Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Housh posted:

Anyone recommend grips or skins for joy cons? Just want some different colour grips to tell apart joycon sets when I play castle crashers. My nephews have the same colour joycons.

I was looking at the PDP ones but comments say some buttons go flush and hard to press.

I've been putting decalgirl skins on all my handhelds since the GBA Micro. I imagine their joycon skins are just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm the other way. I've got it on Steam and I feel I should replay it because it didn't click with me at all and I can't help but wonder what I missed. I didn't like the bullet-hell battle system, and the dialogue was too quirky and it just felt like a pastiche of Mother 1-3. Reading about Moon, it clearly takes a lot from that too.

Yeah, if you bounced off of Undertale don't feel like you need to go back and play it. It's a great game but I think it's definitely a game for its audience. If you're not in that audience and you feel like it's worth experiencing just watch a LP.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm the other way. I've got it on Steam and I feel I should replay it because it didn't click with me at all and I can't help but wonder what I missed. I didn't like the bullet-hell battle system, and the dialogue was too quirky and it just felt like a pastiche of Mother 1-3. Reading about Moon, it clearly takes a lot from that too.
How far in did you get? I feel like it can feel like that at first but once you get to Snowdin or so it starts to feel more natural and alive.

I too hate bullet hell so I farmed the cheat armor ASAP so I could stop caring about any of the the battles and only appreciate the dialogue and story which I thought were more than worth it.

I played it on Switch tho, I couldn't get into it on PC.

EDIT: I haven't played any Mother or Moon tho so that could be part of why it charmed me more easily.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Undertale is one of those games that will live on my SD card as long as my Switch exists. Same with Baba Is You, which i keep coming back to. I havent been this enthralled with a puzzle game since Adventures of Lolo back in the day.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

How far in did you get? I feel like it can feel like that at first but once you get to Snowdin or so it starts to feel more natural and alive.

I too hate bullet hell so I farmed the cheat armor ASAP so I could stop caring about any of the the battles and only appreciate the dialogue and story which I thought were more than worth it.

I played it on Switch tho, I couldn't get into it on PC.

EDIT: I haven't played any Mother or Moon tho so that could be part of why it charmed me more easily.

I beat it once. I know the replays let you do the proper runs, but that was enough for me. It felt really try-hard for some reason? The quirkiness inherent to Mother always felt so natural and sincere. The fan-translation of the 3rd game was great and really resonated well.

The characters are well-written but so many of them are just annoying. I feel like an old man shaking his fist at clouds but what was supposed to be cute or charming was just annoying to me. That plus bullet-hell, which I neither like nor am great at, just made it feel more like a task than a pleasure. The game has amazing music, I think that's what got me through the first time really.

I also hated the one-note characterization in FE Awakenings (Not that Undertale is one-note like that), so I think I really expect too much out of video game writing/stories these days.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Dragonquest XI music is good, why does everybody say it's bad? It's too LOUD, you need to take the bar from like 10 to 2, but it's not like that option isn't available

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'try-hard'

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The Dragonquest XI music is good, why does everybody say it's bad? It's too LOUD, you need to take the bar from like 10 to 2, but it's not like that option isn't available

I think because it's wildly mediocre, though not necessarily bad. People have high standards for JRPG music considering the stuff that has been composed. The little I've heard of DQXI and DQVIII, really didn't impress me for a series with such a pedigree. It's fine, but it doesn't ever reach the heights of other games and other songs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wanted to turn all of the music off after like 3 hours of playing DQ11

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Undertale owns. I do like the Mother trilogy more but it’s gotten the closest to that feel without feeling like a ripoff. The world and characters feel genuine to me. I really need to do the genocide (I’ve done this one on PC before:eyepop:) and pacifist (new to me) routes so I could move on to Deltarune.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s been four years since I first played Undertale and my appreciation for it has not diminished in the slightest

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

I have finished Super Metroid today, what an amazing game. First time I played it thanks to snesflix. I got a 74% item completion, does it change anything 8B the ending if I get all items or finish it faster than 9 hours?

I have already played more than 10 hours of this app well worth the 20 bux a year for Super Metroid alone.

I really feel the itch to play something else in that style now, what's out there to try on switch right now?
I tried blasphemous since it was in the new section but it's not even close, I don't like games where you die in 3 hits. It was more frustrating than fun...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It becomes very very repetitive after a while. It's super old when you hear it after roaming the overworld. Compare to how Breath of the Wild handled it. The PS4 version also used old rear end MIDI samples which clashes with being a high budget PS4 game. The orchestrated versions in the Switch version are going to mitigate it, but it won't solve the issues with the music. I love DQ dearly but the music is probably the series weakest point. Especially compared to it's contemporaries.

There's also the fact that the composer is a highly conservative war crime denying homophobe who runs the Japanese equivalent to the RIAA. He won't ever be revered as highly as Uematsu.

DQ's sound effects are a different story. Those remain charming as hell.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That Kickstarter was the best :10bux::10bux::10bux: I've ever spent.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porkinson posted:

I have finished Super Metroid today, what an amazing game. First time I played it thanks to snesflix.
I have already played more than 10 hours of this app well worth the 20 bux a year for Super Metroid alone.

