Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You people in the GTA/Ottawa, have you heard of fibrestream? Looks like limited availability, but they are about to roll out the first 5000mbps residential service. For $100/mo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

codo27 posted:

Looks like limited availability

No kidding.

Fibrestream posted:

5000 Mbps is available at the following addresses:
103 The Queensway Toronto
105 The Queensway Toronto
12 York St. Toronto
125 Village Green Scarborough
135 Village Green Scarborough
14 York St. Toronto
150 Sudbury Toronto
170 Sudbury St. Toronto
208 Queens Quay Toronto
209 Fort York Boulevard Toronto
21 Carlton St. Toronto
215 Fort York Boulevard Toronto
218 Queens Quay W Toronto
219 Fort York Blvd Toronto
23 Carlton St. Toronto
231 Fort York Toronto
25 Carlton St. Toronto
38 Abell St. Toronto
60 Absolute Ave. Mississauga
637 Lake Shore Blvd. West Toronto
68 Abell St. Toronto
8 York St Toronto
90 Stadium Rd. Toronto

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pure guess based on where I think those addresses are: they're only available in newly built condos?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Mostly built in the last five years by the looks of it. A couple of those are over ten, but not many.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I lived in 21 Carlton over ten years ago fwiw. I think we were the first occupants of someone's investment unit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm guessing they're in the same boat as beanfield in that anything built after 2001 or so could theoretically be on-net, because code requirements make it trivial to run fibre in the buildings, it's just a matter of getting the condo board to spring for the install fees.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The fibre provider eats the fees for exclusivity and free marketing.

I really liked Coextro fwiw at 111 Elizabeth. Affordable, fast, symmetric, unlimited. In five+ years had one three hour block of downtime, and two more that were less than fifteen minutes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, I didn't know that. I'm usually dealing with commercial stuff, and boy howdy do they love their install fees. Usually it's either a few grand up front or you need a minimum number of other subscribers at the site.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 3, 2019

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Fibrestream is great and super horny to get into any condos they can. Can also confirm that condo boards are incredibly resistant to having fiber installed for ??reasons?? especially when you approach them as a renter

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If they're like Novus in Vancouver (been around longer but do exclusively fibre buildouts in newer/luxury buildings) they're probably awesome speedwise. Can't speak to customer service or support though Novus is quite good there too

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Some idiot landscaper / hole digging company managed to once again (twice this year and counting so far) completely sever the rogers line servicing the entire street today.

When I walked up and asked them what they were doing, they were happily using a backhoe to excavate the hole they had started, had no idea about any rogers line, and when I pointed to the severed cable sticking out from under the backhoe's tread he said oh ya they were just in the middle of fixing that

Why and how do these companies get work when they clearly can't even do a locate first, the time before this run in they managed to nick the MAIN GAS LINE for the street as well.

To Rogers' credit , their work crew arrived probably 20 minutes after I had called to report the outage, and service was restored shortly after. Really fast response!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I did a locate this summer to plant a tree and it took 19 days to come back.

That certainly doesn't excuse them for not doing it, but with delays like that, it's not surprising they cut corners and risk it.

Funny enough though Bell updated the ticket seconds after it was made. They didn't even bother to send anyone out. I could see Bell's lines entering my house near where I was digging too. Luckily I don't use their service so I didn't care.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

Some idiot landscaper / hole digging company managed to once again (twice this year and counting so far) completely sever the rogers line servicing the entire street today.

When I walked up and asked them what they were doing, they were happily using a backhoe to excavate the hole they had started, had no idea about any rogers line, and when I pointed to the severed cable sticking out from under the backhoe's tread he said oh ya they were just in the middle of fixing that

Why and how do these companies get work when they clearly can't even do a locate first, the time before this run in they managed to nick the MAIN GAS LINE for the street as well.

To Rogers' credit , their work crew arrived probably 20 minutes after I had called to report the outage, and service was restored shortly after. Really fast response!

The exact same thing happened to me few years back, except that I was with Start.ca at the time, and therefore when Rogers fixed the broken lines, they also unplugged my cable at the box because ... reasons (3rd party gently caress you i guess). I didn't know, I had to call support, a tech came and plugged it back in. 1 week without internet. I'd loving ... ughhh.

No, I'm not still bitter about it, why do you ask? Does it show?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

keep it down up there! posted:

I did a locate this summer to plant a tree and it took 19 days to come back.

