Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elyv posted:

Still one of the best emoticons and I think most Magic sites have it

You have these mixed up if it’s supposed to be loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

THE SOUL SISTERS NOW HAVE A QUEEN

if only I still played Modern

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lone Goat posted:

is the dwarf better than Scampering Scorcher though? because that deck can't afford a lot of 4 cost cards.

IDK, scorcher is better if you have an empty board or just have a spitfire down, but dwarf is better if you have a few dudes and a cavalcade.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This feels like something that was watered down at the last minute but I guess there's enough effects that care about lifegain in Standard for it to produce some decent value.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know what's starting to bum met out? The realization that Once Upon a Time must not be part of a cycle.

Maybe they couldn't make interesting ones for other colors without being busted.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Huxley posted:

You know what's starting to bum met out? The realization that Once Upon a Time must not be part of a cycle.

Maybe they couldn't make interesting ones for other colors without being busted.

Tom Ross said it was a Modern Horizons card that got bumped for more room for the snow theme.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Tom Ross said it was a Modern Horizons card that got bumped for more room for the snow theme.

Yeah, OK. That definitely makes it seem like a whole suite of them would be too much for Standard.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

IDK, scorcher is better if you have an empty board or just have a spitfire down, but dwarf is better if you have a few dudes and a cavalcade.

I think the dwarf is there so that the deck still functions when you don't draw cavalcade. And being a blowout when you get the God hand of course

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

Man, if rally the throne was 2 cmc that card would be lit as gently caress.

A strictly better raise the alarm would be a bit much. As it stands I can see it possibly as a one of in tokens with all the lifegain the deck tries to do anyway. Not sure what it replaces in a deck the non-aggro versions that lack raise the alarms.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tibalt posted:

I think there's enough incidental mill in standard right now along with cards ending up in the graveyard through regular play. A 2-mana "Kill a 5 or less CMC creature OR counter a 5 or less CMC spell" that you can't cast on curve feels like it has a home in Dimir or Grixis control, and I don't think that's unrealistic.

Edit: doesn't hit Planeswalkers though which really sucks.

if my 2 mana removal spell cannot actually kill a creature on turn 2 then i'm not interested

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

A strictly better raise the alarm would be a bit much. As it stands I can see it possibly as a one of in tokens with all the lifegain the deck tries to do anyway. Not sure what it replaces in a deck the non-aggro versions that lack raise the alarms.

A strictly better raise the alarm would be a fringe construct-able card where this isn't.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Just do something else on t2 lmao. Play a different removal spell or play a discard spell or so on. Play it alongside the 3 mana tribal sweeper. The card is super good and warping your deck a little bit to take advantage of it is totally acceptable.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

adamant seems locked at 3 mana. Even the 7-7-7 card doesn’t have the adamant ability word text

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

A strictly better raise the alarm would be a fringe construct-able card where this isn't.

a raise the alarm that you can't get Adamant on unless you have Thalia in play, that's worse in draft because it doesn't play with non human tribal. great design!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

a raise the alarm that you can't get Adamant on unless you have Thalia in play, that's worse in draft because it doesn't play with non human tribal. great design!

Hmm, you would think that I wouldn’t need to explain that part would have to be reduced as well but then you make this yikes of a post.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

Hmm, you would think that I wouldn’t need to explain that part would have to be reduced as well but then you make this yikes of a post.

Every other Adamant card has required 3 and I'd expect basic pattern matching skills from someone that plays a strategy game, my bad for forgetting you're a doofus.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Adamant would make as much sense if it was "all mana" instead of just three.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Every other Adamant card has required 3 and I'd expect basic pattern matching skills from someone that plays a strategy game, my bad for forgetting you're a doofus.

You are a colossal idiot. I made a post about a 3 cmc card being more playable at two and it leads you to posting this.

moush posted:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

moush posted:

would be worse in most cases though

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mom and mom are fighting

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If they were cool they'd print a card where you can only trigger the extra effect with an outside tax effect.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
variant

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

code:
"Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve"
GGG
Legendary Creature - Giant Noble
Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve enters with four +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever another green creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Yorvo. Then, if that creature's power is greater than Yorvo's power, put another +1/+1 counter on Yorvo.
0/0
him big

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 16, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

the dwarf is better if:

1) you have a cavalcade and no spitfire
2) you have some 1/1s but no cavalcade

scorcher seems better if you've got the cavaclade, spitfire, but no other little dudes; or you already have a dwarf out.

dwarf seems better in most situations and when you have a cavaclade and a spitfire, usually you've already won the game and if you haven't three more 1/1s probably isn't gonna do it

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

A 4/4 for 3 that grows bigger and bigger as you spawn stuff? I can see that going really nicely in a mono-green token EDH deck or something. Or as a limited finisher/threat.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Just do something else on t2 lmao. Play a different removal spell or play a discard spell or so on. Play it alongside the 3 mana tribal sweeper. The card is super good and warping your deck a little bit to take advantage of it is totally acceptable.

ok i cast a thought erasure on turn 2. gently caress yea my conditional removal spell can now kill a 1-drop, we did it boys

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
That guy probably meets the bar for a beater with no combat abilities to actually be good in standard right

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

like right there, if you bin the surveiled card, you're at CMC 2 already

Hard to bin a land you need, of course.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

resistentialism posted:

like right there, if you bin the surveiled card, you're at CMC 2 already

Hard to bin a land you need, of course.

it looks at your opponent's yard

sit on my Facebook posted:

That guy probably meets the bar for a beater with no combat abilities to actually be good in standard right

it's super efficient but llanowar elves rotating out might be enough to kill mono green aggro

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

oh ya nvm, brain fart of new cards

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Elyv posted:

code:
"Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve"
GGG
Legendary Creature - Giant Noble
Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve enters with four +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever another green creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Yorvo. Then, if Yorvo's power is greater than that creature's power, put another +1/+1 counter on Yorvo.
0/0
him big

Is the last clause of the translation backwards? Looks like, "Then, if the creature has power greater than Yorvo, put another +1/+1 counter." So he only gets 2 counters when you summon something big.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

little munchkin posted:

ok i cast a thought erasure on turn 2. gently caress yea my conditional removal spell can now kill a 1-drop, we did it boys

if your opponent is doing nothing but casting creatures into your ub deck with 4 three mana wraths, i think youre gonna be okay with one of your spells taking a little while to get online

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the name is Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig, that's the name of the green kingdom.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Lord of Green'nbig

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TacoNight posted:

Is the last clause of the translation backwards? Looks like, "Then, if the creature has power greater than Yorvo, put another +1/+1 counter." So he only gets 2 counters when you summon something big.

this is correct

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

trusting you guys and swapping the words around in my post

him slightly less big but still big

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

No. That x serpent is better and there are 600 four-drops that do great work with their keywords and abilities. This guy is just meaty.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Drown in the Loch just sounds like it wants some deck focused on milling your opponent or discarding their stuff from t1 if possible, not everything needs to be in Teferi Tribal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He's basically a steel leaf champion, maybe a little worse because he can be chumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think Drown in the Loch is good in every situation so long as you are able to trade your cards for your opponent's cards. It's good with Thought Erasure, it's good with Tyrant's Scorn, it's good with Witch's Vengeance, etc. I think if you are jumping through hoops to make it good then you're doing it wrong. Just play a normal UB Control deck and slot Drown in the Loch as a flexible card that is busted the later the game goes. Play it alongside stuff like Hero of Precinct One or Thief of Sanity. Card is just super good and flexible.