Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

You can have mirrormode enter the battle not as a copy of any artifact or enchantment and that's pretty bizarre to me

Spark Double works the same way

I feel like my Tezz MOTB/Smothering Tithe/Emergency Powers deck is getting closer and closer to being decent

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Sampatrick posted:

You can have mirrormode enter the battle not as a copy of any artifact or enchantment and that's pretty bizarre to me

I imagine it's to keep potential synergies beyond Standard open for more interesting lines of play, similar to Spark Double.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This card is sloooooooooooooow as gently caress. You can only realistically cast it after casting a bunch of spells and it doesn’t start doing anything until you untapped with it. It’s like that rw token making enchantment; the meta would have to be turbo-glacial to justify such a slow card

Yeah, I was looking at it thinking how it's probably too slow for limited. It's a neat card and there's probably things to do with it, but I imagine most of the time you'd rather just play a Drawn From Dreams or any other card draw spell.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
"Grumgully, the Generous" is an A+ name. Awesome art too.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hmm...

Chandra 3, Krenko, Nightpack Ambusher, Legion Warboss, Biogenic Ooze

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
and he's an uncommon

that's pretty swell

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

naya tokens with proliferate

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

scg deliberately has their writers do this style of article to drive sales

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheMaestroso posted:

I imagine it's to keep potential synergies beyond Standard open for more interesting lines of play, similar to Spark Double.

It's so that if your opponent does something to the thing you want to copy in response to Mirror/Double being played, you're not forced into copying something lovely.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sampatrick posted:

Can you imagine jumping through all the loops to put a Magic Mirror in play and then your opponent just Teferi bounces it

(I think the card is actually good but still)

Only the active player discards to hand size at EOT, correct? So if you have 20 cards in hand, opponent uses Teferi to bounce your mirror on his turn, you're not discarding 14 cards? You would have an opportunity to cast mirror on your turn to get the static 'no hand size' ability running again?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Devor posted:

Only the active player discards to hand size at EOT, correct? So if you have 20 cards in hand, opponent uses Teferi to bounce your mirror on his turn, you're not discarding 14 cards? You would have an opportunity to cast mirror on your turn to get the static 'no hand size' ability running again?

correct

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

I suppose we can chalk this one up to another good one for Feather decks.

little munchkin posted:

scg deliberately has their writers do this style of article to drive sales

True. I wonder how many times Soorani actually believes it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

It's so that if your opponent does something to the thing you want to copy in response to Mirror/Double being played, you're not forced into copying something lovely.

Hey. Sometimes you just need to get two U devotion on the field. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Non human lord lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I am the bone of my sword...

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
There’s lots of durdly stuff that have potentially super powerful effects that are probably are too expensive and slow for constructed so I think the limited environment is gonna be fun as hell

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Grumgully and his name look and sound like a evil smurf.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the crow is shouting

he looks like he has a big ol' smile

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Has he ever written a different article? His whole schtick is "buy this terrible card from SCG to play a bad control deck that I won't be playing at the SCG Tour in *city nowhere near you*

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

the crow is shouting

Do not cry for Syr Tasdale. DO NOT CRY!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When was the last time control decks won games with a card that did absolutely nothing before they had the game already won in practice?

I guess it doesn't sound as nice as writing "here's the finisher control has been looking for!" about Bell-haunt.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Huxley posted:

When was the last time control decks won games with a card that did absolutely nothing before they had the game already won in practice?

I guess it doesn't sound as nice as writing "here's the finisher control has been looking for!" about Bell-haunt.

Basilica Bell-Haunt reads so disappointingly, everyone in this thread called it lame when it was spoiled, and it's hard not to see why. I think it caught a lot of people by surprise by just being so functional.

I still have trouble believing it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

turns out it had win the game against RDW hidden in its text

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm wrong a lot but I'm pretty sure I was a Bell-Haunt believer

Of course I also was an Ixalan Jace believer so, you know

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elyv posted:

I'm wrong a lot but I'm pretty sure I was a Bell-Haunt believer

Of course I also was an Ixalan Jace believer so, you know

Pirate Jace will always have a special place in my heart for helping me create a arbitrary number of bolases.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 13, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kild posted:

turns out it had win the game against RDW hidden in its text

It's super obvious in retrospect that a thing that's 1 bigger than Chainwhirler and does two things on ETB that just wreck aggro strats.

Did we have Hero of Precinct One revealed then? IIRC it and Bell-Haunt are best buds.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

InterrupterJones posted:

I suppose we can chalk this one up to another good one for Feather decks.

Meh. The main guy you want to give trample in Feather is Legionnaire and he's human so not affected by the spell.

Also the "attacking creature" restriction means you can't save your dude from a burn spell with this thing.

Maybe this is sideboardable against decks with lots of small tokens? I don't know, not impressed.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Back when people were complaining about Bell-Haunt on Twitter, one of the designers replied to say it got emergency nerfed during Limited playtesting, which makes me wonder how good it was originally.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tulul posted:

Back when people were complaining about Bell-Haunt on Twitter, one of the designers replied to say it got emergency nerfed during Limited playtesting, which makes me wonder how good it was originally.

If I had to guess, its ETB did a third thing, either drawing a card or damaging the opponent.

A keyword or two is also possible.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I believe the original effect was a life drain (no discard) and an activated ability that let you flicker the thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Not gonna lie, kind of excited to see the rest of the typed common lands cycle.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If I had to guess, its ETB did a third thing, either drawing a card or damaging the opponent.

A keyword or two is also possible.

Yeah. It feels like it should have flying, but it doesn't.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kurieg posted:

Yeah. It feels like it should have flying, but it doesn't.

I’m almost sure this is what it is from the art.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

wanna put helm of the host on him and durdle forever

quote:

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

THEY’RE STRIKING MY CREATURES
AND THEN THEY’RE GONNA STRIKE ME
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-update-historic-2019-09-12

Historic will be 1:1 for wildcard redemption after playerbase dissatisfaction.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Basilica Bell-Haunt reads so disappointingly, everyone in this thread called it lame when it was spoiled, and it's hard not to see why. I think it caught a lot of people by surprise by just being so functional.

I still have trouble believing it.

I still can’t believe Arboreal Grazer, which was seen as maybe the worst or among the worst cards in its set, is an integral part of several tier 1 decks

Magic rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Praying I never open this in any pack I crack.