Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

High School Big Shot is the worst in terms of just being hateful and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

John Murdoch posted:

"Knew him? He was delicious!"

"Another helpin' of filth for ya?"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

tankadillo posted:

High School Big Shot is the worst in terms of just being hateful and depressing.

It moves quickly and the criminals he meets are fun. It also has a female character taking decisive action, even if she’s evil, which is rare and many of the black-and-white 50s movies they do. In the ending scene, where they decide to just do some of it during the daytime, is hilarious. A Rapp classic.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Mokinokaro posted:

Or the version of Hamlet they did. That episode is hard to get through.

nah, hamlet is extremely funny

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Another season 1 defender, checking in!

I honestly have a fondness for all of them, with three exceptions:

1) Project Moonbase - Big time misogyny already mentioned, and that's on top of just being really, really dull. The two episodes of Commando Cody are worth watching though.

2) Women from a Prehistoric Planet - This one is on me. It's a crappy Scifi in color! I should love it! I don't. Feels six hours long, and despite trying to have an anti-racists message, feels really racist.

3) Black Scorpion - The movie is okay! But there are some really racists riffs from Joel and the Bots, and one bad sketch. It's uncomfortable.

Went to watch Day Time Ended, and I forgot that I had cancelled my Netflix sub. Oops.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I’m glad TV’s Frank is slowing down and taking it easy

https://twitter.com/frankconniff/status/1171094358872997888?s=21

(I’m also glad he still doesn’t give a gently caress)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Breadallelogram posted:

The Castle of Fu Manchu.

Another Bill posted:

Yeah I mean I expected it to be racist but wow

Not only that, it has to be the worst film print they've ever used.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

In terms of modern riffs, Jonah's complete breakdown during the climax of Mac and Me kills me every time.

"NOOOO!! THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

I think we can all agree that Beast of Yucca Flats is probably the worst movie MST3K has ever done, the episode itself has some good gags throughout, and thus is worth watching once, but it's definitely one with minimal rewatch value

Monster A Go Go might win out

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was no monster. Sorry for wasting your time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Creeping Terror is also pretty unwatchable

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Creeping Terror BARELY qualifies as a movie

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I have a soft spot for The Creeping Terror just because of how completely goofy the monster and its method of attack are.

The choice to replace the lost dialog track with narration instead of at least attempting to redub it is utterly baffling, even though I understand the technical reasons.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

TVs Ian posted:

I have a soft spot for The Creeping Terror just because of how completely goofy the monster and its method of attack are.

Same here, plus I think the worst films inspire the best riffs, and there are real some gems in that one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Same here, plus I think the worst films inspire the best riffs, and there are real some gems in that one.

It gave us my favorite low-key sketch, which is Mike sitting and listening to the dance theme. It goes on forever and I love it so. Mike even does the audiophile thing of putting a green felt pen into the center of the CD to ink it and get better fidelity.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Failson posted:

Another season 1 defender, checking in!

I honestly have a fondness for all of them, with three exceptions:

1) Project Moonbase - Big time misogyny already mentioned, and that's on top of just being really, really dull. The two episodes of Commando Cody are worth watching though.

So, I've been trying to gradually go through the entirety of MST3K. I even have an excel spreadsheet so I know what I've seen and I can take notes if there's something I do not want to see again--like if an episode has a movie where they clearly just had two animals maul each other on screen (King Dinosaur, I think, has an iguana and a small crocodile fight and it's horrible. The footage was also used as b-roll in Robot Monster). Sometimes it's just a heads up so I can skip past a bad thing or maybe just not rewatch altogether.

My note for Project Moonbase is simply "I hate this movie so much."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like there are a couple of people in a rocket ship movies, and I cant remember liking any of them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mr. Fowl posted:

King Dinosaur, I think, has an iguana and a small crocodile fight and it's horrible.

Yes, but at least we got the "Gecko-Roman wrestling" riff out of it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

I feel like there are a couple of people in a rocket ship movies, and I cant remember liking any of them.

