Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The news media is running hard as gently caress against Castro right now. Its turning a lot of people against him because he is getting poo poo on from a lot of different sources simultaneously, and the pundits are seemingly unanimously condemning him.

Most of the fucks who know the pundits and media are poo poo about this sort of thing are probably not supporting Castro to begin with.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't benefit from what was a genuinely good performance as a result. I also wouldn't be surprised if the needle barely moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NYTimesPR/status/1172571594977349632

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fool_of_sound posted:

Castro??? Castro had an excellent night for everyone except dramamongering talking heads. And good news for Butt?

e: oh lmao

Those are some SEISMIC SHIFTS! Like a tractor trailer passing a quarter mile away.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

unwantedplatypus posted:

https://youtu.be/ey3j1YpJzJQ

This is just straight up propaganda on the part of the news media.

So business as usual.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Mellow Seas posted:

Those are some SEISMIC SHIFTS! Like a tractor trailer passing a quarter mile away.

I guess it was sort of like a Luntz panel. Same group of people they polled before and after so in theory the methodology is supposed to catch opinion switches absent the noise of a total resample.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Lol at anyone who still says "well, on polling Nate is good." Dipshit is writing winners and losers based on decimal point shifts.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

GlyphGryph posted:

If she were President its worth remembering Warren will not "do" either bill, she will only support them
I think this is very much the point. Senators can walk and chew gum, voting yes on one bill or sponsoring a bill doesn't stop them from voting yes on another bill. If a President wants a bill on their desk, they need to go out and apply pressure to Congress, and it's pretty awkward to give speeches that go "Health care is a human right which is why we need to immediately pass this bill on mental health that phases in transparency on insurance companies over next year, and we also need to immediately pass Medicare For All which will destroy all health insurance companies, making the transparency from that first bill irrelevant". Any time you spend championing incremental solutions is time you aren't championing better reform.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Guys, I have bad news.

Bernie is a co-sponsor of the Behavioral Health Coverage Transparency Act. It would seem that Bernie is not fully committed to Sparkle Motion Medicare for All.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah he's just pretending that mostly margin-of-error poo poo is meaningful. The only think those results actually show is Harris continuing to die and Warren and for some reason Butt making gains. Everything else is jitter.

While that's true, I also am pretty drat suspicious of his polling samples as well.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

Guys, I have bad news.

Bernie is a co-sponsor of the Behavioral Health Coverage Transparency Act. It would seem that Bernie is not fully committed to Medicare for All.

A take as fresh as when Berke Negri waltzed in to make it.

And just like then it remains the case that Bernie isn't running on the BHCTA, whereas it remains the only thing retaining the slightest semblance of a forwarded plan by the plans candidate.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
Who the gently caress thought Buttigeig did good in that debate? He was hands down to blandest, most forgettable candidate up the. I thought Castro actually had a really good showing though so :shrug:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Who the gently caress thought Buttigeig did good in that debate? He was hands down to blandest, most forgettable candidate up the. I thought Castro actually had a really good showing though so :shrug:

:decorum:-obsessed privileged fuckwits who heard his "STOP BEING MEAN TO EACH OTHER! YOU'RE DOING TRUMP'S JOB FOR HIM!!!:qq:" nonsense and found it appealing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Guys, I have bad news.

Bernie is a co-sponsor of the Behavioral Health Coverage Transparency Act. It would seem that Bernie is not fully committed to Sparkle Motion Medicare for All.

This ignores the real point of the criticism, that BHCPTA is what Warren lists as her "plan" for mental healthcare.

Sure, she could just be leading an incompetent campaign that can't focus on the simple details of the policies she promotes, but that's not a great alternative.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Majorian posted:

While that's true, I also am pretty drat suspicious of his polling samples as well.

Jesus, no kidding. This struck me.

quote:

The first wave of the poll was conducted from Sept. 5 to Sept. 11 among a general population sample of adults, with 4,320 respondents who say they are likely to vote in their state’s Democratic primary or caucus. For the likely Democratic primary voter subset of respondents, the poll has a margin of error of +/- 1.68 percentage points.

