Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doesn’t the screen kick on anyways when you get a notification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Doesn’t the screen kick on anyways when you get a notification?

No.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don’t know why I never noticed but it just hit me this morning than the SS models (and higher end) all have GPS+Cellular and it’s not an additional $100 for it which makes me waaaaaay more attractive to me. I might end up doing SS + Milanese Loop and give the S4 to my dad or brother.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Purchased.

I got the 44mm, Space Gray Aluminum with the Midnight Blue Sports Loop.

I just couldn’t justify the SS, Ti or (lol) Ceramic cases with all the emergency medical expenses I’ve recently had.

Also, I opted to not get the LTE option since I almost never used it with my S3.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is a basic sport band is best option if I plan to exercise a lot with the watch? Milanese loop looks dope but I'm assuming it's not ideal for running and all that

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Minidust posted:

Is a basic sport band is best option if I plan to exercise a lot with the watch? Milanese loop looks dope but I'm assuming it's not ideal for running and all that

For working out, I'd recommend the Nike sport bands. The ones with the holes in them.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Nope, that’ll get loose is my bet - and it’ll chafe probably. The textile sports bands are the best for running/exercise.

e: the Nike bands are cool too, plus they have some neat color combinations this generation

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

Sport loop supremacy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sport loop supremacy.

Yeah I ordered a bunch of knockoff bands from Aliexpress and I have ended up wearing sport loops almost all the time. So much comfier than the others.

The nike one with holes that came with my watch lives in a drawer. I hate that you cant adjust it exactly, like you can with the leather loop, sports loop and milanese loop.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
sport loop looks like it would smell like sweat after awhile??
c/d

my initial impression is that the sport band is a nice compromise between being good for exercise and still looking like a "regular" watch band. but these recommendations are much appreciated!

also hadn't thought about aliexpress et al, i guess these bands aren't exactly a commitment huh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You have to wash the textile ones periodically, yeah. I use a Nike sport band.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Minidust posted:

also hadn't thought about aliexpress et al, i guess these bands aren't exactly a commitment huh

Yeah you can get knockoffs for a fraction of the cost, sport loops for like a couple of bucks and they do convincing copies of the other Apple styles. I've had good luck with this store - https://urvoisz.aliexpress.com/store/1799101

As a long time Apple user I love their hardware but I have learned to never ever pay Apple prices for accessories.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Minidust posted:

c/d

D

Shower with it occasionally. Maybe give it a hand wash cycle with your sports gear (put the band in a bra bag though)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yeah you can get knockoffs for a fraction of the cost, sport loops for like a couple of bucks and they do convincing copies of the other Apple styles. I've had good luck with this store - https://urvoisz.aliexpress.com/store/1799101

As a long time Apple user I love their hardware but I have learned to never ever pay Apple prices for accessories.

I've bought a few generics and they don't feel as good as the legit ones.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

When I work out, I just wear it in the shower afterwards. I'll soap it up once a week or so as well. Seems to work just fine.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've bought a few generics and they don't feel as good as the legit ones.

Sure they feel a little cheaper but they do the job, look the same, and are literally 1/10th the price or less. I could not justify spending £99 on a legit milanese loop so I spent £20 on a couple fake ones in different colours and I'm very happy about it. The paint on the inside of the loop is worn from rubbing against itself, but you can't see that on the outside.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My only concern about knock-offs are the ones that don’t stay on. Usually sport band alikes that become undone pretty easily.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Any fabric band is going to smell like death after a while; many people can’t smell it but the person next to you probably can. Get metal or sport loop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sport for life.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sport Loops are fine for work and everyday life, but I always change to my nike band for workouts or anything involving water. They absorb water like a sponge and feel gross til they dry.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I find I rarely have difficulty making this decision. It’s one of the many benefits of just not exercising at all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

As I cram another fistful of bacon-cheese fries into my mouth, my Apple Watch pleads for me to get up and achieve my daily move goal of 50.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sport loop supremacy.

Sport loop is best, but sport band for if you’re going to be near or in water.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cheap aftermarket bands were a game changer for me. Five Velcro bands in cool colors for ten bux? Sure, all the colors and replace them if they get dirty. Nice enough leather for eight shipped? Don’t mind if I do.

And yes, I also have five apple bands, including a nice Milanese job, but the cheap and cheerful are my everyday casual wear.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I get worried about my watch in the shower cause of the water pressure (probably just paranoid) so I just take the watch off and wear the sport loop like a bracelet into the shower to clean it. Just lather it up with soap and then I air dry it on a fan pointing upwards.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get worried about my watch in the shower cause of the water pressure (probably just paranoid) so I just take the watch off and wear the sport loop like a bracelet into the shower to clean it. Just lather it up with soap and then I air dry it on a fan pointing upwards.

