Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I lived near Roosevelt Field mall on Long Island from around 99 to 01. What blew my mind even more than the four game stores (Electronics Boutique, GameStop, GameStop x 2, and EBX which ended up being owned by Electronics Boutique at the time) were the two Sam Goodys. At least with the game stores, they all had different Used inventories to browse. As best I could tell the Sams were loving identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Sundae posted:

I lived near Roosevelt Field mall on Long Island from around 99 to 01. What blew my mind even more than the four game stores (Electronics Boutique, GameStop, GameStop x 2, and EBX which ended up being owned by Electronics Boutique at the time) were the two Sam Goodys. At least with the game stores, they all had different Used inventories to browse. As best I could tell the Sams were loving identical.

I grew up in Great Neck and remember the Roosevelt Field Mall around that time, as well as The Source Mall, which is a literal dead mall (supposedly it's being redeveloped). Good times...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It's really disorienting and strange to work with people who openly joke about how they barely get by, how the butcher laughs and jokes he can only afford things in his department when they go on clearance-- and then those same people turn around and yell when they catch folk picking scraps out of the dumpsters.

That's poverty. It's where my entire sense of humor lives, from the days when a serious illness or injury meant I should probably hope to die.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah, every town doesn't need a Gamestop. Hell, the Pheasant Lane mall in Nashua had two Gamestops in THE SAME MALL. I think one used to be an EB.

The series of mergers and acquisitions that brought us the current monster of Gamestop still bums me out. RIP Electronics Boutique and Babbages.

After the EB buyout, I remember the Fox Run Mall in Newington having a GameStop at both ends and a free standing store within walking distance.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Proud Christian Mom posted:

now imagine instead of leasing space in a shopping center every half mile for a Gamestop, you built a giant building every half mile. the CVS/Walgreens experience.

Yeah, but I can buy games online and don't need the counter person to tell me the right way to put Fire Emblem into my switch.
Old people are just going to keep needing pills and will need to know to shake this medicine in suspension and not to drink alcohol on prednisone days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
CVS and Walgreens being everywhere is also a case of a bunch of small regional chains and a few large national chains having been slowly bought out over the past few decades.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Liquid Communism posted:

That's poverty. It's where my entire sense of humor lives, from the days when a serious illness or injury meant I should probably hope to die.

When I was in the UK I had the NHS of course, but when I was in the US my mother was able to get me on a special insurance programme for children who had serious chronic health issues. Otherwise, she would have been bankrupted. I didn't understand this until much later, but I took it for granted that health care was there when I needed it. I never understood, again until much later, American children that I met who were afraid to play sport or do PE because they were worried about breaking an ankle or having a concussion. Now I get it.

American, Land of Freedom!*

*to suffer and die from trivial health concerns

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Uhhh... not wanting to get a concussion or break your ankles has pretty much nothing to do with health insurance. Those are both very serious situations where you're hosed up for an extended period of time.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

HootTheOwl posted:

Old people are just going to keep needing pills and will need to know to shake this medicine in suspension and not to drink alcohol on prednisone days.
Web pharmacies are a thing and they aren't all shady places for illegal stuff. There's going to be a point where "old people don't like buying online" stops being a business model and it'll probably be sooner than some of these companies think, since it's counterbalanced with "old people have trouble getting out of the house" and "an increasing number of old people are actually ok with buying things on the internet".

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Uhhh... not wanting to get a concussion or break your ankles has pretty much nothing to do with health insurance. Those are both very serious situations where you're hosed up for an extended period of time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 13, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Web pharmacies are a thing and they aren't all shady places for illegal stuff. There's going to be a point where "old people don't like buying online" stops being a business model and it'll probably be sooner than some of these companies think, since it's counterbalanced with "old people have trouble getting out of the house" and "an increasing number of old people are actually ok with buying things on the internet".

Also some insurance companies are pushing online and mail order places really aggressively for recurring prescriptions.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Can't wait to read how my generation is double plus isolated because we automated every need to leave our homes when we get old.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Can't wait to read how my generation is double plus isolated because we automated every need to leave our homes when we get old.

Isolation is pretty much inevitable for most old people at some point, because old age and the associated health problems can do a real number on your mobility.

If buying poo poo online replaces having to dispatch relatives or paid caretakers to do all their shopping, that's probably a net positive for them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Neo Rasa posted:

(meanwhile you'll see like from 2013 to 2014 the top folks basically like doubled their salaries).

"If they gently caress a thousand employees out of ten grand each, that's ten million more for them,"
- The Big Short (the book, not the movie)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Main Paineframe posted:

Isolation is pretty much inevitable for most old people at some point, because old age and the associated health problems can do a real number on your mobility.

If buying poo poo online replaces having to dispatch relatives or paid caretakers to do all their shopping, that's probably a net positive for them.

This ia fairly wrong. Better replacement surgeries and assited living centers are giving old folk their social lives back. If your a poor goat who lived on 11 bucks an hr from 18 to 65 you may be hosed.

People wheelchairing in their 70s walking in their 80s. Its a thing man

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think if I ever get too old to drive or take public transit, my next trip would be a Lyft to the nearest ice floe.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the third mall is?

I assume 1 & 2 is Southcenter and Bellevue Square

University village. Its insanely busy on a weekend. All of the stores are high end; probably capitalizing on that sweet sweet foreign exchange student money.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The Apple store they built at u-village is p cool and I wish I could skate it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

You haven't truly lived until you've gone to the UK and watched a whole classroom of children breaking each others' arms and saying "this is fine, NHS will take care of us" right before starting on the legs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I mean, that's how we teach kids about healthcare in Canada... :confused:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

QuarkJets posted:

You haven't truly lived until you've gone to the UK and watched a whole classroom of children breaking each others' arms and saying "this is fine, NHS will take care of us" right before starting on the legs

I didn't express myself clearly. I had never heard children worry about getting hurt in the UK, but when I was around them in the US, and this was decades ago when things were less awful, that would come up. At first I thought that perhaps US kids were more scared or had heard tall tales or so on, but I heard snatches of kids being remonstrated by their parents for breaking an arm or dislocating a shoulder or the like. I remember when some kid named Tyler whose mother, firstly, yelled at him and then cancelled the family trip to some amusement park because they couldn't afford it due to the cost of care when he broke his arm playing on normal play area equipment. He wasn't doing anything stupid, he just fell.I saw another cry when he slightly cracked his wrist; I thought that it was due to pain, but he knew his dad was going to lose his poo poo because they would have to go to the ER and that was really expensive. How hosed up is it that children are frightened of their parents because they had a trivial injury?

I once heard a comedy show from the 70s where a comedian jokingly remonstrated a kid, saying "Do you know what that costs your parents?", when the kid told him that he broke his arm fighting at school. He may have been joking, but the fact that he made the joke shows that it's something that people worried about even then. That blew my mind, and it's inexcusable that people in the wealthiest nation that has ever existed have to worry about the crippling cost of putting a cast on someone with a simple, trivial fracture with no complications.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah it's almost like unions exist for a reason or something.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah it's almost like unions exist for a reason or something.

Existed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Grocery workers are still on strike in Washington as far as I know. Your posts don't deny that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also irrelevant to the thread topic but I went to work yesterday in aerospace and I'm organized as hell. Unions exist.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Grocery workers are still on strike in Washington as far as I know. Your posts don't deny that.

Meanwhile:

quote:

Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest man, is cutting health benefits for part-time workers at Whole Foods. The move will leave 1,900 people without health insurance.

The cuts don’t affect full-time employees, but will hurt those who work around 20 hours a week.

“I am in shock,” said one employee, according to Salon. “I’ve worked here 15 years. This is why I keep the job — because of my benefits.”

The Bezos-owned company said it was cutting benefits “to better meet the needs of our business and create a more equitable and efficient scheduling model,” according to Business Insider.

quote:

The benefits that the company is cutting are offered to part-time employees who work at least 20 hours a week. The changes will not affect full-time employees.

Whole Foods said it was making the change "to better meet the needs of our business and create a more equitable and efficient scheduling model."

"The small percentage of part-time team members ... who previously opted into medical benefits through Whole Foods Market's healthcare plan — less than 2% of our total workforce — will no longer be eligible to buy into medical coverage through the company," the Whole Foods spokesperson said.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
To better meet the needs of our business which is to make more and more and more money for the world's wealthiest man

:capitalism:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

It's both amazing and not surprising that in excusing their move of loving people out of healthcare, they admit that that the percentage of people is so small that it wouldn't even matter to a giant corporation like Amazon.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's both amazing and not surprising that in excusing their move of loving people out of healthcare, they admit that that the percentage of people is so small that it wouldn't even matter to a giant corporation like Amazon.

To me, it is truly sad that people would be surprised that an entity whose only reason for existing is to make as much profit as possible would do something heartless that profoundly affects peoples' lives in order to increase profit by a sum that they tacitly admit is trivial.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think I will react by not shopping at Whole Foods.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

To me, it is truly sad that people would be surprised that an entity whose only reason for existing is to make as much profit as possible would do something heartless that profoundly affects peoples' lives in order to increase profit by a sum that they tacitly admit is trivial.

