Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Question at the bottom:

I've gotten my Note 9 replaced once already due to a faulty screen, I believe I posted about it ITT. They gave me a refurbished one, which I wasn't happy about, but it seemed to work fine so w/e.

It's been a while, but not yet a year, and now I'm having an issue with the S-Pen slot. The S-Pen is getting stuck fast, and I have no idea what's causing it.

I used some tweezers and got it out once, albeit the little retractable button broke, so I ordered a new one (OEM) from Amazon and it seemed to be going in and out smoothly.

Except now, it's stuck again. Phone has not been dropped, but is kept in an Otterbox case anyway.

What are the chances I can get them to give me an actually new Note 9 instead of a refurb this time?

Alternatively, should I just see about trading it in towards a Note 10+. I'm not happy about the 10s lack of headphones and smaller battery, but at least it still has the S-Pen, which I actually use often enough to make not having it annoying.

I don’t know if a way to get a new Note 9 vs a refurb.

I mean, good promos currently to trade in. But that’s up to you man, it’s not s huge jump to the 10 in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t know if a way to get a new Note 9 vs a refurb.

I mean, good promos currently to trade in. But that’s up to you man, it’s not s huge jump to the 10 in my opinion.

Best Buy is offering $600 for my Note 9 towards the Note 10+. Is VZW offering something equal/better?

It'd have to be the + because the regular 10 has a worse display than the 9 and no SD card support.

I'm really bummed I'm having these issues with my Note, because it's been a great phone otherwise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Best Buy is offering $600 for my Note 9 towards the Note 10+. Is VZW offering something equal/better?

It'd have to be the + because the regular 10 has a worse display than the 9 and no SD card support.

I'm really bummed I'm having these issues with my Note, because it's been a great phone otherwise.

Go with the best buy promo.

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007
I am looking to test out the Verizon network within the next month or so. I currently have an iPad Pro 9.7 that is unlocked and a XS still on installments with AT&T. Is there anything I would be missing out on from testing the service with a prepaid tablet sim? Or is it advisable to get my XS unlocked and use that? Any info would be appreciated!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Duckman2008 posted:

Go with the best buy promo.

Apparently I misread my account info, and I don't owe $37, I owe $375 on the phone.

So no upgrade for me :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darilian posted:

I am looking to test out the Verizon network within the next month or so. I currently have an iPad Pro 9.7 that is unlocked and a XS still on installments with AT&T. Is there anything I would be missing out on from testing the service with a prepaid tablet sim? Or is it advisable to get my XS unlocked and use that? Any info would be appreciated!

Prepaid has slightly lower priority and data speeds than postpaid. Probably more noticeable in congested areas like NYC. Still the best way to test if it works better for you. Calls go through the data network, so using the iPad to test should give you a similar experience to phone call coverage.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

JFC I wish I could get Spectrum to stop flogging their Verizon-based MVNO at me with every communication they send.

$45/line for unlimited sounds great, until you factor in the MVNO bits, and having to call a loving cable company for support, because loving lol.

Not to mention that I'm only paying $38/line for good Verizon unlimited.

/rant

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

JFC I wish I could get Spectrum to stop flogging their Verizon-based MVNO at me with every communication they send.

$45/line for unlimited sounds great, until you factor in the MVNO bits, and having to call a loving cable company for support, because loving lol.

Not to mention that I'm only paying $38/line for good Verizon unlimited.

/rant

I have some fun conversations with people expecting us to support issues “because it’s our network.”

And yeah, I also have Spectrum for my cable, and even for cable internet standards they have horrendous customer support. Worse than Comcast or UVerse.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
Hey Duckman, I currently have my family on the New Verizon Plan L and we sometimes bump into our 8GB limit. The Start Unlimited looks nice since it's about $30/mo cheaper and I don't have to worry about the data cap anymore. However, the 480p video limit scares me. Am I going to notice a difference on my Pixel 3 going from no resolution limit to 480? I tested 480 and 1080 on my phone and don't see a difference but wanted to check before I make a decision.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trampus posted:

Hey Duckman, I currently have my family on the New Verizon Plan L and we sometimes bump into our 8GB limit. The Start Unlimited looks nice since it's about $30/mo cheaper and I don't have to worry about the data cap anymore. However, the 480p video limit scares me. Am I going to notice a difference on my Pixel 3 going from no resolution limit to 480? I tested 480 and 1080 on my phone and don't see a difference but wanted to check before I make a decision.

Good question. I’ll be honest I’m the wrong person to ask on this one. A. My vision isn’t perfect and I am not super picky on how good graphics are, and B. I just don’t have that plan so I can’t experiment anyway.

I think the only exception for me is live sports. I would bet I would notice 480 vs 1080 watching hockey on my phone.