Wow. I wear my watch every day in shower. Sport loop, sport band. Whatever.

Haven’t had a single issue other than speaker getting muffled but watch stays on silent mode so no prob.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Put in in water mode (swipe up and hit the droplet): this has the benefit of preventing the water from accidentally mimicking screen presses, AND when you leave water mode you rotate the crown to make the speaker vibrate and spit out any water in there.

However, watch showering is weird, and I am judging you :colbert:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I dunno, I’m paranoid even if it has that water feature. So I just take it off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Put in in water mode (swipe up and hit the droplet): this has the benefit of preventing the water from accidentally mimicking screen presses, AND when you leave water mode you rotate the crown to make the speaker vibrate and spit out any water in there.

Oh wow. I didn’t know that was a water mode. I always thought the droplet thing was just to kick out the excess water.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh wow. I didn’t know that was a water mode. I always thought the droplet thing was just to kick out the excess water.

One of my favourites was when I went for a swim in the sea, so put the watch in water mode, but forgot to activate a workout.

The watch popped up it’s “do you want to start a swim workout” alert, but I couldn’t accept because the touchscreen was disabled. Like, come on, put two and two together!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pants Donkey posted:

Sweaty after the gym why would I bother washing my watch and sport band separately if I can just hop in with it on?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jink posted:

Haven’t had a single issue other than speaker getting muffled but watch stays on silent mode so no prob.
Had that happen on my original (...which didn’t have the water ejection and technically only had some water resistance) and been paranoid since. I’m on silent all the time too but use it for phone calls occasionally.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Upgrading from a Series 1 to a S5 aluminum. Excited to see what an actually responsive Watch is like. Have been waiting for an always on display. 44mm in Alaskan blue. The bands are still egregiously overpriced but glad to see Apple getting a little more consumer friendly with band choice and cost when speccing our a watch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cozmosis posted:

Upgrading from a Series 1 to a S5 aluminum. Excited to see what an actually responsive Watch is like. Have been waiting for an always on display. 44mm in Alaskan blue. The bands are still egregiously overpriced but glad to see Apple getting a little more consumer friendly with band choice and cost when speccing our a watch.
Yeah that takes a little sting out of the price. Normally I’d wait for another retailer (for no tax) or some sales, but getting a band I want helped justify an impulse buy. And Apple Card 3% back and maybe Ratuken (formerly Ebates) 2% if that goes through and wasn’t just referring to Apple Pay cash back.

I’m sure I’ll be annoyed when S6 is a bigger upgrade but eh, going from S3 to S5 is still solid I figure. Wanted the S4 to begin with, and an always on screen forever. And can replace my slow rear end S2 beater watch with the S3.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Getting my first Apple Watch. What’s a good overview of what the thing is capable of?

And what charging cable will work with a new one? Should I wait a bit? Not interested in a dock because I want to use it for sleep tracking.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

hadji murad posted:

Getting my first Apple Watch. What’s a good overview of what the thing is capable of?

And what charging cable will work with a new one? Should I wait a bit? Not interested in a dock because I want to use it for sleep tracking.

Can’t really answer the first one cause most of the review sites probably assume you had a previous Apple Watch and review it with that in mind. So, probably better off just searching for “Apple Watch Series 4 review” and take your pick on which website you want to read, or which video you want to watch.

If you’re more into the sports part of things then I always like this guy’s reviews for just how in depth he gets.

And for the cable, just the included one is fine. Apple Watch “docks” are more like “fancy piece of plastic/metal that I can slot the official Apple Watch cable into.” You’re not going to be able to charge it while wearing it unless you have super tiny wrists, and even then you wouldn’t be able to track things like heart rate because the charger will block the sensors. It’s super easy to wear the AW4 to sleep without needing to janitor your watch’s battery, and I guess the AW5 will be even easier. You can just throw it on the charger when you wake up and are getting ready/showering/etc and it’ll get topped off enough to last the day again.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

hadji murad posted:

- notifications on your wrist
- Timers
- quick replies to messages
- fitness tracking
- bothering you to stand up
- interesting watch faces but you’ll revert to modular anyway

That’s about it but it’s really what you make of it. Third party apps seem to be a bit of a crapshoot.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

- disabling breathe

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Dave posted:

- disabling breathe

Can’t disable something that doesn’t even work to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Apple Pay.

If you’re running Nav on your phone it’ll mirror the next step on your watch and buzz you when you should turn.