Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Kikyo, event cancels, Heavy Balista, Peasant Advice, Clouding Miya Satoshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SuperKlaus posted:

Ohhh nuts I forgot she can't answer it during regroup. What are the counters to Echo Birb?

Event cancels are the biggest one. AFWTD can also help, even if it's a bit more expensive

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Every week Courts of Stone fails to be released in PDF I put on my kimono, go out into my garden, and scream at the uncaring sky.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/287024/Legend-of-the-Five-Rings-Courts-of-Stone

What amazing timing.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Every week Courts of Stone fails to be released in PDF I put on my kimono, go out into my garden, and scream at the uncaring sky.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/287024

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The deer clan seem neat, their bushi/shinobi school wins points with me because more spears. Otherwise I like the new Togashi school, as someone who liked playing courtier-monks in 4e.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

This truely is a Christmas miracle! :toot:

I am really glad it finally came out, but what is up with the excessive wait time? I know FFG says it is to help local stores, and fair play to that. A week or two is certainly reasonable.

This is of course undermined by pre-orders direct from FFG coming with extra exclusive stuff, so that certainly raises my eyebrow.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This truely is a Christmas miracle! :toot:

I am really glad it finally came out, but what is up with the excessive wait time? I know FFG says it is to help local stores, and fair play to that. A week or two is certainly reasonable.

This is of course undermined by pre-orders direct from FFG coming with extra exclusive stuff, so that certainly raises my eyebrow.

FFG in general is deeply paranoid of piracy, which I mean I get, I'm sure this is already all over the chans and all by now, but yea it's just kinda a weirdly old school 'can't pirate our books if we don't give you them!!!!' logic that they never really shook.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
When Master of the Swift Waves switches two characters' locations, the characters respectively "move in to" and "move out of" the conflict right? For Ide Trader and such purposes.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

When Master of the Swift Waves switches two characters' locations, the characters respectively "move in to" and "move out of" the conflict right? For Ide Trader and such purposes.

Correct

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Last fiction of the cycle is a doozy.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

I like how they're breaking the clans apart so each clan has legitimate reason the support both sides. I think they need to soft Sotorii a bit though, and make Daisetsu a bit less likable in the next fiction. Right now, it's hard to get on team Sotorii.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

We got some of that a couple of fictions before when we followed Shahai's POV.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Recently we had Sotorii desperately trying to do the right thing (kill himself for murdering his father) and Daisetsu literally just started mocking him and belittling him until his temper overtook him, so.

Like, that was the moment that sealed for me that Daisetsu was a shithead.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Daisetsu is a shithead. He is also a teenage boy that just lost his father, same as Sotorii. The whole thing showed that the princes are still kids, and the demands placed on them are out of reason.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
We need something to help balance the scale a little bit because being a shithead kid isn't equal to patricide. They've teased that Daisetsu is tainted and that would be a good reveal to help make his side less favorable.

I definitely need the next fiction though because I'm very curious to see what Kachiko does next.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PaybackJack posted:

Right now, it's hard to get on team Sotorii.

Dude swings in at military 10! What more do you want?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Recently we had Sotorii desperately trying to do the right thing (kill himself for murdering his father) and Daisetsu literally just started mocking him and belittling him until his temper overtook him, so.

Like, that was the moment that sealed for me that Daisetsu was a shithead.

Daisetsu: Got angry at and mocked the man who just murdered his father and had been an rear end in a top hat to Daisetsu his entire life

Sotorii: Murdered his father, constantly deflects blame for all of his past misdeeds

Yeah, basically equally lovely there. REALLY hard to decide who's the better person

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

From a Rokugani perspective, suicide was the way to atone.

Daisetsu mocked his death poem and told him he wasn’t honorable enough for suicide, in a way that didn’t really seem like he was mad about his father so much as just being a prick and deliberately provoking his brother, whom he knows is immature and hotheaded. To the extent that Shahai actually tried to convince him to stop.