That certainly doesn't excuse them for not doing it, but with delays like that, it's not surprising they cut corners and risk it.

Funny enough though Bell updated the ticket seconds after it was made. They didn't even bother to send anyone out. I could see Bell's lines entering my house near where I was digging too. Luckily I don't use their service so I didn't care.
Coincidentally, I did a line locate for a fence a couple years back and they were over the next day although this is in Alberta.

Do contractors that do this poo poo get presented with an invoice for the cost of repair?

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Blue On Blue posted:

When I was a tech this was a regular seasonal occurrence with boulevard work being done. In spec burial depth is about 6", they (Rogers) don't care about locates because paying a tech piece work to splice repair is 10x cheaper then a full locate or reburial and works most of the time, or you get a fancy templine for a year while they try to get a contracting company to do the burial. When I left they had issues getting contracting companies to take burial jobs because they were lowballing hard. Backlog in the southwestern Ontario area was over 4000 as of last summer at the least.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So I received an email today...

quote:

Your TekSavvy Internet package, Cable 150 Unlimited / Câble 150 Illimité with Unlimited download on your account is having the monthly cost dropped from $68.95 to $62.95 on your next billing cycle! That's a drop of $6 on your regular monthly package price. No action on your part is required – it’s just going to happen automatically.

Needless to say, we’re very excited to be able to offer more value to our customers. This change to your account is due to a long overdue correction on one of our key costs of supply, wholesale network access. TekSavvy pays incumbents to connect our network to their last-mile access points to serve you. For years, TekSavvy sounded the alarm about incumbents gaming the system to inflate wholesale rates, which meant retail Internet prices were too high. We struggled to compete while the incumbents overcharged their competitors like us. Finally, after a lengthy regulatory battle, the CRTC corrected the rates to more reasonable levels. Now, we’re passing those savings on to you – our valued customers.

Emphasis mine. I hope we see more action from the gov finally getting off its rear end.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Did some CRTC action go down today? I got bumped on my start.ca connection from 150mbps to 250mbps at no cost

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippecanoe posted:

Did some CRTC action go down today? I got bumped on my start.ca connection from 150mbps to 250mbps at no cost

It went down months ago, but even the smaller ISPs take some time to revise their billing and tiering system, and that’s just happening this week.

There is the FTTP decision due soon as well, so 2020 might see competition there.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
This made me go check the service available, and Teksavvy and Start no longer offer DSL, just cable internet. Currently on Bell DSL, but even they don't show that anymore. Just Fiber to the neighborhood. I'd always assumed that means you still use cable or DSL, just it jumps onto Fiber sooner. Or do they actually run something like cat5 to your home?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Teksavvy's site is down for me, but Start is still showing VDSL 50

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Teksavvy's site is down for me, but Start is still showing VDSL 50

I assume it depends on the area, but checking my address, they no longer offer VDSL, just cable.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Lately I've been seeing speeds over 250 Mbit at night, but I only have 150 Mbit. Anybody know if that's an accident, or some undocumented feature?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Golluk posted:

This made me go check the service available, and Teksavvy and Start no longer offer DSL, just cable internet. Currently on Bell DSL, but even they don't show that anymore. Just Fiber to the neighborhood. I'd always assumed that means you still use cable or DSL, just it jumps onto Fiber sooner. Or do they actually run something like cat5 to your home?

The TPIAs got locked out of access to Bell VDSL because bell improperly classed it as a new service and petitioned for a new rate structure. Years later that’s all been sorted out and you can get third party VDSL. This can be sold as Fibre to the neighbourhood, or VDSL, but both are the same product: fibre to some local cabinet on a curb somewhere and pair bonded telephone line into your home. Speeds up to 100mbit are possible.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

The TPIAs got locked out of access to Bell VDSL because bell improperly classed it as a new service and petitioned for a new rate structure. Years later that’s all been sorted out and you can get third party VDSL. This can be sold as Fibre to the neighbourhood, or VDSL, but both are the same product: fibre to some local cabinet on a curb somewhere and pair bonded telephone line into your home. Speeds up to 100mbit are possible.

Thanks, I kinda figured that's what happened. I guess the only other thing to check is if I get screwed updating to a new plan from a grandfathered one. Then again it's Bell, so I guess it's more a question of how much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Best Buy, Staples accused of 'urging' customers to pirate TV shows with devices sold in stores

Yay, this poo poo again!

