Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

blizzardvizard posted:

Cyril is good because he gets Point-Blank Volley far earlier than when you get access to Brave weapons, starts with good weapon ranks, and has the right proficiencies to easily go into Wyverns

I'm really not sure why he's so widely seen as bad

His growths with aptitude aren't what people expect of the Est archetype. I still maintain Zeiss is the best Est.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cyril is fine as an unit but bad as a character

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also his supports are just uncomfortable, he's in a gross situation and his character never changes from that, if anything he doubles down on Rhea is my lord and master.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah I was just talking about his performance as a unit

And I guess I was in a reverse situation where I was letting his character slide and giving undue benefit of the doubt because he's good as a unit. On replays and reading through his supports again, it's really quite uncomfortable.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 15, 2019

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah I was just talking about his performance as a unit

And I guess I was in a reverse situation where I was letting his character slide and giving undue benefit of the doubt because he's good as a unit. On replays and reading through his supports again, it's really quite uncomfortable.

But you can just use Seteth instead of wasting exp to build Cyril into a wyvern rider.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

not a bot posted:

But you can just use Seteth instead of wasting exp to build Cyril into a wyvern rider.

Seteth doesn't have strength in bows or point-blank volley

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Seteth is amazing but he also joins like 7 chapters later, they're not even in a comparable position. He doesn't have Point-Blank Volley either. And not like having multiple Wyverns is bad, boring sure but if we're purely talking mechanics then well.

Unless we're talking about church route ofc

He's been pretty mvp in my maddening run since doubling is scarce

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Andrast posted:

Seteth doesn't have strength in bows or point-blank volley

Yeah but you don't need to sink so much exp into him so it's fine. Though on maddening Cyril might be better since you'll be doing battles on weekends so there is exp to go around.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

not a bot posted:

Yeah but you don't need to sink so much exp into him so it's fine. Though on maddening Cyril might be better since you'll be doing battles on weekends so there is exp to go around.

If anything there is far too much exp to go around on non-maddening playthroughs. Overleveling is the problem, not running out of experience.

There is absolutely no exp to go around in maddening since exp gain got nerfed super hard.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I wanted to use all the church characters for my church run to be thematic, but Cyril joining so late and still in commoner made me make an exception to that idea.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does that mean it's also harder to unlock advanced classes?

I was thinking of doing 2 NG+ files, one on Maddening to see if the combo of NG+ buffs and maddening cancel each other out.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The exp curve does start to balance out once you gain access to statues, and if you go in with all the exp statue buffs you shouldn't have any issue with levelling

I just unlocked Advanced Seals in the shop and I've got a couple of level 18-19 units, most are 15-16. Which is a bit lower than I was in Hard iirc but not by much. So even with a fresh file the exp curve isn't that horrible, try to score enemy kills next to Byleth whenever you can still though

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are fists/punching/whatever it’s called a viable weapon set? The base damage was always so low Cyril often couldn’t even dent regular enemies on Hard.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Vegetable posted:

Are fists/punching/whatever it’s called a viable weapon set? The base damage was always so low Cyril often couldn’t even dent regular enemies on Hard.
give them to caspar/raphael/felix(?), and they'll be able to one round every single enemy
if you have low strength they're crap, if you have high strength they're far and away the best weapon in the game
they become even better with Death Blow

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fists are the best weapon in the game. They are only held back by not being able to use them while flying.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fists aren't super strong but they're ridiculously fast and the first weapon you'll be able to hit 4 times in one attack with. if you don't have much str you'll glance right off of heavy armor units but if you do you can decimate them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

Cyril is fine as an unit but bad as a character

he's kind of garbage as a unit too

aptitude is nice until you realize that his growths are super low so it just results in him having normal growths and lovely base stats

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yinlock posted:

he's kind of garbage as a unit too

aptitude is nice until you realize that his growths are super low so it just results in him having normal growths and lovely base stats

There are worse things to be than Petra with worse base stats and tailor-made skills for wyvern riding (and a great bow art)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It's not Aptitude that makes him good

His bases are definitely not great but Point-Blank adds 3 Mt anyway and it carries him while he's getting his Spd on track. And his bulk can easily be fixed with an Armored Knight exam because he starts with C+ Axes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

There are worse things to be than Petra with worse base stats and tailor-made skills for wyvern riding (and a great bow art)

blizzardvizard posted:

It's not Aptitude that makes him good

His bases are definitely not great but Point-Blank adds 3 Mt anyway and it carries him while he's getting his Spd on track. And his bulk can easily be fixed with an Armored Knight exam because he starts with C+ Axes

otoh it's cyril, why would you bother

if you want a good wyvern rider just use Literally Anyone

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 15, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Because no one else gets Point-Blank Volley at C+ Bows, he essentially has a prf brave weapon about a dozen levels earlier before you even start finding one in loots.

