Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

Okay,thank you all very much. I just thought I was being crazy. I don't really feel anything about how dicey the c-section got. I feel like I should because that could've went very poorly but I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Doctor Malaver posted:

So he napped well until he was 6 weeks old and then started requiring carrying?

She sometimes falls asleep on her own if it's late at night. Other times we have to carry her and she falls asleep and we put her to bed. We try that a lot during day too but the result is that she wakes up in 5 minutes.

I heard so many times that we're so lucky to have peaceful nights, that I'm reluctant about sleep during day. If she starts sleeping from 3 to 4 pm, maybe she'll be awake from 3 to 4 am.

I don't even know what I'm asking about. Some magic trick to keep the baby awake but occupied during the day? The thought of weeks/months/years of entertaining and carrying the baby for ~14 hours a day is making me depressed. How do people decide to have a second child, or more?

Sorry for the rant. I'm aware that we have it better than many parents.

Hey, sorry you are having a rough time. Our kid was the same for naps the first few months. It sucked. She started being able to take some naps in the crib after 3 months and it is a game changer. That's not much help before then though. Have you tried wearing him in a carrier? It's still a hassle but you have both hands free. We love our beco.

It won't be years. I promise. It will get better. It's much easier to occupy babies who have an interest in the world around them. Before they sort of wake up to the world around them, they just want comfort. It's difficult. Sending my love.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

Okay,thank you all very much. I just thought I was being crazy. I don't really feel anything about how dicey the c-section got. I feel like I should because that could've went very poorly but I don't.

It might hit you later on, or it may never affect you. There’s no correct way to feel when something like that happens. I also hemorrhaged after birth and felt like I was fading, I thought I was going to die. In the moment it was surreal and actually kind of peaceful, but after it was over I didn’t really think much besides “good thing we have modern medicine.” I haven’t really felt much beyond that since.

Just give yourself time to mentally and physically recover. The first few weeks are full of extremely intense emotions. Allow yourself to feel whatever you want, and ask for support if you need it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

boquiabierta posted:

Looking for advice on whether I should find out the baby's sex.

I have a very strong preference for a girl. If it's a girl I think I will be thrilled, and if it's a boy I'm afraid I will be terribly disappointed. I don't want to feel this way; it doesn't jive with my politics or feminism, but I can't help it. I know what genitalia my baby has does not determine what kind of person they'll be, what they can and can't do in life, or even their gender identity. I still want a girl with all my heart.

I was planning on NOT finding out, assuming that after the baby is born and in my arms I won't care what genitalia it has, and will just love it no matter what. But what if I am upset and disappointed in the delivery room? Is it better to process those feelings now? But then what if I spend the rest of the pregnancy disappointed and sad.

I'm 15 weeks, by the way, so I still have a while to think about this before the 20 week ultrasound. Help!

I know this was a few weeks ago, but my Wife and I went through a similar deal. My Wife's father died when she was young, she was raised by her mother, she has a twin sister, an older and a younger sister. My Wife literally grew up only around women. I think she was bummed at first when we found out we were having a Boy. But I told her like "Hey we can make sure that he's an awesome dude who respects women. Lets look at the positives here!" Now we can't imagine having anything other than our little man.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My wife is having some extreme late-term nausea, trouble keeping food down. We've got a call in to her ob/gyn and doctor, but aside from Instant Breakfasts are there any surefire gentle meals y'all managed to down in the last month of pregnancy?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

cream of wheat was pretty good for me in both early and late in pregnancy

cailleask
May 6, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

My wife is having some extreme late-term nausea, trouble keeping food down. We've got a call in to her ob/gyn and doctor, but aside from Instant Breakfasts are there any surefire gentle meals y'all managed to down in the last month of pregnancy?

Lots of small meals, small amounts of liquid all day. Eggs are a good anti-nausea food for pregnancy.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
How do/did you all deal with hip pain while sleeping? I got a pregnancy pillow and use a second pillow between my legs in conjunction with it. I still toss and turn all night. The lack of sleep is making me really irritable and emotional.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Pregnancy pillow plus a memory foam mattress topper. It helped me a LOT but nothing took the pain away 100%. Four months postpartum I am a lot more comfortable.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

How do/did you all deal with hip pain while sleeping? I got a pregnancy pillow and use a second pillow between my legs in conjunction with it. I still toss and turn all night. The lack of sleep is making me really irritable and emotional.

