Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

"I'm gonna this funeral UPSIDE-DOWN!!" Cracks me up every time.

I never noticed that Nadine has a little figure of herself.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

James who? :confused:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This must be where pies go when they die!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The priest was on Seaquest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So Hawk is supposed to be Blackfoot? Isn't that a bit far east for where Twin Peaks is set?

e: the wiki says he's Nez Perce, which makes more sense

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 16, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He just knows everything about every First Nations culture, as tv leads me to believe all American Indians do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love how Bobby's face falls like he kinda realizes how loving stupid he sounds when he screams,"I'M GONNA TURN THE FUNERAL UPSIDE DOWN!" at his dad in a quiet room.

Continuing with my trend of enjoying the relationship between Cooper and the police, Harry's not getting mad at Coop saying he doesn't remember who murdered Laura Palmer is so great, he's all,"Ahhh darn it that would have been useful information, oh well!" and continues on. The reveal later in the episode that there are those in the town well aware for generations that there is a darkness about Twin Peaks really puts things into a fresh context and makes their reactions/credulity when it comes to Cooper's antics make so much sense. They know there is far more out there than what appears on the surface and they're no strangers to weirdness, if anything they're phenomenally grateful that the FBI sent somebody like Cooper as opposed to, for example, Albert, who immediately clashes (for now) with the sensibilities of the town.

Edit: I have always found the open mocking of Leland's display at the funeral surprising though, I can see it happening in a small town like that, it just shocks me how completely open and unhidden away that kind of nasty humor is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The slow-mo shot of the fist-fight at the funeral strikes me as either really fortuitous or the result of a lot of takes until it came out just right. I love how it manages to catch little fleeting flashes of visuals that tell you what's going on and who's involved — James' forehead, Ed's bandage, Bobby's shouting face. They all pop out like a slideshow of iconic images.

Another thing that struck me about the show at this early stage is how blatantly soap-opera-y it is. Particularly all the stuff between Harry/Josie/Catherine, the peeping at doors, the love triangles, the whispered plaintive conversations toward the camera about the machinations about the mill. When Twin Peaks was first on the air I was just a little too young to grok it (and we didn't get whatever channel it aired on), but I got the impression that it was another weird boring soap for old people, and I had no idea there was any of this mysticism element to it at all — and the show didn't seem to be in any hurry to disabuse me or anyone else of that idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that there is a literal terrible soap opera on television within the show as well, with the guy writing his last will and testament to his daughter.... and his other daughter, her evil twin. :allears:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Man, this episode has some great reactions in it.
Cooper: "Harry, let me tell you about the dream I had last night."
Truman: "Tibet?"

And Albert savage as always: "Now, I don’t expect you to understand these tests. I’m not a cruel man.“

It's odd that Cooper says: "Bob vowed to kill again, so Mike shot him." He seems to be describing the International Pilot's version of that scene rather than the TV version. Did they originally intend to show the entire sequence in the show?

Regarding the Return's depiction of magic as electricity, I found Cooper's description of dreams very interesting: "Acetylcholine neurons fire high-voltage impulses into the forebrain. These impulses become pictures, the pictures become dreams. But no one knows why we choose these particular pictures." In that sense, Leland watching a soap about identical twins before Maddy walks in is kind of like Cooper's dream. Both are images created via electricity. Both seem random, but can easily be imbued with prophetic meaning.

El Jeffe posted:

I never noticed that Nadine has a little figure of herself.

That's crazy. Me neither. :aaa:

Something I never noticed: Josie claiming she doesn't understand the meaning of the two accounting books is a hint that she might be deceiving Truman.

Rageaholic posted:

This must be where pies go when they die!

Kind of a morbid thing to say right after a funeral.

Jerusalem posted:

I love how Bobby's face falls like he kinda realizes how loving stupid he sounds when he screams,"I'M GONNA TURN THE FUNERAL UPSIDE DOWN!" at his dad in a quiet room.

Yeah, just based on that reaction, you can instantly tell Major Briggs has hit the nail on the head. Bobby is genuinely scared of the funeral.

Rageaholic, could I get a screencap of the intersection at 31:02, please?

And More fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 16, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And More posted:

the two accounting books
or the White and Black Ledger, as they're known around these parts

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Audrey is literally warming her loins in the fire when she’s talking to Coop.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kyle MacLachlan was absolutely right in shutting down the Coop-Audrey romance before it got too weird (it still got a little weird).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think it helps that Sherilyn Fenn was very clearly in her 20s and not a teenager.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My Lovely Horse posted:

or the White and Black Ledger, as they're known around these parts

:golfclap:

wa27 posted:

Kyle MacLachlan was absolutely right in shutting down the Coop-Audrey romance before it got too weird (it still got a little weird).

I like that he's using her obvious infatuation with him as a distraction tactic: "Nice perfume, please sign this."

edit: Btw, there is now a patch out for Deadly Premonition on Switch making it officially playable. There is obviously still room for improvement, but at least it's now one of the better versions you can buy (because it's not broken).

And More fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 17, 2019

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

And More posted:

edit: Btw, there is now a patch out for Deadly Premonition on Switch making it officially playable. There is obviously still room for improvement, but at least it's now one of the better versions you can buy (because it's not broken).

