Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How many stickers do you have on your truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

How many procedurally generated T-shirts from sketchy Facebook ads do you have? How many of them have a "Big Dog" on em?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This bullshit is now your prescribed uniform of the day for when you hang out at the mall for 3 hours trying to catch sailors with unbloused trousers.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is kind of an odd question. Several years ago my wife and I went to Catalina island for our anniversary, and we went on this thing, which does about 35 kts:

On the way there, maybe halfway in between port and the island, I noticed a Navy ship, way off to starboard, that turned, noticeably sped up and then ran parallel to our course, for several minutes. It looked like an Arleigh Burke, but I'm not sure if that's right.

I wondered, were they perhaps using us as a sort of practice target or something? Or is it more likely that whatever they were doing had nothing to do with our boat? It just seemed weird at the time, because when I first noticed the DD, it was going pretty slow, and in nearly the opposite direction. When our boat sped up and hit its top speed the destroyer turned around and ran parallel like it was a street race.

Here is the lovely pic I got of that ship while it was doing this:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DustyNuts posted:

:chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay:

Thanks everyone! I am alive and well, only minor cuts and bruises, and going to bed soon. Had a lot of "fun".

Box photo

Congrats! How many times have you mispronounced “behoove” today?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

MrMojok posted:

This is kind of an odd question. Several years ago my wife and I went to Catalina island for our anniversary, and we went on this thing, which does about 35 kts:

On the way there, maybe halfway in between port and the island, I noticed a Navy ship, way off to starboard, that turned, noticeably sped up and then ran parallel to our course, for several minutes. It looked like an Arleigh Burke, but I'm not sure if that's right.

I wondered, were they perhaps using us as a sort of practice target or something? Or is it more likely that whatever they were doing had nothing to do with our boat? It just seemed weird at the time, because when I first noticed the DD, it was going pretty slow, and in nearly the opposite direction. When our boat sped up and hit its top speed the destroyer turned around and ran parallel like it was a street race.

You are correct that that's an Arleigh Burke. As for what it was doing, very hard to say. There is a real possibility that the CO did decide to have a drag race with you since the Burkes are known to have a bit of pep to them, and your ship was perfect for seeing how fast they were able to get up to. Or maybe they decided to run an Anti-Terror drill.

Dusty? That's a mighty fine looking box. Congratulations! Get some well-deserved rest!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
are you ready to yell at guys about having their phones out at all hands training, then proceeding to in their view dick around on your phone for all of training?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We had this one boot hospitalman recruit during command Indoc that would play games on this phone with sound just barely audible and when called out by the Commander giving the training said, "Nah, I can do both" when he asked him to pay attention. The Commander just kinda stood there for a sec but just keep going.

This boot (I went to A-school with him when I changed rates) probably has every personality disorder in the DSM and some yet to be included, super weird dude, but I almost admire him. Almost. I'm constantly shocked when I see him in passing at this command that he hasn't been kicked out because for some inexplicable reason everyone just kinda shrugs and moves on when he does outrageous poo poo.

Also, he looks like a skinny tweaker version of Bubbles with huge lips.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Thanks everyone! I am alive and well, only minor cuts and bruises, and going to bed soon. Had a lot of "fun".

Box photo

My creation of this emoji has been redeemed. Congrats Dusty! You have been a fountain of information for this forum over the years. May your khakis be clean and forever pressed.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm picturing a fully equipped wood shop kept around only for box making

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Valley Stared posted:

You are correct that that's an Arleigh Burke. As for what it was doing, very hard to say. There is a real possibility that the CO did decide to have a drag race with you since the Burkes are known to have a bit of pep to them, and your ship was perfect for seeing how fast they were able to get up to. Or maybe they decided to run an Anti-Terror drill.

Dusty? That's a mighty fine looking box. Congratulations! Get some well-deserved rest!

When a Navy ship is on station somewhere, waiting to start a transit or meet up with other ships, a young officer in their mid to late 20s drives the ship in boxes for four hours at a time, often with few constraints. It could be anything.

I think its possible that they were performing engine testing and moving parallel to traffic because its safer and less likely to be interrupted by requirements to maneuver. Ferry drivers are notorious for maximizing fuel and not altering course or speed whatsoever, so a look at the scope would show that, if you need to maintain a high speed for a while, don't cross their lanes.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1172912120557555713?s=19

I've said it before, bring back shipboard animals

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Thanks for the love everyone.

Chief shirts owned: 1 (given to me last night), and it doesn't have any skulls or hosed up animal people on it.

Truck: 0. I have a sensible payment going on a 2018 RAV4.

Chief stickers on car: 0, but my wife is threatening to make a giant one that covers the whole rear window.

Fat/mustache: Not yet, maybe I'll work on it.

The word "behoove" has become verbal poison and I eliminated it from my vocabulary long ago.

I was a First Class for 10 years and I've seen all of the bad Chief archetypes. Now I can finally call them out on their dumb/lovely behavior.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My limited knowledge of the Chiefs Messes I've seen tells me that you only get a seat at the big boys table for your first year. It won't be until this time next year that anyone really takes what recommendations for changes you have seriously.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DustyNuts posted:

Thanks for the love everyone.