A firmer mattress/topper might help. I had to switch to sleeping to my spouse's side because we have a bed that's half softer and half firmer. But honestly there's only so much you can do; it's just awful.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Should I start putting anti-stretch mark cream on my abdomen before the skin is all tight and itchy, or just wait until I feel it? Recommendations for specific products?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I ordered a memory foam mattress topper and am waiting for it to come in. Hopefully it helps. I’ve been a mess the past few days.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I ordered a memory foam mattress topper and am waiting for it to come in. Hopefully it helps. I’ve been a mess the past few days.

For me I also ended up needing a small wedge pillow under my belly, then the pregnancy pillow between my legs and supporting my back. I also got better at making an effort to use my arms to adjust position in bed and not pull my knees apart during the day (getting in and out of cars, etc). Honestly though it was really really painful until I gave birth and I lost a ton of sleep even with all this pillow fort effort.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think the only way you could sleep comfortably when pregnant is if you had one of those tanks Luke was in in Empire Strikes Back.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Huh I dunno if bacta tanks are rated for pregnant women or aliens.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

boquiabierta posted:

Should I start putting anti-stretch mark cream on my abdomen before the skin is all tight and itchy, or just wait until I feel it? Recommendations for specific products?

Unfortunately I think whether you get stretch marks is mostly genetic and a factor of how round you get and the rate of change. However, keeping your belly moisturized will feel *much* better than letting it get too itchy.

I didn’t get any until the last week of my pregnancy so that was cool. Thought I was in the clear by that point but no. They’re on the lower side of my remaining paunch right now though so they won’t exist until I have a flat stomach again problem solved.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
The only thing that helped my hip and back pain was a foam topper (my pillows were useless) but again there was only so much it could do. The only time I truly slept comfortably after the baby started growing in earnest was on someones 40 year old ancient mattress that was pretty much just foam with almost no structure, I'm sure it would have been hell to sleep on normally but at the time I just sunk into it and all the sore bits were supported.

boquiabierta posted:

Seconding what BadSamaritan said. I put ~award winning~ stretch mark cream on from about 13 weeks onwards, and it didn't do anything except provide a nice sort of morning ritual. I still ended up heavily stretch marked (perfectly tracing the position my son spent his most time in) because he was 10lb 4oz with a major growth spurt in the final 4 weeks. I didn't have any stretch marks prior to that.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
FWIW I used Palmer’s Belly Butter from about 20 weeks on. No stretch marks until the last couple weeks, then I got a few small ones around my belly button, her favorite place to stretch her legs. I never had an itchy belly and the entirety of my second and third trimesters were while snow was on the ground. I did get lots of stretch marks on the underside of my boobs when I started breastfeeding without using anything, so I can’t say for certain if the belly butter helped.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I never used anything and didn't get any stretch marks.

It's all luck and genetics.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
A memory foam mattress or topper was a lifesaver for me. I work a very physically demanding job depending on my weekly assignment. I would have zero pain if I slept in my own bed (bed in a box memory foam mattress). If we went any where away from home I woke up very unhappy and sore.

Add a pregnancy pillow into that and pure heaven. Husband and I work different shifts and when I would get out of bed at 6 am he would get in and steal my pillow :)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Thanks for napping advice and encouragement. Haven't heard of "sleep begets sleep" before.

I understood it will get easier when she starts to get interested in toys. At the moment, the only thing that we can rely on is carrying her in a carrier. Rocking her in the arms and singing works but not always. I've been experimenting with public transport too. Sitting in a tram is better for my back than walking, and movement and engine hum sometimes seem to calm her.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

We took our little gal to the pediatrician yesterday and the screening said her thyroid levels were off. Have to take her to get more blood work,our pediatrician said this was not something to worry about but hahaha okay,doctor,I worry about everything. Anyone else have this experience?

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

We took our little gal to the pediatrician yesterday and the screening said her thyroid levels were off. Have to take her to get more blood work,our pediatrician said this was not something to worry about but hahaha okay,doctor,I worry about everything. Anyone else have this experience?