Anyone here go from 1080 to the 480 and see a difference on their phone?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Quality issues aside, they're not very selective about it -- they just limit/shape all traffic down to a bitrate that's sufficient for 480P video but not 1080P video. That's <10mbit. It kinda sucks if you're using the phone for tethering or something else data-heavy.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
Thanks guys. I don't tether or do any data-heavy stuff so I think I should be good. I'll give it a shot and if I'm not happy, I can upgrade for $10 more.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm assuming there is currently no way to get more than 8GB on a shared data plan? My wife and I are on an 8GB plan, and usually bump up at the limit at the end of the month nowadays since her job doesn't have WiFi for her personal phone to use. Jumping to even the cheapest unlimited plan would raise our bill almost $30, since our current plan gets a discount through my employer (and I believe the Unlimited plans are ineligible for employer discounts, yes?).

I wish the unlimited plans weren't such a stupid jump from the 8gb shared plan. I've been with Verizon for close to 20 years, but if we ever have to add another line I'm going to seriously consider switching providers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

I'm assuming there is currently no way to get more than 8GB on a shared data plan? My wife and I are on an 8GB plan, and usually bump up at the limit at the end of the month nowadays since her job doesn't have WiFi for her personal phone to use. Jumping to even the cheapest unlimited plan would raise our bill almost $30, since our current plan gets a discount through my employer (and I believe the Unlimited plans are ineligible for employer discounts, yes?).

I wish the unlimited plans weren't such a stupid jump from the 8gb shared plan. I've been with Verizon for close to 20 years, but if we ever have to add another line I'm going to seriously consider switching providers.

Sometimes it gives the prompt in the system for the 16GB plan, but I’m not in sales anymore so I’m not sure it’s showing up still or not. You can always call and see if they’ll bump you to 16 (it’s about $15 more).

Unlimited plans don’t get discounts unless its military , first responder or you own your own business where you can move to a business plan.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Duckman2008 posted:

Sometimes it gives the prompt in the system for the 16GB plan, but I’m not in sales anymore so I’m not sure it’s showing up still or not. You can always call and see if they’ll bump you to 16 (it’s about $15 more).

Unlimited plans don’t get discounts unless its military , first responder or you own your own business where you can move to a business plan.

Huh, they definitely didn't tell me that when I signed in blood a few years back.

They *said* I'm supposed to be getting a discount as a government employee, but I fully admit I haven't checked the itemized statement, I just pay what they ask me for.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Huh, they definitely didn't tell me that when I signed in blood a few years back.

They *said* I'm supposed to be getting a discount as a government employee, but I fully admit I haven't checked the itemized statement, I just pay what they ask me for.

You should be getting a discount on the 8GB plan as a Gov employee, so def make sure that is happening. Given the price difference you listed, I believe you are.

Mileage varies based on who knows what, and sometimes you only get promo plans via specific departments. Sucks, but it’s how it goes.

If in doubt, call the loyalty number that I believe I listed in the OP and see if they can do anything. If the number isn’t there (it should be) PM me for it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Duckman2008 posted:

You should be getting a discount on the 8GB plan as a Gov employee, so def make sure that is happening. Given the price difference you listed, I believe you are.

Mileage varies based on who knows what, and sometimes you only get promo plans via specific departments. Sucks, but it’s how it goes.

If in doubt, call the loyalty number that I believe I listed in the OP and see if they can do anything. If the number isn’t there (it should be) PM me for it.

I'm not the guy who was asking about data plans, just a passerby who, uh, overheard (?) the conversation :v:

I'm on the 2nd tier Unlimited plan, whichever has the tethering and not-crap streaming video.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I'm not the guy who was asking about data plans, just a passerby who, uh, overheard (?) the conversation :v:

I'm on the 2nd tier Unlimited plan, whichever has the tethering and not-crap streaming video.

Oh my bad.

Yeah, your plan doesn’t get any discounts unless it’s coded military or first responder.

They essentially replaced work discounts with autopay discount.

FYI if you do autopay, you could move from “Beyond Unlimited” to “Play Unlimited” which still has those features and is $5 per line cheaper (only with autopay, same price without autopay).

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
It just seems like Verizon decided they don't like people with 2 lines. A single line on Unlimited? Expensive, but not awful. 3-5 lines? Reasonable cost per line. 2 lines? gently caress you, that's why.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Trying to figure out the best course of events before Friday morning. Currently have a iPhone XS, as of this morning I've made 50% of my payments and it's eligible for return & upgrade. I also have $15 device credits with Verizon. I'm eyeing the iPhone 11.

Is it possible to preorder the phone when you haven't fully paid off the current phone? I know it's no big deal after release date, but wasn't sure about preorders.
Is there any reason to be leery of mail-in returns? I've done it once before a couple years ago with no issue, but still feel paranoid about it versus doing it in-store. The phone is pristine, so I'm not worried about it getting rejected, moreso just getting lost.
Also, for the $15 Verizon credit and device return/exchange, can those be done through Apple.com or does it have to go through Verizon's page?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

Trying to figure out the best course of events before Friday morning. Currently have a iPhone XS, as of this morning I've made 50% of my payments and it's eligible for return & upgrade. I also have $15 device credits with Verizon. I'm eyeing the iPhone 11.

Is it possible to preorder the phone when you haven't fully paid off the current phone? I know it's no big deal after release date, but wasn't sure about preorders.
Is there any reason to be leery of mail-in returns? I've done it once before a couple years ago with no issue, but still feel paranoid about it versus doing it in-store. The phone is pristine, so I'm not worried about it getting rejected, moreso just getting lost.
Also, for the $15 Verizon credit and device return/exchange, can those be done through Apple.com or does it have to go through Verizon's page?

You’re at the 50% trade up, so the preorder would be with Verizon with trade in to pay off old phone, so “early upgrade.” Shouldn’t be a big deal, you basically select upgrade and they send you a box to send old phone back.

$15 credit is via Verizon up, then applying as a coupon when ordering said new phone. I would assume has to go via Verizon page.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Duckman2008 posted:

You’re at the 50% trade up, so the preorder would be with Verizon with trade in to pay off old phone, so “early upgrade.” Shouldn’t be a big deal, you basically select upgrade and they send you a box to send old phone back.

$15 credit is via Verizon up, then applying as a coupon when ordering said new phone. I would assume has to go via Verizon page.

Awesome, thanks. I’ll be trying my luck with Verizon in the morning then.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Is there any reason verizon wouldn't think my pixel 3xl that I've been using on their prepaid service for a few months isn't a "smartphone"? I was hoping to get in on that $250 rebate for the bring your own phone promotion but I've just been getting a runaround for a month from people even after sending in info that I was using this phone on Fi before switching.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Despair posted:

Is there any reason verizon wouldn't think my pixel 3xl that I've been using on their prepaid service for a few months isn't a "smartphone"? I was hoping to get in on that $250 rebate for the bring your own phone promotion but I've just been getting a runaround for a month from people even after sending in info that I was using this phone on Fi before switching.

Um, that promo isn’t for prepaid. So you won’t qualify. And while a lot of new line promos count when going prepaid to postpaid, the BYOD won’t. So the only way to get it is to switch your number out, then switch back as postpaid.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Aha, I don't remember how I wound up on that rebate page but I thought it was linked from the prepaid plan page, but I must have just stumbled onto it somewhere.

Still would have been nice for anyone on these emails I sent when I was being confused about this to have replied saying it just wasn't a prepaid promotion instead of stringing me along, so thanks for clearing that up!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For anyone preordering via Verizon online, feel free to PM me for questions and for an online referral link. As always don’t feel obligated to take a referral, I don’t mind helping whether you order via Verizon, Apple, etc.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

PitViper posted:

It just seems like Verizon decided they don't like people with 2 lines. A single line on Unlimited? Expensive, but not awful. 3-5 lines? Reasonable cost per line. 2 lines? gently caress you, that's why.

Just got echoing this. Wife and I are on 8GB shared and rarely hit it, but want to upgrade to iPhone XR.

It looks like V started a BOGO, but that's for new lines only and Unlimited. Am I missing any other way to get a discount or should I just go through Apple so I at least get a high trade in value for one phone? (Wife has 6s, I have a Galaxy S7)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

Just got echoing this. Wife and I are on 8GB shared and rarely hit it, but want to upgrade to iPhone XR.

It looks like V started a BOGO, but that's for new lines only and Unlimited. Am I missing any other way to get a discount or should I just go through Apple so I at least get a high trade in value for one phone? (Wife has 6s, I have a Galaxy S7)

Walmart is doing $150 off the XR on line upgrades when paying over 24 months. Not a bill credit though, so you can pay it off early if you want (after 30 or 60 days or whatever the threshold is).

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Does anyone know anything about the old $25 off Month to Month discount? Specifically, will I lose it if I ever upgrade the phone again through Verizon?

They sent me a $200 coupon off a smartphone, which brings the iPhone 8 down to $250, so my wife and i were going to upgrade at ~$9/month. But if I lose that $25/mo discount on our two lines, it winds up only being cheaper for the first year and bad overall.