Like, if Daisetsu had done nothing, his father’s murderer would be dead. And he knew it. He literally intervened to stop Sotorii from taking responsibility.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean, the theme of New L5R is "human beings can't stop letting their emotions and feelings take them into the worst decision they could make, every time, and because they're landed nobility, their gently caress ups ripple across the entire empire, and their system of conduct is strict to the point of only making all of this worse."

Which is the best theme the game could have, to be honest.

I doubt Daisetsu did this because of the taint, he did it because the person he's probably spent years secretly hating - who just killed his dad - just showed a massive weakness for him to strike back at. It's not about long term thinking. It's about being a teenager who's always had to be polite, and finally having a chance to scream "gently caress you!" at someone you despise.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I don't think Daisetsu was acting under taint in that moment, I definitely read it as him venting on his brother for killing their dad, which was the latest in a series of 'how is this gently caress up related to me?' moments.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dude swings in at military 10! What more do you want?

I'm running a Phoenix Bushi deck with him out of the first stronghold and Purity of the Spirit is great with him, but I gotta change it because I was running Air for Soul Beyond Reproach. drat, meta.

We just got the 2nd pack out here, but I'm waiting for the upcoming restrictions before I put anything new together.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
It's not really taint guys, just Fu Leng nudging the heirs a little to make the empire fall.

'Least that's my theory. Especially with the stinger of the palace's wards.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Terratina posted:

It's not really taint guys, just Fu Leng nudging the heirs a little to make the empire fall.

'Least that's my theory. Especially with the stinger of the palace's wards.

So, with the bit about the palace's wards and also the mention of her "Yogo blood," I actually wonder how much of this will play a role, how much of this is securely in the "we'll see how tournaments go and we're setting stuff up just in case," and how much is going to exist for ad-hoc explanations. They've done a great job at making it actually pretty questionable how much supernatural stuff is going on, and how much of it is just real life bullshit with the supernatural being a possible reason, which, again, is a very good thing that I like a lot. The drama is centered securely on the extremely human things happening.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
The Kickstarter for Rokucon has gone live.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PaybackJack posted:

I'm running a Phoenix Bushi deck with him out of the first stronghold and Purity of the Spirit is great with him, but I gotta change it because I was running Air for Soul Beyond Reproach. drat, meta.

That's a sweet idea. I'm trying him in a Scorpion Soul / Noble Sac where I'm hoping his power will have the pleasant side effect of making sure dishonor stings when the opponent only has low glory scores.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

The question is, will there be a ball pit?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

wargames posted:

The question is, will there be a ball pit?

Of course not, ball pits are decadent western trash.

There will, however, be a rock garden, consisting of a wading pool filled with gray ping pong balls.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I don't think it's even a question of team good prince vs team bad prince. If Shoju is actually set on following the decree laid out by the Emperor and in Toturi's hand, it'd take some weird and kinda forced writing to get a big ol' fight and conflict breaking out.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Robodog posted:

I don't think it's even a question of team good prince vs team bad prince. If Shoju is actually set on following the decree laid out by the Emperor and in Toturi's hand, it'd take some weird and kinda forced writing to get a big ol' fight and conflict breaking out.

That's... that's not even remotely true. Even if the Scorpion and Lion are together on it, if the Phoenix, Crane, and Unicorn all side with the other prince, probably with the Crab and Dragon on the fence, it's dead simple for the other to claim the edict is a forgery, and just the thought of getting the Scorpion out of power is enough to potentially make that happen. Succession wars have been built on FAR less.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Personally I'd like to see more longevity and save cards in Lion, building off the subtheme seen in For Greater Glory, Steadfast Samurai, Student of War, and some others. A "rising tide" theme, an "inevitable hammer of the Emperor" thing just like the flavor text for WH40K's Imperial Guard, would allow them a "swarm" niche distinct from that the pig dog Unicorn stole and is a very good fit for the Clan that's supposed to have monster huge armies.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey handful of other L5R card players, you've probably already heard the news, but here it is again in POG Something Awful post form: new Restricted List!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/9/26/the-royal-decree/

On the List:
Consumed by Five Fires
Miya Satoshi
Gateway to Meido
Cunning Magistrate
Daidoji Uji

