Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mistayke posted:

Montage will be buried next to me.

Is there hate for this Synth? I don't really understand. It's the most amazing Synth I have ever laid my hands on and I love it so much that I named it.

I haven’t seen any hate for it. I thought everyone saw it as a worthy successor to the Motif, but the MegaKnob or whatever is kinda weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rifter17 posted:

The Behringer Deepmind 12D might be a contender? Poly and has a lot of knobs. Roland system 1m? If you're OK with a small keyboard then maybe Modal Skulpt? Arturia Microfreak?

Thanks for the suggestions. Those first two look like good options, although $$$. I'll consider them all.

Rifter17 posted:

I also have a deluge and I have a hard time getting into the synth part of it. I really enjoy the sequencing that it's capable of (and the beta stuff coming up is pretty cool too). I did tell myself to make a submission for the fascist robot collection just using the deluge to force myself to learn more about the unit by itself.

One feature I think would help a lot is if there was some way to view the patch connections in reverse. So like, press Shift and hold the LFO1 source button and all of the parameters that are being modulated by it would light up or something. Part of my problem is I want to use some modulation source for a new purpose and I'm not sure if it's already modulating some other parameter.

So Math posted:

Is your midi controller particularly knobby? You might be able to get some mileage out of the Deluge's midi learn stuff.

Yes, actually it is. It's a Roland A300 (that I stole from work). That's a really good idea, I'll try playing around with that.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I haven’t seen any hate for it. I thought everyone saw it as a worthy successor to the Motif, but the MegaKnob or whatever is kinda weird.

Weird? No. Evolutionary? Yes. Once you have played with it, you will wonder how you ever got along without it. It can completely change sounds on the fly in real time. It's just an incredible thing. Take that single horn and let it blossom in to a full horn section, with either the flick of the knob, or foot pedal (my preferred method of controlling it).

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

So Math posted:

Is your midi controller particularly knobby? Small cheap knobby MIDI controllers are plentiful, a lot of companies make them. You might be able to get some mileage out of the Deluge's midi learn stuff.

One of the annoying things about the Deluge is that it doesn't have midi implementation. So every parameter you want to map needs to be mapped per synth instance per song. The current workaround is to save preset song templates. It would make more sense to have sound presets remember the midi learning so when you select your fat pads then it automatically loads up mapped parameters for a specific channel.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I mean it’s a macro control, they’ve been on synths for a long rear end time. I was just surprised at how much time they spent hyping it in every drat trade show vid.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Hey you all better informed folks, I'm gonna ask a stupid question: if I wanted, could I load up some old EMU sample packs into an MPC live and make it play, say, some cheesy old Proteus string patches? I've got the GAS something fierce and I'm at the moment thinking of either going for a newfangled MC-707 which tickles my groovebox fancy, or just go for a MPC Live and make that the nerve center of my mess of synths.

Background: making noise with synths is a year-old hobby for me, and I've tried to keep it cheap. So far I've been doing things the 90s way with using a trusty old QY70 to sequence my stack of Volcas and a MicroKorg. Unfortunately my living arrangements do not allow for a dedicated spot for synths, so I have to clean after myself after every session. I have some loose cash at the moment and was thinking of replacing the QY70 with a modern unit with a modern interface. would love to have something I could just take into my lap and mess with and which could produce both beats and retro rompler and synth sounds, especially when I can't be arsed to take out all my toys for a couple of hours of fun. Would an MPC Live fit the bill? I would love to get an old Proteus for the PSB cheesiness, but space, as I said, is at the moment non-existent.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ll buy your QY if you end up wanting to sell it, I’ve been looking for one to play tunes at work

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

Background: making noise with synths is a year-old hobby for me, and I've tried to keep it cheap.
I don't think anyone is going to disagree if I just say you might as well embrace failure on that front right away.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Hey you all better informed folks, I'm gonna ask a stupid question: if I wanted, could I load up some old EMU sample packs into an MPC live and make it play, say, some cheesy old Proteus string patches? I've got the GAS something fierce and I'm at the moment thinking of either going for a newfangled MC-707 which tickles my groovebox fancy, or just go for a MPC Live and make that the nerve center of my mess of synths.

You can use https://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/ to convert things that aren't .wav to .wav.

quote:

would love to have something I could just take into my lap and mess with and which could produce both beats and retro rompler and synth sounds, especially when I can't be arsed to take out all my toys for a couple of hours of fun. Would an MPC Live fit the bill? I would love to get an old Proteus for the PSB cheesiness, but space, as I said, is at the moment non-existent.

Is battery operation an absolute must? The MC707 is also close to that rompler thing (or a Korg Electribe 2, not the sample version), but if you want your own sounds too, the 707 doesn't give me signals that it has a proper fully-fledged sampler.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I’ll buy your QY if you end up wanting to sell it, I’ve been looking for one to play tunes at work

If shipping from Finland of all places isn't an issue, I'll keep it in mind! It's a beautiful little machine.

Laserjet 4P posted:

You can use https://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/ to convert things that aren't .wav to .wav.

Is battery operation an absolute must? The MC707 is also close to that rompler thing (or a Korg Electribe 2, not the sample version), but if you want your own sounds too, the 707 doesn't give me signals that it has a proper fully-fledged sampler.

Thanks for the software tip! Apparently I can get my cheesy rompler sounds into an Akai machine after all, so right now I'm leaning towards the MPC Live. Battery operation would be a big plus, one of the greatest things about the QY70 is its portability. I can hammer out tunes on the way to work and plug it into my stuff through MIDI when I have the time. I could just go for something more, well, contemporary. (Also I just noticed that the MC-707 lacks a song mode. That would become an issue for me pretty quick, I would like to be able to perform complete songs with accompaniment.) Tough choices, OTOH a TR8s with a synth engine would be so ideal in many other respects!

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

I have some loose cash at the moment and was thinking of replacing the QY70 with a modern unit with a modern interface. would love to have something I could just take into my lap and mess with and which could produce both beats and retro rompler and synth sounds, especially when I can't be arsed to take out all my toys for a couple of hours of fun. Would an MPC Live fit the bill? I would love to get an old Proteus for the PSB cheesiness, but space, as I said, is at the moment non-existent.

I know that I was just complaining about some things with the Synthstrom Deluge, but that might be a great fit for you. You can load up samples of your own into it and works as a great sequencer too. It has song mode and is consistently being improved. It's battery powered too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't think anyone is going to disagree if I just say you might as well embrace failure on that front right away.

I've only been abusing my own ears since the start of summer, and I already have a wishlist that, cost-wise, would be the equivalent of my mortgage for the year. :stonklol:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i just got a Behringer Model D, as my first synth.

I've always wanted to get my hands off the mouse and touch some real knobs :awesome:, but it was way too expensive back in the day, and I never really thought about it again until a couple weeks ago, when i learned that now you can get good synths for like $300. So I started thinking about getting a Neutron or Model D or a Microfreak, maybe, possibly, perhaps, if the stars align. Then i saw some Model Ds being sold for only $200 and I couldn't resist

lol what have i done :trumppop: i'm excited to screw around with it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rah! posted:

i just got a Behringer Model D, as my first synth.

I've always wanted to get my hands off the mouse and touch some real knobs :awesome:, but it was way too expensive back in the day, and I never really thought about it again until a couple weeks ago, when i learned that now you can get good synths for like $300. So I started thinking about getting a Neutron or Model D or a Microfreak, maybe, possibly, perhaps, if the stars align. Then i saw some Model Ds being sold for only $200 and I couldn't resist

lol what have i done :trumppop: i'm excited to screw around with it.

Congratulations!

So I heard you like touching knobs? Let me tell you about those patch points on your D. You could jack a SQ-1 in there and it would immediately expand your knob contact surface and subsequent pleasure. Then maybe give it a DFAM or an 0-coast to feel less lonely. And who knows, maybe one day your D will find a hole made for it in a eurorack case?

What I'm trying to say is; welcome, Rah! It's nice and cosy when you are with your synths. You will enjoy it. Money is overrated anyway. Knobs and cables are your true friends.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Work on your tracks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Who has the Model D for $200? I see Amazon has the D and Neutron for $225 now. Used ones are all $250 lmao.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Congratulations!

So I heard you like touching knobs? Let me tell you about those patch points on your D. You could jack a SQ-1 in there and it would immediately expand your knob contact surface and subsequent pleasure. Then maybe give it a DFAM or an 0-coast to feel less lonely. And who knows, maybe one day your D will find a hole made for it in a eurorack case?

What I'm trying to say is; welcome, Rah! It's nice and cosy when you are with your synths. You will enjoy it. Money is overrated anyway. Knobs and cables are your true friends.

oh yeah dont stop

haha thanks, i already have a list of cool things i wanna get that are cheapish on their own, but together are extremely not cheap :shepface:

Philthy posted:

Who has the Model D for $200? I see Amazon has the D and Neutron for $225 now. Used ones are all $250 lmao.

Amazon briefly had them for $200 from this one seller. There were only 6 left in stock when i got mine and they were gone several hours later. I got a free month of amazon prime out of it too, i wonder if they have any knob-centric shows

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 12, 2019

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mr. Dick posted:

Work on your tracks.

I am working on my tracks, Mr. Dick :colbert:

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

New patch with the Mimeophon. Such a great module!