The second wave of the poll began after the debate ended on Sept. 12 and collected data from 2,202 of the likely Demcratic primary voters who had previously responded to the first wave; it has a margin of error of +/- 2.39 percentage points. Of those respondents, 923 watched the debate.

What in the gently caress? Less than half of the sample size watched the debate. They're using this as a "who won the debate" metric?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That's what I expected which is why I mentioned the media coverage of Castro being so negative probably hurt him.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Mahoning posted:

Jesus, no kidding. This struck me.

What in the gently caress? Less than half of the sample size watched the debate. They're using this as a "who won the debate" metric?

Honestly that's probably overskewed towards people who bothered to watch it vs. people who are just getting talking points secondhand.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Blorange posted:

Honestly that's probably overskewed towards people who bothered to watch it vs. people who are just getting talking points secondhand.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but that just kind of underlines how misleading this is as a "Who Won The Third Democratic Debate?" piece of analysis.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

I suspect it's because she thinks either A) there's no way anything eliminating private insurance passes so promising it is a bad idea, or B) because finance is clearly her priority she think she won't have any remaining political capital for a second fight with a major industry after her flagship stuff goes through. I think that's a poor and overly cautious attitude but I don't think it's coming from a position of 'she secretly hates healthcare'.

I don't think anyone is saying that she hates healthcare - they're saying that she's not committed to pursuing and implementing Bernie's M4A or a comparable plan if she becomes president.

If she supports it but doesn't think it'll pass and therefore doesn't intend to push for it, that's not very useful to the people who want real M4A and are making it a litmus test. Moreover, it puts her position on healthcare somewhere to the right of Harry Truman, who wasn't exactly a progressive superhero. Even Obama, despite his reputation for making concessions before the negotiation even starts, at least made a show of pushing for the public option and forced the Senate to be the ones to remove it.

I personally don't think she's advocating for it very strongly, either - she's backing it when someone comes to her with questions about it, but if she's really throwing her support behind someone else's plan, then it sticks out that she's not really coming to that someone else's defense when that someone else is the one being attacked for their healthcare stance. Yeah, I know, that's a really weird thing to ask. But it's weird in the first place to have a presidential candidate whose position on one of the biggest campaign issues is just "I support this other candidate's plan" without any extra details or embellishments, so it's only natural that's going to lead some weird places. For example, remember the recent kerfluffle where Sanders' campaign has been feuding with fact checkers over how many medical bankruptcies there are? It's very relevant here because Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren was personally involved in the very research project that produced the numbers Sanders is basing the claim on. You'd expect that to be the kind of discussion she'd want to join in on in order to emphasize the need for M4A. Instead, she's completely ignored it, and her silence has been so conspicuous that the fact checkers are now pointing at her refusal to come to the study's defense as another sign pointing toward the numbers being wrong.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://beta.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/13/three-big-winners-houston-debate/?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

This might be the worst post-debate article I've read.

quote:

Thursday’s Democratic debate lacked the sparks and conflicts that characterized the first two outings. It nonetheless produced three clear winners: former vice president Joe Biden, Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.).

He acquitted himself well during the first series of exchanges over health-care policy, deftly tying himself to President Barack Obama’s signature health-care reform while pointing out the weaknesses in Sens. Bernie Sanders’s (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.)’s plans. He did not stumble and looked strong and in command during these exchanges. .... Biden likely found few converts, but his backers found little reason to doubt their man.

Harris was charismatic. Alternately funny and serious, warm and strong, she came across as a real person with real experience and a passion for change. Her answers lacked some of the policy detail of her competitors, but she more than made up for that with her wit and some planned one-liners. ... If Harris can keep this up, she is positioned to pick up former supporters of any of the top three if they falter.

