Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does iOS 13 add handoff for iTunes? Or are the technological advancements necessary to have something start playing on your phone then continue playing on your computer still far off in the distant future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

withak posted:

Does iOS 13 add handoff for iTunes? Or are the technological advancements necessary to have something start playing on your phone then continue playing on your computer still far off in the distant future?

Annoying because rdio has this like 10 years ago.

RIP Rdio :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I've only used android phones since 2012 and reading this thread is kind of surreal. Do you guys really get a new phone every other update cycle?

I am actually really enjoying the iPhone. I just don't know if could justify paying more than $400 for a cell phone honestly.

I got a refurbished iPhone 8 and the battery is only at 88% health so I'll probably have to replace it in about a year. Would I just go to the apple store and have them put in a new one? How much does it cost? Like $60?

Also here's a picture of my Corgi dog I took with the iPhone 8 camera.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How did Rdio even die? It predated Apple and had a much better app than Spotify. Certainly there was venture capital out there they could have tapped.

I remember they tried to sell movies and TV shows and that went nowhere and they ended up refunding everyone who bought anything. That couldn't have helped their bottom line.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've only used android phones since 2012 and reading this thread is kind of surreal. Do you guys really get a new phone every other update cycle?

Is every other cycle more or less frequent compared to an Android user?

I've got 4 people on my plan so we'll probably be getting 3 phones this year, but I'm keeping mine until 2020. We manage to keep phones between 2 and 3 years.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 14, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Rdio was always second to Spotify. I remember when Rdio launched it had waaaaay less music than any other service had. Then Apple came along and just forcibly made Rdio third place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is there anybody pulling the "woah do people really like new gadgets" boomer routine in good faith these days

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Krispy Wafer posted:

How did Rdio even die? It predated Apple and had a much better app than Spotify. Certainly there was venture capital out there they could have tapped.

I remember they tried to sell movies and TV shows and that went nowhere and they ended up refunding everyone who bought anything. That couldn't have helped their bottom line.

Three words: Spotify free tier

The verge had a good write up https://www.theverge.com/2015/11/17/9750890/rdio-shutdown-pandora

Venture capitalists want crazy insane growth like Spotify not a sensible profit driven model like rdio.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc labels wouldn't put everything up on streaming services for a reasonable amount of money until around the time apple music/spotify launched, so it probably had more to do with licensing than technical capabilities. Hell, looking at the way video streaming is going, it could all balkanize and go to poo poo again and we'll be back to pirating MP3's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Three words: Spotify free tier

The verge had a good write up https://www.theverge.com/2015/11/17/9750890/rdio-shutdown-pandora

Venture capitalists want crazy insane growth like Spotify not a sensible profit driven model like rdio.

I was going to comment on the complete lack of marketing and that article mentions that as part of their downfall. I'd tell people how awesome Rdio was and they'd just give me a puzzled look. Then Spotify appeared and sucked all the air out of the room.

Spotify's app back then was rear end. If you put them side by side Rdio wins every time even with fewer songs in their catalog. But then you actually have to market those advantages.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

64bit_Dophins posted:

I am actually really enjoying the iPhone. I just don't know if could justify paying more than $400 for a cell phone honestly.

I got a refurbished iPhone 8 and the battery is only at 88% health so I'll probably have to replace it in about a year. Would I just go to the apple store and have them put in a new one? How much does it cost? Like $60?

I feel like the trend to upgrade every year started waning thin around the iPhone 7 or so. Diminishing returns and all that. We're running out of things to improve in a little handheld computerphonething that sound enticing enough to drown out the upgrade cost.

If you bought it refurbished from Apple, it really should've come with a brand new battery, and you're entitled to that! They'd surely replace it for free. Refurbished from any other source doesn't count, though. Battery replacement for an iPhone 8 is $50, and it is done in-store. You can either walk in or make an appointment for faster service.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rdio was too pure for this world.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Your dog being upside down really bothered me so here

Edit: make sure you make an appointment. You used to be and to just walk in and wait for an open slot or even get helped right away but those days are long gone. If you don’t have an appointment then they’re just going to ask you to go to one of the macs on display and register for one.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 14, 2019

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

enojy posted:

I feel like the trend to upgrade every year started waning thin around the iPhone 7 or so. Diminishing returns and all that. We're running out of things to improve in a little handheld computerphonething that sound enticing enough to drown out the upgrade cost.

If you bought it refurbished from Apple, it really should've come with a brand new battery, and you're entitled to that! They'd surely replace it for free. Refurbished from any other source doesn't count, though. Battery replacement for an iPhone 8 is $50, and it is done in-store. You can either walk in or make an appointment for faster service.

Thanks for the info. I got it from an eBay reseller bc it was a lot less expensive. $50 isn't bad - I guess I'll just use this thing until the battery life starts to get on my nerves and then I'll get a replacement.

Also thanks for rotating the image lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Good Dog

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

iPhones hold their value really well so when you see people upgrading every year and they aren't on the upgrade plan, they're usually selling their old phone for ~80% of the purchase price and paying a hundred or two out of pocket to upgrade.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

64bit_Dophins posted:

You literally come from the realm of android power users who change over their ‘daily drivers’ to the new flagship phone from whatever company every 4-6 months. Every other update cycle was always the standard back home for years, as that’s how long the carriers would lock you into a contract for then you could renew with a new phone every 2 years.

This time I went from my iPhone 6 to the XR which was about 4 1/2 years.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Krispy Wafer posted:

They didn’t. They got bought by Pandora, who in turn used those licenses for the Pandora Premium offering.

Rdio was excellent.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

XBenedict posted:

They didn’t. They got bought by Pandora, who in turn used those licenses for the Pandora Premium offering.

Rdio was excellent.