First Spaceship to Venus
12 to the Moon
Rocketship X-M
Project Moonbase
Space Travelers
Big swaths of Fire Maidens of Outer Space if I recall correctly. Bunch of real snoozers. Those and the westerns they did just bounce right off me no matter how funny the jokes are.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Splint Chesthair posted:

First Spaceship to Venus
12 to the Moon
Rocketship X-M
Project Moonbase
Space Travelers
Big swaths of Fire Maidens of Outer Space if I recall correctly. Bunch of real snoozers. Those and the westerns they did just bounce right off me no matter how funny the jokes are.

I really liked First Spaceship to Venus, and 12 to the Moon is just terrible enough to be a fun riff for me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

remusclaw posted:

That's because there was a time when people grew more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just took the time to look at it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sash! posted:

That's because there was a time when people grew more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just took the time to look at it.

Also, be sure to bring cats when you visit the moon!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sash! posted:

You're some guy, Sash!

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Sash! posted:

Yes, but he learned almost to late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it the greatest in the universe

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
On the other end of the spectrum, I don't get Kevin's eternal burning hatred of Gunslinger. I thought it was a fun movie, even without riffs :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I don't get Kevin's eternal burning hatred of Gunslinger. I thought it was a fun movie, even without riffs :shrug:

Kevin Murphy posted:

"One of my darkest fears is that I'll one day make my own film, my story, my direction, my own crystalline vision of something so universal, it must needs be shared with the world on the silver screen. And I make the movie, and it turns out like Gunslinger, or any other Corman film—turgid, insipid, clichéd, confusing, every opportunity for artistic expression intentionally ignored."

(From the Amazing Colossal Guide.)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know, I like Roger Corman as a director.

I hate his movies, but the man really did have talent, and was clearly aiming higher than what his budget gave him. There's moments in each of his films where you see he does something really well. Like in the Undead, when the time traveling psychologist is explaining to the good witch what's going on - that shot is fantastic.

I mean, he was working with beans and franks production value on rushed timelines and producing b-movies because they needed product. Say what you will, but his work wasn't lazy.

Although, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the inner workings of the Undead.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The Undead is a genuinely entertaining premise of loving around with past lives. Too bad about most everything else about it (other than digger Smolkin)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Roger Corman was kind of the grandfather of the New Hollywood movement that finally ended the Hollywood Production Code and danced on its corpse. He gave Peter Fonda the leading role in The Wild Angels after Fonda had gone counterculture, and he wound up being the reason Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and Jack Nicholson met. Corman may have focused more on the bottom line than the artistic side of movie making, but the man was never interested in playing by the big studios' rules, either.

I shouldn't say "was." Corman is still actively making movies.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 14, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Corman also gave Francis Ford Coppola his big break. Coppola, aside from directing some of the greatest American films also helped other directors get their start, including George Lucas. Corman's stuff is also where James Cameron, Joe Dante, and Jonathan Demme got their start.

If you're a fan of MST3K and film you absolutely need to watch the Corman documentary Corman's World.

It's really fuckin good. Some great interviews including Jack Nicholson, which was the standout for me.

It's a shame Corman's recent stuff is all basic cable Syfy poo poo.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Death Race 2000 is a legitimately good Corman movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Angry_Ed posted:

Death Race 2000 is a legitimately good Corman movie.

He didn't direct it but yeah he produced it and it was from his New World Pictures.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also almost all of his Vincent Price horror films from the 60s are amazing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I also legitimately enjoy the Fantastic Four movie he did. The effects might be terrible but he did capture the characters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mokinokaro posted:

I also legitimately enjoy the Fantastic Four movie he did. The effects might be terrible but he did capture the characters.

That movie is way better than it has any right to be, it’s nuts. Everyone should watch it (assuming you can find it).

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Corman's film in the most recent MST3K season is a pretty decent Doctor Who script, only without the Doctor in it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mokinokaro posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That movie is way better than it has any right to be, it’s nuts. Everyone should watch it (assuming you can find it).

Hard agree!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Now the Affleck/Daredevil and Cage/Ghost Rider on the other hand.... WOOF

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Another Bill posted:

Now the Affleck/Daredevil and Cage/Ghost Rider on the other hand.... WOOF

You gotta watch Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, it's an amazing trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mokinokaro posted:

It's the best Fantastic Four movie that isn't The Incredibles.