Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

HappyCamperGL posted:

DTH is a god among men. That's all you need to know about Canada.

Yea, seriously just do a write up by van der Merwe and totally ignore how Canada hasn't won a single game in a really really really long time, and really ignore how they needed something like three different opportunities to qualify. If you find that writing about DTH doesn't make a long enough post, you can post about our greatest moment when we beat Fiji in the Vancouver Sevens tournament earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I can write about the time Jeff Hassler quit rugby, so that he could become a sailor, and then DM'd me on Facebook, to try and sell me his motorbike.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Wales are going for the Full Scotland by playing many of their 1st XV against Ireland this weekend and playing chicken with fate.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

HappyCamperGL posted:

DTH is a god among men. That's all you need to know about Canada.

Also that photo of a tiny female athletic trainer stretching a prop and the prospective makes her look like a toddler.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Springboks/status/1170028174597664768?s=20
apparently he had a sudden heart attack. real shame, he was winning a lot of plaudits as a coach at the Varsity Cup and provincial levels.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/Springboks/status/1170028174597664768?s=20
apparently he had a sudden heart attack. real shame, he was winning a lot of plaudits as a coach at the Varsity Cup and provincial levels.

I remember Williams in the world cup. A black player playing for the Springboks? Unheard of. He is just a token player, won't be able to play at the level of the rest of the team. What's this? He is scoring tries! Holy poo poo, he just took down Lomu like a lion taking down a gazelle. What the gently caress?! Dude is awesome.
He was a groundbreaking player who opened up a lot of doors and possibilities for a lot of other players, and showed a country can be united.
Really sad to hear this news.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah really sad news and to go so young. RIP.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
That was the most dominant performance by a team losing 37-0 since whenever Scotland last Scotlanded. :confused:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

That was the most dominant performance by a team losing 37-0 since whenever Scotland last Scotlanded. :confused:

And Youngs as MOTM, loving amazing.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I feel like Italy would be better not warming up. Just go to Japan and see what happens. Practice doesn’t seem to be working out for them as a concept.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Turn up, have a few glasses of wine, play a match.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me watching NZ Tonga rn

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
God I hate the Australian commentators. "Referee's spotted something there", like the refs being a pedantic bitch as opposed to the giant aussie knock on everyone saw.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slumfrog posted:

God I hate the Australian commentators. "Referee's spotted something there", like the refs being a pedantic bitch as opposed to the giant aussie knock on everyone saw.

Gordon Bray is a voice of a generation and I stan

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
He's not Phil Kearns, but that's about the most I can give him. Now Chris Handy, there was a man worth you turning the sound on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God this game is delightful, it's just FUN

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Samoa are good lads and deserve so much better than they get.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Both teams are playing in really good spirit. Aus should win, but their scrum is starting to get consistently monstered.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Lol, "his freakish athletic wife..."

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Wait so somehow Ireland are now ranked 1st in the world rankings and Wales have fallen to 5th? These rankings seem like a load of loving bollocks.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Yeah they're a load of ballix, ireland were soundly beaten by england and Wales in the 6n but managed to win a couple of warm ups to take number 1? Load of shite.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Slumfrog posted:

Both teams are playing in really good spirit. Aus should win, but their scrum is starting to get consistently monstered.

That first Samoan try off the scrum was fantastic. Australian tend to step up in world cups and these games are just warm ups but they should be worried about their scrum.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Yeah they're a load of ballix, ireland were soundly beaten by england and Wales in the 6n but managed to win a couple of warm ups to take number 1? Load of shite.

IMO, rankings should be suspended 2 or 3 months out from the tournament.

To be honest though, I don't know if anyone gives a poo poo about them at the moment anyway.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

To be honest though, I don't know if anyone gives a poo poo about them at the moment anyway.

yeah fair - we'll find out soon enough that wales should actually be 7th

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Vagabundo posted:

Doesn't really make a difference as I think all the games in the world Cup are worth double points like some sort of bonus round, so by and large those who do well in the world Cup will be higher than those who don't do well at the end of it anyway.

As a Wales fan can I just say it was very nice of everyone to let us see the top of the world, like a Make A Wish foundation kid being taken up there out of pity. It was a nice view but we decided that we wouldn't want to live there so we have gone back down to live with our sheep and leeks but we will talk about it for a long time.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

the silliest thing about the rankings is the way argentina (and to a lesser extent) italy get underrated.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also going back a bit to the Wales description for the World Cup thread, can I say anyone who thinks Alun-Wyn Jones is an android hasn't watched that video of him with that kid (who frankly looked really ill) after the friendly against England where he snuck him onto the pitch and gave him a ball and let him run for a little bit. Or that time the child mascot that follows the team onto the pitch was clearly freezing so he gave the kid he own coat.

The guy is a heart of gold encased in a stone exterior.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Also going back a bit to the Wales description for the World Cup thread, can I say anyone who thinks Alun-Wyn Jones is an android hasn't watched that video of him with that kid (who frankly looked really ill) after the friendly against England where he snuck him onto the pitch and gave him a ball and let him run for a little bit. Or that time the child mascot that follows the team onto the pitch was clearly freezing so he gave the kid he own coat.

The guy is a heart of gold encased in a stone exterior.

Even an android can cry.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Still very humid in Japan but by the times things kick off it should be bearable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

HappyCamperGL posted:

the silliest thing about the rankings is the way argentina (and to a lesser extent) italy get underrated.

