Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Amppelix posted:

Oh no, that's going to drive me nuts

Don't forget (chortle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

It's a lot easier to sympathize with Claire and Carl serving the government and Osbourne when you find out how awful the Erebonian nobility is.

Claire's motive for being an ironblood is honestly one of the stranger ones, as far as "reasons to have absolute loyalty to this guy who you obviously realize is evil by this point" go. Lechter's is a bit easier to understand (though still doesn't quite justify serving Osbourne IMO, especially in light of CS3 events). IIRC both are revealed in CS3, though, so I'll avoid elaborating.

Logicblade posted:

So the things I liked about Crossbell were:
1. The Setting. Crossbell is just in a very interesting place narratively. Being the major buffer state between the two largest nation of the settings, and being essentially subordinate to both of them at the same time makes for a really interesting place. Being able to see the situation from the eyes of the police let's you see just how messed up Crossbell is as a place and just how many barriers one has to overcome.
2. The Main Characters. Trails in the Sky did a really great job developing Estelle and Joshua, and while you got insights on some of the other cast, they still didn't feel very fleshed out. By only focusing on four playable characters (and a few guest members from time to time), it really let those characters grow organically and develop in fun and interesting ways.
3. The Investigative Approach. I think the Crossbell games did a good job of making your characters feel like detectives, rather than Bracers. While there are quite a few similarities, you can tell that Lloyd takes a very deductive approach to things, rather than the Sky or Cold Steel games where our heroes just sort of stumble into things.
4. Inevitable Struggle, Unfathomed Force, The Azure Arbitrator, Mystic Core, Get Over the Barrier, Geofront Music, Afternoon in Crossbell, The Music from the Arc-En-Ciel Chapter's Denouement, Formidable Enemy... the soundtrack was dope.

I enjoyed bugging the side characters, but I enjoy doing that in every Kiseki game. And there were a lot of plot things I liked, but I don't want to go into detail spoiling those things.

I agree about all of this, to the extent that I consider Zero/Ao to be unquestionably better than Cold Steel and even better than Sky in most ways (though Sky has some very strong high points). During CS3 I briefly got optimistic than CS would end up returning to Zero/Ao quality, but ended up being disappointed (though CS3 and 4 are still fun games).

Despite superficially having some of Rean's characteristics, I also thought Lloyd is a much better protagonist for reasons I've mentioned before in this thread.

Tales of Woe posted:

i dunno, I think Cold Steel retains the improvements in character writing from Crossbell, they just increased the cast size too much so everyone's character moments are spread thin other than Alisa

The issue with Cold Steel is that it limits its character writing almost entirely to the first game. The characters don't really grow any (or have any meaningful interaction with one another) beyond that point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Letting you mostly pick who you took with you (still in Act 1 of CS2) was a mistake to me because it meant you couldn't have any real interaction between anyone other than the required characters. They do a decent job sometimes with people having a unique line or two but that's it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, minimal Slash/Strike/Pierce theory for Ys 9

Slash: Adol, Doll
Strike: White Cat, Raging Bull
Pierce: Hawk/Renegade

I could be wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hector Delgado posted:

Don't forget (chortle)

Ufufufu~

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Sakurazuka posted:

Letting you mostly pick who you took with you (still in Act 1 of CS2) was a mistake to me because it meant you couldn't have any real interaction between anyone other than the required characters. They do a decent job sometimes with people having a unique line or two but that's it.

This is how they should have done bonding events for the first part of the game. Seeing the different characters' takes on places they probably weren't at during the CS1 field studies. It'd make them less generic than the Ymir ones, too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I kind of hate how all or nothing CS combat is, I just did the Duvalie fight in 2 and absolutely monstered her until about 1/10 of her HP then I accidentally let her have a turn through no fault of my own and she one shot three of my characters from full health. Still managed to win but only through the free DLC full heal/CP powders which just feels like cheating.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

use Defense quartz and Proxy Puppets

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the game focuses on attacking so you make your units hit like a truck but tanking isn’t really a thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oath in felghana has way, way too many flying enemies

my drat thumb's got a cramp from all the jump-slashing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The tornado spell pretty much fixes that entirely

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Sakurazuka posted:

I kind of hate how all or nothing CS combat is, I just did the Duvalie fight in 2 and absolutely monstered her until about 1/10 of her HP then I accidentally let her have a turn through no fault of my own and she one shot three of my characters from full health. Still managed to win but only through the free DLC full heal/CP powders which just feels like cheating.