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/ballade

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Rifter17 posted:

I know that I was just complaining about some things with the Synthstrom Deluge, but that might be a great fit for you. You can load up samples of your own into it and works as a great sequencer too. It has song mode and is consistently being improved. It's battery powered too.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll end up with an MPC Live, I've just been binging on sampling tutorials and I have to find out what the new MPC experience is like. (I used to own a 2000XL I never took the time to learn to use properly.) The Deluge doesn't feel like I'd end up using it much after messing around with it for a bit.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Reading this thread last year is what actually got me interested in synths. After seeing what has happened to so many folks in here I swore not to get into modular, and to not buy a single piece of gear worth over 500€ before my thesis work is done. Those were innocent times :homebrew:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Keep us updated. I've been planning to have a DAWless setup to play with. So far I'm aiming at a Digitakt, but that can change because holy poo poo every month there is a new pile of holy poo poo gear being released.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

That’s true but it’s also true you can never catch the dragon. If something clicks and does what you want jump on it.
Don’t go looking for poo poo in domains you already have covered unless what you got is making you bored. End up with a pile of gear and a pile of posts. Just say no.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Lol j/k get that and the 707

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
New OP-Z module has been released. It's a rumble pak! :pwn:

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z/modules/rumble

Was there any info about this previously? If so, I missed it entirely.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Shart Carbuncle posted:

New OP-Z module has been released. It's a rumble pak! :pwn:

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z/modules/rumble

Was there any info about this previously? If so, I missed it entirely.

That might have the most gimmick buzzwords crammed into a first paragraph that I have ever seen.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of the OP-Z (buzzwords aside), anybody have it and an OP-1? I have the OP-1 and really enjoy it (though my brain and tape style recording don't really get along), and I'm undecided on whether the OP-Z is worth getting as well. I don't have access to one to give it a spin, so I'm mostly just checking out demo videos. Any opinions on whether they are different enough to warrant getting both?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of the OP-Z (buzzwords aside), anybody have it and an OP-1? I have the OP-1 and really enjoy it (though my brain and tape style recording don't really get along), and I'm undecided on whether the OP-Z is worth getting as well. I don't have access to one to give it a spin, so I'm mostly just checking out demo videos. Any opinions on whether they are different enough to warrant getting both?

Hard to say if it's worth getting for you, personally, but if your worry is that they're not different enough, then let me assure you: they're different as heck.

The workflow is entirely unlike the OP-1. The Z is all about the weird, powerful sequencer. You can tweak poo poo forever to get it right, and you can save and restore a snapshot, so it's a far cry from the "Oops, you dubbed over your one good take on this track" situation of the OP-1.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Hard to say if it's worth getting for you, personally, but if your worry is that they're not different enough, then let me assure you: they're different as heck.

The workflow is entirely unlike the OP-1. The Z is all about the weird, powerful sequencer. You can tweak poo poo forever to get it right, and you can save and restore a snapshot, so it's a far cry from the "Oops, you dubbed over your one good take on this track" situation of the OP-1.

Oh that is extremely appealing to me.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of info from videos to see if it'll work for me personally, I've just always gotten good first-hand reports on gear from this thread so I like to ask any time I'm pondering something new.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm happy to answer any questions. There are some other OP-Z havers around here, too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Here's a thing for the GOONPAC album thing

https://soundcloud.com/blackfrequencies86/neveragain

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I was cruising ebay classifieds in Berlin and came across this wild Triton with custom accordion button keyboard, which they were calling "extreme balkan mod":

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

snorch posted:

I was cruising ebay classifieds in Berlin and came across this wild Triton with custom accordion button keyboard, which they were calling "extreme balkan mod":

"Smoke-free home studio, never gigged"

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I think they did an N5 in wacky button keys too.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

HandlingByJebus posted:

"Smoke-free home studio, never gigged"
haha

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Whelp I dove down that rabbit hole hard. It looks like it's one of these modded under an acrylic plate where the keys used to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkUYQT1mZRU

Chromatic accordion-style arrangers are now my new obsession.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Jr8Wfi9hQ

snorch fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 15, 2019

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

snorch posted:

Chromatic accordion-style arrangers are now my new obsession.

He was a good lad until he went extreme balkan.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
yikes

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Just about done with the BonerJam. Synths are in 33 tone equal temperament, 33 seemed appropriate. Still nws/nms

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/trash-to-fasc-week-3/s-3CBe4

We're 3 weeks in, 2 weeks left. Again Mr. Dick asks, who is doing the mastering and collection work?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/qDktizI8xZM

So Behringer is opening a "Synthesizer Innovation Center" in Japan and the dude leading it is the designer of the original Korg MS-20, who apparently reached out to Behringer as a fan. The plan is to staff it with a bunch of poached stars from places like Korg and Roland top Japanese synth/sequencer/etc engineers in order to deliver the kinds of gear that Japanese companies "have difficulty making today(paraphrased)".

Mr. Dick posted:

Just about done with the BonerJam. Synths are in 33 tone equal temperament, 33 seemed appropriate. Still nws/nms

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/trash-to-fasc-week-3/s-3CBe4

We're 3 weeks in, 2 weeks left. Again Mr. Dick asks, who is doing the mastering and collection work?

I was gonna collect them. I guess I will master them too (by which I mean I'll run them through ableton or something and make sure the levels are all even and nobody's way louder or softer than anyone else. If you're expecting an actual mastering job, well....I don't know how to do that I am not a recording engineer).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Here's a ... snippet, I guess, for the Bonerjam thing.

https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/unite

I think I forgot how to make things into a song.

Also, PicoSong is dead now :sadpeanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Finally got myself a recorder and holy poo poo, is this the coolest design or what?

(edited it in, awful app rebelled)

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 15, 2019