Since no one's chimed in, you might want to try the parenting thread. Lots of active discussion over there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It may be nothing, or it may be a completely manageable something, but take it seriously.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Had my 20 week scan yesterday which was not entirely reassuring. Sprog (our fetal nickname) has two secondary markers for trisomies: an echogenic (calcified) spot in the heart and some dilation of the renal vessels/accumulation of urine in the kidneys. Haven't looked this stuff up, don't particularly want to. The doctor said neither marker on its own would be cause for concern, but the two together constitute an increased risk, so they recalculated my risk for Down's and other trisomies. In the first trimester my risk was 1 in over 3000, now it's 1 in 419. Still low risk but I'm kind of freaked out by how much it changed. We're considering the chromosomal analysis screening bloodwork, although I'm concerned about the rate of false positives and if I would feel pressured into getting an amnio based on the results. Anyone have experience with the chromosomal analysis? What kind of results do you get? If it's just going to tell us "your risk is actually 1 in 800" or whatever I don't know if it's worth it, but if it'll be more definitive (and if the false positives are relatively rare) then I think we should do it for peace of mind.

I know it's still low risk and I shouldn't be freaking out but I was so nervous about the anatomy scan and so desperately wanted to be told everything looked great.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Had my 20 week scan yesterday which was not entirely reassuring. Sprog (our fetal nickname) has two secondary markers for trisomies: an echogenic (calcified) spot in the heart and some dilation of the renal vessels/accumulation of urine in the kidneys. Haven't looked this stuff up, don't particularly want to. The doctor said neither marker on its own would be cause for concern, but the two together constitute an increased risk, so they recalculated my risk for Down's and other trisomies. In the first trimester my risk was 1 in over 3000, now it's 1 in 419. Still low risk but I'm kind of freaked out by how much it changed. We're considering the chromosomal analysis screening bloodwork, although I'm concerned about the rate of false positives and if I would feel pressured into getting an amnio based on the results. Anyone have experience with the chromosomal analysis? What kind of results do you get? If it's just going to tell us "your risk is actually 1 in 800" or whatever I don't know if it's worth it, but if it'll be more definitive (and if the false positives are relatively rare) then I think we should do it for peace of mind.

I know it's still low risk and I shouldn't be freaking out but I was so nervous about the anatomy scan and so desperately wanted to be told everything looked great.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I can imagine it’s difficult deciding what you want to know/do at this point.

My husband and I opted for the genetic testing before the anatomy scan. Everything came back great. When we had the scan, there was an echogenic focus. I was upset and didn’t understand the results since the genetic testing came back fine. Since there was only that one marker and everything else was normal, my doctor was not concerned. I spoke with a friend who is the head sonographer at her hospital about it. She told me it’s very common with Asian populations (my husband is Chinese). Not sure if this is a factor for you.

I was very happy we had the genetic testing done. Had we not, I probably would have been more freaked out.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

boquiabierta posted:

We're considering the chromosomal analysis screening bloodwork, although I'm concerned about the rate of false positives and if I would feel pressured into getting an amnio based on the results. Anyone have experience with the chromosomal analysis? What kind of results do you get? If it's just going to tell us "your risk is actually 1 in 800" or whatever I don't know if it's worth it, but if it'll be more definitive (and if the false positives are relatively rare) then I think we should do it for peace of mind.

If you are thinking about the NIPT chromosomal screening test rather than an amnio, I’d recommend getting it sooner rather than later, as I believe they’re only usually recommended up to 21 or 22 weeks. Both NIPT and amnios are pretty good tests, false positive/false negative wise. Without the results, it’s hard to say whether you would be pushed towards getting an amnio, but keep in mind NIPT results are usually given in a similar ‘1 in x’ format.

That said, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I hope you get a clearer (and more reassuring) picture soon.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Disclaimer that me and my wife are scientists, so we always want more data. However, I think doing the nipt is a really good thing more people should do. False positives and negatives are very rare and not something you should really factor in. Having a healthy kid is already tough and hard to prepare for; imagine what it's like with other challenges. I think having more information and preparation is only a good thing. The only reason not to is if you have strong feelings about being surprised or not knowing things until delivery. And don't do the amnio at all. It's a very outdated method and the risk vs reward is not good.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Douche4Sale posted:

Disclaimer that me and my wife are scientists, so we always want more data. However, I think doing the nipt is a really good thing more people should do. False positives and negatives are very rare and not something you should really factor in. Having a healthy kid is already tough and hard to prepare for; imagine what it's like with other challenges. I think having more information and preparation is only a good thing. The only reason not to is if you have strong feelings about being surprised or not knowing things until delivery. And don't do the amnio at all. It's a very outdated method and the risk vs reward is not good.