Yeah, Cold Steel's system heavily relies on blitz tactics, but there are defensive tactics you can use to avoid that kind of thing. With characters like Duvalie, who possess an S-craft, it's kind of important to plan around that. The trick is to try and anticipate when she's gonna use her S-craft (it's either after a certain amount of time has passed or she's eaten a certain amount of damage) and make sure you're prepared. You can either spread out a lot beforehand, so she'll only gank one of you, you can use Adamantium Shield or Jusis' shield craft to deflect it, Fie and Millium each have a craft that make them avoid damage from her S-craft and you can cast Artemis Tears beforehand to double your HP and easily survive it. You have Angel and Iron Master quartz that'll let you survive the S-craft. You have plenty of defensive tools available.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah the game focuses on attacking so you make your units hit like a truck but tanking isn’t really a thing.

Traditional tanking isn't, but dodge-tanking is an extremely reliable strategy. (just not against S-crafts, but there's ways around that too)

Oxxidation posted:

oath in felghana has way, way too many flying enemies

my drat thumb's got a cramp from all the jump-slashing

As Last Celebration said, use the green spell. While it's executing, you can still jump. Simply charge one up near a bunch of flying enemies, fire it off and immediately jump or double jump. They'll be dead by the time your feet touch the ground again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The idea that you can't tank in CS is BS ;)

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cold Steel's an aggressive game but you can do defensive builds that are very effective. The main issue is that if you don't actually invest in defense you will be squishy and offense is a lot easier to build around. Plus some poo poo like Delay and Rean in general are just incredibly broken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the defensive build in cs is stacking evade on fie

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Endorph posted:

the defensive build in cs is stacking evade on fie

That doesn't really help against enemy S-crafts, though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Iron on someone with as much HP as possible and a Seraphic Ring quartz will work, and will work well.

I've been experimenting with Rush again, and holy hell, we're all wrong, Rush is goddamn awesome once you've got Rush2 or whatever between two characters. Massive damage, seemingly larger AoE, though I can't prove that, generally really, really great for ending random fights. Just, compared to always waiting an extra two points for Burst, it's actually kind of stupid good.

So uh, use Rush if you want damage to things during random encounters, and you'll probably finish them faster and more efficiently. Also, Rush will heal the called ally of status, much like using an Overdrive will.

Use Burst on bosses and if you want to gain a lot of CP on multiple characters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Burst cures status too, but you can't use it if anyone's under a status that stops them from acting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Veryslightlymad posted:

Use Burst on bosses and if you want to gain a lot of CP on multiple characters.

Also, use Burst if you want a bunch of Overkills.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Erpy posted:

That doesn't really help against enemy S-crafts, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5qMhnDnWE

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

It's not the evasion stat that protected you there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oath in felghana is a bit of a bastard, isn't it

i just made it to the top of the clock tower and none of the ys titles i've gone through so far (1, 2, origins, and celceta) have slapped me across the chops the way this one did. shielded enemies, teleporting enemies, precision platforming, good grief. makes me glad i stick to Normal difficulty for all of these

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As Felghana was my first real Ys back when it got its TL patch, the movement into the party-based games (as fun as they are) did make the difficulty feel a little watered down.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Oxxidation posted:

i just made it to the top of the clock tower and none of the ys titles i've gone through so far (1, 2, origins, and celceta) have slapped me across the chops the way this one did. shielded enemies, teleporting enemies, precision platforming, good grief. makes me glad i stick to Normal difficulty for all of these

Oh, so you made it to the save point at the top of the clock tower, but no further yet? In that case, I'd be careful about using up your expletitives at this point. You'll need them all for the boss fight one room up ahead. :getin:

Actually, it's not that bad on Normal. On higher difficulties though, hooboy.