The only reason capitalism continues to exist is that people fundamentally don't understand it

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bestbuy on the otherhand has been turning around their operations because of their new CEO. a former hotel mogul, they pivoted towards service over all to retain customers.
Expect Best Buy to be in trouble in the next few years or so, as they've decided the ship has been righted and they're going back to MAKE NUMBER BIG. Also, Joly is out as of last June, but I'm not going to entirely lay the issues at his successor's feet since the wheels were turning well before she stepped up. So they're starting to cut costs by loving over employees, and we know how that goes. Morale is at an all-time low; it's crazy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pants Donkey posted:

Expect Best Buy to be in trouble in the next few years or so, as they've decided the ship has been righted and they're going back to MAKE NUMBER BIG. Also, Joly is out as of last June, but I'm not going to entirely lay the issues at his successor's feet since the wheels were turning well before she stepped up. So they're starting to cut costs by loving over employees, and we know how that goes. Morale is at an all-time low; it's crazy.

gently caress that sucks. I tho8ght they were actually going to change
Guess im the idiot for believing retail entities dont have a hyperfast boom bust cycle

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress that sucks. I tho8ght they were actually going to change
Guess im the idiot for believing retail entities dont have a hyperfast boom bust cycle

they only have one playbook

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This summer alone they have:

-Cut all supervisor positions. These are basically the department leaders that report to a larger manager that oversees multiple departments. Gone. This means manager are far more overworked, but more on that in a second.

-Killed a bunch of VPL positions. These are positions whose pay is covered by whichever brand the position is for, so a Samsung person in Home Theater deals exclusively deals with Samsung TVs. These aren't being directly cut so much as companies are withdrawing support since managers absolutely do not respect the rules set for VPLs. The agreement is that you're supposed to focus on selling their poo poo, so no closing, no going to frontlanes when the lines get back-up, and no hopping over to other departments. While poo poo happens and sometimes you have to bend the rules, the positions were always just treated as normal employees and it was normally a fight to avoid closing. At one point last year they even forced Best Buy to hide our sales numbers so we'd loving focus on selling what they paid us to sell, instead of having employees jumping elsewhere to hit goals. Oh and frequently your sales goals were the same as someone else in your department but without any limitations on what could be sold. So companies have slowly said "gently caress it, we out" and dissolved those spots. Only places where you are 100% going to be in your department all day still have VPLs, mainly Mobile Phones and Home Theater.

-Cut Bonuses. Last year, you got a bonus if the store hit monthly rev targets, and the higher over target the store was, the more you stood to gain. Now bonuses are quarterly and demand you hit rev AND profit goals for the whole quarter. So if you fail to hit profit you get poo poo for three months, even if two of those months were great and hitting JUST profit lead to a bonus that was equal to a monthly bonus. Also some departments had double bonus because they had "complex sales", which was kinda bullshit because it's all complex but it's gone now.

-Lot of pay grades drops. These weren't pay drops, but it did mean the maximum pay you could get was suddenly lowered. Better than the people in lower rev bands, who sometimes lost the position entirely.

-Goals insanity. The numbers you had to do were insane. The hourly rev targets I had this year were on-par with the holiday season goal I had just a year ago. This is on top of increasing pressure for the stupid geek squad annual subscription alongside loving credit cards. My department had a subscription goal for 2019 of 10 a month, not one of us hit that until July, and the guy who did that didn't even get the highest score for his monthly review. We were number one in the company for our department.

-Absurd department restructuring. The Networking and Mobile departments got merged with Video Games, Digital Cameras, Toys, Stereos, and I think PC gaming equipment. And now everyone who was in those positions has to train for the rest. Hate doing mobile phones? Too bad. Now you have to memorize the whole process and all the bullshit of each carrier. And close the whole loving thing too. And remember when I said managers are overworked? ONE manager oversees this mess. And without a sup for Mobile Phones, a department that can easily occupy two leaders for an entire day. I hear my old manager dropped down to part time on doctor's orders due to blood pressure. Yes, the job was literally killing him. Fail to meet credit card quotas as the MOD, and you'll get a phone call from the GM screaming for an explanation.

So yeah, the company got itself back together by emphasizing on the one advantage it has over Amazon, and that's shopping experience. Helping old people find charging cables or giving someone an idea of what router is best for their needs makes Best Buy worth it over online, especially when they aggressively price match Amazon and include two-day ship at no extra charge if the order is large enough. But that's going to change when you decide to gently caress over your people just to squeeze enough nickels to keep shareholders happy, and now your shopping experience has gone to poo poo because you're perpetually training employees and can't form the long-term customer relationships you desire because you don't have long-term goddamn employees. The turnover is already crazy.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So, yet another company that refuses to learn its lesson from its last brush with death because shareholder returns must be maximized at all costs. Neat.

EDIT: How's this affecting the Geek Squad guys?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

At what point is this intentional and not only stupid?

This is what I don't get. Doing it right had very obviously turned the Best Buy around. Why would a board go: Welp gently caress that poo poo that is working, let's run this poo poo into the ground. Was there a buyout or a take over?

Are they sinking it on purpose?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

More money for us right now, who cares if there's no long term profit, that's not money right now, gently caress you.

That is the entirety of how modern capitalism works.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
This is SOP for lots of big retailers. Positive changes don't stick around because they're almost always unaffordable at the scale and profit margins that they're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Why would they bother turning it around in the first place then?