Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s not a must have thing by any stretch but if mine broke or stopped working I’d buy another one the next day.

It’s really a convenience device but absolutely worth it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

* use the dial to adjust your music volume without taking your phone out of your pocket
* use the camera remote app with your phone to see how poo poo is plugged in to the back of your computer/monitor/receiver

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Clark Nova posted:

* use the dial to adjust your music volume without taking your phone out of your pocket
* use the camera remote app with your phone to see how poo poo is plugged in to the back of your computer/monitor/receiver

Also for pretending like a friend is taking your picture even though you don’t have any friends

:smith:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The thing I love most about the watch is using it to listen to music walking my dogs and not having to carry a phone with me. Also, if you just get the GPS version, Pandora will cache stations while it charges so you don't need data for it which is mainly what I use it for.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I inherited my dad’s Apple Watch (which I think is a launch one, it says “2008 series” on the back) when he bought a series 4, and I’m thinking of upgrading it to a series 5. I assume that the new one would be a lot more responsive?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Teddybear posted:

I inherited my dad’s Apple Watch (which I think is a launch one, it says “2008 series” on the back) when he bought a series 4, and I’m thinking of upgrading it to a series 5. I assume that the new one would be a lot more responsive?

Absolutely.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What’s the thread consensus on bands? I have the rubbery band right now and I don’t like it, so I’d probably switch up to a leather, or the loop thing, or maybe that chain sort of thing.

I’d just stick with aluminum/gray probably because that seems fine by me.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, going from an S1 to a S4 was a huge leap in performance. Apps I had never used because they took so long to open going to my phone was easier? Open in a flash. Jumping betweens apps was better. It was amazing.

And the S1 has twice the processing speed of the OG watch, so going from that to S5 will be unreal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not a must have thing by any stretch but if mine broke or stopped working I’d buy another one the next day.

It’s really a convenience device but absolutely worth it for me.

It doesn't seem like it would be that useful at first but once you get used to it, you feel naked without one. I've had one on my wrist almost waking moment since the S0 and I can't give them up now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teddybear posted:

Night and loving day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The S0 and S1 didn’t even get WatchOS 5 so yeah you have good reason to update.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I ended up putting in for a 44 mm aluminum. Going with the sport loop, if I don’t like it I can always get another band.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jose Oquendo posted:

The S0 and S1 didn’t even get WatchOS 5 so yeah you have good reason to update.
My S1 has OS5.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My S1 has OS5.

That’s right. They have the same processor as the S2 so that makes sense. Is your S1 getting OS 6?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

That’s right. They have the same processor as the S2 so that makes sense. Is your S1 getting OS 6?

It is, yes.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

For some reason I have a 38mm stainless steel Milanese Loop; unfortunately I have a 44mm Series 4.

I do not wish to pay $99 for a Milanese Loop. How do you guys feel about the bootleg Milanese Loops on Amazon. Anyone better than another? Also, are the sport loops washable?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

S1 and S2 are getting it later though for some reason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

I do not wish to pay $99 for a Milanese Loop. How do you guys feel about the bootleg Milanese Loops on Amazon. Anyone better than another? Also, are the sport loops washable?

I got a decent Milanese loop knockoff from amazon but the product page doesn't exist any more. I think that knockoff brands are generally fly-by-night operations so you just have to play roulette.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
This will sounds stupid because I know it’s also a fashion item... but are screen protectors a thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hadji murad posted:

This will sounds stupid because I know it’s also a fashion item... but are screen protectors a thing?

No.

Or yes.

Mostly no though.

I’ve had the watch since 0 and workout with it and have a job outside and have never bothered.

Another goon managed to scratch his getting up off the toilet sooo :shrug:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Cases and screen protectors are ugly and make your watch look like poo poo.

Get AppleCare. If you watch gets beat to poo poo or breaks just go get a new one.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

obi_ant posted:

For some reason I have a 38mm stainless steel Milanese Loop; unfortunately I have a 44mm Series 4.

I’ve seen people cut (impressive work with some sort of metal grinder) down the 44mm band lugs to fit the 38/40 size, and people using the smaller bands in the larger chassis. It’s not ideal but it fits..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Those cases that make your watch look like a gshock are pretty cool. I'm gonna consider one of those when I start hiking again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Those cases that make your watch look like a gshock are pretty cool.
Hell yeah

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SeANMcBAY posted:

Those cases that make your watch look like a gshock are pretty cool. I'm gonna consider one of those when I start hiking again.

Of all the adjectives you could use to describe an apple watch case, "cool" is in the running for least accurate.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What’s the conventional wisdom regarding 40mm vs 44mm anyway? Is it just a fit for smaller vs bigger hands? Or is it more the type of thing where some people just choose to pay more for a slightly bigger screen? I’m a goon with no knowledge of watch fashion so genuinely curious.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Minidust posted:

What’s the conventional wisdom regarding 40mm vs 44mm anyway? Is it just a fit for smaller vs bigger hands? Or is it more the type of thing where some people just choose to pay more for a slightly bigger screen? I’m a goon with no knowledge of watch fashion so genuinely curious.
The 40mm is smaller than the 44mm.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
When I originally picked the smaller version it was 50% me being cheap and 50% liking the look. Now I want the bigger one for the display size but having sunk so much money on small bands I’m sticking with the small size until they change up the watches so much the old bands won’t fit anymore.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

cowofwar posted:

The 40mm is smaller than the 44mm.

understanding this is key to appreciating the difference between the two watch sizes on offer

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The bigger watch also gets marginally more battery life

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

With the 4 I went from the big to small, same screen size in terms of viewable image but it's less of a brick on my wrist. Is more comfortable under gloves too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

There's no "conventional wisdom" as it all comes to personal taste.

I have large enough wrists that the 40mm would look very silly on me. If you're a smaller person, the 44mm might look enormous on you. If you really have no idea, go to an Apple Store and try both on.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If you check r/AppleWatch when it comes out you’ll find literally every other post being blurry pictures of some guys wrist with one or even two watches asking for size preferences. I’m sure you can find a wrist that looks like yours :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple Store App also lets you see actual sizes, but I don't think it's as useful as actually trying them on.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The Apple Store App also lets you see actual sizes, but I don't think it's as useful as actually trying them on.

They should do AR and let you see it on your wrist.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I have a 3 with the Nike Sport loop (best loop) and one of those cases on it and it looks dope. Looks like it was made that way. Works like a charm for everything I need. The only reason I'd upgrade at this point if they somehow fit a camera on this thing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Man...I was so gungho on upgrading my phone this year but I'm honestly more excited about going from S2 to S5.

I think I'm going to hang on to my 7 Plus for one more year cause I can't find any fault in it. I honestly never thought the watch would be more important to me than the phone but honestly...I use it way more throughout the day. It's basically my phone's primary display.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Considering the modern fashion trend of watch size, the 44mm is a puny watch. I would advise most people to opt for the 44.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can't imagine going back to the home button life honestly. Swiping up just feels like so much more of a natural action. Regardless I'm holding onto my X for another year and super excited about upgrading Watch and getting Air Pods this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Violator posted:

They should do AR and let you see it on your wrist.
I swear to god I read somewhere that they were, but I can't find anything about that. It sure would make sense, though!
E:

rage-saq posted:

Considering the modern fashion trend of watch size, the 44mm is a puny watch. I would advise most people to opt for the 44.
Most people are not men.