Yeah, Felghana really likes to make you work for that win.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

bangin fukken song tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Agean90 posted:

bangin fukken song tho

Thread title please

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are any of the special quartz you get from killing the cryptids in CS2 actually worth it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Pairing them with Overdrive can be extremely effective, I definitely used them in big fights though I can't remember specifics.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh yeah, some are more useful than others, but they're all over-the-top insane. here's what they all do to the best of my memory:

1) sets your party's HP to double its maximum
2) grants 100CP and CP recovery to each party member
3) instant cast art that grants two turns to caster and one turn to the rest of the party
4) AoE nuke that inflicts -50% STR/ATS and confusion
5) AoE nuke that inflicts -50% DEF/SPD and burn

you can cast them for free using a zero arts turn bonus too

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, the Lost Arts can all be game changers if you use them correctly and three of them have an effect unconnected to the Ats stat, meaning even crappy casters like Laura and Fie can blow their otherwise redundant EP on them. The CP-restoring one's the most conventional and mostly useful to refill your CP during a Zero Arts turn or give Spirit Unified Rean the CP he needs to unleash an S-craft at max strength. The Grail Burst one can completely turn a losing battle around due to giving you a truckload of extra turns. The Artemis Tears gives you the HP reserves to tank enemy S-crafts that would otherwise be a total party kill. The offensive Lost Arts are magical S-crafts in the hands of Elliot and Emma. While they usually empty your entire EP supply, they're still subject to the effects of EP-cut type quartz.

U-DO Burger posted:

4) AoE nuke that inflicts -50% STR/ATS and confusion
5) AoE nuke that inflicts -50% DEF/SPD and burn

A little bit more info on these; they hit the entire screen and are also the only attack arts that are non-elemental (despite the animations suggesting a fire and mirage element), so nothing resists them. Nothing's weak to them either, but their base damage is high enough to allow casters to do S-craft level damage with them and they can be powered up by Ats-boosts, Pandora Master Quartz and Hades quartz. (doubles damage on the first art you cast) What's truly unique about them is that both of them carry the All-Cancel property, which completely wipes out enemy buffs of any kind before hitting, including stuff like Arts reflect and Craft guard/Craft reflect that would usually prevent damage altogether. This makes them neat counters to use against Magic Knights, who love to buff their stats at certain points during a fight.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 5, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

you can cast them for free using a zero arts turn bonus too

Or give the support arts to characters that never cast otherwise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, thanks guess I should use them then lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

finished it

my hands feel like they're going to fall off

found out i missed the sidequest that drops the gold-boosting brooch, which probably set me back a bit

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Couple the double hp lost art with Iron. "Above max" HP is "high" HP. An attack that kills literally everyone else might leave your Iron guy up with more than max HP.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
19 days until Monstrum Nox drops in Japanese!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
playing through the Ys games in semi-chronological order (i'm still saving VIII for last and skipping V entirely) is about as silly an idea as i thought it would be, Napishtim is mechanically a step back from Felghana in pretty much every way

i spent half an hour on a single jump in the Ruins of Lost Time, yes that one

it's also a bit weird that V has so many direct connections to the other games for such an oddball in the series - it's where you reunite with Dogi after Felghana, the pirates become recurring characters, and VIII apparently kicks off right after it ends. all that for a janky SNES title whose updated version was never localized

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Does anyone have a completed save file for Trails in the Sky 3rd? I'm streaming the entire series in a limited time frame and I figured it'd be a lot easier if I had a NG+ file on hand. unfortunately for me, my current save file is only like 1/3rd of the way through the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Logicblade posted:

Does anyone have a completed save file for Trails in the Sky 3rd? I'm streaming the entire series in a limited time frame and I figured it'd be a lot easier if I had a NG+ file on hand. unfortunately for me, my current save file is only like 1/3rd of the way through the game.

This should be correct and should work. If not, let me know.

http://www.filedropper.com/svdat029

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Thanks, it seems to work perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Know where I can get an Ouroboros symbol? The blossoming thing on McBurn's coat, or Duvalie's armor and skirt, Joshua's tattoo, etc. I can't find a decent image that isn't just McBurn tilted slightly to the side.