Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

At this point it's possible they're just holding any updates until Blizzcon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

myron cope posted:

At this point it's possible they're just holding any new dev hiring until Blizzcon

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Khorne posted:

WC3 is a very complex beast when compared to SCBW or even D2. It has loads of bnet features that seem fragile and like the guys who coded them are long gone, and I imagine porting those over and making sense of what the hell is going on there is a year of full-time work for a senior dev or two. Their strategy going in was "disable or break them and fix it later", and at some point later has to come.

It was way ahead of its time and showed Blizzard had a strong vision for the future of RTS games and gaming in general. Then WoW dropped and Blizzard sunk all their resources into that, lost out on the MOBA train even though they could have literally owned dota/league of legends, totally forgot about all the great out of game and community stuff they worked on even when they made sc2, and the rest is history.

activision buyed goons cried

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

RIP blizz 1991-2008

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah I have a hard time believing this is coming out this year at this point.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah. For how much they put into announcing it, theres been a huge shortage of any kind of attempt at building hype for the eventual release. I think they released some concept art after the blizzcon announcement and that's it?

Doesn't bode well for it coming out soon.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Was this suppose to be TFT as well or just the original War3. I wonder if they'd try and just do the original release to give them more time

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Was this suppose to be TFT as well or just the original War3. I wonder if they'd try and just do the original release to give them more time

The speculation seems to be that the architecture underlying the game is more difficult, not, for example, finishing art assets

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Releasing WC3 without Frozen Throne would be as pointless as SC without Brood War. I don’t know if that means Blizzard wouldn’t do it, but it’d be dumb!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Releasing WC3 without Frozen Throne would be as pointless as SC without Brood War. I don’t know if that means Blizzard wouldn’t do it, but it’d be dumb!

It’s warcraft 3 classic!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Time to mass casters :getin:

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
The War3 Reforged Website still says it comes with Frozen Throne, so I don't think it's going to ship without it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I know it's wishful thinking but I want to see if Blizzard can springboard this into War4 because the RTS genre could use a shot in the arm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know it's wishful thinking but I want to see if Blizzard can springboard this into War4 because the RTS genre could use a shot in the arm.

IDK, I have very little faith in Blizzard right now to produce something amazing.

Warcraft 4 if they did it right now would either turn into a boring eSport focused affair like SC2, or a mobile game like Diablo.

Also probably chock full of microtransactions.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Paying a couple bucks to give my orcs crazy hats sounds dope

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SC2 had an extremely fun single player campaign, even if the story was incredibly stupid.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Comrayn posted:

Paying a couple bucks to give my orcs crazy hats sounds dope

Paying a couple of bucks for a 5% chance of crazy hats for your orcs, or you might get a 1% Death Knight skin, or 60% just some new unit quotes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

Paying a couple of bucks for a 5% chance of crazy hats for your orcs, or you might get a 1% Death Knight skin, or 60% just some new unit quotes.

Oh god this is exactly what would happen, statement retracted!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
:barf:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They'll get primo talent for the bonus quotes.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Not reforged but something to tide me over in the meantime. The coolest & most impressive playlist I've ever seen for Warcraft III Singleplayer. This guy Aesis Gaming managed to destroy every single enemy base in Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne on Hard, including all of the ones meant to be absolutely positively impossible to destroy. In addition to a bunch of other challenges. He uses a ton of exploits and clever stuff, a lot of it the community came up with. It's amazing to see all of that stuff and know it was all possible way back in 2003. The *only* one he seemingly couldn't is destroy Garithos's base in 'The Crossing'. Others have already done destroying the Undead base and killing Archimonde on 'Twilight of the Gods'.

Insane masochism, perhaps, but I've been having a blast copying his tricks to destroy the enemy bases in Hard singleplayer. Some I had done once or twice before, like destroying the Undead in 'The Culling' and the Murloc bases in 'Countdown to Extinction' (remember to download the voice acting restored version). Others, like 'March of the Scourge' were brand new and it felt pretty badass to finally wipe the map. I combined all the base destruction ones into one playthrough, adds some complexity but it's gone smoothly so far. Obviously not recommended for the faint of heart. Only things that need to be planned in advance are hero items and abilities. Have to be damned careful about strategy, the challenge missions are usually like 2-3X more complex than normal, can be easy to miss details at times.

edit: he's not the first to do all those, March of the Scourge was done years ago, but his videos are generally more efficient and elegant than older ones. Wish they were done in widescreen though.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 20, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keep hitting this thread to see if literally any news is being cross-posted :smith:

Pretty un-psyched that it's taking this long. OG Warcraft 3 is a good game now.

Eregos posted:

Not reforged but something to tide me over in the meantime. The coolest & most impressive playlist I've ever seen for Warcraft III Singleplayer. This guy Aesis Gaming managed to destroy every single enemy base in Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne on Hard, including all of the ones meant to be absolutely positively impossible to destroy. In addition to a bunch of other challenges. He uses a ton of exploits and clever stuff, a lot of it the community came up with. It's amazing to see all of that stuff and know it was all possible way back in 2003. The *only* one he seemingly couldn't is destroy Garithos's base in 'The Crossing'. Others have already done destroying the Undead base and killing Archimonde on 'Twilight of the Gods'.

Insane masochism, perhaps, but I've been having a blast copying his tricks to destroy the enemy bases in Hard singleplayer. Some I had done once or twice before, like destroying the Undead in 'The Culling' and the Murloc bases in 'Countdown to Extinction' (remember to download the voice acting restored version). Others, like 'March of the Scourge' were brand new and it felt pretty badass to finally wipe the map. I combined all the base destruction ones into one playthrough, adds some complexity but it's gone smoothly so far. Obviously not recommended for the faint of heart. Only things that need to be planned in advance are hero items and abilities. Have to be damned careful about strategy, the challenge missions are usually like 2-3X more complex than normal, can be easy to miss details at times.

edit: he's not the first to do all those, March of the Scourge was done years ago, but his videos are generally more efficient and elegant than older ones. Wish they were done in widescreen though.

