Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

You dont want to see an angry and confused Andrew Scheer waving a giant spiked dildo around in the air yelling about the evils of sex and how the Liberal party is the party of lust?

e: I can just picture him in my head saying "Why cant he reproduce via spores like the rest of us?" and its undeniably funny.

Dude has like 7 kids, don't think he's talking about evils of sex. Trudeau only has 3 kids. Scheer should be tellin him those are rookie numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Oh god of course he's probably some kind of quiverfull werido too isn't he.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Dude has like 7 kids, don't think he's talking about evils of sex. Trudeau only has 3 kids. Scheer should be tellin him those are rookie numbers.

I thought I mentioned spores.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lassitude posted:

Oh god of course he's probably some kind of quiverfull werido too isn't he.

Well, he's Catholic

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

He's also cool with candidates who've said hateful things in the past, and looked confused when questioned about dropping someone for staying on-brand.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Scheer is also cool with tax credits for putting your kid in a private school.

Yes, all five of his children go to private school, why do you ask?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCKatie/status/1173105831660802048?s=19

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"NEW FROM ME: sky is blue"

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xtal posted:

"NEW FROM ME: sky is blue"

I guess the tories learned a thing or two from Kellie Leitch and Chris Alexander.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
If anybody is in need of a laugh during election hell, follow along with the photos in this amazing CBC piece:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/steven-fletcher-conservative-signs-1.5284215

The story is pretty boring: Steven Fletcher, an rear end in a top hat so well known that he was demoted by Harper and kicked out of the party by Pallister, has been accepted with open arms by Bernier. The thing is, Fletcher had a cache of signs but he assumed he would remain a PC of some stripe so he's taken to just painting them over, which really adds a level of professionalism to his PPC campaign. The signs also all say "re-elect" on them even though he's in a newly zoned riding so in many areas he's NOT the incumbent but that doesn't seem to be a big deal to him or his supporters, one of whom appears in an amazing photo at the bottom of the article without explanation as to WHY he appears as he does (I'm thinking it's because he considers Fletcher "a man of integrity").

Just follow along with the photos for laughs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:thunk:

Something tells me he’d do that even if they didn’t, he’d just be very quiet about it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

If anybody is in need of a laugh during election hell, follow along with the photos in this amazing CBC piece:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/steven-fletcher-conservative-signs-1.5284215

The story is pretty boring: Steven Fletcher, an rear end in a top hat so well known that he was demoted by Harper and kicked out of the party by Pallister, has been accepted with open arms by Bernier. The thing is, Fletcher had a cache of signs but he assumed he would remain a PC of some stripe so he's taken to just painting them over, which really adds a level of professionalism to his PPC campaign. The signs also all say "re-elect" on them even though he's in a newly zoned riding so in many areas he's NOT the incumbent but that doesn't seem to be a big deal to him or his supporters, one of whom appears in an amazing photo at the bottom of the article without explanation as to WHY he appears as he does (I'm thinking it's because he considers Fletcher "a man of integrity").

1. lol

2. "The signage says re-elect Steven Fletcher and that is sort of disturbing and deceptive because Steven Fletcher is not the incumbent in this riding," [voter Lawrence] Sutherland said.

Disturbing!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1173032175987503104

this is gibberish????

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

Identify yourself. I'm the shoddily-added PP next to the C in his office.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

vyelkin posted:

"the Leader does not have the power to whip votes" lmao the gpc is a mess

i'm a few pages behind, so maybe this has already been said... but this has always been the Green Party's stance. it ties into the whole issue of that one guy talking up being a spearatist and May not doing much about it.

it's a nice sentiment, not whipping votes, but strikes me as naive. people are definitely going to ignore or miss the reasoning behind the party's stance and are just going to see them as ununified.

i was talking to a big GPC supporter about this last election and told them that this was going to bite the party in the rear end and well here we are.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

InfiniteZero posted:

Huh. Didn't think a PPC candidate would support a Green policy so strongly - Reduce, REUSE, Recycle.

I'm going to burn in hell for this but drat, he looks like a minor dungeon boss.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

i'm a few pages behind, so maybe this has already been said... but this has always been the Green Party's stance. it ties into the whole issue of that one guy talking up being a spearatist and May not doing much about it.

it's a nice sentiment, not whipping votes, but strikes me as naive. people are definitely going to ignore or miss the reasoning behind the party's stance and are just going to see them as ununified.

i was talking to a big GPC supporter about this last election and told them that this was going to bite the party in the rear end and well here we are.

it's something that really should be a hindrance to them becoming a major political force. No one notices when EMay is the only GPC MP, because she just votes however she wants. But if they somehow got 20 or 30 MPs elected and don't whip votes so they could never be counted on to vote one way or another on a bill, that suddenly throws a wrench into the entire political system. Especially because the Green Party often attracts wacky people with bizarre fringe beliefs. I'm picturing a vital piece of legislation failing by one vote because it didn't appeal to one Green MP's love of mangrove forests.