I really feel the itch to play something else in that style now, what's out there to try on switch right now?
I tried blasphemous since it was in the new section but it's not even close, I don't like games where you die in 3 hits. It was more frustrating than fun...

i was about to jump and suggest hollow knight but maybe not with that last comment, you might not have a fun time with that

maybe steamworld dig? i've heard good things about that

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Augus posted:

It’s been four years since I first played Undertale and my appreciation for it has not diminished in the slightest

Yeah see I read things like this and it makes me want to try it again. But I hardly play on my computer these days. I'll get back to it one day during a lull, if ever there is one.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Did they change hardware for the newer joycons? I'm thinking of buying a new pair, Amazon has the original red/blue for $66.90.

porkinson posted:

Super Metroid fans have been searching for a game that scratches that itch for a very long time. Depends who you ask but for me there's nothing that really comes close, but there are still some pretty good games out there. Like Hollow Knight is good if you haven't played that yet.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
yeah if you're just coming off Super Metroid, your options for games that are as good are Metroid Fusion, Symphony of the Night and Hollow Knight

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bleck posted:

yeah if you're just coming off Super Metroid, your options for games that are as good are Metroid Fusion, Symphony of the Night and Hollow Knight

All of the DS castlevanias are better than SOTN imo. Aria of sorrow too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Andrast posted:

All of the DS castlevanias are better than SOTN imo. Aria of sorrow too.

I dunno about better but they’re all really really good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Honestly I thought Bloodstained was on the same quality level as the DS Igavanias but I hear the Switch port is dire.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

porkinson posted:

I have finished Super Metroid today, what an amazing game. First time I played it thanks to snesflix. I got a 74% item completion, does it change anything 8B the ending if I get all items or finish it faster than 9 hours?

Percentage doesn’t change the ending but finishing in less than 10 and 3 hours does. If you’ve played a Metroid before you can guess what you’ll get.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Argentine eShop is selling a few games for very cheap prices. You just make an account and they send you codes that are redeemable on the NA eShop. I picked up Celeste and Hollow Knight for $3 each and Hotline Miami Collection for $5.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I too hate bullet hell so I farmed the cheat armor ASAP so I could stop caring about any of the the battles

I bounced off undertale hard the first time and I think I’d probably do better skipping the bullet hell battles. What is that armor called?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Honestly I thought Bloodstained was on the same quality level as the DS Igavanias but I hear the Switch port is dire.

Yeah the Switch port is unplayable as far as I'm concerned

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I bounced off undertale hard the first time and I think I’d probably do better skipping the bullet hell battles. What is that armor called?

Temmie Armor. You have to be a little ways in to get it. It's not available at first.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Wildtortilla posted:

I got my joycons back yesterday. It was exactly five weeks from shipping for repairs to getting them back.

Yikes.

I sent a joycon in a week ago and am still waiting. The first time I had to send one in, they just sent me a new one. I figure theyd do that again and it wouldnt take long.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Reality Sinner posted:

Yikes.

I sent a joycon in a week ago and am still waiting. The first time I had to send one in, they just sent me a new one. I figure theyd do that again and it wouldnt take long.

They still might. They're probably way swamped since that Kotaku article forced their hand.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They still might. They're probably way swamped since that Kotaku article forced their hand.

If only we could get popular articles on the pro controller dpad issue.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Argentine eShop is selling a few games for very cheap prices. You just make an account and they send you codes that are redeemable on the NA eShop. I picked up Celeste and Hollow Knight for $3 each and Hotline Miami Collection for $5.

So do you gotta use a different email account? They straight up email you the code? Was it easy to use a US credit card?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

:grin:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

porkinson posted:

Not switch but environmental station alpha scratched my Super Metroid itch more than any other game I’ve played

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

Chain jump I know but how do i get/do sync parry?

There's a blue flash right before you get hit. Hit the legion button (default ZR) instead of dodge.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know I've said this in the retro thread, but, uh, Wrecking Crew is good? Really enjoying this little puzzle game. NES games are maybe not so bad after all.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Beat my first B-Side in Celeste. It was just the first one, but goddamn was that satisfying.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I beat it once. I know the replays let you do the proper runs, but that was enough for me. It felt really try-hard for some reason? The quirkiness inherent to Mother always felt so natural and sincere. The fan-translation of the 3rd game was great and really resonated well.
You beat it once as in the True Pacifist Ending or just the initial neutral route? If it's the latter then you only played half of the game.

I can't say that you'll like it after that, if you didn't enjoy it up until the neutral ending then it's just not the game for you. But while I liked the game and characters plenty all the way through, it's the True Pacifist Ending that really blew me away. I've only felt emotions like that from a video game a handful of times in my life.

But again I've never played Mother or anything like it so maybe it's that experience with quirky character driven games that made it more open to criticisim. To me it never felt "try hard" or forced, it was sincere and genuine from start to finish.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Back in the grip accessory hell after deciding to skip the Hori Split Pad Pro. Satisfye and the Skull & Co. GripCase seem to be the popular ones. Anyone here vouch for them?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

porkinson posted:

Same! I enjoyed the 10 hours of SM more than all the NES games together over the past year.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You beat it once as in the True Pacifist Ending or just the initial neutral route? If it's the latter then you only played half of the game.

I can't say that you'll like it after that, if you didn't enjoy it up until the neutral ending then it's just not the game for you. But while I liked the game and characters plenty all the way through, it's the True Pacifist Ending that really blew me away. I've only felt emotions like that from a video game a handful of times in my life.

But again I've never played Mother or anything like it so maybe it's that experience with quirky character driven games that made it more open to criticisim. To me it never felt "try hard" or forced, it was sincere and genuine from start to finish.

That's the thing. I need to do the Pacifist run. But then I think about all the dialogue I'll have to read, of characters I didn't particularly care for, and worse yet, all the things I'll have to dodge, so I can read this dialogue, and I know it won't happen for a while. I'm really happy it's meant a lot to people as a game, I personally think I must've gone about it wrong since that wasn't my experience in the slightest and frankly my tastes aren't all that unusual, but I do think that my experience with the Mother series, which was great, made Undertale far less remarkable.

I'll come back to it someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For that Argentina eshop deal, do your gold points from your home country work in different countries?