Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GUI posted:

I have both a 2013 day one Xboner controller and an XbonerX one and the bumpers feel pretty similar. The criticism is overstated.

Now this is just a house of lies.

The original controller was hinged on the edge closest to the center so if you held the controller such that your fingers were close to the inside of the controller, you couldn't easily push those buttons because all the motion had to go under your knuckles along the outside of the controller. The new bumpers will push in uniformly across the whole button. The only use for the original controller is to put on top of your Xbone so it doesn't blow away on a windy day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Both major consoles need to stop getting cute with their goddamn trigger buttons.

I just got a switch and while playing MUA3 I could not figure out what the gently caress the ZR button was.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Watch Dogs 2 is pretty long

It's really good though. I haven't gotten to any parts that drag, and its side missions are almost always pretty quick one and done things. And I do love the drones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Now this is just a house of lies.

The original controller was hinged on the edge closest to the center so if you held the controller such that your fingers were close to the inside of the controller, you couldn't easily push those buttons because all the motion had to go under your knuckles along the outside of the controller. The new bumpers will push in uniformly across the whole button. The only use for the original controller is to put on top of your Xbone so it doesn't blow away on a windy day.

They are better but its still weird to have the inner edge and outer edge meet in a weird point thats off center making a short side and a long side that imo still feel slightly different but its nbd like it used to be for a sensitive sammy like me

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Both major consoles need to stop getting cute with their goddamn trigger buttons.

Not really sure what this means since the DS4 is the first iteration of the dualshock to have triggers worth a drat.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

And yet they're still slippery trash

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bushisms.txt posted:

Does that need\come with a separate adapter? I was reading somehow you can plug directly into a controller like the ds4?

That's a wireless headset (you just plug the transceiver into a USB port on the bone). I love it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

And yet they're still slippery trash

Yeah at minimum they need to have the controller not rest on them

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
bumpers on xbone controllers are poo poo. they always wear out first, even 2 first generation xbox elite controllers same problem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In my years of owning 360 and xbone controllers, only one has had the bumper malfunction and that was because I got mad and threw it across the room.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

bumpers on xbone controllers are poo poo. they always wear out first, even 2 first generation xbox elite controllers same problem.

The first generation elites were actually pretty poo poo. Same plastic internals as the normal controllers so they wear out in various ways including developing stick drift, which is just great on a $150US controller with a 90-day warranty. They're based off the 2nd-generation controllers too, so no Bluetooth. The new elite controller MIGHT address these finally, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will never understand why the elite controllers are a thing. The first gen ones were $150 and the new ones are like $250? I’m really struggling to find a good reason why someone should pay like 8x the cost of a regular controller for one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will never understand why the elite controllers are a thing. The first gen ones were $150 and the new ones are like $250? I’m really struggling to find a good reason why someone should pay like 8x the cost of a regular controller for one.

So when you drop it it explodes in a shower of magnetic parts

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's the audiophile equipment equivalent for console gamers who like to pretend they're hot poo poo. Then they get clowned on in a tournament, first by someone using a PS1 controller that has exposed wiring and is duct-taped together, and then by a disabled person who plays by mashing their face into an Xbox 360 controller.

The margins on those controllers must be absurd given nothing about them is that much more sophisticated than the existing $60 controllers.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

They feel much more sturdy but I'm not paying twice as much for a controller.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Just buy a ball of controllers and swap 'em when you don't like how they feel anymore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That picture is 4 years old show us the current hoard ball

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It’s way more than twice as much now, even if you pay the full $60 retail for a regular controller

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Imagine spending two grand to ensure you had the highest quality experience(TM) with Pro Evolution Soccer and #IDARB.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

univbee posted:

Just buy a ball of controllers and swap 'em when you don't like how they feel anymore.

Total internal batter life: 6 hours.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The DS4 has the worst battery life of any controller I've ever used. It's totally poo poo

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The elite controller for Xbox is good though? Yeah the prices is high and it has had some pretty serious resiliency issues. The stick drift and rubber parts fall apart after a year on the older models. But I tell you, having those paddles for extra buttons, and the adjustable triggers and sticks (not only height but contour and then response curve as well) is phenomenal. I’ve always felt one of the biggest set backs to using controller for FPS is the problem of jumping while still being able to look around. There are some bumper jumper set ups that get around this but they’re cumbersome. Having a paddle on the bottom of the controller that a different finger engages to jump, means you never have to take your thumb off the right stick to press a button to jump. You to keep panning with right stick and doing whatever. It’s insanely good.

Another example is games like Elite Dangerous, or other heavy on the sim simulation games. There can be a lot of key binds. You can wrap up a bunch of those into the paddles. It makes those types of games more accessible for sure.

