Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Wiz epic has a click rune that they can manastone off of. Also they can bind at their target, port to old world, top off their mana and gate back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

also you just party with people and they heal you sometimes

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So am I psycho if I play a Paladin on Green? 40% exp penalty sounds like poo poo, but Warrior is so loving boring.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

insider posted:

So am I psycho if I play a Paladin on Green? 40% exp penalty sounds like poo poo, but Warrior is so loving boring.

You're gonna be grouping most of the time right? The way party XP is calculated, if you need more xp to level, you get more xp from a kill than other party members do.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

shirunei posted:

Manastone is god tier on a Wizard/Druid with the right gear. Otherwise is poo poo terrible but it's great for swindling rubes out of 800k.

It's god tier on a cleric until kunark.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

insider posted:

i kinda wanna roll a bard on green since i only ever played paladin but on the other hand i only got my paladin to 30 back in the day and i kinda wanna see the whole game. i want a ghoulbane again!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

i kinda wanna roll a bard on green since i only ever played paladin but on the other hand i only got my paladin to 30 back in the day and i kinda wanna see the whole game. i want a ghoulbane again!

Bard is a kingly experience, second behind enchanters and clerics maybe, it is just so good to be able to move that fast and do that many different things and be that in demand and wear plate.

I was the first or second bard to hit max level when blue released... 10 years ago jfc.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's weird, but I think some of us have more nostalgia for p99 than for actually classic EQ at this point.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I just love that it's a full year of vanilla before kunark eeeeeeee I'm so excited for this nerd orgy trainwreck

Sidebar: I hope the original midi music will work in the appropriate areas. I remember on p99 it worked fine at first, if you approach the bridges in north karana the spooky music plays etc.. but some patch seems to have broken it cause when I enable music now nothing plays anywhere.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 14, 2019

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
1)

I've been trying to remember the name of this area, either in Kunark or Velious, because I had one of my favorite EQ adventures there, but I can't recall its name at all, and could use some help.

It was a mountain with a mine of sorts in its side, and you could go down this mine with your party, and eventually you reached some pretty badass, I think, giants at the bottom. I remember this was right after release and it was super scary to the party, because we had no idea what to expect down there since it was mostly unknown territory, and there wasn't this deluge of guides at the time, and getting your body from this area that nobody was venturing into was going to be a nightmare.

I remember we got to some nasty fight at the bottom of it, I believe with giants, and then we started really getting our asses kicked and ported out at the very last second as we were all about to die, which was epic AF.

2)

In Velious there was some sort of an evil ice dwarves dungeon you could go into, a pretty long way from the initial zone that got you into Velious. These dwarves would drop a pretty bomb blue breastplate, so if you just sat there long enough and hung around high tier players farming them, sooner or later you'd get some free stuff they didn't want to look from those dwarves. What was the name of that area?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Sounds like Kael Drakkel and maybe Icewell Keep. Not many other areas were dungeon-y with giants or dwarves besides those two.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Giant mine sounds like the giant fort in frontier mountains, there's a long winding mine going underground with 2 Giants that are much higher level than the others in the fort

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Slim Killington posted:

Sounds like Kael Drakkel and maybe Icewell Keep. Not many other areas were dungeon-y with giants or dwarves besides those two.

Yeah, I think it was Icewell Keep, looked it up on Youtube, looks about right with my memory from 20ish years ago

Indecisive posted:

Giant mine sounds like the giant fort in frontier mountains, there's a long winding mine going underground with 2 Giants that are much higher level than the others in the fort

That sounds pretty accurate, thank you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So with the original classic stuff that means hardcore xp penalties and what not right? Guess that means Paladins/SKs/Rangers will be frowned upon and possibly rare since you have to be a bit of a maniac to play something with that severe an xp penalty on classic.

Not sure what I'll play if I even do. Necro is always fun but I'm sure there will be a trillion of them along with Mages.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

So with the original classic stuff that means hardcore xp penalties and what not right? Guess that means Paladins/SKs/Rangers will be frowned upon and possibly rare since you have to be a bit of a maniac to play something with that severe an xp penalty on classic.

Not sure what I'll play if I even do. Necro is always fun but I'm sure there will be a trillion of them along with Mages.

