Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm seeing King Crimson in Frankfurt tonight. Anyone know if I should grab earplugs?

If you're close to the stage, you're drat close to a drum kit. But only a couple songs are loud.

Ooh, look for the people in all black standing around the corners of the room, wearing red lanyards. Tell them I said hi from Copenhagen, I was one of them on Monday.

GC folk acting as 4 Quarters Maintainers.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Just got my final 40th anniversary King Crimson discs in the mail. The Power to Believe sounds great, but it was always pretty good. ReconstruKction of Light is a revelation. I was a bit iffy on the track they put out with changed drums but as a whole the album sounds amazing. It definitely feels more than worthy of being a KC album now. I’ve always liked CoL, but this is definitely a new league for it.

RDreamer fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 19, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I sent Pat your message, his reply :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS5rjAI0kAo

This was on my Spotify Release Radar (minus the commentary) and I just happened to listen to it during a shootout in The Division 2 last night and it was so loving perfect for that :discourse:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Last night in London

Sound quality was amazing. I got to year the revamped version of Frame By Frame, bit odd after hearing the Ade version for so long.
No Cat Food, no Sheltering Sky.

Aftershiw, usual crowd of suspects. Bruford was spotted preshow but not after. Met Lisa Wetton, very charming person. Went hunting for food after, ended up in a Lebanese joint in Kensington.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm in love with the new Thank You Scientist. You should listen to it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I still don't love Fear of a Blank Planet but each time I listen to it I like it a bit more. That opening track is great but every track after that is a different kind of energy.

Exploring the discography of Marillion has been disappointing. After falling in love with Marbles I went back and checked their earlier work and something about their production in their earlier records completely breaks their sound for me. I checked out Misplaced Childhood, Season's End, and Afraid of Sunlight and none of those albums did anything for me.

But then I checked out Sounds That Can't Be Made and was really feeling it so I'm guessing somewhere in the late 90's/early 00's they changed their production style and whatever they did made their albums way more listenable for me.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

DoubleCakes posted:

I still don't love Fear of a Blank Planet but each time I listen to it I like it a bit more. That opening track is great but every track after that is a different kind of energy.

Exploring the discography of Marillion has been disappointing. After falling in love with Marbles I went back and checked their earlier work and something about their production in their earlier records completely breaks their sound for me. I checked out Misplaced Childhood, Season's End, and Afraid of Sunlight and none of those albums did anything for me.

But then I checked out Sounds That Can't Be Made and was really feeling it so I'm guessing somewhere in the late 90's/early 00's they changed their production style and whatever they did made their albums way more listenable for me.
Misplaced Childhood I find the cheesiest of Fish-era Marillion. Script For a Jester's Tear is murky in this really fun and interesting way, and Clutching At Straws is their best album more or less ever. (Best H-era album is probably Brave.)

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Omnikin posted:

Personally I think it's really overstuffed. If you showed me any single track I'd probably enjoy it quite a bit, but listening through the whole thing everything blends together and I start to get a bit bored only to realize I'm not even halfway through.

DoubleCakes posted:

My issue with FOABP is the vocal performance. When they were workshopping things live before the release I downloaded a concert tape of the album and listened to it like crazy. There were some really awesome vocal hooks there that seemed to basically disappear on record. Steven sounds kind of docile and drugged. Likely purposefully because of the concept, but it takes away musically. I never really got over that and tend to prefer a lot of the live versions since.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DoubleCakes posted:

The 80s band and the 90s and on band are very different. Different singer, and I like H’s voice pretty well. He seems to do a lot of the songwritng too. All of their H albums have at least a couple good to great songs on them and at worst inoffensive filler songs. Marbles is good, like you said, and you could make one pretty good album from Radiation, Marillion.com, and Anoraknophobia. Maybe try Anoraknophobia if you really wanted to listen to another album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RDreamer posted:

My issue with FOABP is the vocal performance. When they were workshopping things live before the release I downloaded a concert tape of the album and listened to it like crazy. There were some really awesome vocal hooks there that seemed to basically disappear on record. Steven sounds kind of docile and drugged. Likely purposefully because of the concept, but it takes away musically. I never really got over that and tend to prefer a lot of the live versions since.
I was at the NYC show on that tour and the album replacement of Cheating the Polygraph with Way Out of Here just totally hosed the flow of the album's second act

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Omnikin posted:

Me too

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been doing a binge of prog rock lately, going down lists of highly recommended prog rock bands and albums. I'm not finding a lot I like but as someone who's been a self-described fan of prog rock for years it's surprising how much unexplored territory there is, especially in the modern space.

