Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Every class feeling basically the same is what prevents me from getting into this game. It’s so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Just go Nightblade, at least they have a stealth that lets you change how you interact with dungeons by skipping through them entirely.

As for the last update, I'm pretty bummed that they removed the AOE draw-in effect from that one Nightblade skill and the jump back from the knock back arrow skill. Just, why?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Yeah, Nightblade is still pretty unique since they managed to avoid the "vMA required" meta. (From a PvE standpoint)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Too bad no one wants stamblades because gotta get that pay2win ult.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I stopped actively playing a couple months ago and haven't kept up with the myriad of changes, but has anything happened recently to make PvE magsorcs (of the non-pet variety) or mag dks worse? Just want to know if I decide to come back if I'm going to be weaker than when I stopped.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Just started playing this for shits and giggles and would like a NA guild invite if possible ign is @Durosklav

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Rollersnake posted:

I stopped actively playing a couple months ago and haven't kept up with the myriad of changes, but has anything happened recently to make PvE magsorcs (of the non-pet variety) or mag dks worse? Just want to know if I decide to come back if I'm going to be weaker than when I stopped.

Magsorc pet builds got hit with the nerf bat. MagDK are actually the best magicka DPS out there currently.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I played when this game dropped and had a blast since there was no endgame except RvR nostalgia. Started a Stamden this morning and am actually enjoying leveling.

Guild invite? @fvnze

I'll be playing quite a bit since I dropped a few bucks on ESO+ and some other BS

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Just trying this out again for the first time since launch. Seems better. Could I get a guild invite @thehacker0? Thanks

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Ort posted:

Every class feeling basically the same is what prevents me from getting into this game. It’s so dumb.

It depends on how you play. My Templar is very easy to level with compared to my Dragon Knight. The stabby spear of light is almost too easy to kill with.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Pugzilla posted:

It depends on how you play. My Templar is very easy to level with compared to my Dragon Knight. The stabby spear of light is almost too easy to kill with.

For leveling DKs just use the poison barf and Brawler. Or I guess the fire barf and Inhale if you're a magicka one.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Picked this up over the free trial weekend and I'm slowly figuring it out and having fun.

Couple of questions.

Content seems to level with you somewhat. I'm finding some quests super easy, and some pretty rough. However, I am on a quest chain now where I have to kill three giants. Electricity, Earth, and Fire I think. I went into the electricity entrance and the trash mobs killed me pretty fast. Yeah, I'll need resist gear to help, but if I go and do other quests and come back a few levels later, will that content scale up and still be super tough, or will it be easier? I can't seem to find a consistent answer. Some people post about level 10 quests and coming back at level 15. Yet people say everything scales. Which is it? Are there levels for quests? If so, how do I see what level they are meant to be for?

I'm about level 14 or so. Can I respec easily if I find out around level 30 that I wanted to put points here instead of there? Right now I am just putting points where ever I feel like having fun. I am not at the point where I am thinking about the min/max game. I just want to play and to (mostly) figure it out on my own for now.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Literally everything scales there are no recommended levels

Stuff is hard at low level because you have poo poo choices in items and skills at that point. Don’t grind or overthink it. Take any better item you can. You will outgrow everything super fast anyway.

You get a free respec at 50 so just play around until then.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Pay attention to date stamps when you look for info on this game, because it's been massively redesigned since launch. The internet is full of advice that no longer applies, particularly in regard to levels. Levels are pretty close to meaningless now.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Philthy posted:

Picked this up over the free trial weekend and I'm slowly figuring it out and having fun.

Couple of questions.

Content seems to level with you somewhat. I'm finding some quests super easy, and some pretty rough. However, I am on a quest chain now where I have to kill three giants. Electricity, Earth, and Fire I think. I went into the electricity entrance and the trash mobs killed me pretty fast. Yeah, I'll need resist gear to help, but if I go and do other quests and come back a few levels later, will that content scale up and still be super tough, or will it be easier? I can't seem to find a consistent answer. Some people post about level 10 quests and coming back at level 15. Yet people say everything scales. Which is it? Are there levels for quests? If so, how do I see what level they are meant to be for?

I'm about level 14 or so. Can I respec easily if I find out around level 30 that I wanted to put points here instead of there? Right now I am just putting points where ever I feel like having fun. I am not at the point where I am thinking about the min/max game. I just want to play and to (mostly) figure it out on my own for now.

Are you in Craglorn, by any chance? If so, that zone is mostly designed around higher-level characters in terms of mob density and boss health, although it's doable at low levels with the right gear and build.

If you're starting out, a good way to level would be to do your faction's questline (Bleakrock Isle for Ebonheart Pact, Stros M'kai for Daggerfall Covenant, Khenarthi's Roost for Aldmeri Dominion) and go from there, or Morrowind if you have it. Ask in guild chat for a set of training gear, that'll help you level more quickly too.

And respeccing is super cheap and easy, it just costs a bit of gold to reset attributes and skills/morphs (and champion points, once you get those).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
As far as my activity, I play this game as a single player game that happens to have other people running around. Maybe occasionally I'll hop into Cyrodiil to do PvDoor.

When there's new story content, I'll be there but not much otherwise.

Game still seems to have a decent playerbase though, so it will remain a lucrative source of story content.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Really enjoying this so far. I got burned out on MMOs with Everquest and made it three or four expansions in WoW before I just couldn't do the grind anymore.