Klobuchar was the surprise of the night, finally showing some energy and life. Her opening statement carefully presented her case as the Midwestern working mom who can unite the country while advancing liberal policy goals. Cleverly blasting Sanders’s signature Medicare-for-all proposal by saying, “While Bernie wrote the bill, I read the bill,” was a masterstroke. Her closing statement was superb as she argued that only someone from the middle of the country could speak to the middle of the political spectrum.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That is indeed pretty bad. I'm not going to click on it, but is it Chris?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that she hates healthcare - they're saying that she's not committed to pursuing and implementing Bernie's M4A or a comparable plan if she becomes president.

Yeah I think it's this. Healthcare is not her priority, and in fact is several steps down her list, so she's not willing to make it part of her flagship legislation. I think that's a perfectly valid reason to choose to support Sanders over her.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Majorian posted:

That is indeed pretty bad. I'm not going to click on it, but is it Chris?

It's Henry Olsen doing the Republican Best Friend thing

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

It's Henry Olsen doing the Republican Best Friend thing

Oh, well, I mean, people like him say they're not going to vote Trump, so clearly they can be wooed to vote Dem!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh, nobody has mentioned this, so maybe it’s just me, but didn’t Harris seem, like... relaxed last night? Too relaxed? Slightly impaired, even? I thought she sounded funny from her opening statement, like she was slowed to 80% speed or something. Just me?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Oh, nobody has mentioned this, so maybe it’s just me, but didn’t Harris seem, like... relaxed last night? Too relaxed? Slightly impaired, even? I thought she sounded funny from her opening statement, like she was slowed to 80% speed or something. Just me?

A few people noted that. It was a bit strange.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Mellow Seas posted:

imagine having to solve for all that before you can even open your mouth

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1172597132412575744

Nah, Biden's totally fine

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah definitely not you. A lot of people here, on twitter, etc, thought she sounded sloshed. Most likely explanation is that she's trying to come off as folksy, relaxed, and relatable, and that's not at all how she actually is. So she came off as just loving weird.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yang's actual first ever debate stunt was hot boxing Harris. He just won't own up until New Hampshire.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

https://youtu.be/ey3j1YpJzJQ

This is just straight up propaganda on the part of the news media.

This is just infuriating. I'm not a Castro supporter but that was just such a good moment in the debate. Like people aren't supposed to be angry when someone publicly tries to backtrack on their actual plan? Calling that poo poo out should happen MORE, not less. Especially when you have someone like Biden, who had more egregious senior moments last night.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i cannot imagine the level of brain bugs required to think that klobuchar line wasn't embarrassing let alone a masterstroke.

ahahah gently caress he works for ed whelan's group.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jay-V posted:

This is just infuriating. I'm not a Castro supporter but that was just such a good moment in the debate. Like people aren't supposed to be angry when someone publicly tries to backtrack on their actual plan? Calling that poo poo out should happen MORE, not less. Especially when you have someone like Biden, who had more egregious senior moments last night.

Yeah, but this is the Democratic party, where politeness is more important than policy and the primary is a largely ceremonial exercise whose main purpose is to grant the DNC's chosen candidate a veneer of legitimacy. So, expect a lot more of this through next spring.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Castro pile-on is so loving transparent and stupid (and will totally work). "Did you forget what you said two minutes ago?" is not an explicitly age related attack, it's only being read as such because everyone knows that Biden's brain is pudding. If anyone else contradicted themselves, he could use that line and it would just be like, catching someone in a shifting position.

Ugh everything is so stupid.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe she should have spent more time with North Dakota voters

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I know bernie is going to win because look at this smooth rear end loving handshake

This is a better metric to use than all of the post-debate analysis i have read.

Please pay me lots of money now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I know bernie is going to win because look at this smooth rear end loving handshake

This is a better metric to use than all of the post-debate analysis i have read.

Well...poo poo...I mean that just says it all. So smooth and natural, fresh and clean.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The mainstream media would still have a chance of surviving if this were the level of analysis they put out.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

The mainstream media would still have a chance of surviving if this were the level of analysis they put out.

I would respect Chris Cillizza a lot more if all he put out where foot fetish pieces. At you know his heart would be in it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
too lofty of a goal, too horny

just as horny, but more likely: top 10 brands of american cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/schwartzbCNBC/status/1172610416150810624

priceisright_horns.wav