The answer is always shaman.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's pretty funny they gave xp penalties because they're hybrids and one of the classes is probably the worst in the game.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
The skewed exp tables came from classic D&D, which Verant heavily grifted from. However they didn't know how to balance hybrids against the core classes, so hybrids were both held back and penalized for it. Verant made many terrible choices though, such as poo poo itemization (class gear with wrong stats) and other core classes being underpowered (wizards being a prime example). It's clear they had no idea what they were doing at times.

That jank was infuriating but also part of the charm. If you managed to overcome said bullshit it felt so good.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 15, 2019

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I was gonna duo a monk with my wife playing shaman but she's not gonna be able to play now, so I dunno if I want to be one of the four million monks on day one by myself.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Slim Killington posted:

I was gonna duo a monk with my wife playing shaman but she's not gonna be able to play now, so I dunno if I want to be one of the four million monks on day one by myself.

Be the first to get all the belts!

One of my memories from live was seeing some monk sitting cross legged at the bottom of the little pond in Qeynos, just chilling. He must have had a fishbone earring or maybe the gnome tinker helmet, but I wanted to be able to do that so badly and never managed to get either.

I did spend long enough on Kerra Island swimming around chasing razorfish to eventually kill the named one so my monk could use a fishing pole in combat. It wasn't good but it was cool to be able to do that.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Slim Killington posted:

I was gonna duo a monk with my wife playing shaman but she's not gonna be able to play now, so I dunno if I want to be one of the four million idiots who wastes time on a human monk with Iksars only a year away on day one by myself.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Relayer posted:

The answer is always shaman.

Shaman are definitely fun.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah but then I've wasted a whole year. :(

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
The correct class to play is enchanter. They stay awesome all the way through Velious, and are great at farming poo poo to twink out your Iksar necro and monk when they come out.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Counter point lizard people look silly as hell

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
And eat an XP penalty. I don't care about regen or extra AC when FD'd that much.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

retpocileh posted:

The correct class to play is enchanter. They stay awesome all the way through Velious, and are great at farming poo poo to twink out your Iksar necro and monk when they come out.

For enchanter and necro, gnome is the best race because you can peek through walls and actually get yourself through locked doors without keys like Howling Stone by crumping in front of it.

edit: also rogues and wizards I guess as well. Not warrior because the best warrior is always ogre since they can slam without a shield and then can never be stunned from attacks from the front.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

EVIL Gibson posted:

For enchanter and necro, gnome is the best race because you can peek through walls and actually get yourself through locked doors without keys like Howling Stone by crumping in front of it.

edit: also rogues and wizards I guess as well. Not warrior because the best warrior is always ogre since they can slam without a shield and then can never be stunned from attacks from the front.

But definitely shadow knight. Gnome supremacy.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

EVIL Gibson posted:

Dark Elf is the best enchanter race because of innate hide. Enc can just use their gnome illusion to get the perks of being tiny.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Human is an underrated choice for Necro. Not because they're an optimal choice from stats perspective or whatever but because they can start in Qeynos which has a lot of good solo spots for a Necro and which will probably be less populated than the glut of players sure to be in Faydwer.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Hibajubwa posted:

Dark Elf is the best enchanter race because of innate hide. Enc can just use their gnome illusion to get the perks of being tiny.

I dunno if it's vanilla or not but can't agnostic Dark Elves also get into every city with illusions?

Edit: which is great for farming steins.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Every Enchanter can be agnostic to get the same travel benefits, race is an irrelevant consideration so being DE for hide is all the minmaxing to be done. And I think every race can peek thru walls, tho gnome is easiest since they just kinda shove their whole face in there.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The problem with gnomes is you have to be a gnome

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

There's no way anything beats innate regen for necro, iksar all the way. Too bad they look like poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

iksar look cool what is this. monster races are always more interesting looking.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

iksar males are the best model / animations by a mile, including that new luclin poo poo

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Don't be the idiot who can't wear a PD robe on your monk...it's not worth it!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I need to apologize to my lizard people friends. The model looks fine. Cool even.

The animations are trash. That run animation is just not right and don’t get me started on the 2 handed weapon ones.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I mean, DE necromancers are objectively the coolest looking thing in the game. If they weren't up against that people probably wouldn't be as down on how dumb lizards look in a robe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i always liked erudite necromancers best but dark elves are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Iksars are like the only model that got an upgrade when the new Luclin models came out.