This is different. Everywhere I go, there are dozens of people. Even the most remote little dungeon area seems to have a bunch of people in it. So the world feels very "lived in" I guess? I haven't had to grind, and the quests are all as good as anything Oblivion and Skyrim had. Some of them have been very epic feeling with a lot of scripted stuff happening all over the world. You never saw this in stuff like EQ or WoW.

This really feels like they made Oblivion / Skyrim and opened it up to thousands of people.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PvP events are literally the only thing I look forward to in this dumb game nowadays because of poo poo like this

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I’m rolling as a dark elf dps magicka dragonknight.

Currently using a mix of burning spellweave and silks of the sun.

Anyone got suggestions for alternate builds, perhaps to make me feel like less of a glass cannon?

Also, is spellbook hunting really the only way to level mages guild after doing the quest chain?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ElectricWizard posted:

I’m rolling as a dark elf dps magicka dragonknight.

Currently using a mix of burning spellweave and silks of the sun.

Anyone got suggestions for alternate builds, perhaps to make me feel like less of a glass cannon?

Also, is spellbook hunting really the only way to level mages guild after doing the quest chain?
You can also get it by paying money! If you already did it on another character, that is. Otherwise, your best bet is to install a map addon that shows where all the books are.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
How does grouping work with levels?

I'm 20 now, but what happens if someones asking for help and they're over/under by a lot?

Can I just join any group that isn't looking for Elite/CPxxx ?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Right, you can join any content that isn't Veteran, and you're affected by level scaling. You routinely have normal dungeon groups with a huge variance in player levels.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Nice. So at level 20 I can use the dungeon finder tool to get into a rando group and they're not going to care too much about me facing the wrong way all the time because it's just rando group like in any other game? I'm on my lunch, but i'll give it a shot later on.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Depends on the group. Most are pretty laid back, but if the group is lacking in DPS then people sometimes get really pissy at the tank or healer (usually the healer in my experience).

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
How long after completing the "kill Manemarko" quest do I get the quest to go after Molag Bol? It's been a week of real-world time and I've completed a few other quests and been to a few larger cities.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Pugzilla posted:

How long after completing the "kill Manemarko" quest do I get the quest to go after Molag Bol? It's been a week of real-world time and I've completed a few other quests and been to a few larger cities.

I got it as soon as I used a wayshrine, I think.

Am I missing something, or is there no real reward for finishing the main story? I just got another quest from the dude with a kettle on his head which seems to involve beating another faction storyline.

Also, I assume the Dragonspire trial is endgame level stuff for full teams? I’m at champion level 180 and barely scratched the first enemy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think some of the other (future?) content required the main quest to be completed to access it also. They had a twitch stream on and they kept saying you needed x main quests completed to get x.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Picked this game up again after a few years and my cat wizard is getting lonely can I get an invite to the chat guild please?

Username: butternubs7

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Philthy posted:

I think some of the other (future?) content required the main quest to be completed to access it also. They had a twitch stream on and they kept saying you needed x main quests completed to get x.

That was probably today's stream, and it only applies to this year's overarching storyline.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Butternubs posted:

Picked this game up again after a few years and my cat wizard is getting lonely can I get an invite to the chat guild please?

Username: butternubs7
I tried both butternubs7 and @butternubs7 but it tells me the "account could not be found".

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Worth mentioning, even without a sub, you can get the Imperial City DLC for free right now just for logging in and saying "yeah I want this" from the in game crown store.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

radintorov posted:

I tried both butternubs7 and @butternubs7 but it tells me the "account could not be found".

Ah might be with a capital?

UserID:Butternubs7

or do you need the char name instead?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Butternubs posted:

Ah might be with a capital?

UserID:Butternubs7

or do you need the char name instead?

Try character name. Also what platform you're on.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

did someone actually ban me for saying ACAB(in response to someone posting an article about an ikea hide and seek game being shut down) in the general chat of the discord? i am genuinely confused

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Just did my first trial, which was a 12 player sunspire run where the initiating player was level 30 or so. An awesome tank guy instructed the whole group and we made it through. Most fun I’ve had in the game so far, although my fps dropped to 10 at times.

Any tips for settings to turn down that alleviate this without sacrificing too much fidelity?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

did someone actually ban me for saying ACAB(in response to someone posting an article about an ikea hide and seek game being shut down) in the general chat of the discord? i am genuinely confused

Didn't see anything on the ban list, try re-joining?

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Try character name. Also what platform you're on.

I'm on PC, UserID: Butternubs7, Character name: Ernndur

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

ElectricWizard posted:

Just did my first trial, which was a 12 player sunspire run where the initiating player was level 30 or so. An awesome tank guy instructed the whole group and we made it through. Most fun I’ve had in the game so far, although my fps dropped to 10 at times.

Any tips for settings to turn down that alleviate this without sacrificing too much fidelity?

Bad news on the fidelity, but good news about getting more performance. Shut shadows off, turn down Particle slider to 720 and then minimize the other slider right below it (can't remember the name), turn draw distance down to 15 (this is a MASSIVE increase) and then shut off all of the on/off checks at the bottom (AA, AO, etc.). Now, it's not gonna look good, but goddamn will you see a big increase in raw performance. Trials are inherently super heavy on your system since there's so much poo poo happening on screen. Plus, this game is poorly optimized, so nuking your graphics is kinda necessary for endgame stuff.

Hope this helps. Have fun killing teh dargon.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Butternubs posted:

I'm on PC, UserID: Butternubs7, Character name: Ernndur

I'm still getting account not found. Are you on the NA platform or the EU platform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candrr
Nov 29, 2018
Need an invite to the NA server please. Names @Candrr.

Candrr fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 20, 2019