Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://youtu.be/ojm74VGsZBU?t=325

This never stops tripping me out. I only went there for a semester and it is loving freaky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
why do film nerds all have the same voice

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I went to SFU and I don't think a week went by where someone didn't comment on how miserable it always looks. Please, no more violence.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

RBC posted:

why do film nerds all have the same voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IEhcN9aFo
lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've seen prisons that are more visually appealing.

It was designed by a prison architect iirc. And his name was, Simon Fraser

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

brutalism is insanely brutaliful and v. canadian

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

can someone who knows better tell me if this is the case; do property taxes for neighbourhoods/areas that are designated to a school directly influence the amount of money that school has available to them/the amount that school gets funded, or is it all a part of a larger redistribution system?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

can someone who knows better tell me if this is the case; do property taxes for neighbourhoods/areas that are designated to a school directly influence the amount of money that school has available to them/the amount that school gets funded, or is it all a part of a larger redistribution system?

Anecdotally:

The schools in low property tax areas here are full of the wrong kinds of people and they're falling apart, the schools in the rich areas have fantastic extracurricular programs, and the schools in tiny Mennonite towns regularly seem to produce sports talent and have the latest & greatest sports equipment.

The only time I've seen redistribution work fairly is in the french immersion districts. You could live in a poorer neighborhood but punch above your weight in education if your kid went to french immersion, the funding was next level.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not really doing the "French immersion - the private school experience within the public system" side any favors there, are they?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mandarin and French Immersion schools in Vancouver can't find teachers. How could this happen?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.newwestrecord.ca/news/new-westminster-french-immersion-registration-unfair-say-parents-1.1831034

Well before tiny Amelia Vugteveen was ready for solid foods, her parents registered her for French immersion in the New Westminster school district.

If you think that guarantees the local infant a spot in the program five years from now, you don’t know School District No. 40 French immersion, according to some frustrated local parents.

“Theoretically, because our daughter was born in November, it could be that there’s enough people registered from January through to the rest of the year that the chances go down just based on her birthday,” Amelia’s dad, Rick Vugteveen, told the Record.

Spots in New West’s French immersion programs go to the kids who were signed up first – not signed up first during the year they’re ready to start kindergarten; signed up first, period.

Savvy local parents register their offspring as soon as they’re born since the district puts kids in priority order as soon copies of their birth certificate and proof of residence are received and their application is date and time stamped.

Mona Boucher, a Quebec-born francophone who’s lived in New West since 2011, wasn’t so lucky.

Her daughter Elise currently attends English kindergarten at Herbert Spencer Elementary despite having been registered for the school’s French immersion program at age 18 months in September 2011.

James Baud has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Sep 15, 2019

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mon dieu... at least I know I can always get work teaching French out west

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Another Bill posted:

Mon dieu... at least I know I can always get work teaching French out west

I hope you like being homeless.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

incontinence 100 posted:

I hope you like being homeless.

A, a, a.... sans-abris

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Another Bill posted:

A, a, a.... sans-abris

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

lol

https://twitter.com/AhmarSKhan/status/1173245470589800448

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
don't we have laws regulating that kind of thing im too lazy to look this up and its sunday someone please look into it for me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Well y'know, the shirtless guy isn't wrong. Fletcher is a man of integrity. He is 100% dedicated to being a colossal poo poo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Politicians who pretend to not be giant pieces of poo poo lack integrity it's true

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:colbert:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Jun 20, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There's an actual PPC lawn sign around the corner from my house and I'm not sure if I want to talk it over with the guy or check up on his Persian neighbours to make sure they're not losing their poo poo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sans abri, sans merci is an incredible tag line

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Official Languages Act was worth it for that alone

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

remember When the most offensive thing about Fletcher was that he was against assisted suicide because he was afraid someone like him might murdered by a caregiver

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

half cocaine posted:

remember When the most offensive thing about Fletcher was that he was against assisted suicide because he was afraid someone like him might murdered by a caregiver

The guy's a shithead, but there's no need to make things up. He's been for assisted suicide for as long as I can remember, and has tabled bills to that effect back when the cons were in power.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I wish we would table a bill that allowed us to vote one politician at every level to be selected for assisted suicide after each election.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm torn between feeling sad, angry or laughing at the fact that my vote is completely worthless because I live in Melanie Joly's district.

I miss Maria Mourani.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The bottom three made me laugh.

(Childcare and tuition low for obvious reasons though, ie irrelevant and/or Quebec)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I keep getting calls from Numeris which I am guessing is some kind of polling firm for the election but I’ll be hosed if I want to talk to a pollster.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Where's ATM fees on that chart??