Chief shirts owned: 1 (given to me last night), and it doesn't have any skulls or hosed up animal people on it.

Truck: 0. I have a sensible payment going on a 2018 RAV4.

Chief stickers on car: 0, but my wife is threatening to make a giant one that covers the whole rear window.

Fat/mustache: Not yet, maybe I'll work on it.

The word "behoove" has become verbal poison and I eliminated it from my vocabulary long ago.

I was a First Class for 10 years and I've seen all of the bad Chief archetypes. Now I can finally call them out on their dumb/lovely behavior.

You in Norfolk?

When I get out there I'll just call every chief I see Chief DustyNuts till I find you.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

piL posted:

When a Navy ship is on station somewhere, waiting to start a transit or meet up with other ships, a young officer in their mid to late 20s drives the ship in boxes for four hours at a time, often with few constraints. It could be anything.

I think its possible that they were performing engine testing and moving parallel to traffic because its safer and less likely to be interrupted by requirements to maneuver. Ferry drivers are notorious for maximizing fuel and not altering course or speed whatsoever, so a look at the scope would show that, if you need to maintain a high speed for a while, don't cross their lanes.

They may have also been in the middle of trying to draw a dick on the VMS screen and realized they needed to suddenly act like nothing was happening.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

DustyNuts posted:

Time to create a new archetype!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Congrats! How many times have you mispronounced “behoove” today?

How else would an American pronounce it?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

You in Norfolk?

When I get out there I'll just call every chief I see Chief DustyNuts till I find you.

Virginia Beach. If you're coming to town let me know and we can go grab a drink or something and chat about wives and kids.

McNally posted:

Time to create a new archetype!

"Old PO1 becomes CPO with little to no time to advance to SCPO so doesn't give a poo poo about playing games/politics"

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

DustyNuts posted:

"Old PO1 becomes CPO with little to no time to advance to SCPO so doesn't give a poo poo about playing games/politics"

The realest hero.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

Virginia Beach. If you're coming to town let me know and we can go grab a drink or something and chat about wives and kids.

I’ll be in town for all of January. I’ll take you up on that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DustyNuts posted:

Retire a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

joat mon posted:

“Irregardless”

That was a cornerstone of the khaki’s vernacular in 2002-2006.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joat mon posted:

"be-who-of"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

joat mon posted:

According to multiple BM1s it’s “it would be who of you”

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

for all intensive purposes

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

EBB posted:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sounds like a past chief spent too much time attached to an army unit, hooah?

We need to flush this idea out.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 15, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

joat mon posted:

Sounds like a past chief spent to much time attached to an army unit, hooah?

We need to flush this idea out.

Definitely nip it in the butt before it gets too widespread.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
It was always difficult to parse who in the command would say things wrong because they thought they were clever, and who was just repeating idioms Incorrectly.

The difficulty was self imposed because I gave people I didn't know the benefit of the doubt, but still it was difficult

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It was always difficult to parse who in the command would say things wrong because they thought they were clever, and who was just repeating idioms Incorrectly.

The difficulty was self imposed because I gave people I didn't know the benefit of the doubt, but still it was difficult

Let me just piggy back off what Kawasaki said . . .

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm slapping the table on this

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

King of Bees posted:

I'm slapping the table on this

Make sure you get on the horn and let everyone know

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm gonna start having navy dreams again, thanks assholes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

EBB posted:

I once did this ironically. Now I yeet it in normal conversations

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my counterpart and i received back a plan we drafted with the feedback from a motivated first class. i was looking at all the notes saying "i don't know what the gently caress this means" when he gave it a once over and said "ok this is what he means by this". upon looking quizzically to how he deciphered the moron talk so fast he said he learned to speak moron at his last unit

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/defense_news/status/1174069999981473792?s=19

I cannot imagine how hosed on the logistics side we will be in a peer/near peer war

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
MARAD is apparently activating 29 ROS ships at their shortest activation period as a test. There's also the assumption that this will be followed by sea trials. Most of those ships are AMO I think but depending on the manning status, this could be extremely difficult to do. If all 29 are at their maxed manning for ROS they will need 58 3rds to fill out the compliment. That kind of manpower, all at once, will be just about impossible to fill. They could drop a day third and make compliment with just 29 I guess but even that is going to be tough. Word is that they are waiving the need for a physical now.

The first problem with this is obviously the manning. The second problem is equipment readiness, as seen from August when the Henry caught fire. Getting the Hudson ready took all the contractors in the Bay Area and $500k. The Horn took all that over a longer period. Those ships are 40 years old and they expect them to last another 20 years. There arent many newer ships in the fleet.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 18, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/defense_news/status/1174069999981473792?s=19

I cannot imagine how hosed on the logistics side we will be in a peer/near peer war

Oh boy I hope I don’t get shifted from my med cruise for some random sealift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh boy I hope I don’t get shifted from my med cruise for some random sealift.

when this kicks off you won't have to leave the med to participate :v: