Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Even with the Speed penalty Paladins are still a solid choice. The game is pretty fond of terrain and stairs though, but Paladins can still dismount. They have 6 move and even gain some speed when dismounted. Sylvain and Ferdie are pretty good in Paladin for the Lancefaire boost to Swift Strikes.

Genealogy indirectly nerfed fliers by having road tiles, which were kinda the opposite of forests in that they lowered Avoid but gave a bonus to Movement. Fliers couldn’t take advantage of this, so while sometimes they could get ahead of the pack by flying over terrain, other times they’d lag behind. It was a good system and they should bring back roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Frankly the -10% spd growth is seriously not a major point against the class (in a vacuum), since -1 spd on average for ten levels' worth of Canto is a pretty fair, even favorable tradeoff.

The bigger issue is that the class line has the upfront cost of having a negative base speed modifier (which is a bigger opportunity cost at Advanced, when most other classes give bonus speed, meaning you're effectively giving up 4-5 Spd) and maps just love putting ground obstacles like stairs and forests that makes it difficult to use Canto, so the tradeoff becomes more questionable. And of course fliers are so completely unchecked that the cavalries don't really feel worth their drawbacks in comparison.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 13, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Frankly the -10% spd growth is seriously not a major point against the class (in a vacuum), since -1 spd on average for ten levels' worth of Canto is a pretty fair, even favorable tradeoff.

The bigger issue is that the class line has the upfront cost of having a negative base speed modifier (which is a bigger opportunity cost at Advanced, when most other classes give bonus speed, meaning you're effectively giving up 4-5 Spd) and maps just love putting ground obstacles like stairs and forests that makes it difficult to use Canto, so the tradeoff becomes more questionable. And of course fliers are so completely unchecked that the cavalries don't really feel worth their drawbacks.

Yeah it's the negative modifier combined with the negative speed when mounted that often makes your cavaliers really disappointing in combat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also, the natural path to a wyvern rider is Brigand, one of the only masteries worth learning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the natural path to wyvern is pegasus because flying is just as important in the 10-20 range as it is in 20+

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The....gender locked class?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do wonder if Maddening will make fliers less overpowering given how much stronger and more accurate enemy archers are. Though I guess being able to dismount lessens that issue quite a lot.

cheetah7071 posted:

the natural path to wyvern is pegasus because flying is just as important in the 10-20 range as it is in 20+

rip male units

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

I do wonder if Maddening will make fliers less overpowering given how much stronger and more accurate enemy archers are. Though I guess being able to dismount lessens that issue quite a lot.

rip male units

The return of Galeforce

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

The....gender locked class?

yeah men can't take the natural path to wyvern it sucks

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

A cool thing I want to highlight about this game's music (which, as we all know, owns)

In the Kozaki duology, they introduced the concept of the battle theme carrying through the entire map, but intensifying during combat. Nice idea, but I always felt the combat themes were a bit wasted since they were always the better version of the song yet you only hear it in sporadic bursts. Well, in this game they inverted that! Now the good version of the themes just plays on the map, and the combat versions are reduced, full of percussion and more aggressive, which also makes total sense thematically.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you want to make someone like Edelgarde a Wyvern Lord it makes more sense to make her a Brigand than a Pegasus Knight since the latter requires lance skill and doesn’t really play to her stat strengths as well

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pegasus Knight requires C lances which you will need anyway for Wyvern Lord. I don't see the problem, and Darting Blow is really good on characters like Edel who may or may not get enough speed to reliably double attack everything.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I'm going hard in the other direction with every character I can for my current play through. Raphael as a priest? Dedue as a mage? Yes Please. Bernadetta the Heavy Armor? Maryanne the Wyvern Knight? gently caress me up fam

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Weight -3 is honestly just as good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Weight -3 is honestly just as good.
Speed +2 is better than Weight -3 (and darting blow is better than both)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah men can't take the natural path to wyvern it sucks

there's not really a natural path to wyvern at all, you're always missing something

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Onmi posted:

berniegate.png

The change makes no sense to me. "...he'd do things like tie me to a chair" doesn't explain anything about how that would make someone a good wife. It makes her father just seem capricious and kinda stupid.

I guess the original translation embellished the Japanese, but the whole being tied to a chair thing makes a lot more sense. It's clear her father thought a good wife should be submissive, and that forcing someone to stay quiet for long hours while tied to a chair could instill that trait in her.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm angry when game devs change things but is Bernie's breasts the same size?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leal posted:

I'm angry when game devs change things but is Bernie's breasts the same size?

ignatz is 4cm taller in part 2 than he was pre-patch

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
loving CENSORSHIP

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. There's something really amusing to me about having the main character be the 'sexy one' out of the cast. :v:

Absurdly impractical outfits in FE are nothing new and it is pretty cool. :shrug:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Does Caspar's dad do anything bad other than siding with the Empire on all routes?

Well, that and making Lindhardt do exercise that one time?

caspar has multiple supports that are like "uh sorry my dad ruined your country and life"

his dad is apparently extremely good at killing foreigners, caspar has mixed feelings about his family as a result

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 13, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Eimi posted:

All the parents of the Eagles nobles were in on the coup that rendered El's father powerless and lead to El being experimented on. Now I doubt that's the end goal of all of them, and the coup could be seen as a reaction against her father trying to centralize power, but they still did it!

In retrospect, this leads to a recognizable pattern where nearly all the noble kids derive their personality from "I actually believe in the ideals that my father espouses, even if he only pretends to."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Caspar's dad is all about doing colonialisms and Caspar feels really guilty about his family's involvement in that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Andrast posted:

Female Byleth's outfit is a fashion disaster

I don't think you know much about fashion. :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah Caspar's dad is all about doing colonialisms and Caspar feels really guilty about his family's involvement in that.

he's also apparently hilariously powerful as Caspar kind of shits himself at the thought of fighting him on non-empire routes, the only time Caspar doesn't want to fight ever

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It's a bloody shame we never see him like we do with seeing Felix's dad. All that buildup to never fight him

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yinlock posted:

he's also apparently hilariously powerful as Caspar kind of shits himself at the thought of fighting him on non-empire routes, the only time Caspar doesn't want to fight ever

Should be a fight where both Caspar's father and his lovely brother are on the map. Father is stacked up, the brother has single digit stats

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Yinlock posted:

I mean, I assume Caspar's dad is much scarier in Caspar's mind than in real life.

It's been scientifically proven that Lindhardt's dad could beat him in a fight.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok at the end of the game and my complaint about game being too easy is finally no longer valid

But now I’m thinking the new difficulty mode is just gonna be unbearably difficult on these later missions

yeah I kinda wish the whole game had the final mission-type stats, where everything is actually a threat so you need to be careful but you don't have to constantly walk on eggshells and turtle up

rannum posted:

Should be a fight where both Caspar's father and his lovely brother are on the map. Father is stacked up, the brother has single digit stats

class: failson

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I assume Caspar's dad is much scarier in Caspar's mind than in real life.

It's been scientifically proven that Lindhardt's dad could beat him in a fight.

Caspar doesn't seem like the type to overestimate people when it comes to fighting

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rand Brittain posted:

In retrospect, this leads to a recognizable pattern where nearly all the noble kids derive their personality from "I actually believe in the ideals that my father espouses, even if he only pretends to."

Yeah, I was very confused at how Ferdinand turned out how he did given who his father his, but that read, and also the fact that he wasn't actually raised at home does a lot to see how it would turn out. Also I do like that it avoids the whole, apple doesn't fall far from the tree/evilness is genetic thing that can turn up in other fantasy narratives.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Speed +2 is better than Weight -3 (and darting blow is better than both)

My understanding is that Weight -3 is always better than Speed +2 unless you have enough STR for Weight -3 to not apply. Anyway, NG+ Edel should have -5 available early on :V

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh no Linhardt stop telling me how sad fighting and killing makes you, especially after I just made you fry everyone in Remire Village with Bolganone :smith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arkeus posted:

My understanding is that Weight -3 is always better than Speed +2 unless you have enough STR for Weight -3 to not apply. Anyway, NG+ Edel should have -5 available early on :V

Speed also improves avoid while weight-3 does not.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Zore posted:

Speed also improves avoid while weight-3 does not.

Avoid = Attack Speed, so Weight-3 should give more Avoid than Speed+2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is true but unconditional speed is just so much better than conditional that speed +2 wins anyway... but the actual point i'm making is that both skills are really minor and not worth devoting a slot to. +6 speed is actually something to care about.

E: Also I forgot about the fact the 3H has separate formulas for magical and physical avoid like the NES games, and only base speed is taken into account for magic:

(it would be nice if the game ever indicated this)

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 13, 2019

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

It’s weird how much the game bugs up Caspar’s dad; Lorenz’ dad and Hilda’s brother despite the fact we never meet them

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Calico Heart posted:

It’s weird how much the game bugs up Caspar’s dad; Lorenz’ dad and Hilda’s brother despite the fact we never meet them

Either that's cut content or they're gonna show up in those extra story missions.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah, Papa Lorenz using trained monsters to murder merchants probably should’ve had more of a resolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

VolticSurge posted:

Either that's cut content or they're gonna show up in those extra story missions.

Hilda's brother is absolutely on purpose.