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Another Bill posted:

Sans abri, sans merci is an incredible tag line

Rendre justice...une cartouche a la fois!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I wonder who Yves Corbeille plays in the dub.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

priznat posted:

I keep getting calls from Numeris which I am guessing is some kind of polling firm for the election but I’ll be hosed if I want to talk to a pollster.

worse, they work for the cable companies

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

a primate posted:

worse, they work for the cable companies

gross. added it to the blocked list on my phone.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

we are not going to get universal pharmacare ever are we?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we'll be lucky if we keep universal health care for another decade

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

infernal machines posted:

we'll be lucky if we keep universal health care for another decade

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Pharmacare, come get yer pharmacare

quote:

2019 SHORT PLATFORM

CREATE JOBS

Adopt a full-employment policy and replace precarious work with well-paid, permanent jobs.
Enact a 32 hour work week with no loss in take-home pay.
Invest in value-added manufacturing and secondary industry.
Nationalize GM and build an affordable electric car and mass public transit. Retrofit and upgrade public infrastructure.
Build 1 million units of social housing.
Expand social programs.
Enact plant closure legislation.
Cancel job-destroying ‘free trade’ deals.

RAISE WAGES, PENSIONS, AND EI

Raise the minimum wage to $20.
Enact universal pay and employment equity.
Raise EI benefits to 90% of previous earnings, and include coverage for first-time job seekers.
Increase public pensions, with full benefits at 60.
Enact a Labour Bill of Rights guaranteeing the right to strike, picket and organize.

HALT CLIMATE CHANGE

Emergency legislation to slash carbon emissions and end carbon ‘credits’.
Nationalize energy and natural resources.
Develop solar, wind, geothermal, hydro and other renewables.
Close the tarsands and associated pipelines, and guarantee jobs at equivalent wages to laid-off workers.
Ban fracking.
Impose heavy fines and jail terms on polluters.

PEACE, DISARMAMENT & SOVEREIGNTY

Adopt an independent Canadian foreign policy of peace and disarmament.
Cut military spending by 75%.
Get out of NATO and NORAD.
Sign the Treaty to Abolish Nuclear Weapons.
Bring Canadian troops home and cancel military exports.
No new fighter jets.
End Canada’s involvement in US regime change in Venezuela.
Enact boycott, divestment and sanctions on Israel.

EXPAND UNIVERSAL SOCIAL PROGRAMS – END POVERTY

Enact a liveable Guaranteed Annual Income.
Ban “workfare”.
Expand Medicare to include pharmacare, dental and vision care, long-term care, and mental health care.
Reduce drug overdose deaths with harm reduction and ‘safe supply’ policies.
Enforce the Canada Health Act.
Stop privatization.
Enact a universally accessible, free, quality, public childcare system.
Make post-secondary education free.
Cancel student debt.
Ban unpaid internships.
Introduce postal banking and restore home delivery at Canada Post.

A NEW, EQUAL AND VOLUNTARY PARTNERSHIP

Recognize the right of nations to self-determination, up to and including secession, and draft a new Constitution based on an equal, voluntary partnership of Indigenous peoples, Québec, Acadians, and English-speaking Canada.
Rescind the Clarity Act.
Just settlement of Indigenous land claims without extinguishment of inherent title.
Enact the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, including the right to veto development.
Enact recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, and the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Inquiry.

FULL GENDER EQUALITY

Close the wage gap.
Guarantee universally accessible abortion and reproductive health services, and free, quality public childcare across Canada.
Protect women’s right to EI maternity coverage, and increase parental benefits.
Fund equality-seeking women’s groups, crisis centres and transition houses.
Protect 2sLGBTQi rights and end violence against women, Trans and 2sLGBTQi people.

FIGHT RACISM, SEXISM, HOMOPHOBIA, TRANSPHOBIA, ISLAMOPHOBIA

Ban racism and discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, racialization, religion, or place of origin.
Prosecute hate groups as criminal organizations.
Ban racial profiling.

WELCOME IMMIGRANTS AND REFUGEES

End scape-goating and stop deportations of immigrants and refugees.
Scrap the Safe Third Country Agreement and the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
Provide a path to citizenship for foreign and migrant workers.
Fund legal aid.

TAX THE GREEDY, NOT THE NEEDY

Double the corporate tax rate.
Restore the capital tax.
Raise the capital gains tax to 100%.
Introduce wealth and inheritance taxes on estates over $1 million.
Eliminate taxes on incomes under $40,000.
Axe the HST.
Collect deferred corporate taxes – close loopholes.
Enact progressive taxation based on ability to pay.

CURB CORPORATE POWER

Public ownership and democratic control of banks, insurance companies, pharmaceuticals, energy and natural resources, Bombardier, Air Canada, CN, and US automakers in Canada.
Repeal Deferred Prosecution Agreements.
Amend bankruptcy laws to put workers’ wages and pensions first.

END SECURITY STATE LAWS – DEFEND DEMOCRATIC RIGHTS

Repeal undemocratic “anti-terrorism” legislation.
Abolish secret detention without trial, national security certificates, and the no-fly list.
Abolish CSIS and the Communications Security Establishment.
Defend the right to dissent.
Put police and RCMP under civilian control.
Ban possession of handguns.

MAKE EVERY VOTE COUNT

Enact Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

a matter of opinion, really