I think there is a lot of work that goes in to making a basic controller for a console. But to make one that’s fully adjustable with all these other bells and whistles is fitting a massive amount of tech into a very small frame. I don’t think it’s at all surprising that it costs much more. That said, I didn’t know they raised the price. $150 was fine before.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dont need battery to not play the next walk and talk sony game

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I have a pro that I bought around the time of RDR 2s release. It's honestly my favorite gaming accessory. I thought the larger sticks were a joke playing RDR, but it can massively improve how you are able to interact with precision games.

Beyond that, the premium finish is great. Really, its just coming to match what PC accessories have had for a while. Even though I don't buy Logitech since their quality has gone down, it reminds me of the "Grippeness" of the G500 series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I bought a 3rd party xbone controller for my pc and outside of feeling a bit cheap, ive not had an issue with it. I beat dark souls 3 with it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I use the elite controller daily and it's amazing how much nicer it feels to use. All other controllers feel like toys now, whereas the elite feels like a tool.

A tool to play bidoe games.

Anyway this argument is retarded since anyone dumb enough to use these forums is also dumb enough to care about a nice keyboard and mouse, which no one has a problem spending money on.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i like using the elite controller’s headphone jack to watch twitch streams, using the twitch iphone app to chat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I mostly play racing and FPS games and having the paddle buttons on the back is fantastic as down/upshift in racing games or jump/melee in FPS.

using all four of them is cumbersome but having just 2 is enough.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

I love Dead Cells and have played a ton of it on Steam. With it on game pass I was taking it as an opportunity to play it again.
On the console version when I play it lets me access the free DLC. On the PC though when I go to enter the Rise of the Giant hole it says DLC required.

It took me forever to even find the proper version in the windows store (Kept finding the console version and it was trying to remote download to it) and in the Xbox Console Companion it is listed as MotionTwin.DeadCellsWin10
I can't find an option do download the DLC. Anyone have any experience with this on game pass?
I know with game pass not all DLC is available but it's free and the console version came with it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How do you patch a microsoft store game? Gears 5 says my version is out of date then kicks me but it doesn't have a manual update option anywhere.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m really looking for something to play over the next two weeks. Doesn’t matter the genre or price. Of these, which would you all recommend. Resident evil 2, remnant from the ashes, or plague tales. I’m just looking for a good fun immersive tight experience that doesn’t get boring and can hold a players attention long enough to finish.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m really looking for something to play over the next two weeks. Doesn’t matter the genre or price. Of these, which would you all recommend. Resident evil 2, remnant from the ashes, or plague tales. I’m just looking for a good fun immersive tight experience that doesn’t get boring and can hold a players attention long enough to finish.

Re2 is GOAT
Remnant is way better with a crew. I fell off playing solo.
Plague tail is like the last of us medieval edition.

If you want guided experiemce get plague
If you want more freeform play with reply go RE
If you want to shoot the poo poo with buds go remnant

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

univbee posted:

The first generation elites were actually pretty poo poo. Same plastic internals as the normal controllers so they wear out in various ways including developing stick drift, which is just great on a $150US controller with a 90-day warranty. They're based off the 2nd-generation controllers too, so no Bluetooth. The new elite controller MIGHT address these finally, though.

Get it at Best Buy, pay the $30 for the 2 year warranty, get a new one in 18 months when the old one breaks. The one time I will pay for their stupid warranties are for xbox controllers.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Blind Rasputin posted:

RE2. It’s amazing. Characters handle better. Super detailed, runs great on X.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Re2 Seems like a no brainer imo.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How do you patch a microsoft store game? Gears 5 says my version is out of date then kicks me but it doesn't have a manual update option anywhere.

I had this problem. I tried to update in the beta app, didn't work. Tried to update in the windows store, didn't work. I paused and restarted the install, restarted my computer and it worked somehow?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Re2 Seems like a no brainer imo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RBX posted:

I had this problem. I tried to update in the beta app, didn't work. Tried to update in the windows store, didn't work. I paused and restarted the install, restarted my computer and it worked somehow?

Thy ended up solving it for me too, just rebooting seemed to be the kick the update needed to finish.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there a limit to how many folders you can create on the Xbone dashboard. I've currently got Xbox One/Xbox 360/Xbox/Apps four, tried to create a Now Playing folder, added some games, and it doesn't show up. I'm tempted to just delete the Apps folder since I never even look at it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1174308698186907649?s=21

Looking forward to trying Bad North and Bloodstained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve been able to get Metro Exodus working, thankfully. I didn’t want to have to buy it. I fully expect to get the ‘bad ending’ for the third game in a row, however.