Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Page 54.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/1172663688207245312

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

12/17 were dismissed during the hearing, the judge has until October 7th to decide whether or not to dismiss the other five.
Gotchu, thanks. Yeah, I think someone shared a tweet with a "Case Chart" of sorts where they showed crossed-out cases that were dismissed, but was unsure of the final number and how many were remaining.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Some of those were wrong too because the judge hasn't ruled on conspiracy for 2 of the defendants.

I really hope it doesn't make it to discovery, because it's pretty loving clear that Ty & team intend to use discovery to rake a bunch more people over the coals.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Adnor posted:

Page 54.

I'm gonna say that getting in front of a judge and thinking on your feet is really loving hard and I've been tripped up before with a judge asking a hard question. If you found my transcription I'd sound pretty dumb! but jesus christ this is bad.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1172696844046086144

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I think it's been posted before but this bit from the judge cracks me up.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Oh my god, Marchi's got thrown out because Ty literally didn't have evidence that the tweets were actually about Vic.

How are they so bad at this?

E: lmao

quote:

THE COURT: Then I can let you lie, is
that how that works?
MR. BEARD: No.
THE COURT: Well, I mean, I want the
correct answer.
MR. BEARD: Your Honor, I actually
don't know

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 14, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Oh god I didn't know this thread existed. Just chiming in to say that pages 74-75 are one special kind of dumb

e: :laffo:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 14, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wark Say posted:

Like please tell me that all the cases these dumb shits filed (I think there were like 19?) have been dismissed by now, because for the life of me I refuse to believe someone is that loving bad at lawyering, even if they don't specialize in this one type of legal field. The signature forgery I can sorta believe, but this here seems like a dumb comedy show skit that got rejected on account of being too loving stupid to be believable.

Becoming a lawyer just requires passing a written exam. It doesn't require you to have any courtroom skills or even social skills at all. I think it's pretty clear from the transcript that the guy has no experience talking before a judge.

Also I have worked as an intern for a lawyer who did the signature forgery thing ("we don't need to bother the client with this"). If you don't get caught, no one really cares. Note: I am not condoning this, I've just seen that sort of apathy in practice.

Okay that's just idiotic though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 14, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

can i just notarise this over the phone?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
https://twitter.com/Erimgard/status/1172702964399648768

The chuds having decided that the judge is awful, and will be entirely overturned on appeal and Ty will be vindicated are all hugging one another in their cult-like safe space.

Which means another round of schadenfreude when none of that happens.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Monaghan posted:

I'm gonna say that getting in front of a judge and thinking on your feet is really loving hard and I've been tripped up before with a judge asking a hard question. If you found my transcription I'd sound pretty dumb! but jesus christ this is bad.

Yeah. No lawyer is going to sound like Perry Mason in front of the judge (or Phoenix Wright to use somebody Kick Vic has heard of), but stumbling over words is one thing and the issue is Beard really didn't have any answers in the first place.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
someone in the twitter comments joked that clearly the stenographer is on it and I almost fell out of my chair

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1172698054773919746

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd really like to see more proper articles done about this because there's some obvious legal subtleties that go over my head and even with so many eye poring over this, I'm sure there are extra gems that need to be highlighted either from previous hearings or that'll come up in future ones.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It you played a drinking game for every time Ty got mercilessly owned by the judge your liver would explode.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ty Beard is actually sympathetic to the victims. He’s into legal humiliation and figured he’d impose his kink on Vic nonconsentually to give him a taste of his own medicine

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
So, lawyers - is this Hsu guy another foolish person like Beard, or did he come across as a normally-competent lawyer who's been handed an absolute shitshow to do his best to recover from?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Alan Smithee posted:

Ty Beard is actually sympathetic to the victims. He’s into legal humiliation and figured he’d impose his kink on Vic nonconsentually to give him a taste of his own medicine

Nah, Vic accidentally killed Ty's dog like 10 years ago, and this whole charade is just a huge dish of revenge served ice cold.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

divabot posted:

So, lawyers - is this Hsu guy another foolish person like Beard, or did he come across as a normally-competent lawyer who's been handed an absolute shitshow to do his best to recover from?

After Bead falsely notarized the affidavits in his response to the TCPAs, he got other lawyers in his firm to sign off on it, which would open up the possibility for them to get sanctioned too. What likely happened is that the firm saw the writing on the wall and hired Hsu to course correct this flaming, sinking ship the best that they could manage, while possibly offering a way to defend the firm from sanctions as a result of Ty's improper conduct.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
this judge owns

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

can i just notarise this over the phone?

The defense mentioned that you can actually do that but you need a video connection and to actually watch them sign, which I thought was interesting. (Obviously Beard did not do this.)

Also liked the bit where Beard says they were always going to file an amended whatever and is then unable to explain what he means because supposedly it was amended as a response

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Julias posted:

After Bead falsely notarized the affidavits in his response to the TCPAs, he got other lawyers in his firm to sign off on it, which would open up the possibility for them to get sanctioned too. What likely happened is that the firm saw the writing on the wall and hired Hsu to course correct this flaming, sinking ship the best that they could manage, while possibly offering a way to defend the firm from sanctions as a result of Ty's improper conduct.
not a lawyer, but that was everyone's theory when the new lawyer appeared before they saw Hsu's backgrond - the firm brought in outside counsel pre-sanctions to minimise damages. it just didn't add up to the type of lawyer you'd look for to protect the firm, so the more recent theory is this is all they were able to get who'd be willing to attend the dumpster hearing of a case

in either way he was brought in far too late to help the hearing by participating outside of statements on law rather than fact, but any attempt to help their legal strategy is worth it at this point

Syritta posted:

The defense mentioned that you can actually do that but you need a video connection and to actually watch them sign, which I thought was interesting. (Obviously Beard did not do this.)

Also liked the bit where Beard says they were always going to file an amended whatever and is then unable to explain what he means because supposedly it was amended as a response
ya i saw the skype-specific statement and there was talk of remote notary being in a thing in texas you need an explicit license for (that ty obviously doesn't have)

them doubling down on "we always intended to amend the filing" is not going to bite them come sanctions time

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
There really is no bottom of the barrel for these guys, is there?

https://twitter.com/TheChrissel/status/1172901800694943744?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just, I just can't.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd really like to see more proper articles done about this because there's some obvious legal subtleties that go over my head and even with so many eye poring over this, I'm sure there are extra gems that need to be highlighted either from previous hearings or that'll come up in future ones.

@questauthority on Twitter is going through the transcript right now and he's very good at explaining said legal subtleties.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ignis posted:

@questauthority on Twitter is going through the transcript right now and he's very good at explaining said legal subtleties.
yeah it was a good read
part 1:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1172642897566609409
part 2 (ongoing):
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1172947630751662080

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Looking ahead... if this survived the MtD and everything.... I have no idea how the gently caress this survives a jury trial.

All you have to do is put Robin Blankenship-McConnell on the stand and repeat what happened to her when she was 16 (for reference she should be about 45 now) as stated (WARNING: as with most of this stuff about Vic there are details about unwanted advances contained within)here. I'm not sure how any of the rest of this survives a jury.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
pretty much the only way it would make it is if they stuff the jury full of Fullmetal Alchemist and Broly fans

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

pretty much the only way it would make it is if they stuff the jury full of Fullmetal Alchemist and Broly fans

Statistically you'd probably have at least a couple who think dubbing anime is a sin and Vic is the world's greatest criminal.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Can't the judge dismiss the case "with prejudice" and basically kill any attempt to appeal? Not sure how that works.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Anora posted:

Can't the judge dismiss the case "with prejudice" and basically kill any attempt to appeal? Not sure how that works.

If he thinks there isn't any reasonable basis to proceed, yes. It's what he's done for most of the suit already.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Anora posted:

So you can appeal any ruling. Appeals, however, must reference errors in law (not errors in fact). Basically you have to prove that the judge misapplied a law or precedent inside of the case. You can't bring new evidence, or change evidence, or simply argue that you don't agree with a finding of fact (i.e. you can't just disagree with if they believe a witness or not).

"With prejudice" just means that the dismissal is on the merits of the case. A Judge can dismiss due to some procedural thing or another "without prejudice" which means the plaintiff is welcome to present the case to the court again with procedural errors repaired.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's a futile hope but I still hope Vic deeply regrets hiring these men at the very least.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

It's a futile hope but I still hope Vic deeply regrets hiring these men at the very least.

He'll feel it when he's paying out of pocket for the Defendants lawyers.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

mallratcal posted:

He'll feel it when he's paying out of pocket for the Defendants lawyers.

So what's the split on attorney fees like? All Vic, some Vic some Ty? How does this work in Texas?

I'm thinking of one Florida case where the judge emphasised that the defendant was a massive liar and was gonna pay the other side's fees personally, but his attorneys had been nothing but professional. (Bitcoin nonsense with Craig Wright, who is not Satoshi Nakamoto. My blog post on the ruling. The ruling itself is a great read.)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

divabot posted:

So what's the split on attorney fees like? All Vic, some Vic some Ty? How does this work in Texas?

I'm thinking of one Florida case where the judge emphasised that the defendant was a massive liar and was gonna pay the other side's fees personally, but his attorneys had been nothing but professional. (Bitcoin nonsense with Craig Wright, who is not Satoshi Nakamoto. My blog post on the ruling. The ruling itself is a great read.)
it's all on the defendant based on what i remember from lawtwitter, who don't think vic was fully advised on that front.

probably expects the gfm warchest to cover it after all it's $240k~ a lawsuit can't cost that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

divabot posted:

Ty is just a lawyer, I can't imagine he'll be required to pay anything, but I have nothing to base that on.

It depends on how it gets ruled in regards to SLAPP. Vic might end up paying for all the attorney fees for the defense and sanctions on top that (that are designed for the purpose of dissuading him from filing more frivolous suits), iirc.