The discussion is getting circular at this point though let's let it rest

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does that mean it's also harder to unlock advanced classes?

I was thinking of doing 2 NG+ files, one on Maddening to see if the combo of NG+ buffs and maddening cancel each other out.

From what I've heard, NG+ bonuses and Maddening do not cancel each other out, just because enemies never stop being consistently faster than your units and (again, just going by what I've read) even when state EXP bonuses you're not quite keeping up with enemy levels. The gap will be smaller though.

If nothing else, Maddening is still very rough early on even on NG+ with carried-over battalions.

I'm going to start my NG+ Maddening soon, once I finish my current BE-E run, and I'm hoping it's fun.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It really is weird that Cyril is the one character who never gets called on any of his negative aspects, when basically everybody seems to have the same reaction to his obsessive devotion.

Is this related to how the game seems to think Byleth is way more dedicated to Rhea than any player has ever been? Are we expected to have a stronger positive reaction to her?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Cyril is good because I like making children into war criminals.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Rand Brittain posted:

It really is weird that Cyril is the one character who never gets called on any of his negative aspects, when basically everybody seems to have the same reaction to his obsessive devotion.

Is this related to how the game seems to think Byleth is way more dedicated to Rhea than any player has ever been? Are we expected to have a stronger positive reaction to her?

Considering the fanbase reaction to Tharja and Faye, they probably thought obsessive women is the key to peoples' hearts.

And they are right as I love Edelgard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
People liked Faye :psyduck:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
She's funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most people ive seen like faye are girls who think shes funny and find her somewhat relatable but wish echoes gave her a bit more resolution.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The main difference between Faye and Cyril in dedication is that Alm constantly keeps Faye in check of her obsession, even calling it out at times.

Does...Cyril ever talk to Rhea....ever? Maybe once in the entire multiple routes?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Tae posted:

The main difference between Faye and Cyril in dedication is that Alm constantly keeps Faye in check of her obsession, even calling it out at times.

Does...Cyril ever talk to Rhea....ever? Maybe once in the entire multiple routes?

Nooo, Rhea is the Faye to Byleth's Alm.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Tae posted:

There's three times I can confirm where Rhea even acknowledges Cyril, and none of them are an actual conversation.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rhea should have had more supports

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tharja is The Worst Spooky Witch and owns.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Rhea should have just been your 'lord' in church route. Instead of getting captured she could have escaped after the battle instead, take on a more active role in the Church story and get supports with characters that aren't Byleth to flesh her out more. As is there's very little reason to like her as she comes off super creepy a lot of the time, and though people TALK about the nice things she did for them (mostly Catherine and Cyril) we never actually SEE anything like that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Rhea should have just been your 'lord' in church route. Instead of getting captured she could have escaped after the battle instead, take on a more active role in the Church story and get supports with characters that aren't Byleth to flesh her out more. As is there's very little reason to like her as she comes off super creepy a lot of the time, and though people TALK about the nice things she did for them (mostly Catherine and Cyril) we never actually SEE anything like that.

I wouldn't have minded more supports for Rhea to be creepy in

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Still on my first play through. I rolled Blue Lion because they had a guy named Dedue (doodoo...heh). Well imagine my sadness when Dedue turns up dead after the time skip.

I'm a grown-rear end man in the post-escalator world, so nothing moves the emotional needle for me anymore. However Dedue just returned from the dead and I am still getting over my shock and joy.

Good job, video game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got into the NG+ holy tomb area

How do I get back out?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Go into your menu and hit L, like you would if you wanted to end the explore phase early.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I got into the NG+ holy tomb area

How do I get back out?

Same way you end exploring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hate same turn reinforcements so much, it's just designed solely to burn divine pulses