Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

recommending himself multiple times lol. classic academic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

nothing by alan freeman? :nallears:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

"buy my books" - karl marx

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
0 results for "furr"

:argh:

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

i've watched a handful of wolff lectures and i still have no idea about his actual opinion on action/implementation other than co-ops are great and ???

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I get the feeling he's entirely focused on raising consciousness. I'm sure he has many ideas of implementation. But right now the only thing you can realistically do is start co-ops and organize. Once the left holds more political power I imagine he'll shift the discussion to implementation and revolution.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

Why bother writing a book unless you think you're describing something no one else has or in a better way tbh

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao the landlord thread

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

guys guys guys, what if we're too mean to blood sucking parasites

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

guys guys guys, what if we're too mean to blood sucking parasites

maybe if we're nice to them they'll feel guilty and remove their own heads

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao the landlord thread

pyf tankie thread superstars showing up to cape for capitalism

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Serf posted:

yeah I wondered into pyf for cute pics and saw one of them as the last poster in it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
my favorite tankie is george w bush

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Serf posted:

Luckily they haven't found our super secret tankie base, the lf thread

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Serf posted:

stunnedpikachu.jpg

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/shane_burley1/status/1173015905359421440?s=21

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why bother writing a book unless you think you're describing something no one else has or in a better way tbh

im sure they're fine it's just always funny to see that on a syllabus

btw those pyf freaks are mad because they're losing their hegemony over discourse. they can't stand seeing "tankie" opinions even getting a minor hearing on social media, despite the fact all major media in the west remains firmly on their side.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not gonna lie the sly social fascist comment made me laugh, but mostly because I unironically agree with it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that list has a couple really good books on there. Martin Jay’s the Dialectical Imagination was one of the most formative books I read in grad school and really helped me understand Hegel, and Karl Korsch’s Marxism and Philosophy does a great job articulating, for lack of a better word, a theory of theory, like how to make philosophical inquiry useful for revolutionary purposes without abandoning its logical models

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Bernie just pissed off the tankies something big.

Good on him for clearly making the distinction though. Tons of tankies will be coming out of the woodwork to defend Venezuela.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Algund Eenboom posted:

Bernie just pissed off the tankies something big.

Good on him for clearly making the distinction though. Tons of tankies will be coming out of the woodwork to defend Venezuela.

I know you’re quoting The Other Thread but these theoretical tankies or whatever who are somehow only just discovering that a tepid social democrat is a tepid social democrat are a great straw man to use when concocting excuses to kowtow to the status quo

I’m beginning to suspect any communist who isn’t basically Fukuyama, but for right wing social democracy is called a tankie because sanders supporters like this are actually just boring old fashioned Liberals too emotionally invested in self identifying as progressive or whatever to accept that reality

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah when I say I believe in the social fascist meme I mean that less literally and more that most people in the States self identifying as social democrats are in fact regular liberals desperately trying to find a new thing to attach to like a leech. but even if these people really did believe in social programs it's not like we can just turn back the last 50 years and pretend that nothing is different now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1172965688467759107

to be fair, Sanders not being Trotsky actually is not a bad thing

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

Way too many books imo.

a thing you should chekc out, is 'library card'

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He isn't pro intervention at least and would probably scale back the sanctions and economic warfare (lol the CIA would assassinate his rear end the second he got voted) which is better than every other Amerikkkan politician

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
any reformist vying for the commander-in-chief position of the Global Capitalist Hegemon State is going to end up doing imperalist things. this is virtually guaranteed by things like: the definition of reformist, the institutional constraints that any president elected in 2020 will act within, the nature of the united states military, the nature of the US military's adjacent institutions, etc. etc. etc.

but, as plutonis said, Bernie's better than the other options, so i'll cast my vote for him lol

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

THS posted:

what really stuns me though is that as bad as npr international coverage of stuff is, somehow bbc almost always manages to be worse
I thought it was cool that BBC regularly covers African politics, until I realized they don't actually cover African politics. It's entirely sterile models like "The opposition is protesting the President, who they accuse of corruption" but they never say what either party stands for, who their social base is, what the real fights are about.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

we do a caucus here and it usually never comes up because shits decided before it gets to my podunk state, but it was close enough in 2008 that I went and hung out at the fairgrounds rodeo shed for three hours to stand around with other Obama people and get counted- it was something like 9 votes for Obama and 1 for Hillary

idk if I'll caucus next year, if it even comes up. It's a neat system that allows for instant runoffs but it's also kinda tedious when you're not 25yo and starry-eyed about this young Barack guy

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

If you do a deep dive into exactly how the opposition in Venezuela lost all power, you pretty much lose all sympathy for Maduros government.

I was a regular in the D&D Venezuela thread over the years that it happened,

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Plutonis posted:

He isn't pro intervention at least and would probably scale back the sanctions and economic warfare (lol the CIA would assassinate his rear end the second he got voted) which is better than every other Amerikkkan politician

I wear this scarlet letter of a gang tag for a reason, he is not going to win because it does not benefit the interests that have power

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Peanut President posted:

my favorite tankie is george w bush

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

R. Guyovich posted:

If you do a deep dive into exactly how the opposition in Venezuela lost all power, you pretty much lose all sympathy for Maduros government.

I was a regular in the D&D Venezuela thread over the years that it happened,

Had to do a double take at the name/post here

Serf
May 5, 2011

i appreciate the poster going "venezuela is like if the supreme court was to start curtailing the efforts of the other two branches and making it so they can't pass laws" when new york literally just repealed their ban on conversion therapy out of fear that it would be struck down by the supreme court lmao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

American Liberalism is defined by a misguided and technocratic faith in all checks and balances

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Serf posted:

i appreciate the poster going "venezuela is like if the supreme court was to start curtailing the efforts of the other two branches and making it so they can't pass laws" when new york literally just repealed their ban on conversion therapy out of fear that it would be struck down by the supreme court lmao

yeah and why so many unions and union lawyers refrain from pursuing a lot of stuff in court or even to the NLRB because we know the possibility it'll be struck down or rolled back entirely always looms over us

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Serf posted:

Wasn't "but supreme court nominations!" the official D&D campaign slogan for Hilary 2016?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Serf posted:

i appreciate the poster defending ukrainian nazis. that thread is a nice little hiding spot for all kinds of people

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lol

Kchama posted:

Sadly not even SA is immune from chemical weapons truthers. I see people shrieking about Brown Moses way too much as a result.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/4kshatra/status/1173642519382581249

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Raskolnikov38 posted: