Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is Playstation Vue really the best bang for your buck?

I currently only pay my cable company for internet only; I tried fubo.tv, youtube.tv, Hulu TV free trials.. using just Safari on a Mac laptop and AppleTV, fubo was like the most trouble free but I didn't like the pricing options.

Playstation Vue looks really nice and it seems like you get the most at the basic level, is anyone using it every day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I use Vue and think it’s great. One thing though since you mentioned Safari is that Vue really sucks on Safari. I get high resource usage warnings on Safari all the time while using it to watch Vue, and it seems like weird buffering issues happen more on Safari. Vue works great on Chrome though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I currently only pay my cable company for internet only; I tried fubo.tv, youtube.tv, Hulu TV free trials.. using just Safari on a Mac laptop and AppleTV, fubo was like the most trouble free but I didn't like the pricing options.

Playstation Vue looks really nice and it seems like you get the most at the basic level, is anyone using it every day?

I'm looking at this too. ATT TV Now doesn't have NFL network so now I'm looking at both Sling and Vue since they have the packages I want.

I noticed on the Disney Now app that they don't have Sling listed as an acceptable provider login.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

I think spectrum tv is the best bang for the buck if you are in their area.

39.99 a month and it comes with all the movie channels.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The interface on Vue is not the best, and the way the DVR works takes some getting used to, but the steaming works reliably and the prices/packages worked out for me, I've been satisfied

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I think spectrum tv is the best bang for the buck if you are in their area.

39.99 a month and it comes with all the movie channels.

Do you have any info on this? Only thing I can find is their streaming service for $25/mo that includes 25 channels, or their regular TV service for $44 with no movie channels included.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Do you have any info on this? Only thing I can find is their streaming service for $25/mo that includes 25 channels, or their regular TV service for $44 with no movie channels included.

Yeah its that one for 25 and for 15 you can add in all the movie channels.

The 25 channels it covers are pretty much all the major ones and for $25 it covers a lot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

gret posted:

Yeah I use Vue and think it’s great. One thing though since you mentioned Safari is that Vue really sucks on Safari. I get high resource usage warnings on Safari all the time while using it to watch Vue, and it seems like weird buffering issues happen more on Safari. Vue works great on Chrome though.

It appears that Vue decided to join the modern world in April 2018; in that month, they went from requiring Flash (ugh) to streaming via HTML5.

Trying it now on the laptop, seems buttery smooth in Safari and doesn't peg the CPU for more than 15-20% since HTML5 gets passed straight to the GPU, and even on this Late 2013 rMBP, the Intel Iris seems to do a decent job.

I'm trying out the free trial and video looks just as good as it does on fuboTV which also does it in HTML5.

fuboTV's guide is a million times better as it has graphic previews and smooth scrolling even with embedded descriptions of programs, it's much easier to surf, but it's not modifiable. Vue is crudely modifiable via favorites but if everybody used something like fuboTV people probably wouldn't bitch as much.

The AppleTV Vue app promises to let you have up to 4 different channels playing on the screen at once; gonna have to give this a try, hopefully my TV will be able to keep up!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 15, 2019

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I wish these services (in this case YoutubeTV) offered a free trial for around a month. I need more time to use all of the features (especially DVR) in a natural fashion. The one week always seems to go by so quickly and I never feel like that I got to really see everything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I wish these services (in this case YoutubeTV) offered a free trial for around a month. I need more time to use all of the features (especially DVR) in a natural fashion. The one week always seems to go by so quickly and I never feel like that I got to really see everything.

Youtube just had a 3 week trial.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jose Oquendo posted:

Youtube just had a 3 week trial.

I hate how the 3 week trial would have ended just before all of the new broadcast shows start up at the end of september. I was considering it just to try it, but realized I'd get no use out of YTTV until then

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

YTTV has been great, albeit sharing with 2 friends, on random stuff I don’t want to automate with my Plex server. Mainly HDTV or ESPN showings but also general white noise in the background. Unlimited DVR is nice as well, so I can’t complain.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Cancelling my PSVue trial and going back to FuboTV for now.