It is amazing that they fixed it so quickly but didn't notice the problems in the first place.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I vaguely recall reading one time that the original plan for the show was that Twin Peaks would be a college town and the kids would be college aged, which would account for the planned Cooper-Audrey pairing, but this got changed fairly late in the planning process. is there any truth to that or am I making that up?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

romanowski posted:

I vaguely recall reading one time that the original plan for the show was that Twin Peaks would be a college town and the kids would be college aged, which would account for the planned Cooper-Audrey pairing, but this got changed fairly late in the planning process. is there any truth to that or am I making that up?

That's still creepy but I guess it would've read as less so back in the early 90s.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wasn't the actual reason that LFB was dating Kyle and LFB didn't want Kyle to do fakey panky with Audrey

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

moist turtleneck posted:

Wasn't the actual reason that LFB was dating Kyle and LFB didn't want Kyle to do fakey panky with Audrey

yeah this what i thought too, which is way more hilarious.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
RIP audrey, banged a dude with a hair piece and became a terrorist

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah that's my understanding as well.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wait gently caress am I given to be understanding that Deadly Premonition is actual TP content? Or merely refers to the universe?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It just has lots of references

Why would you think it was actual TP content, what

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Back in '92 this is what Fenn had to say:

quote:

"Kyle didn´t want it to continue. He thought Audrey was too young for Dale; and then they brought in an even younger girl!"

"I think Kyle blew it, because Dale and Audrey were so great together," Fenn says.

"When I complained, David Lynch asked me if I was falling in love with Kyle. I says, 'No! Of course not! But Audrey´s in love with Dale Cooper!

Of course it wouldn't be cool of her to point fingers at Boyle, so take that as you will. I have always thought it's a little too convenient to blame LFB for it. Everyone kinda loves to hate her for some reason.

Regardless of the reason, having the moral, upstanding FBI agent date a high school girl would have been a pretty bad idea.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

It just has lots of references

Why would you think it was actual TP content, what

Just caught up backwards through the conversation. I thought I missed a fuckin TP game on Switch somehow.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

pyrotek posted:

It is amazing that they fixed it so quickly but didn't notice the problems in the first place.

They probably pushed it out the door so it would be released right after the announcement.

wa27 posted:

Regardless of the reason, having the moral, upstanding FBI agent date a high school girl would have been a pretty bad idea.

Then again, just about everyone except Pete and Hawk is having some sort of affair in this show. Even Cooper ends up getting one added to his backstory.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

I think it helps that Sherilyn Fenn was very clearly in her 20s and not a teenager.

All of them are not even remotely high school aged, right? They all seem mid-20s.

I haven’t rewatched this show in a good long time, and wanted to before I see season 3 so I’m along for this ride. I forgot how just plain weird this show is. It’s great!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

graventy posted:

All of them are not even remotely high school aged, right? They all seem mid-20s.

They were all around 20-25, which isn't unusual for actors playing high school students, but it's more that they didn't really act like high school students. The show did sort of acknowledge it: in one episode Bobby is scheming with Shelly about Leo and he says "I can't keep telling my parents I'm sleeping over with Mike every night!"

And Heather Graham is about five years younger than Sherilyn Fenn. She's actually younger than all the "teen" actors except Boyle.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

When I think about it, I realize that Cooper dating Audrey would have hammered the theme of Cooper being wrong about things in a way more clear. A lot of his flaws are on display there especially as it relates to him having dreams where he gets kissed by a dead high school girl. Without that, 25 years later, the idea that Cooper is going about things in a sorta wrong way isn't as clear.

I don't really think Cooper is supposed to be a stand in for Virtue, so I don't get why him dating a high schooler would have been "creepy" unless the show was trying to say that was okay and good. It's creepy that Leland rapes and kills his daughter, I think. I also think that's the point.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 22, 2019

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

mdemone posted:

Just caught up backwards through the conversation. I thought I missed a fuckin TP game on Switch somehow.

Another remaster of a game inspired by Twin Peaks comes out in a few days.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Another remaster of a game inspired by Twin Peaks comes out in a few days.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

and that's a real mood match imo. Coffee and pie references are good and cool, as are recorders and agents of dapper manner...but the whole world is a dream? that's the real stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/ericallenhatch/status/1174196382405726209

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Peacoffee posted:

I don't really think Cooper is supposed to be a stand in for Virtue, so I don't get why him dating a high schooler would have been "creepy" unless the show was trying to say that was okay and good.
It never struck me as they were setting up for this to be his one big character flaw. I think it really was supposed to be a happy thing that delighted viewers when they finally got together. The show was downplaying the "high schoolers" thing from the start, and Fenn was their popular sexy star that was in all the magazines.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, are we just done with spoiler tags?

wa27 posted:

It never struck me as they were setting up for this to be his one big character flaw. I think it really was supposed to be a happy thing that delighted viewers when they finally got together. The show was downplaying the "high schoolers" thing from the start, and Fenn was their popular sexy star that was in all the magazines.

And I mean, she's nearly 18, right folks? Right?

And More fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 22, 2019

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Audrey is 18 at the time of the show. Not that that's much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Sorry all, I totally hosed up on that. I'm even one of the people that suggested using them to start :( I fixed the text for what good it’ll do now.

Also maybe edit quotes of to save some others (and myself of shame)

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 22, 2019