France should be in the top three and bottom 5 simultaneously

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
God, being a professional rugby player sounds bloody miserable at times. This comes from the latest segment of Sam Warburton's autobiography, of which Wales Online are publishing excerpts. This is from the night before the second Lions test in New Zealand:

Sam Warburton posted:

Can’t sleep. The witching hour. The darkness comes flooding in, and it’s all I can do to stop it drowning me.

Everything hurts. My body, my mind, my heart. Everything.

I’m a wreck.

It’s easier to list the parts of me that aren’t in pain. My eyelashes. That’s pretty much it.

I’ve had more than 20 injuries over my career. Before I go out to play these days, I have to neck pain tablets while the physios strap me up like an Egyptian mummy. I have to stand there butt naked in front of them, cupping my twig and berries, while they bind my knees, my ankles, my shoulders and my elbows.

It’s not just tonight. It’s the relentless grind: week on week, month on month, year on year. Smash and be smashed. Try to recover. Smash and be smashed again.

The equivalent of strapping myself into a car like a crash test dummy and driving it at a wall every weekend.

I get out of bed. Shards of pain as my feet touch the floor. I push myself slowly upright, gritting my teeth as the aches flare and settle.

If my body’s only at around 70 per cent fitness, my mind feels around half that. I’m exhausted, but also wired: antsy, yet craving rest. Yes, these are the small hours when everything seems worse, but even in broad daylight the doubts and questions are never far away.

Sam Warburton shouldn’t be captain.

Sam Warburton shouldn’t be playing.

Sam Warburton’s past it.

What I know is that there are plenty of people out there who think that.

What I fear is that they might be right.

I take one step, gingerly, then another, and another. Walking – hobbling, more like – across the carpet over to the window.

I pull back the curtains and look out. Below me is the Wellington waterfront. It’s quiet and empty, but earlier this evening it was packed, as it will be tomorrow night.

Many will be wearing red rugby shirts and will have saved up for years to come all the way across the world just to watch us play.

I’ve played in some big games, but nothing that comes remotely close to this. It should be the highlight of my career. It feels like anything but.

This is a sport that’s been the biggest part of me for almost two decades, that has largely defined me. It’s a game I love. Rather, it’s a game I thought I loved. Right now, I hate it.

I want to be one of those fans, on the booze and singing their hearts out, with no problem more pressing than who gets the next round in. Instead, I’m here, torturing myself with questions to which I have no answer.

Why? Why am I doing this to myself? Why am I putting myself through all this pain, all this pressure, when I could be doing something – anything – else?

Why am I in a job which right now I detest?

Round and round and round. Physical stress, mental stress and emotional stress, all working on and off each other.

Two in the morning, and no-one to talk to.

I need to talk to someone. There are several people I could call, but there’s only one person I know will really understand.

I dial her number.

‘Sam?’ Her voice is full of concern. It’s lunchtime back home in Cardiff. She knows what time it is where I am, and that I wouldn’t be phoning for no reason.

‘I’ve had enough, Mum.’ My throat is tight with the effort of not bursting into tears. ‘I really have. I’m just going to go.’

‘Go where?’

‘To the airport. Do a bunk. Leave all my kit here, get on the first plane home. I’ll be in the air before they realise I’ve gone.’

I didn’t, of course. Can you imagine the headlines?

LIONS CAPTAIN DOES MIDNIGHT FLIT.

WARBURTON QUITS.

THE RUNAWAY SKIPPER.

And no-one knew, apart from my mum. She talked me down: told me that I didn’t owe anything to anyone, so all I had to do was get through this week and the next and then the series would be over and I could do what I wanted.

She was right, of course. She knew the way love for, and hatred of, rugby oscillated within me, because they did for her too. She loved what the game had given me and the pleasure I’d got from it, but she hated seeing me beaten up, or under the knife, or criticised.

No one knew, apart from my mum.

Poor Sam. I hope he's happier now :ohdear:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
There was a similar article about Wilkinson a few days ago. Less about the injuries, more about the anxiety and the fear.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

McCaw has stated that the 2011 World Cup campaign was a miserable slog, and has no memory of the post-match ceremony 8 years ago.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
gently caress me, that's heartbreaking. Imagine attaining the absolute pinnacle of the thing you grew up loving only to find you hate it.

Glad he retired when he did, he's turning into a great pundit and a future without that sort of nightmare sounds much more fun.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Would there be interest if I did an effortpost on attacking structure and pod systems? I feel like tv pundits are really poo poo at explaining what’s going on in a rugby game. Especially in England

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think understanding the pod system is fundamental to understanding the modern game. Whilst most tier 1 nations are running variations now its still crucial. That and the understanding of how set plays are designed to break down how specific defences and sometimes even specific players is good.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

bigfoot again posted:

Would there be interest if I did an effortpost on attacking structure and pod systems? I feel like tv pundits are really poo poo at explaining what’s going on in a rugby game. Especially in England

I’d love to see it, having only played a little rugby in Uni/high school I have the barest understanding of what’s actually happening on field.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bigfoot again posted:

just posttttttttttttttt

ghostal
Jul 13, 2008
The 1014 video series has been touching on pod structure this last week. As a rugby layman, fascinating stuff to see how tactics compare. This video goes over both NZ and England's tactics briefly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKHZe_u80o

E: Still, I'd appreciate a write-up on pods

ghostal fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

ghostal posted:

The 1014 video series has been touching on pod structure this last week. As a rugby layman, fascinating stuff to see how tactics compare. This video goes over both NZ and England's tactics briefly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKHZe_u80o

E: Still, I'd appreciate a write-up on pods

Yep their stuff has generally been great. Is there going to be a new thread for the World Cup?