Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Big Huski Boi posted:

The great irony of Emery's dogshit management style is that he cannot seem to play the same formation twice, instead constantly reinventing the wheel and trying to tailor his tactics precisely to the opposition and his available players, which only serves to rob the team of any opportunity to build a consistent understanding with each other.

Football Manager taught me how pointless this is. Someone should buy him a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Top bants.

https://twitter.com/WatfordFC/status/1173303715165609990

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

triple sulk posted:

i haven't really been watching arsenal too much the last couple years or so and i remember why

even as a non arsenal fan i used to make a point of watching arsenal games in the early 2000s, the combination of the weird camera angle at highbury + the amazing team made the games seem like magic

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Emery is massively out of his depth and Xhaka needs to be exiled from the team if they wish to even pretend to be able to control a game. Also stop playing a loving diamond with no width fucko.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Emery is massively out of his depth and Xhaka needs to be exiled from the team if they wish to even pretend to be able to control a game. Also stop playing a loving diamond with no width fucko.

It cannot be repeated enough that one of the worst players on this team, and perhaps the single biggest reason our defense is constantly under pressure and making mistakes, is Emery's captain.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
thanks for taking Luiz

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
emery's style was a known entity and maybe the reason he was hired. the complete opposite of wenger, a cup manager's approach. it did win him the europa league three seasons in a row but yeah it's been dogshit at arsenal

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
granit xhaka's longevity is proof that looks and confidence matter. that's literally all he has.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There was an article recently that revealed Emery had to be talked into the Torreira signing because he preferred Nzonzi. And the assumption is that he sticks with Xhaka because he firmly believes he needs a physically larger DM. Because he's a moron.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Who else starts ahead of Xhaka and doesn't the problem then just shift to their dogshit defence?

Honestly curious, I've sort of lost track of Arsenal, but what I have seen/read it just looks like lack of investment from lovely owners happy to milk top half finishes/hope for champions league (sounds somewhat familiar heh)?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

Who else starts ahead of Xhaka and doesn't the problem then just shift to their dogshit defence?

Honestly curious, I've sort of lost track of Arsenal.

Torreira, and you also don't play this idiot diamond without any width, and you don't play Ozil unless you're playing him centrally (or at all, just don't play him at all)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Big Huski Boi posted:

Torreira, and you also don't play this idiot diamond without any width, and you don't play Ozil unless you're playing him centrally (or at all, just don't play him at all)

How would you line them up?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

How would you line them up?

Before today I would've suggested this, with the players we have available:

Obviously Nelson didn't play particularly well, so maybe you could put Ceballos on the wing (where he has played before) and put Willock in the midfield, or even Ozil (don't do this). But really the important point is to have two deeper midfielders to shield the defense, rather than a diamond with Xhaka at its base in a position where we all know he's a liability.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The two 'best' performances of the season both came with Xhaka out of the side. With Mkhitaryan gone there is basically Nelson and Martenilli for the left hand side in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 system. Ozil is still very good in possession and providing attacking passes, but the defensive side will always have to be carried for him. Ceballos and Ozil have both been deployed on the left before, but it's a square peg round hole problem. Same for shunting Willock out there. It is in this sense that selling Iwobi was probably real dumb, but if he doesn't pan out that's as much as you'll ever get for him so whatever. Right now some combination of Willock/Guendouzi/Torreira probably provide your best 'security'.

What continues to amaze me though a year plus later of Emery's coaching/management is that Arsenal seem to be even more incapable of controlling space on the defensive side of the ball while also being horrific at maintaining possession in a manner that also nullifies the attacking team. That you still can not pinpoint what Emery's attacking philosophy is other than ALL THE OVERLAPS FOREVER WITH VERY LOW PERCENTAGE CUTBACKS from Kolasinac is exceptionally damning as well. That said maybe all of this is a huge over-reaction a very poor match early in the season coming off of an international break with their 2nd choice fullbacks and who even knows CBs/midfield and all of this was a throw of the dice to try and shoehorn Ozil/Ceballos/Pepe into the team? gently caress if I know.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
we've got some loving contenders for top clown centre back this year, oh boy

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Eau de MacGowan posted:

we've got some loving contenders for top clown centre back this year, oh boy

Will Arsenal get a trophy for that?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
ready for *checks notes* the hammers vs villa

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

that is a pretty terrible header considering the cross

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

ready for *checks notes* the hammers vs villa

D.Cameron derby?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This game looks like it’s being played at 2/3 speed

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Mike Dean

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
At some point during the first 10 minutes I thought this might turn into a decent game and well long story short I'm at this time not considering a future career at the stock market

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

peanut- posted:

Mike Dean

I swear to God Bobby Moore must've hosed his mother. Weasley prick lives to red card West Ham players.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

totall forgot John "oval office" Terry works with West Ham

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Weaponized Cum posted:

totall forgot John "oval office" Terry works with West Ham

The claret and blue team in this game is Villa.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

oh, right. I assumed he worked with WH because they're a bunch of racists lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gently caress sake west ham now we're in the relegation zone and not getting out

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I had no idea there was any football on tonight and was very confused by the number of Southampton shirts I saw as I drove through town

Anyway Southampton cannot defend to save their lives

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

rip Southampton

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're really bad

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
love a bit of friday foot

also: sain'ts

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I forgot Solanke left to try and be a big time player and has failed to do much

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cedric did nothing wrong

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

hasenhuttl must have given them a hell of a hairdryer

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

relegate Southampton immediately

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

poor angus

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
poor little angus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i dont care if its the wrong sport and the wrong thread, gently caress south africa