Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
cancel culture isn’t even a real thing so it’s handwringing about a mostly empty threat.

which is usually how handwringing goes granted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

you're not stopping racism by digging up poo poo one person said years ago, you're doing it for a fleeting sense of power

the only thing that needs to be canceled here is twitter

this is insanely dumb

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
the thing is, despite the doomsaying bullshit the only people who have ever been ~cancelled~ were for legit awful things, no one is actually getting their career ruined because some dork dug up the time the made a lame joker on twitter.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

(dead)
(Canada)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
snl did a paid promotional sketch where they spent 7 minutes talking about how the new coffee at burger king is actually pretty good. also they had trump host during his election campaign.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
we can't do anything about dan crensaw getting lionized, but we can get a mid-level comedian fired for making fun of chinese food, so let's focus on that instead

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

OldTennisCourt posted:

the thing is, despite the doomsaying bullshit the only people who have ever been ~cancelled~ were for legit awful things, no one is actually getting their career ruined because some dork dug up the time the made a lame joker on twitter.

Except for the Dixie Chicks.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

you're not stopping racism by digging up poo poo one person said years ago, you're doing it for a fleeting sense of power

you're so loving lame that you can't even properly dunk on a "Comedy Labor Journalist" trying to get a guy fired

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

one of the greatest plights in comedy today is the fact that people can go back, look at things that comedians have said in the past and call them assholes for saying it. this is an entirely new phenomenon known as "cancel culture" and comedy as a field is still trying to come to terms with it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

wrong

right, SNL is at its worst ever

the nadir was kate mckinnon dressed up as hillary clinton singing leonard cohen's hallelujah after she lost

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Al! posted:

the nadir was kate mckinnon dressed up as hillary clinton singing leonard cohen's hallelujah after she lost

No, it was "Mueller, Baby" and it's not close. SNL is so weird because 1/4th of the sketches are really really brilliant and a lot of people think the 90s/early 2000s were good when they really weren't at all, but 3/4 of the sketches now are so abysmal #sponcon that it drags the rest of the show down.

Weekend Update is, however, at its peak smug worst, and only Pete Davidson saves it when he's on WU.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Badger of Basra posted:

this is insanely dumb

don't sign your posts!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't sign your posts!

That tweet is like Woke Mad Libs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't sign your posts!

I hate how these posts always try to combine together as many buzzword phrases as possible, like they are casting a spell formula and trying to maximize damage.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

female coded interest

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol she killed her account

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

steinrokkan posted:

I hate how these posts always try to combine together as many buzzword phrases as possible, like they are casting a spell formula and trying to maximize damage.

first you must collect the ambient wokeness radiating off of you, then focus it through a crystal to produce concentrated essential wokestuff from which posts like that must be crafted

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

is she saying that hatred of astrology is why women don't take stem classes

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

What's with the woke astrology thing? Like I know what happened in terms of timeline but like Reagan and Murdoch are perfectly comfortable with astrology, it's less threatening to traditional power structures than tax cuts and action movies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tulip posted:

What's with the woke astrology thing? Like I know what happened in terms of timeline but like Reagan and Murdoch are perfectly comfortable with astrology, it's less threatening to traditional power structures than tax cuts and action movies.

"Jerry rolled his eyes at me when I read him his horoscope, finally a proof that I'm an oppressed minority, the internet needs to hear about this"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"that guy's racism isnt the problem, his racism being documented is the problem"

itd be fine if it was a lovely joke but thats like 2 minutes of an observation (there are restaurants in chinatown) constantly punctuated by slurs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

OldTennisCourt posted:

That tweet is like Woke Mad Libs

The libs are pretty mad, yeah

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Unpopular Opinion: Your boyfriend's dislike of The Notebook is a subtle sign of Alt-Right tendencies and along with his masculine coded desire to watch Goodfellas is proof positive of his misogynistic influence casting upon your feminsitic qualities and radiance of woke quotient furthermore

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

we have a film review thread in this sub?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

my only hot take is that al franken didn’t deserve it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

an actual dog posted:

is she saying that hatred of astrology is why women don't take stem classes

shes saying that men are only pretending that they think astrology is a hoax in order to make women look illogical and therefore unqualified for stem stuff

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"more women in stem" is the new "hire more women concentration camp guards"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/NomiBlockS/status/1172577271691038727?s=20

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

a fatguy bald spot posted:

my only hot take is that al franken didn’t deserve it as much as other sitting senators

He's still a creep

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Wait, bappin has fans???

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

a fatguy bald spot posted:

my only hot take is that al franken didn’t deserve it.

Not for the USO stuff but didn't a ton of women say he groped them during photo-ops while he was campaigning?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

little munchkin posted:

shes saying that men are only pretending that they think astrology is a hoax in order to make women look illogical and therefore unqualified for stem stuff

also that astrology is so inherently for women to the point that criticizing one criticizes the other

and she seemed to be conflating astrology with science

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the curse of grinding the bad hipster hoe circuit is the high percentage chance you’ll have to do random poo poo for the blood moon or retrograde Saturn

still worth imo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ikanreed posted:

Wait, bappin has fans???

friends, I guess

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

an actual dog posted:

friends, I guess

Imagine hanging out with someone who will call you an assadist because you got them the wrong gift for their birthday

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

hey snow the cops were out here looking for you on the block, knowwhatimsayin?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ClenchedFisk/status/1172621750066188289?s=20

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

What if we took all the people in prison and swapped them for all the people who drink soylent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Soylent is probably the only food more disgusting and unhealthy than prison bread.