I wish I had done the NIPT, but I wasn't sure my insurance would cover it. My daughter was stillborn in June and I still don't have the test results from the genetic testing on her placenta, which I know they did because I've gotten the bill for said test.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

zonohedron posted:

I wish I had done the NIPT, but I wasn't sure my insurance would cover it. My daughter was stillborn in June and I still don't have the test results from the genetic testing on her placenta, which I know they did because I've gotten the bill for said test.

I'm so sorry. Insurance and testing are awful, especially in the US. These things really frustrate me because the relative cost of testing isn't much, but the R&D behind it does. Nevertheless, it feels like we are progressing with the breadth and availability, and maybe costs, but it's a complicated thing. Timing still relies on people and however they process stuff, but getting a bill like that is awful. drat.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Thanks all. We are decided that we will get the NIPT. Even though it's 550€ :suicide: Hopefully the results are reassuring. If not, guess we'll have to face an amnio. I really really hope it doesn't come to that, but it's the only way to get a definitive diagnosis and we would definitely want and need that.

Guess this is what pregnancy and parenting are -- emotional roller coasters, unanticipated turns, near-total loss of control. What have we gotten ourselves into.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Not sure about where you are but the NIPT testing companies in the US are all very negotiable regarding their billing. You can call them up and say you can’t afford the full price and they’ll offer a reduced rate. Worth a try.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

^^ I'm in Spain but thanks anyway.

Got my blood drawn today. They asked me when I had last eaten and when I said about two hours ago, they made a big deal about was it WITHIN two hours because if it was over two hours they couldn't do the test. I was a Bad Patient and panic-lied that I was sure it was under two hours, when really it was probably just over. Apparently recent intake stimulates the baby so that there are more fetal cells in the maternal blood? But I frantically googled it and couldn't find a thing online about recent intake being important before the test. And they do the test from 9 weeks GA on and I'm 21 weeks now -- AND I had just had a fetal echocardiogram which seemed to be pretty stimulating -- so I can't imagine there wouldn't be enough DNA for the test, but now I'm wondering why the hell I didn't just go and eat something and come back to the lab. It was walk-in anyway, no appointment necessary.

Anyone know if freaking out is warranted or if I should chill out? If I just made it so we're going to have to pay another 550€ for an inconclusive test I'm a loving idiot.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I dont recall any instruction to eat within two hours and I certainly didnt for mine. Still got enough foetal cells.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Douche4Sale posted:

I'm so sorry. Insurance and testing are awful, especially in the US. These things really frustrate me because the relative cost of testing isn't much, but the R&D behind it does. Nevertheless, it feels like we are progressing with the breadth and availability, and maybe costs, but it's a complicated thing. Timing still relies on people and however they process stuff, but getting a bill like that is awful. drat.

Update: maybe complaining fixed it? I got the results today (three months and three days after the thing I mentioned in my spoiler). I've sent them to my mom (who, before retiring a couple years ago, was a professor of maternal/child nursing) because I'm afraid to look at them, but at least I have them. (She reminded me when I did so that the doctor's office had told me explicitly that it would be three months until I had the results. Would've been nice if the bill had waited too.)

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Woop woop just got a faint positive for baby number 2, just over 4 weeks after getting my iud out.

It was so fast this time, took us a year and the hsg to clear out my Fallopian tubes for number one.

We’re on holiday in Tokyo in a hotel that has an artificial hot spring and the only bummer is now I can’t use it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Disagree, onsen is fine for pregnant women unless you're late term/high risk.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

peanut posted:

Disagree, onsen is fine for pregnant women unless you're late term/high risk.

Cheers for that, was a bit worried as I’d already had a soak before I thought to test.

Did some more reading and looks like conventional advice (not Onsen specific) is nothing that raises body temp above 39, and water no hotter than 40 c. The sento here is 40.8, so should be right as long as I’m not in there for hours.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Happy to report I just got my results back from the NIPT and I am low risk for everything (less than 1 in 10,000). Very reassured. AND they respected my request to not include fetal sex in the report, which I wasn't sure they would do. Yay!

In other news I'm 22 weeks and am feeling this kiddo move all the time and it's the coolest weirdest sensation, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Happy to report I just got my results back from the NIPT and I am low risk for everything (less than 1 in 10,000). Very reassured. AND they respected my request to not include fetal sex in the report, which I wasn't sure they would do. Yay!

In other news I'm 22 weeks and am feeling this kiddo move all the time and it's the coolest weirdest sensation, I love it.

Congratulations!