Although Fish-era Marillion wasn't doing anything for me, I did check out Fish's debut Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors and I loved its mix of prog rock and pop rock, especially this jam.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Bent Knee is kinda hit or miss for me, but this is a jam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_pZNNWBnmw

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I've been listening to this new Helium Horse Fly album a lot lately. It lurches between droning repetitive no-wave, like sort of like Gothic period Swans, and mad manic noisy distorted prog madness. It's really not a blend I ever expected but I'm so into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSVUeq1auF0

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I've been listening to this new Helium Horse Fly album a lot lately. It lurches between droning repetitive no-wave, like sort of like Gothic period Swans, and mad manic noisy distorted prog madness. It's really not a blend I ever expected but I'm so into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSVUeq1auF0
I wasn't expecting so much of the Opeth/maudlin of the Well vibe I got from the second track on this album

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
RIP Frankie :(

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/Francesca%20Sundsten%20RIP

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Greetings from TOAPP '19 practicing Red in the Barn

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 13, 2019

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

New stuff from Flying Colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNEW042p0CM

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Camp concert!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That looks like a lot of fun.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BigFactory posted:

That looks like a lot of fun.

I ended up playing on several jams including President Kill by XTC (Pat drumming), Green Onions (Booker T), Mercy Mercy Mercy, and The Chicken by Jaco

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Anyone seen king crimson on this latest tour yet? Catching the show in Toronto tomorrow. Can't wait for it

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

teen bear posted:

Anyone seen king crimson on this latest tour yet? Catching the show in Toronto tomorrow. Can't wait for it

Yup. Leipzig and RAH. They played Cat Food.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Yup. Leipzig and RAH. They played Cat Food.

That's all I needed to hear. The 50th anniversary release today of it was great

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm going to the Montreal show next Thursday. My ex is coming with me, we were still together when we bought the tickets. Whatever, I can definitely get over that grudge for an evening with Crimson.

I'm ridiculously excited, esp. considering its been 8 months since we got the tickets! if anyone had told me 15 years ago when I was getting into prog as a teen that I'd ever see KC live I wouldn't have believed them.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

King Crimson last night was fantastic. They did all the songs from the first album except "I Talk to the Wind." Tony Levin did a wonderful solo on his electric upright for "Moonchild." During the solos for "Starless" they did two choruses of a 12-bar blues. It was a very proggy blues, but still interesting nonetheless.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

King Crimson last night was fantastic. They did all the songs from the first album except "I Talk to the Wind." Tony Levin did a wonderful solo on his electric upright for "Moonchild." During the solos for "Starless" they did two choruses of a 12-bar blues. It was a very proggy blues, but still interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, it was an incredible show as always. Everyone was great but I had no idea how entertaining Mel Collins is to watch play

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, it takes a lot of cheek to quote "Take the A Train" during "21st Century Schizoid Man."

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Apparently security were garbage at enforcing no pictures, from colleagues present.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Apparently security were garbage at enforcing no pictures, from colleagues present.

Where I was — pretty close to the stage — there were a lot of cameras out. Security was shutting down some of them but nothing like when I saw them at Massey hall a few years ago.

Definitely saw Fripp call someone out but unfortunately he did not stop the show to yell at him

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Saw Ayreon's Electric Castle live yesterday. Wasn't expecting to hear Marillion's Kayleigh that night, but it was a pleasant surprise. John de Lancie's rhymed narration was extremely goofy and forced in places, so I'm kind of mixed on this aspect of the show, but other than that it was amazing. Even though it was their fourth show in four days, it was obvious the whole cast were really enjoying themselves. Especially Damian Wilson. The man is almost 50, but is at his peak performance as a vocalist.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Paladinus posted:

Saw Ayreon's Electric Castle live yesterday. Wasn't expecting to hear Marillion's Kayleigh that night, but it was a pleasant surprise. John de Lancie's rhymed narration was extremely goofy and forced in places, so I'm kind of mixed on this aspect of the show, but other than that it was amazing. Even though it was their fourth show in four days, it was obvious the whole cast were really enjoying themselves. Especially Damian Wilson. The man is almost 50, but is at his peak performance as a vocalist.