Yes, plenty of channels even at basic level, but no on-demand media and horrible guide pages ruined it for me. Might go back if more NWSL games wind up on ESPN/ESPN News, but for now bleah.

The iOS/ATV version wasn't bad, if I ever pick up an el cheapo iPad I might get it back. Am gonna try YouTubeTV next.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My wife watches on demand on Vue all the time

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's super NOT-intuitive to get to on demand, it's not even on the main menu which consists of:

My DVR - Channels - Live TV - Guide

You have to scroll from the main screen way down until you get to Movies.

I may keep it if I have a burning need for ABC affiliates and ESPN, but right now I don't.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Was Vue the one where you'd record a show, and then when you go to the program they'd mix in the episode with all the on demand poo poo, making it nearly impossible to just find the locally recorded show so you could fast forward through commercials?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Was Vue the one where you'd record a show, and then when you go to the program they'd mix in the episode with all the on demand poo poo, making it nearly impossible to just find the locally recorded show so you could fast forward through commercials?

YouTubeTV definitely did that - at least with CBS programming. Very annoying.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I wouldn't say it's impossible to find the version you want though. The episode has a little expando-arrow, you click it and the available versions drop down. I like it because if I'm going to watch an episode of something on my computer, I want the VOD because browser adblock works to remove the ads. If I'm watching on my Apple TV, I want the recorded version to skip through the ads.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

poo poo, Vue is the worst.

There's no section for on-demand only like every other loving service provides, including the cable companies themselves..

you have to go to the Movies section and scroll forever and look for the individual movies that have the label 'on-demand' on them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So the AT&T box turned up, and yeah as brought up earlier it’s a piece of crap. Way oversized for no apparent reason (I’m tempted to open it up to see if the space is even used), a remote that initially seems far more suited to a cable replacement box with extra buttons like record, digits, guide etc that most don’t offered but then completely ruined by an arrow pad that tortures your thumb to use it.

Performance blows, the AT&T software is constantly running as part of the OS unless you open something that fully takes over. It hangs constantly, so you don’t know if it’s accepted your input, and I got it to crash fully within a few minutes.

One thing that was a surprise tho - I grabbed the Plex app and had Tautulli up when I played some video, and found it was able to playback 1080p HEVC natively. I’ll have to test some audio codecs when it’s not running through my TV, but that alone is pretty rare for a non-4K device. My Roku and Firestick don’t do this, only my 4th gen Apple TV.

So it has one upside at least, but ouch at everything else. In better news, they gave me access to their top tier TV with a bunch of premium channels and there’s apps on the other devices for it that work better. So worth filling out a form at least.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This is amazing, and should definitely be in the original post. (I just found my way here because TiVo just announced pre-roll ads and I'm fuming mad at them.) Looks like Roku + Youtube TV is the future for me!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

This is amazing, and should definitely be in the original post. (I just found my way here because TiVo just announced pre-roll ads and I'm fuming mad at them.) Looks like Roku + Youtube TV is the future for me!

I feel like you'd be more annoyed with unskippable ads in your recordings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

YouTubeTV doesn't have unskippable ads in recordings. What does happen is forced VOD for CBS shows, but who watches CBS?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I don't know how to describe what TiVo's done other than product suicide.

This summer I got another upgrade offer to transfer the lifetime service from my 10 year old Premiere to a new box. Was really tempting for the price, even if it would just be for OTA. I felt some FOMO after opting for the Prime Day Recast sale instead, right up until reading this news.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I sent them an email letting them know why I'm cancelling my TiVo service. They announced it just in time since it would have renewed on Oct 4th.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

YouTubeTV doesn't have unskippable ads in recordings. What does happen is forced VOD for CBS shows, but who watches CBS?

The problem is your recordings are replaced with VOD once it's available and it happens frequently in my experience.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I don't know how to describe what TiVo's done other than product suicide.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I sent them an email letting them know why I'm cancelling my TiVo service. They announced it just in time since it would have renewed on Oct 4th.

I bought a loving TiVo Mini 2 months ago to put in my new office and I was so excited. Now I'm well outside of the return window. Sadly my renewal date is April. They've been circling the drain for years now and it wouldn't surprise me if this was the nail in the coffin. I wonder what happens if you run a pihole or other network level adblocker. I've emailed them asking for a RMA on the device, I haven't even freaking used it yet because our office renovations took longer than expected.

LastInLine posted:

The problem is your recordings are replaced with VOD once it's available and it happens frequently in my experience.

This is what I'm worried about. I get why they do it as I assume it uses the TV network's bandwidth instead of Google's. I'm going to try it out for a few months before I make any rash decisions, it wouldn't surprise me if TiVo walked this back a little bit. Sadly those ads do have a really high CPM.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 22, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

CBS is the only network that's doing that now.

NBCU was a year ago, but they long since stopped doing it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Skipped 68 posts but I signed up for Spectrum.

It's cord cutting because I only use the app. They have a ton of channels, more than any of the other internet co's like YoutubeTV. I was paying $66 a month for internet only, they advertise a deal for 45/45 if you get internet and cable. I called in, the real price is $105 out the door because of local carriage fees and taxes. It's actually pretty good, the only thing is no DVR and VOD has ads as long and frequent as watching live. Not as good a deal as I spouted in here months ago I guess. Your thoughts?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
No DVR is a deal breaker. Who watches live tv these days unless it’s sports

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I canceled my cable and canceled my TIVO service a few months ago. Don't miss the DVR at all. Between OTA channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a PBS membership, I have several times more content to watch than there are hours in the day. That I was spending $90+ a month so the TIVO could record cable content I never watched, for years, really makes me question what I've been doing with my life.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you do actually record and watch things, though, TiVo is really, really nice.

Except screw that “new user experience “ thing. Previews and tiles everywhere blows, just show me the info I’m looking for.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you do actually record and watch things, though, TiVo is really, really nice.

Except screw that “new user experience “ thing. Previews and tiles everywhere blows, just show me the info I’m looking for.

Yeah I will never press that button.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thursday Night Football in 4K on the Fox Sports app is really nice (running it on my Apple TV but sounds like it supports a few platforms). I back and forthed with my AT&T cable feed and yeah it’s a definite upgrade for sure. Really crisp, and a way more appropriate bitrate for the action. Definitely worth using unless you care about lag - it feels about 30 seconds behind the cable broadcast. No ads too!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

On Xfinity, FIOS, and DirecTV, it's also HDR:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/26/20884246/nfl-4k-hdr-broadcast-first-ever-fox-sports-thursday-night-football-streaming

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah neat, at least it's coming soon (hopefully before the end of the season) to the apps. As my viewing distance is quite far back, I found myself just standing in front of my screen about 2 feet back for a good chunk just to check it out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Huh, Vue just sent me a code for another 5 day preview.

If I use it it'll only be for the ATV version, the browser guide just left a bad taste in my mouth, I don't expect it to be any better though I sent them an email with my critiques.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

How restrictive is the geolocation set up for YoutubeTV? A friend of mine says that she shares it with her sister who lives 45-60 minutes away.

I am trying it out right now but I am always looking at getting the price down ($50 a month is a hit against it) so if I decide to continue, being able to share it with someone would be a bonus.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

How restrictive is the geolocation set up for YoutubeTV? A friend of mine says that she shares it with her sister who lives 45-60 minutes away.

I am trying it out right now but I am always looking at getting the price down ($50 a month is a hit against it) so if I decide to continue, being able to share it with someone would be a bonus.

My brother in Missouri shared his YouTube TV with me in Atlanta and it worked fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

When I had Youtube TV, I'd switch on/off my VPN to get different markets' NFL games, and it was never an issue.