealthy to deserve subsidized housing and they are eating up the market?

Also, I am sorry that it has had a negative impact for you :(

Sorry, I typed that way too fast. The WHA is basically municpality-owned housing that they developped with the intention of making it affordable housing for locals, since the housing issues here have been happening for a long time (they just happen to be worse than ever right now) and the muni (rightly) recognized that there was going to be no chance of there being an actual community of long-term people living here if they didn't do something.

So they created the Whistler Housing Authority, which is a group of properties they developed. There's a "buy" portion and a "rent" portion, and these changes affect the rental side of things only.

$87k for a single person is a lot, for a family it isn't. The median income in this province is $50k a year, so basically two people who work full-time jobs are already over that limit. I believe the rule changed with the intention of making the affordability more fair for everyone (as in everyone pays an equal percentage of their income into rent) except that it's also not fair because the apartments are exactly the same for everyone regardless of whether they're paying $1200 a month like someone with a lower income would be, or $2000 a month. Plus, it punishes the people who have actually come here, built a life, and have an actual career, compared to the dropkicks who make no money and just want to be ski bums. Not that I have anything against those people, and I think both groups should have access to the affordable housing if they live here, but they should have access to it at the same price.

It's a giant kick in the nuts after years of the price for a one-bedroom being like $1200 a month or something to find out that we're going to have to pay $2000 after waiting even more years to actually get a place on this list, since we're still #412 on the waitlist after three years. Plus, $2000 a month for a one bedroom is not loving affordable housing, I'm sorry. That's basically market rates.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That sounds like a tough spot. I imagine almost all housing not owned the the WHA is owned by Rich folk or property management firms and they are all almost exclusively VRBo/AirBNB? Are the folx who want to build lives there kind of stuck in a bad spot until they get through the list? 421 also sounds like a lot of people to get through.

Do they, or can they, build more housing in the area or outskirts?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That sounds like a tough spot. I imagine almost all housing not owned the the WHA is owned by Rich folk or property management firms and they are all almost exclusively VRBo/AirBNB? Are the folx who want to build lives there kind of stuck in a bad spot until they get through the list? 421 also sounds like a lot of people to get through.

Do they, or can they, build more housing in the area or outskirts?

It's mostly rich folk. A lot of the village is now VRBO/AirBNB and that has affected rentals, but almost nothing outside the village/creekside is zoned for nightly rentals, and after a push a couple of years ago for bylaw to get onto it, most of the listings on those sites that were illegal nightly rentals have disappeared. The threat of $1000/night fines definitely worked. That said, a lot of people who used to rent their village places to long-term locals have now gone the AirBNB route legally, and that has caused issues.

The rest of the properties are mostly owned by out-of-towners who bought them as their holiday home and leave them empty most of the time. In the building I used to live in, there were us, a group of kids, and a family in the ENTIRE complex that actually lived there. This was a block of probably 20 apartments.

Right now, prices are so high that yeah, you're basically hosed unless you get through the list. They are coming down though; we're hoping that by spring they'll be low enough that we'll be able to get out of this place and buy an older 2-bedroom townhouse that's zoned employees-only (there's a handful of buildings zoned like that in town so they're cheaper) in the $600k range. One just sold for around $650k so it's not totally out of the question. But I mean, come on. Those prices are not what ordinary people trying to make a life here can generally afford.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As for building housing, it's very strictly controlled. They don't want to overdevelop the valley, and there is a bedcap in place, so while some stuff is built, it's very, very limited. And there are no real satellite towns; the closest two towns are around a 35 minute drive each way, in either direction.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I just qualified for and signed on affordable housing in Basalt (15 mi out of Aspen) for $2000 for a 2BR. Granted it's 2BR, but it's also quite small. Similar qualification system regarding income. It's sad how hard rich people who already own property are super into loving over literally everyone else, especially people attempting to have a career but who don't have gently caress you ski resort money

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

150%/yr tax on non-primary residences imo

we'll call it a compromise position

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 14, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for all the info, that sounds like a very complex and stressful situation. 600-650k seems like a whole hell of a lot too; I could not afford that even with a relatively high paying job. I don't see how many people could begin to afford something like that working the type of jobs that are likely available there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

150%/yr tax on non-primary residences imo

we'll call it a compromise position

This is a good option. I own a condo in Dillon and summit county has ridiculously low property taxes. About $550 for the year. I kind of get it that we have a high sales tax so the out of towners pay for a lot of the services. Honestly though higher property taxes for non primary residence would work well, you could wave it if owners do long term (1 year min) rentals.

As far as the over $87K and not getting a housing discount in Whistler... I mean $2K for a one bedroom is pretty much the going rate (if not higher) in many desirable places to live. You can argue if that is OK or not or whatever but it is not that outrageous. E: It should take into consideration family size and stuff though which it doesn't sound like it does.

E: in Summit at least there is affordable homes. many places under $300K and you have to work/live in the county to purchase. Not in Breck for sure but in Dillon/silverthorne.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 14, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Thanks for all the info, that sounds like a very complex and stressful situation. 600-650k seems like a whole hell of a lot too; I could not afford that even with a relatively high paying job. I don't see how many people could begin to afford something like that working the type of jobs that are likely available there.

Doesn’t Canada have some weird pricing scheme going on with houses? The TLC shows based out of t’ronnah always have people shopping for insanely priced houses on zero income.

https://twitter.com/housebudgets/status/1172222827531055104?s=21

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would still think 2k a month would be really tough for the people who work most of the services there, and for Whistler it seems like it would be really tough to live outside the area and commute in. If we expect someone to spend half their income on rent, which is still a really high portion of their income, they would need to make 23$ an hour to afford that. (((2,000*12)*2)/2080) =23.07, and I don't know enough about the ski or service industry to say if that is a rate at which someone could average for a full year. Of course if you have two people working full time that becomes a little more manageable though, but if a couple wanted to limit their rent outcome to 1/3rd of their total income they would need to make a combined 34/hr or 17/hr each. If the nature of the work is only seasonal though, than those hourly rates would be on the low side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Honestly it's housing in general, not just ski towns, but when affordable housing caps at $100k to qualify and it's $2000/mo, you're asking the unicorns at the top end of the spectrum to pay a quarter of their income. That's really as much as you want to pay. But then when you have people or households earning 80, 70, maybe 60k or less, you start to have insane proportions of income to rent. It just blows. It might be the market rate, but affordable housing should actually be affordable