Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Same old BWS, always cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You Am I posted:

I don't know why you lot are so negative when the best team in the AFL, Geelong, is still in the Finals. There should be happiness and joy at this fact. Bunch of sourpusses in this thread, tut tut

I think Geelong is the least worst option left now. Somehow Collingwood is the second least worst which I never thought would happen.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
yeah go cats

🐈

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
GWS (With Toby Greene getting gastro before the game and missing it)
Collingwood
Geelong
Meteor extinction level event

thepokey fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 14, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If the afl rub Greene out for two weeks for the face gouge (lol) I’ll get on board the giants bandwagon

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Giants plane could crash on the way home and nothing of value would be lost. They’re the biggest pack of cunts in the league.
They're a failed corporate project with next to zero passionate backing and it disappoints me that they're still a presence. There are teams I dislike more, but they're real teams with history and culture and drug scandals. In fact it's because they're real that they inspire dislike. GWS are fake and should go away.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The idea of caring about a club's history is dumb.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

humans are dumb hth

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Chairchucker posted:

history is interesting unlike being created in a boardroom.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah I think GWS sans Toby is the only one I'd actually be ok with winning it. The only way this loving final 4 could be worse is if Hawthorn were in it.

I hope Toby Greene gets his eyes gouged starting poo poo with a bikie or something and misses the Final if they make it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Chairchucker posted:

This is a foundation clubs only thread thank you very much.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

What else is there to care about, really?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Imagine if all of these practitioners of shithousery had stayed at Carlton and the Baggers were in this spot instead of GWS, they would easily be the most-hated club in the league.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

realbez posted:

What else is there to care about, really?

Exactly, matches need context, otherwise the Bulldogs winning 2016 would be as meaningful as Hawthorn in 2015.

BWS being a pack of jerks makes them an interesting club now, because of their history of being smug turds.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just care about teams because they're from your location or you like some of the players, or don't, IMO.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Chairchucker posted:

Just care about teams because they're from your location or you like some of the players, or don't, IMO.

Nah, we care about teams, (whether positive or negative), due to how they make, or made us feel.

Some of that is players you like/hate, (BOO Toby Greene, YAY Eddie Betts etc.), but a lot of it is history. Albeit personal history, but history nevertheless.

A personal example, One of the reasons I hate Essendon is because of a match about 15 years ago where there was an incident between me and the friend I was with, and some of her Essendon supporting friends. In my mind I will always associate the memories of the incident, and with Essendon. So I dislike them more than usual.

So a lot of the reasons people feel any way about a club are due to peoples personal feelings and history with that club. And it is good that GWS are building this personal relationship/history with the football world in general.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

That makes pretty much all sport far less interesting with that reductive perspective to be honest. It takes the romance and narrative out of sport, being a Freo supporter knowing that we’ve perennially struggled to perform well, when we do make that eventual (fingers crossed) GF win it will be all the more sweeter.

After all, footy is just another form of entertainment, and with the long histories of the sport/clubs, it makes following it all the more richer for the supporters.

And the histories and stories of clubs is even more important at the amateur level, it keeps people and clubs together through the tough times and makes the good times all the more enjoyable.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Toby Greene not banned for the Brisbane game, is banned for the Collingwood game, quality work from the VFL, even FIFA looks on in awe at their ability to fix results :thumbsup:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GWS, what a pack of bastards. The camera angles might have been fooling me but I swear they were picking fights just to unman players, that's disgusting.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

NTRabbit posted:

Toby Greene not banned for the Brisbane game, is banned for the Collingwood game, quality work from the VFL, even FIFA looks on in awe at their ability to fix results :thumbsup:

Don't read malice into what can just as easily be explained by incompetence.

Are the AFL poo poo? Yes. Are the AFL overly Victorian, and "big Victorian club" focused, often to the detriment of the other clubs? Hell yes. But is there a conspiracy? I highly doubt it.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Spedman posted:

That makes pretty much all sport far less interesting with that reductive perspective to be honest. It takes the romance and narrative out of sport, being a Freo supporter knowing that we’ve perennially struggled to perform well, when we do make that eventual (fingers crossed) GF win it will be all the more sweeter.

After all, footy is just another form of entertainment, and with the long histories of the sport/clubs, it makes following it all the more richer for the supporters.

And the histories and stories of clubs is even more important at the amateur level, it keeps people and clubs together through the tough times and makes the good times all the more enjoyable.

I was explaining this to a non-sport supporter the other year, following sport is just another form of human drama. A tv show might have a few good seasons then the writers run out of ideas, but sport has its own storylines there for whoever wants to follow it. Sometimes it's rewarding (like when your team does well) and sometimes it isn't, but then it's up to you if you want to focus in on smaller stories, like tracking the development of your favourite players.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

nvm

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Imagine if there are two successful appeals this week. :allears:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

I was explaining this to a non-sport supporter the other year, following sport is just another form of human drama. A tv show might have a few good seasons then the writers run out of ideas, but sport has its own storylines there for whoever wants to follow it. Sometimes it's rewarding (like when your team does well) and sometimes it isn't, but then it's up to you if you want to focus in on smaller stories, like tracking the development of your favourite players.

Lol imagine caring about local team playing sportsball, idiot

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

People stop being mean to Toby :qq:

- Some fuckwit that couldn’t keep his dick in his pants for the sake of his wife and kids

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

People stop being mean to Toby :qq:

- Some fuckwit that couldn’t keep his dick in his pants for the sake of his wife and kids

You got to be a little more specific there my son

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

You got to be a little more specific there my son

His name rhymes with gimme fartell

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Leon Cameron, like clockwork, has come out arguing that the AFL are being too mean on Toby Greene and he's being unfairly treated by the tribunal as he was already fined last week 🤔

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can’t help but imagine how many weeks Sicily would have gotten for either incident. He’d be suspended until round 15 at least.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

His name rhymes with gimme fartell

No, don't be true :smith:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Simon Goodwin is at odds of $41 to be the next Freo coach, along with Clive Waterhouse and Gerard Neesham.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Simon Goodwin is at odds of $41 to be the next Freo coach, along with Clive Waterhouse and Gerard Neesham.

So you’re saying there’s a chance

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You Am I posted:

No, don't be true :smith:

Didn’t you know? It’s the worst kept secret here in Geelong

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Didn’t you know? It’s the worst kept secret here in Geelong

I think I've seen it all over the cover of the Hun

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Spedman posted:

I think I've seen it all over the cover of the Hun

It’s been going on for longer than that. It’s only hit the news once his misses got jack of it and broke up with him. Apparently her old man at the wedding told Jimmy he had to keep it in his pants from then on but he obviously couldn’t help himself.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

Leon Cameron, like clockwork, has come out arguing that the AFL are being too mean on Toby Greene and he's being unfairly treated by the tribunal as he was already fined last week 🤔

Player with long term pattern of habitual violence continually punished, coach can't work out why, we'll have more on this at 6pm.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

monolithburger posted:

Player with long term pattern of habitual violence continually punished, coach can't work out why, we'll have more on this at 6pm.

And by “Continually punished” we mean has been suspended one quarter of the times he’s been reported

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

And by “Continually punished” we mean has been suspended one quarter of the times he’s been reported

Don't forget those meaningful fines of $1500 to a player earning ~$800k a year for the next 5 years

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Leave Toby alone!!!! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Consider labelling theory guys, we keep calling Toby a thug and now he believes it. He believes he can’t be anything else and we have trapped him in a perpetual cycle of violence. We are the real monsters after all! ....says Leon Cameron, probably.