And then Pandora was bought by SiriusXM, who is putting all the Pandora Plus stations into their programming.

Pandora isn't long for this world.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 14, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just got the Mujjo leather case for the XR and the buttons are leather wrapped and feel like mushy poo poo.

I wish other companies would do the separate material for the buttons like Apple does on their leather cases.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Did Spotify ever copy the Pandora thing of you can like songs and then it builds stations based on those liked songs? I know other apps tried to do it but for some reason none could quite touch how well Pandora seemed to do it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

EL BROMANCE posted:

You literally come from the realm of android power users who change over their ‘daily drivers’ to the new flagship phone from whatever company every 4-6 months. Every other update cycle was always the standard back home for years, as that’s how long the carriers would lock you into a contract for then you could renew with a new phone every 2 years.

This time I went from my iPhone 6 to the XR which was about 4 1/2 years.

Yeah I guess that's true for a ton of Android users. I stopped caring about phone stuff for a few years and just bought cheap used android phones.

Glad I finally found the light.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Disappointing Pie posted:

Did Spotify ever copy the Pandora thing of you can like songs and then it builds stations based on those liked songs? I know other apps tried to do it but for some reason none could quite touch how well Pandora seemed to do it.

Google play music and spotify both have this feature and imo it's pretty good. I pretty much only use the spotify radio features on long road trips but it's for sure worth trying out since I can't gaurentee you'll enjoy it as much as Pandora.

Spotify has come a long way and there's still a bunch of music missing from it but I still find that it's worth the $10/month and I haven't found a reasonable alternative.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apple Music does it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Apple Music does it.

lol AM’s guided radio stations are such garbage

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Spotify just started allowing family plans to restrict explicit lyrics so for 24 hours all my 14 year old could listen to were Adele and Bruno Mars songs before she finally asked me what was wrong. Now it's back to n-word this and bitches that.

The Spotify family plan is boss and I hope they never take it away.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spotify and Apple need to get their poo poo together and allow Spotify streaming on the Apple Watch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have an iphone 6 with a piddly 16gb of space on it that is at 81% battery health (browsing forums seems to make the battery drop digits in real time), i feel like 8, XR or 11 would all be major upgrades but I'm not sure what makes the most sense. i tend to hold on to phones for way longer than most people because i'm a poor. i assume the 8 will lose support in 2-3 years? in terms of the current pricing going on, would the XR be the right compromise between price and lifespan?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you hold onto phones that long go with the 11. The price difference isn’t that huge and you’ll get an extra year out of it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
get a clean 8 with decent battery cycles off Swappa for @$350 and worry about it again in 2 years.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 14, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The 7th Guest posted:

i have an iphone 6 with a piddly 16gb of space on it that is at 81% battery health (browsing forums seems to make the battery drop digits in real time), i feel like 8, XR or 11 would all be major upgrades but I'm not sure what makes the most sense. i tend to hold on to phones for way longer than most people because i'm a poor. i assume the 8 will lose support in 2-3 years? in terms of the current pricing going on, would the XR be the right compromise between price and lifespan?

Ah dude you so could’ve had a fresh battery installed for free by Apple on the 6, but I think that has expired now.

I love my XR and don’t regret that choice one bit, also went from a 6. Biiiiig upgrade, the moment I opened Maps it felt like a different world.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Don't get an 8. Embrace the gestures, lose the home button.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/dNbYa0B.mp4

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Just got the Mujjo leather case for the XR and the buttons are leather wrapped and feel like mushy poo poo.

I wish other companies would do the separate material for the buttons like Apple does on their leather cases.
Yeah I hate that. I’ve dealt with it before by using a little piece of paper as a shim and/or cutting the case material, like along the long edges of the button cutout, so it’s easier to press.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Spotify just started allowing family plans to restrict explicit lyrics so for 24 hours all my 14 year old could listen to were Adele and Bruno Mars songs before she finally asked me what was wrong. Now it's back to n-word this and bitches that.

The Spotify family plan is boss and I hope they never take it away.
Speaking of the family plan, I saw this a few days ago:
https://www.cnet.com/news/spotify-wants-to-know-where-you-live-and-will-be-checking-in/

...it’s not as bad as the headline states cause it sounds like you can just enter your address rather than enabling location services...but if they were to get really anal/stupid about it you could see where this is going.

The 7th Guest posted:

I would say refurb XR as a compromise between price and newness, but the cameras/night mode are a big deal in the 11's favor if you shoot pictures at all. Also better battery life and supposed stronger glass and what not. The U1 has some interesting possibilities too.

That said I wouldn’t be afraid of the 8 losing support any time soon, considering they just updated the cheap iPad with a generation older chip than the 8. There are some little things UI wise that feel more tailored to the home buttonless iPhones though (I have one particular annoyance), so while it might still be supported for a while, it probably won’t be as nice as the newer types going forward.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

owns

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Pro case.

Also, within two days of using a no-home button iPhone you will think that older iPhones with them were made for Neanderthals

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Where did you find that left picture preview of Apple’s 2020 iPhone?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

rage-saq posted:

Pro case.

Also, within two days of using a no-home button iPhone you will think that older iPhones with them were made for Neanderthals

The gestures are very good and I definitely missed them when I test drove an iPhone XS for a week. Still not sold on Face ID though

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got my 11 case today. Hardly ever palmed a XR in person, but this size definitely seems good for me. I like my 7+ size but the 11 seems less unwieldy.

Also got some puck wireless chargers for the bed and some desktop stand wireless chargers for both my and my wife’s desk.

If anyone is looking for a good wireless charger, amazon renewed has the newest Anker ones for like $6 off $30ish.

No idea if they work yet, but they still came in the original box and seemed basically like new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

They have Discover Weekly and Release Radar which have insanely high hit rates on finding you good poo poo ime