OFF the List (!):
Niten Master
Feast or Famine

ERRATA'D (!!):
Feast or Famine (now moves 1 fate from an enemy character to any of your characters instead of all fate from an enemy to one of yours without fate)

Like every other peanut-brained member of the peanut gallery I Have Opinions about these moves, but I'll table them for what I consider the really interesting part of this update: The Imperial Law. FFG will now regularly release a short document compiling all the game's restrictions and errata for quick reference at the table. This is major in my eyes because it clearly signals an increased willingness to use errata to balance this game - a supposition supported by the fact something was just errata'd to accompany the Law's first release. We all know the top issue with errata in a physical card game is how it screws with table play because cards no longer do what they say they do. The Law is clearly meant to ameliorate this problem. I thus expect more errata in the future. Opinions?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm a big fan of errata and willing to crack your game open and explore what players like and don't like. I've said it a million times that I wish they would restrict by faction and by combo rather than by individual card because it restricts other clans from taking advantage of a card that's broken wholly in one combo. Also it seems like the casual whiners that hated the Crab 'Meido Loop' got their wish because there was no reason for them to put that card on the list other than to appease them. The competitive scene had already dismissed it, figured out how to play around it, and moved on.

On that note, I AM starting to slide more into the mentality of free the roles. While I like the idea that players need to make choices about which cards they want to run based on the roles, the actual choosing of the roles is proving to be not only limited, but biased based on testers leaking info about hot new cards.

I was also thinking that having a 'live' influence modifier for clans could be an interesting balance mechanism. FFG starts tracking clan wins at tournaments then hands gives clans a handicap based on their standing. Top clan gets -2, the next gets -1, the 3 in the middle receive no penalty, while the bottom 2 get +1 and +2 respectively. This would be on top of whatever role you choose so that could help balance things a bit or at least ensure that whoever is top for one month, might not be able to stay there the next due to a shift in influence values. In order to keep things balanced for Worlds so nobody tries to abuse the system by losing a bunch to get extra influence, they don't announce the period or formula for deciding the balance until the month before.

Overall, I like the new list. I'm glad that Scorpion wasn't completely gutted before World's. Though losing our Magistrate hurts quite a bit.

Satoshi getting put on the list feels like a long time coming. Uji isn't particularly surprising as a lot of clans have no answer to him. Meido is purely to shut up the whiners that refused to change how they played to counter the loop and pretty much irrelevant.

I saw a lot of deck lists running Consumed by the Five Fires and didn't really get it until I watched a replay where a guy loaded up a unit with fate and then got hit with Embrace the void and Consumed. I think it's still a pretty janky card as it's very reactive, but given that Phoenix can toss it in the discard pile and toolbox it if they need it, I guess it's worth listing.

Feast of Famine change is solid. Saying that Air and Earth aren't the best roles is a bit silly given how strong EBS is and how good Air is for Scorpion/Crane.

Dragon getting Niten Master was definitely a pity move. I still don't think Dragon is terrible but they haven't been getting anything exciting until maybe their new clan pack.

Also we picked up the World's Championship deck and if you like the full art promos in this game I'd call it a must have. Not only does it have a bunch of stuff we haven't gotten in full art form yet, but the coloring in it is super bright and vivid. There were some miscuts and the templating was off center on some cards but the colors are wild. Pro purchase.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 29, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hm, do you think a couple influence points would shift winrates enough?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Hm, do you think a couple influence points would shift winrates enough?

Definitely could,

Scorp Keeper of air deck that won Bologna was running:

2 Seeker of Knowledge
1 All and Nothing
3 Display of Power

Losing two influence there means that All or Nothing probably gets cut, and doesn't really feel an effect of it

His opponent playing Lion would lose something from here, maybe trade an Edict for a Censure and not miss a beat, who knows.