Right now we pay $40 for one line, then $15 for the other two with this discount.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

Verizon is really only offering high trade ins for new customers at the moment. Some customers have a $200 off upgrade promo (XR qualifies, 11s do not), but that plus trade in May or May not equal Apple.

charity rereg posted:

Does anyone know anything about the old $25 off Month to Month discount? Specifically, will I lose it if I ever upgrade the phone again through Verizon?

They sent me a $200 coupon off a smartphone, which brings the iPhone 8 down to $250, so my wife and i were going to upgrade at ~$9/month. But if I lose that $25/mo discount on our two lines, it winds up only being cheaper for the first year and bad overall.

Right now we pay $40 for one line, then $15 for the other two with this discount.

This is the account specific $200 coupon. You’ll keep the $15 a month plan. If you put one of the payment plans on the $40 line it’ll knock that one down to $15 too. And if it doesn’t, call loyalty and they should move it to $15.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon is really only offering high trade ins for new customers at the moment. Some customers have a $200 off upgrade promo (XR qualifies, 11s do not), but that plus trade in May or May not equal Apple.

This is the account specific $200 coupon. You’ll keep the $15 a month plan. If you put one of the payment plans on the $40 line it’ll knock that one down to $15 too. And if it doesn’t, call loyalty and they should move it to $15.

That's wild, the $25 a month savings on the line access fee almost entirely covers the monthly price of two iPhone 8's & a 7+ with that coupon, since the coupon applies to all lines. I also had the activation fee waived.

They're "giving" me $600 up front and another $600 over 2 years with the $25/mo, it's basically free phones.

I haven't seen an actual deal with no catch from Verizon in ages holy poo poo :woop::woop: I'm on a 10GB more everything plan and get an employer discount as well so I am very very very protective of this plan.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 15, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

charity rereg posted:

That's wild, the $25 a month savings on the line access fee almost entirely covers the monthly price of two iPhone 8's & a 7+ with that coupon, since the coupon applies to all lines. I also had the activation fee waived.

They're "giving" me $600 up front and another $600 over 2 years with the $25/mo, it's basically free phones.

I haven't seen an actual deal with no catch from Verizon in ages holy poo poo :woop::woop: I'm on a 10GB more everything plan and get an employer discount as well so I am very very very protective of this plan.

Well, the discount is really them removing the crazy high old school phone discount subsidy. It makes your plans $15 a line, current plans are $20 a line. That being said, yes you absolutely have a great overall rate as long as you don’t go over your data , so go with it.

Glad it worked out for you good sir!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, the discount is really them removing the crazy high old school phone discount subsidy. It makes your plans $15 a line, current plans are $20 a line. That being said, yes you absolutely have a great overall rate as long as you don’t go over your data , so go with it.

Glad it worked out for you good sir!

If this all actually happens my bill will be $130 for 3 lines after all discounts with 10GB so I plan to die with this one. I'd love to kick it to like 12 GB but whatever, I've only gone over a few times ever, and they've all been exceptional cases of one time travel.

Thanks! I'm still nervous about changing anything but I think we're going to order today.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 15, 2019

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does the 50% off "companion device" with the Get More option apply only to tablet/hotspot, or would that also knock an Apple Watch charge down to $5/month?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Does the 50% off "companion device" with the Get More option apply only to tablet/hotspot, or would that also knock an Apple Watch charge down to $5/month?

Officially it should be tab/hotspot, but not sure.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

charity rereg posted:

You and I are in the exact same boat. $80 for 10gb knocked to $68 with a 15% discount and $15 per line. That was only available for about a month I think and then they changed it to $20 per month.

Im stuck now because unlimited is so much more than my current plan that I can pay for overage and still save money.

What was the coupon you got? I havent seen anything like that.

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose
So I'm thinking about jumping ship from att to Verizon within the next month or so. Mostly because I've been having issues with coverage when at home which isn't a huge deal with WiFi but not working in a place I spend most of my time is kind of dumb.

I always see a bunch of ads regarding deals on phones and what not for changing carriers, is there anything I need to know about making this as smooth as possible?

I've had att for like 15 years so I'm kind of in the dark on how all this works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just make sure you know your account password or PIN. Should be pretty easy and the Verizon rep will guide you through it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Keystoned posted:

You and I are in the exact same boat. $80 for 10gb knocked to $68 with a 15% discount and $15 per line. That was only available for about a month I think and then they changed it to $20 per month.

Im stuck now because unlimited is so much more than my current plan that I can pay for overage and still save money.

What was the coupon you got? I havent seen anything like that.

They texted me a coupon directly that appears to be account specific. We're on extremely old devices, and very long term customers on this account, not sure if either matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo Duckman, I am getting an iPhone 11 Pro and want to activate my service on the eSIM, but this Reddit comment says you can't use device insurance if you do? Is that correct?