As you say, it's a nice sentiment designed to appeal to the kind of people who think "I want to vote for a good MP who will represent my riding" and the idea is that if you elect a good local MP then they shouldn't be bound to the dictates of a party elite. But frankly, that isn't how our campaigns actually work these days. Our parties have defined platforms and 90% of the way those platforms are spread is through media focus on the party leader. If you vote for a party and they win, you should be able to expect that the MP you elected will support the party platform you voted for.

And again, this is especially true because the Greens are often neoliberal on both environmental and non-environmental issues. So to provide just one of numerous examples, I can easily imagine a Green MP being bought by the pharmaceutical lobby to vote against national pharmacare even if the Greens ostensibly support that as a party, and there being no recourse because they weren't whipped to support the bill.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think it might be Quebecois French, but you really have to listen to tell the difference.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

InfiniteZero posted:

Fletcher is obviously a colossal shithead, but Morantz is hardly any better. Also Fletcher is not the incumbent at all, he lost in 2015 to Doug Eyolfson, before winning provincially in 2016.
Hoping Eyolfson somehow retains the riding due to the shithead vote being split between Fletcher and Morantz. The NDP got 6% of the vote there last time and will never ever win that riding, so go red.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

McGavin posted:

I think it might be Quebecois French, but you really have to listen to tell the difference.

It's french, but it's clearly an english singer singing in french.

KDSet
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, anglophone with a European French accent.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't know if it's desperation or what but the headline on today's Toronto Sun is "Liberals face extinction in election" and the story is that with all of the scandals and Trudeaus failures, the Liberals will be wiped off the electoral map with an inevitable massive Conservative majority.

Also,

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1172701548809527296

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
classy

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don't know if it's desperation or what but the headline on today's Toronto Sun is "Liberals face extinction in election" and the story is that with all of the scandals and Trudeaus failures, the Liberals will be wiped off the electoral map with an inevitable massive Conservative majority.

Also,

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1172701548809527296

It's real but it's from 2016.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2848305/alberta-oil-sands-group-apologizes-for-hot-lesbians-ad/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dash Rendar posted:

The Green Party doesn't have a stance because the Green Party isn't a party in any sense that matters. It's a bunch of independents sharing a logo and ostensibly some sort of concern for the environment, however ill defined.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

it's something that really should be a hindrance to them becoming a major political force. No one notices when EMay is the only GPC MP, because she just votes however she wants. But if they somehow got 20 or 30 MPs elected and don't whip votes so they could never be counted on to vote one way or another on a bill, that suddenly throws a wrench into the entire political system. Especially because the Green Party often attracts wacky people with bizarre fringe beliefs. I'm picturing a vital piece of legislation failing by one vote because it didn't appeal to one Green MP's love of mangrove forests.

As you say, it's a nice sentiment designed to appeal to the kind of people who think "I want to vote for a good MP who will represent my riding" and the idea is that if you elect a good local MP then they shouldn't be bound to the dictates of a party elite. But frankly, that isn't how our campaigns actually work these days. Our parties have defined platforms and 90% of the way those platforms are spread is through media focus on the party leader. If you vote for a party and they win, you should be able to expect that the MP you elected will support the party platform you voted for.

And again, this is especially true because the Greens are often neoliberal on both environmental and non-environmental issues. So to provide just one of numerous examples, I can easily imagine a Green MP being bought by the pharmaceutical lobby to vote against national pharmacare even if the Greens ostensibly support that as a party, and there being no recourse because they weren't whipped to support the bill.

Yeah the thing about local representation is that you are never going to have an individual candidate that actually shares your views 100% unless you are your local candidate, so the promise of "good, independent MPs" is one of those things that sounds nice on paper but in practice means that you are still picking from the least worst option, just on a smaller scale.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Conservatives are flanking left of the middle class tax cut

quote:

Finally, a tax cut that’s focused on you.

Justin Trudeau spent the last four years raising taxes on middle-class Canadians. Now, his plans include raising them even more if re-elected.

Conservatives know that you pay too much in taxes already.

That’s why Andrew Scheer just announced his Universal Tax Cut, which will cut income taxes for every Canadian.

The Universal Tax Cut will save the average Canadian family over $850 per year on their income taxes after a Conservative government reduces the rate of the lowest-income tax bracket.

This means cutting the tax rate on income under $47,630 from 15% to 13.75%.

More than ever, a Conservative majority victory on October 21st is crucial — because it means a much-needed tax cut for everyone.

A new Conservative government will live within its means and put more money in your pockets. Because it’s time for you to get ahead!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Better for the middle class that the Lib one

https://twitter.com/trevortombe/status/1173308464065478656?s=20

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

*not shown: the privatizing of healthcare to pay for the tax cuts

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn gently caress cutting taxes.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vintersorg posted:

Goddamn gently caress cutting taxes.

We should in fact be cutting taxes to like 0% for people under 30 grand but hey what do I know.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Increase in percentage of disposable income seems like an odd thing to measure, why not just say happiness.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

The Green Party doesn't have a stance because the Green Party isn't a party in any sense that matters. It's a bunch of independents sharing a logo and ostensibly some sort of concern for the environment, however ill defined.

The Green Party's lengthy platform gets taken at least as seriously as any other federal party's.

Seriously, arguing that party unity enables voters to have confidence that their MPs will faithfully support the agenda they campaigned on is just absurd. Yes, the reality is that most voters vote for party over candidate. Most voters barely have any clue as to what's in each party's platform, let alone whether it's consistent with their preferences and beliefs. Hell, most people have trouble holding self-consistent beliefs. So what does it matter what flavour of poo poo they end up eating when they elect an MP who votes against their party's campaign promise in spite of their leader rather than by their leader's orders?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'd say it's pretty academic as long as they have two whole MPs in the legislature. If we start to see say three, or even four people elected as members of the Green Party we'll see how it works in practice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Increase in percentage of disposable income seems like an odd thing to measure, why not just say happiness.

Happiness is also disposable

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Scheer is a loving dummy and keeps doubling down on old school righty poo poo and I hope it loses him the election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80z_91U7fOw

edit: Im the dummy and a friend shared this on FB like it was recent.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Bow down to our gods, Parliament. Show deference to our true lords and masters.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/second-alberta-man-told-to-remove-pro-oil-and-gas-shirt-during-parliament-tour-1.4594441

quote:

For the second time this month, a Calgary man was told to remove his “I love Canadian oil and gas” shirt while visiting Ottawa’s Parliament.

Chris Wollin said a security officer told him that he couldn’t wear his sweatshirt, which displayed his support for the oil and gas industry, because the Senate prohibits political messages in the building.

A similar incident earlier this month sparked national attention and an apology from Parliament security, which leaves Wollin wondering why he was told to remove his shirt.

“I’m not sure what is political about supporting our national energy sector,” he told CTV News. Wollin works in off-grid energy solutions at Simark Controls Ltd.

William Lacey, also from Calgary, was wearing the same shirt during a Senate tour over the September long weekend.

He was also told by security that he had to remove his shirt because “some people may view that as being offense.” Lacey turned his shirt inside-out and continued the tour.

Lacey was issued a formal apology and was told the incident was a mistake.

Parliamentary Protective Services did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the most recent incident, but Superintendent Guillaume Vandal wrote in an email on Sept. 5 that “personnel misinterpreted a message on the visitor's article of clothing.”

“The staff involved will be receiving operational guidance and training with respect to visitors to the Hill.”

Wollin, who was visiting Ottawa with his fiancé, is confused how security staff failed to get the message across to each of their personnel.

“You’d think with something happened so recently, they would have been briefed and it wouldn’t have been an issue,” he said. “If my shirt said ‘I love the auto industry’ or ‘I love the forestry industry’, it wouldn’t have been an issue so I’m not sure why there’s any sort of prejudice toward the oil sector.”

The Parliament of Canada's website states: "Participating in any form of demonstration inside the buildings is prohibited, including wearing items or clothing with visible political messages.”

Cody Battershill created the shirts for Canada Action, a non-profit organization that advocates for the advancement the oil and gas industry.

“You know there's a big disconnect between the security officers there and they need to get on the same page,” Battershill told CTV News.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

drat, that guy’s a real fuckin’ pill.

Edit: Like, I wasn’t touching him, so he couldn’t get mad! So why did he get mad??

Wendell fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 16, 2019

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I love how its not even being measured in whole number, just straight up ".1%"

Let's see, .1% of 40k is... uh... $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/patbonin/status/1173551049203945473

This is a cute troll - the NDP candidate in Pierre Nantel's riding is now a former Green Party of Québec leader.