Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

here's a fun page for lab workers to contemplate their own horrifying potential deaths

it goes a little like this:
explosion
explosion
exposure to deadly pathogen
exposure to deadly chemical
explosion
trapped in an industrial pressure washer
explosion
explosion
wolf attack
explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

vaguely posted:

wolf attack

What kind of lab workers have to worry about wolves?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ones that work in the wolf lab?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Avoiding explosions and predation is just best practice regardless of where you work

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

quote:

Kenton Joel Carnegie

2005, University of Waterloo, geological engineering student, wolf attack during field work in Athabasca basin (northern Saskatchewan)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

vaguely posted:

here's a fun page for lab workers to contemplate their own horrifying potential deaths

explosion
explosion
explosion
explosion
explosion
wolf attack
explosion

Batman villain origins?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I don’t know if the article is poorly written or if it’s just such a strange situation but I’m not sure if I’m correctly parsing what happened here. So the parents adopted a normal Ukrainian child, had her age “legally changed” to 22, told everyone she was 22 and looked 8, abandoned her in their apartment but kept paying the rent while they all hosed off to Canada...because reasons? What the hell was their end game?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

letthereberock posted:

I don’t know if the article is poorly written or if it’s just such a strange situation but I’m not sure if I’m correctly parsing what happened here. So the parents adopted a normal Ukrainian child, had her age “legally changed” to 22, told everyone she was 22 and looked 8, abandoned her in their apartment but kept paying the rent while they all hosed off to Canada...because reasons? What the hell was their end game?

I'm imagining some kind of hare brained fraud scheme?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

letthereberock posted:

She wasn’t “normal” - she had dwarfism which is why I assume they changed her age before abandoning her. Like eh 8, 22, who can really tell the difference if they’re physically deformed to begin with?

That said those people are beyond lovely and deserve to be locked in an apartment alone until they starve to death, a fate this poor girl was lucky to avoid.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Labes for days posted:

She wasn’t “normal” - she had dwarfism which is why I assume they changed her age before abandoning her. Like eh 8, 22, who can really tell the difference if they’re physically deformed to begin with?

That said those people are beyond lovely and deserve to be locked in an apartment alone until they starve to death, a fate this poor girl was lucky to avoid.

See that’s the part that’s tripping me up. The article isn’t clear whether the girl actually has dwarfism or if the parents made it all up.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

letthereberock posted:

There’s an update, but it doesn’t really clear anything up.

From what I can tell, she is chronologically 8, or it wouldn’t be child neglect, and they were paying her rent but stopped, so she was evicted and no one knows where she is now. And they had a biological son who was a child prodigy and the parents loved that limelight, so I’m assuming they adopted a Ukrainian child to try to mold her into one as well, then got frustrated when she didn’t perform and moved to Canada for their son to get his Physics degree up there.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

buddhist nudist posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Nw3fsr8&ampcf=1

So this is a local story I've been following for a while. There's still sentencing and accessories before it's all over but here's where things stand.

This is one of those cases where the perpetrator was absolutely convinced that he was a genius who could never be caught, when in face he was an idiot who hosed up literally every step of the way. They can practically put together a documentary video of the crime from all the local places that idiot showed up on camera buying and/or disposing of poo poo related to the crime.

vaguely posted:

explosion
explosion
explosion
explosion
explosion
wolf attack
explosion

Don't forget the sixteen consecutive deaths by "x-ray exposure" from 1902-1922.

quote:

Herbert Robert 1922, St. Louis. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Eugene Caldwell 1918, New York. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Walter James Dodd 1916. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Henry Green 1914. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Burton Eugene Baker 1913. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Thurman Lester Wagner 1912. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Mihran Casabian 1910, Philadelphia. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Rome Vernon Wagner 1908. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
John Bawer 1908. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
William Carl Egelhoff 1907. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Wolfram C. Fuchs 1907, Chicago. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Louis Weigel 1906, X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Arthur-Honore Radiguet 1905, Paris. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.
Elizabeth Fleischman-Aschheim 1905, San Francisco. Began experimenting with an x-ray machine on herself. Her arm was amputated due to x-ray burns before she finally died of cancer.
Clarence M. Dally 1904, New Jersey. Glass blower at Thomas Edison’s Menlo Park lab killed by x-ray exposure. Severely burned in 1896, he still worked with x-rays until 1898. His death caused Edison to discontinue radiation work in his lab.
Arthur Barry Blacker 1902, London. X-ray pioneer died due to x-ray exposure.

Not a single case of acquired superpowers reported in this unlucky group.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
PREEMPTIVE CLARIFICATION: I like this thread I'm not suggesting we close this thread and start over.

I miss when this and the previous thread focused on cryptid or fringe weird poo poo. Like number stations, lost cosmonauts or the philadelphia experiment. That kind of weird poo poo. Anyone interested in making a thread that focuses on that stuff or am I off base?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Croatoan posted:

PREEMPTIVE CLARIFICATION: I like this thread I'm not suggesting we close this thread and start over.

I miss when this and the previous thread focused on cryptid or fringe weird poo poo. Like number stations, lost cosmonauts or the philadelphia experiment. That kind of weird poo poo. Anyone interested in making a thread that focuses on that stuff or am I off base?