What are these devices anyway I actually have no idea. Some kind of android box that auto torrents?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

priznat posted:

Best Buy, Staples accused of 'urging' customers to pirate TV shows with devices sold in stores

Yay, this poo poo again!

What are these devices anyway I actually have no idea. Some kind of android box that auto torrents?

They sound like heroes that actually understand what the customers want to me. :canada:

Rogers delenda est

Auto playing popular torrents from a playlist is one way, they could be linking to a playlist of pirated content on foreign streaming services and filled with ads and selling your data. Hell, didn't Hulu start as a site devoted to streaming pirate content before they went legit?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 15, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It almost certainly just uses pirate streams of broadcast TV channels

Mister Facetious posted:

Hell, didn't Hulu start as a site devoted to streaming pirate content before they went legit?

Hulu was NBC from day 1

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 16, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It's just the cheapo Android boxes everyone was selling a year ago, except they are twice the price as people were selling on Craigslist. Same guts but different name.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
And of course that Bell 75 dollar 50/10 plan was for new customers only. Loyal current customers are rewarded with paying 99. Going to see what retention's can offer compared to Teksavvy 60/10 on cable for 55 (60 from Start). Current plan is 25/10 and 375GB for 77, and that's with a constant 20 dollar discount from the last time I said I was switching.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Golluk posted:

And of course that Bell 75 dollar 50/10 plan was for new customers only. Loyal current customers are rewarded with paying 99.

This is especially funny when you discover they're doing Fibe 940/940 for $55

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I called up Telus' loyalty department the other day and managed to get a $250 bill credit, free $120 wifi mesh pack, and a six month extension to my $75 internet discount (internet 300 for $30ish) for a total return of $820 (+tax on 66% of total) on a 10 minute call.

Not bad considering I only have the internet and no tv/phone/etc.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seriously call. I recently had my TELUS TV and Internet reduced by half ($100/mo) for a year by threatening Novus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My Shaw contract is up in June and I will have to see if there are any more tasty options for the 600Mbit or equivalent, love having that speed now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My current plan is to ride out the shaw 2 yr contract then do 90 days on teksavvy and re-sign with shaw on a 2yr promo, and then repeat forever

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

So I received an email today...

Emphasis mine. I hope we see more action from the gov finally getting off its rear end.

:rip:

CBC.ca: Big telecom companies win court battle in ongoing war with CRTC over wholesale internet rates.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/telecom-crtc-wholesale-internet-1.5302941

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Really hope to see the rates stand up in court. Big isp gotta be smacked down.

Notice how Telus is so quiet in all of this. They’re just trying to sneak under the radar and keep fiber out of this. I hope it’s coming next.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its important to remember that money is the only law, the only justice, the only power. Thus, Canada is doomed to remain under the iron fist of Bell while the sad puppetry in ottawa continues to provide income to those who act there and do jack squat to advance any causes for the 98%

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

Its important to remember that money is the only law, the only justice, the only power. Thus, Canada is doomed to remain under the iron fist of Bell while the sad puppetry in ottawa continues to provide income to those who act there and do jack squat to advance any causes for the 98%

Remember everybody, we vote this month! :pseudo:

:negative:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

James Baud posted:

I called up Telus' loyalty department the other day and managed to get a $250 bill credit, free $120 wifi mesh pack, and a six month extension to my $75 internet discount (internet 300 for $30ish) for a total return of $820 (+tax on 66% of total) on a 10 minute call.

Not bad considering I only have the internet and no tv/phone/etc.

What's a Wifi mesh pack?

Thanks for the reminder. My promo rate comes up next month and will need to see what I can do. Shaw has been very aggressive in my area lately so I have that card to play, truth be told I'd really rather not leave Telus fibre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

What's a Wifi mesh pack?

Thanks for the reminder. My promo rate comes up next month and will need to see what I can do. Shaw has been very aggressive in my area lately so I have that card to play, truth be told I'd really rather not leave Telus fibre.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/accessories/product/telus-boost-wi-fi-starter-pack

Basically, a range extender because my router is near one corner of my house and I wanted a stronger signal at the far end. Does some coordination for mobile device handoffs to stronger AP rather than the usual "desperately cling to the first AP a device associates with until it's out of range".

I've heard the Telus system is a bit second rate vs some other stuff out there but it's better than the cheap one I bought a few years back and you can't beat free.