Thanks for getting me re-psyched

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I played like fifteen minutes of the beta for A Year of Rain and it’s like warcraft 3 but with less units and features and generally just not as good. Cool to see the progress we’ve made in sixteen years.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Comrayn posted:

I played like fifteen minutes of the beta for A Year of Rain and it’s like warcraft 3 but with less units and features and generally just not as good. Cool to see the progress we’ve made in sixteen years.

I looked that game up and wow, they really aren't even pretending it's not a ripoff of WC3.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
https://twitter.com/Marlamin/status/1182937398168166400

Link has screenshots of the main menu.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Is that a mixed faction option?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Surely it's the random faction option.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

THE BAR posted:

Is that a mixed faction option?

The random button, I guess.

E: beaten.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I never played W3 when it first came out, so this will be my first experience with it. Any tips you guys wanna lay on me so I enjoy it more?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Zipperelli. posted:

I never played W3 when it first came out, so this will be my first experience with it. Any tips you guys wanna lay on me so I enjoy it more?
Go random always.

If Orc, Blademaster (Windwalk, Crit, WW, Crit, WW) into distraction/creeping Grunts, harass and fast tech to Wyverns, kill towers first or farms. Approach from behind the tree line. Shadowhunter second with Hex, Ward, Hex, Ward, Ward.

If Human, Mountain King (Stormbolt, Bash, Bolt, Bash, Bolt) and Riflemen, max upgrades ASAP, focus down individual units, Paladin second (Holy Light, Divine Shield, Holy, Divine, Holy).

If Night Elf, Demonhunter (Manaburn, Dodge, Burn, Dodge, Burn) and Archers (max upgrades), fast tech to Hippogryphs (make sure the enemy sees you with a giant swarm of only Archers well past the point you should've gotten Hippos too), mass your Hippos in a secret location, Priestess second (Trueshot, Searing or Owl, Trueshot, Sear/Owl, Trueshot), try hard not to lose Archers in skirmishes, return to base and mount everyone up and just use them like Wyverns.

If Undead, Dreadlord first (Sleep, Vamp Aura, Sleep, Aura, Sleep), enough Ghouls to creep but get Fiends and upgrade them fast, Death Knight second (Death Coil, Unholy Aura, Coil, Aura, Coil) and crank out some Frost Wyrms tok if you need. Aggressively creep above your weight by Sleeping level 5 units in creep camps (golems are magic immune, watch out) to get higher level Sleep ASAP, can use to aggressively crowd control, bad players are TERRIBLE at dealing with sleep (unit becomes invulnerable when first going to sleep as any damage breaks effect) and get tilted hard.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Go random always.

If Orc, Blademaster (Windwalk, Crit, WW, Crit, WW) into distraction/creeping Grunts, harass and fast tech to Wyverns, kill towers first or farms. Approach from behind the tree line. Shadowhunter second with Hex, Ward, Hex, Ward, Ward.

If Human, Mountain King (Stormbolt, Bash, Bolt, Bash, Bolt) and Riflemen, max upgrades ASAP, focus down individual units, Paladin second (Holy Light, Divine Shield, Holy, Divine, Holy).

If Night Elf, Demonhunter (Manaburn, Dodge, Burn, Dodge, Burn) and Archers (max upgrades), fast tech to Hippogryphs (make sure the enemy sees you with a giant swarm of only Archers well past the point you should've gotten Hippos too), mass your Hippos in a secret location, Priestess second (Trueshot, Searing or Owl, Trueshot, Sear/Owl, Trueshot), try hard not to lose Archers in skirmishes, return to base and mount everyone up and just use them like Wyverns.

If Undead, Dreadlord first (Sleep, Vamp Aura, Sleep, Aura, Sleep), enough Ghouls to creep but get Fiends and upgrade them fast, Death Knight second (Death Coil, Unholy Aura, Coil, Aura, Coil) and crank out some Frost Wyrms tok if you need. Aggressively creep above your weight by Sleeping level 5 units in creep camps (golems are magic immune, watch out) to get higher level Sleep ASAP, can use to aggressively crowd control, bad players are TERRIBLE at dealing with sleep (unit becomes invulnerable when first going to sleep as any damage breaks effect) and get tilted hard.

This isn’t bad or anything but I don’t think a single word in this post makes sense to a guy who has never played before.

My advice to the guy who never played: play the campaign there isn’t really anything too crazy to explain and it has a tutorial. jump into multiplayer after.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Comrayn posted:

play the campaign there isn’t really anything too crazy to explain and it has a tutorial. jump into multiplayer after.

This is the most important part. When I could still run it on my computer, I was bad at the game and have even worse equipment (semi-functional netbook mouse on a laptop), but would still occasionally run into poor saps who never played the campaign and just jumped right into ladder and got crestfallen at their routing.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

It did help me a bunch though, so thanks!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Also unlike Starcraft 2 these older games’ stories are tolerable.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I hope they keep the flappy horse mouths

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My advice would be to try some custom maps online, the hero system and robust editor with direct access to its scripting language let people make some really fun stuff back in the day

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

try solo warden and mass moonwells

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the assets are now all browsable with cascview. happy to report they did not remove towers from the game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Where are you getting the files??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Where are you getting the files??

from blizzard! cascview can pull files right from the bnet CDN without even logging in