Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Homer Is Where The Art Isn't (S29) is a properly good episode. It's a 70s/80s detective show parody in which Homer is accused of stealing a painting. There's none of the worst sins of modern Simpsons - not overly self referential, guest voice is playing a character, Homer acts like a human. I really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The joke is that Homer steals the painting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

I keep saying it, but I will not watch any recent Simpsons until Julie Kavner puts out a press release assuring us that she's not in horrible pain doing that voice.

She wouldn't lie to the fans like that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Horace posted:

Homer Is Where The Art Isn't (S29) is a properly good episode. It's a 70s/80s detective show parody in which Homer is accused of stealing a painting. There's none of the worst sins of modern Simpsons - not overly self referential, guest voice is playing a character, Homer acts like a human. I really liked it.

Don't praise the machine

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Horace posted:

nice try, i've been burned by the "check this new episode of hte simpsons, it's not bad" horseshit before. your not getting me this time

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I've got four more new episodes on my DVR and nothing to do tonight so buckle in for recommendations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What, Sears catalog hasn’t come yet?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Points off for going the easy route and adding in two clip show episodes, but they did put Lisa Goes Gaga as the #1 worst episode so well done.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Horace posted:

I've got four more new episodes on my DVR and nothing to do tonight so buckle in for recommendations.

I recommend not watching any simpsons episode made this century

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Points off for going the easy route and adding in two clip show episodes, but they did put Lisa Goes Gaga as the #1 worst episode so well done.

The clip show episodes are good because the clips are from classic Simpsons. Now if there was a nu Simpsons clip show, it'd be bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Horace posted:

uh, do not recommend

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

The clip show episodes are good because the clips are from classic Simpsons. Now if there was a nu Simpsons clip show, it'd be bad.

True, they are good just based on that. I just don't like them being included in best/worst lineups because of them being mostly recycled material anyway.

Horace posted:

"Don't watch these."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DizzyBum posted:

"Don't watch these."

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

DizzyBum posted:

"Don't watch these."

Well, the first episode was this one:

so gently caress it, don't watch these

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Horace posted:

:lol: :boom:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Horace posted:

That screenshot makes me inexplicably angry. gently caress you, modern Simpsons writers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That screenshot makes me inexplicably angry. gently caress you, modern Simpsons writers.

Don't worry they hate you too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m assuming you haven’t seen the actual clip; otherwise you surely must have meant explicably angry.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I’m assuming you haven’t seen the actual clip; otherwise you surely must have meant explicably angry.

*Nods with only one frame of animation*

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What's cool is that the Simpsons writers back in like 1997 made a whole plot about Krusty becoming an out of touch hack who just relied on decades old racial stereotypes for a laugh that modern audiences weren't going to give anymore.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Tell me what it is and why it sucks!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Tell me what it is and why it sucks!
that will be done at a later date

if at all :smith:

edit: gently caress it

https://twitter.com/levinejonathan/status/983350019892891648

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 14, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Please stop, Julie. I can tell it hurts, just stop.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The problem with Apu wouldn't have been a problem if Simpsons had been cancelled a decade ago like was the correct choice.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

brugroffil posted:

What's cool is that the Simpsons writers back in like 1997 made a whole plot about Krusty becoming an out of touch hack who just relied on decades old racial stereotypes for a laugh that modern audiences weren't going to give anymore.

yo.. and didnt that episode have moe saying "and now, without further apu" ?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ikanreed posted:

The problem with Apu wouldn't have been a problem if Simpsons had been cancelled a decade ago like was the correct choice.

That's been my opinion. Attempting to fix him would basically be putting a bandage on a gaping infected gunshot wound. He's racist, yeah, but he's also really anachronistic in a way most of the other characters are that made more sense in a 90s context than today's.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's been my opinion. Attempting to fix him would basically be putting a bandage on a gaping infected gunshot wound. He's racist, yeah, but he's also really anachronistic in a way most of the other characters are that made more sense in a 90s context than today's.

It suddenly struck me one time that the Simpsons was weirdly anachronistic from the very start - the situation of "Dad works a well-paid unionised blue-collar industrial job, Mum's a housewife and drives a station wagon, kids idolise a clown hosting a variety hour on TV" (and loads of other stuff) seems odd even for the early 90s. Someone - perhaps in this thread? - said that, in the early seasons at least, much of it is really a show made in the 90s by Gen-Xers reflecting their childhoods in the 70s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. Even a character like Krusty is a TV clown but also represents golden age media moguls. My point wasn't so much that it's bad that they're anachronistic, but it's anachronisticly created for a different generation like you said. The episode where John Waters guest stared (back when guest stars played characters) showed this really well when he was super fascinated by how campy the Simpson family and house was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the simpsons' purposeful anachronistic style was very much an attempt to make things 'timeless'. It was weirdly outdated in a lot of ways but also modern and it all kinda came together to make a funny cartoon world.

Then they decided we need episodes devoted to 'Mapple' and poo poo and welp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I liked how they used phone numbers that started with letter prefixes.

Klondike 5-6793, let it ring!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ikanreed posted:

I think you mean two decades ago

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

marktheando posted:

I think you mean two decades ago

I mean there's an ideal point to kill it, but 10 years ago would've been when everyone already knew it was bad

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

While probably not as bad as the new episodes my breaking point that made me stop watching was the episode with the "screamapillar". Homer has to take care of a rare caterpillar that screams all the time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Llyr posted:

While probably not as bad as the new episodes my breaking point that made me stop watching was the episode with the "screamapillar". Homer has to take care of a rare caterpillar that screams all the time.

I wouldn't call that a 'new' episode, it's 17 years old.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

I wouldn't call that a 'new' episode, it's 17 years old.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The first episode aired right before I was born, and it's still going

I'm going to die before they pull the plug on the Simpsons

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Phlegmish posted:

The first episode aired right before I was born, and it's still going

I'm going to die before they pull the plug on the Simpsons
The pact has been made, the sacrifice chosen

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Horace posted:

It’s not even the terrible politics that makes this so bad. There is no loving joke. Where are the jokes? Isn’t this a comedy? Why do they sound like that?

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

WeaponX posted:

It’s not even the terrible politics that makes this so bad. There is no loving joke. Where are the jokes? Isn’t this a comedy? Why do they sound like that?

Yeah, exactly. I'd seen that clip but not the episode, and I was enjoying the bit about Marge's favourite childhood book being racist until I realised what it was segueing into. There's no joke, they could as well have done it with a caption in the credits reading "Yeah, Apu's racist now. Simpsons writers hear ye, Simpsons writers don't care"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007