I say bring it back in here. Tell me about that kind of horror please!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This is one of those cases where the perpetrator was absolutely convinced that he was a genius who could never be caught, when in face he was an idiot who hosed up literally every step of the way. They can practically put together a documentary video of the crime from all the local places that idiot showed up on camera buying and/or disposing of poo poo related to the crime.

Don't forget the sixteen consecutive deaths by "x-ray exposure" from 1902-1922.

Not a single case of acquired superpowers reported in this unlucky group.

You don't hear about the cases of the ones with superpowers as the government covers it up :tinfoil:

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Pretty much, yeah. It also helped that he's apparently on really bad terms with his younger brother so the second the cops started asking questions, the brother just immediately sold him out. The killer's own defense attorney was like "yeah, my client's hosed."

The judge in charge of sentencing is also pretty well known for being fond of giving out maximum punishments. That's not a practice I necessarily condone, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if it happens to this guy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Croatoan posted:

That's my favorite part of this thread. True crime is fun and all, and can certainly be unnerving, but I love me some cryptids and dead astronaut conspiracy theories. Plus it's almost Halloween! It's the time for cryptids!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The paranormal/conspiracy forum is also a great place for cryptid content to go

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
That's more like a ghost in and of itself of shitposts

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
You want cryptid chat? How about when the Denton Goatman threw a van at me?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Croatoan posted:

I'm 1000% down for this sort of stuff, but the problem with Paranormal/Conspiracy/Cryptid content is that there's not a lot of new stories since all that poo poo's fake. If anybody has some good stuff definitely post it, though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As long as sleep paralysis and shadow people discussions are banned, for some reason that poo poo always pops up in cryptdid threads.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the drug that makes everyone see "machine elves"? That seemed pretty weird

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
New thread is here, just separating the subjects for a better focus. This thread is cool!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898843

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Elizabeth Griffin 1997, Atlanta, GA. Yerkes Primate Center.
Griffin was working with Rhesus monkeys infected with Herpes B virus. One monkey flung some debris from its cage that hit Griffin in the eye. Griffin contracted the disease and died six weeks later.
You all forgot the "best" lab accident.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Anyone working in time travel or paracausality.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

aphid_licker posted:

What's the drug that makes everyone see "machine elves"? That seemed pretty weird

DMT

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just wanted to say: hell yeah

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Think this is the same Kristine Barnett from Indiana?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QJMV8A/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

quote:

In this compelling memoir, the mother of an autistic savant featured in a 60 Minutes segment tells the story of her remarkable son. The book would have benefited from a foreword by a prominent scientist and/or psychiatrist who could establish that this is completely legit. At two, Jake is diagnosed with autism. As a tyke, he memorizes every license plate in the neighborhood and teaches himself Braille. At eight, he starts auditing college courses. At 10, he teaches himself the entire high-school math curriculum in two weeks. At 13, he is a college sophomore at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. The book contains many interesting nuggets about kids with autism; for example, they dislike bowling alleys (too noisy). The family’s story, which includes Jake’s dad losing his job and his mom suffering from a stroke at age 30, seems destined for a TV or movie screen. Barnett even runs a day-care center, takes in foster kids, and starts a sports program for autistic kids. Jake is unusual, but so is his superhuman mom. --Karen Springen

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kinda local, but an arrest has been in a serial killer case from 'bout 10 or 12 years ago in Daytona

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/daytona-beach-police-department-to-make-announcement-regarding-serial-killer-case/986559099

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytona_Beach_killer

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

pookel posted:

Think this is the same Kristine Barnett from Indiana?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QJMV8A/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
The book contains many interesting nuggets about kids with autism; for example, they dislike bowling alleys (too noisy).

i "love" poo poo like this. "this one person who happens to be X doesn't like Y. this is proof that all Xs hate Y. since i'm not X i just blithely assume they're all interchangeable tbh"

many or most kids with autism are pretty likely to dislike bowling alleys due to the noise but that's -- "all kids with autism dislike bowling alleys, i learned that from reading one book that one parent wrote about their kid one time" is just so loving standard-issue dumbassery. eat poo poo karen springen

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A local one my wife just sent me. Other than the gross misuse of the term “arrest papers”, it paints a pretty horrifying picture of this kid’s miserable excuse for a life. This happened about 15 minutes from me.

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/poli...m_medium=social

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Imperador do Brasil posted:

A local one my wife just sent me. Other than the gross misuse of the term “arrest papers”, it paints a pretty horrifying picture of this kid’s miserable excuse for a life. This happened about 15 minutes from me.

God drat, hosed up and sad, according to arrest papers

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Their use of the phrase according to arrest papers was the only thing keeping me from becoming physically ill while reading that, it's just so absurd, according to arrest papers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imperador do Brasil posted:

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/poli...m_medium=social

:murder:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't read the chemistry thread, and I'm not a chemist (and I guess those two things are related), so can someone explain to me why those insane murder compounds of mercury (for example) even exist?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't read the chemistry thread, and I'm not a chemist (and I guess those two things are related), so can someone explain to me why those insane murder compounds of mercury (for example) even exist?

rocket fuel.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Solvents for NMR analysis.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

science is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doing weird poo poo with mercury is basically how we got chemistry.