2 Bayushi Collector 2
2 Shosuro Miyako 4
1 Yogo Kikuyo 2
3 Forged Edict 6
2 Calling in Favors 4

So that looks good, the point is really that the strongest clans already have lots of good cards to choose from to get there and losing a key card might hurt but won't cripple the deck.While I think the lower tier clans could definitely access to more of the good cards that they don't have in clan.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, he was using Support of the Scorpion? Every time I craft a deck I get tempted to use a Support but losing Keeper/Seeker and Elemental cards and potential in-game economic benefit always seems too steep a price.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Wow, he was using Support of the Scorpion? Every time I craft a deck I get tempted to use a Support but losing Keeper/Seeker and Elemental cards and potential in-game economic benefit always seems too steep a price.

Bologna Second Place Lion Deck by Marios Bounakis
    Yōjin no Shiro (Core)

Support of the Scorpion

Dishonorable Assault (Bonds of Blood)
    Entrenched Position (Core)
    Manicured Garden (Core)
    Midnight Revels (Children of the Empire)
    Shameful Display (Core)

Dynasty(40)
    Character (33)
    2 Obstinate Recruit (Core)
    3 Ikoma Prodigy (Core)
    3 Matsu Berserker (Core)
    2 Tactician's Apprentice (All and Nothing)
    2 Miya Mystic (Core)
    2 Venerable Historian (Core)
    1 Akodo Zentarō (For the Empire)
    3 Ikoma Ikehata (The Fires Within)
    1 Implacable Magistrate (The Chrysanthemum Throne)
    3 Kitsu Spiritcaller (Core)
    3 Lion's Pride Brawler (Core)
    3 Akodo Kaede (Bonds of Blood)
    1 Honored General (Core)
    3 Akodo Toturi (Core)
    1 Ikoma Ujiaki (For Honor and Glory)

Holding (7)
    3 Favorable Ground (Core)
    3 Imperial Storehouse (Core)
    1 The Imperial Palace (The Chrysanthemum Throne)

Conflict (41)
    Attachment (7)
    3 Ornate Fan (Core)
    2 Cloud the Mind (Core)
    2 Finger of Jade (Tears of Amaterasu)

Character (9)
    2 Ageless Crone (Into the Forbidden City)
    2 Bayushi Collector (Underhand of the Emperor)
    2 Goblin Sneak (Tears of Amaterasu)
    2 Shosuro Miyako (Justice for Satsume)
    1 Yogo Kikuyo (Disciples of the Void)

Event (25)
    2 A Legion of One (Meditations on the Ephemeral)
    1 Assassination (Core)
    2 Banzai! (Core)
    1 Censure (Into the Forbidden City)
    3 Court Games (Core)
    3 For Shame! (Core)
    3 Forged Edict (Core)
    3 Ready for Battle (Core)
    2 Way of the Lion (Core)
    2 Calling in Favors (Core)
    1 Peasant's Advice (Underhand of the Emperor)
    2 Strength in Numbers (Core)

It's a very interesting deck that I have no concept of how you would actually play. At a glance it seems like it uses dishonoring effects to pressure it's opponent into a lower honor state and I would guess it might bid low in the early rounds as well.

They announced the World's Championship prize pool as well and it's pretty loving phenomenal.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/10/4/2019-winter-court-world-championship/

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 4, 2019

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
u can safely ignore marios.deks

the worlds prizes are super lit and HNGGG and i super wish i was going

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Marios plays a pressure oriented style where the Scorpion cards provide answers to cards that mess with Lion. His cards are there to solve problems and most of the dishonour effects are to power For Shame. He’s looking for high average value from all his cards.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

New fic is out. Do check out the file name.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Very interesting fiction. They've done a really nice job of playing off the dynamic that the Scorpion have of being the most loyal and disloyal clan. While I dislike the idea that Kachiko is doing everything as a selfish grab for power, the idea of a woman wanting to break free of the shackles of a patriarchal system isn't unsympathetic. That she would throw a whole system into chaos in order to be able to be free of the power structure that has forced her and other women into certain roles is the kind of stuff that revolutionary narratives are built on. It's some pretty good stuff going on, and the narrative has been going in a very different path than I initially expected but not in an unsatisfying way. The twists and turns haven't been over-thought so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
contrasting viewpoint: kachiko is dumb as bricks