I’m an enormous fan of prog, but haven’t listened to a fraction of prog metal, primarily the usual suspects. I had never heard of this album until this post, and it absolutely loving amazing. :tipshat:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

XBenedict posted:

I’m an enormous fan of prog, but haven’t listened to a fraction of prog metal, primarily the usual suspects. I had never heard of this album until this post, and it absolutely loving amazing. :tipshat:

Ayreon was probably what got me into prog in the first place. On one of his albums he had Fabio Lione, Andreas Deris, and Bruce Dickinson. I was a huge power metal fan, so I checked it out and it blew my teenage mind.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Ten years ago (plus a few days because I got busy), Porpupine Tree released what would be their last studio album on September 14, 2009. No announcements were made that it would be the last, there was few indications until the very end that things were winding down. After 22 years, Porcupine Tree was finished.

My favorite releases are the live EP We Lost the Skyline, along with the album Fear of a Blank Planet and its companion EP, Nil Recurring.

If you've not listened to Porcupine Tree, give them a chance. Their early career spans psychedelic space rock with Steven Wilson more or less doing it solo; their middle career when they become a proper band is probably their most optimistic and at times almost happy music; and their late career introduces soul crushing themes together with an infatuation with metal.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What are some good albums from the middle period?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

The middle period was shortest, with three studio albums.

Signify (1996) is the first real album as a full band, but it still has a lot of trappings of the older psychadelic era.

Stupid Dream (1999) followed shortly by Lightbulb Sun (2000) are the true marks of the middle era. Both albums are extremely similar to each other. Some of these choices are personal choices, and I'm sure other people will have their own favorites but in general highlights from Stupid Dream include Piano Lessons, Pure Narcotic, and Stranger By the Minute. Highlights for Lightbulb Sun include the title song, Shesmovedon, and The Rest Will Flow. This isn't to say there aren't other good songs on each album, but those are good choices to start with.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I like A Smart Kid the best from Stupid Dream, and though there really isn't any Porcupine Tree album I love in its entirety, Lightbulb Sun comes the closest.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Coincidentally I've been checking out Porcupine Tree's albums again and as cool and experimental Signify was I didn't like it. Up The Downstair was decent though. I don't know if I'll revisit that one. I've pretty much settled that I only really love The Incident and enjoy Fear of a Blank Planet. Sometime this week I'll revisit In Absentia.

I've been binging a list of recommended prog albums and after feeling nothing for Italian prog ever since I first started exploring prog rock, I can say I liked Picchio dal Pozzo's self-titled album, especially the first couple tracks. I'm also starting to warm up towards Canterbury Scene. Currently, I'm still trying out lots of albums from the seventies but I wonder if my enthusiasm will change when I start getting into eighties stuff. I'm absurdly unfamiliar with eighties prog and all I really know about it is Rush and Marillion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
1981-1984 is one of the very best eras of King Crimson, and Absent Lovers is one of the greatest live albums I've heard by any band.

On opposite ends of the progressive rock spectrum, but I think Camel and Art Bears both released their best albums in 1981.

Magma were going through this strange (strange for Magma, and strange for anyone) R&B and disco-influenced phase, and Retrospektiw III, Concert Bobino 1981, and Merci are all worth a listen.

I guess IQ were pretty good, and The Wake is better than anything Marillion did before Clutching at Straws.

Can I get away with calling Dead Can Dance prog? Within the Realm of a Dying Sun is my favorite prog album of the '80s if they count.

Also in the category of not technically counting but I really want them to—Talk Talk. Spirit of Eden is a masterpiece, and I think is generally considered to be the first post-rock album.

Edit: Forgot to mention Thinking Plague. In Extremis and A History of Madness are my favorite albums by them, but all their '80s stuff is really good too.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 18, 2019