Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

kitten smoothie posted:

I've known a lot of people who become managers and then immediately turn into the worst sort of caffeine addicts, because the default format for a 1:1 is "let's grab a coffee."
Herbal tea, scrubs

Green tea's great too if you skip the coffee and pound it all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I never liked to drink coffee. I used to drink energy drinks, but a few years ago I've transitioned to black tea and honey. Mid-tier English Breakfast is my favorite.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

2 coffees a day unless I'm very stressed in which case I take 3.

Water after that, occassionally an orange juice from the fridge.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I can't drink coffee regularly because it's really harsh on my stomach. So tea is my preference. The only issue is that in a hurry I don't have the time to let my tea steep so I take a few sips of black coffee.

darthbob88 posted:

I used to do a commute that was 2.5-3 hours each way, by bus. And yeah, I could and did sleep on the trip, but it was still grueling.
I commuted 2+ hours each way by bus through most of my years at UW and it was pretty awful but good from a discipline and routine standpoint that helped structure my time better. It's been mostly downhill since then for me in terms of structure with lots of moves and being on-call for nearly 7 years straight at this point. Most of the people that espouse regular sleep schedules seem to be forgetting the folks with jobs that require them to have irregular sleep basically. But I'm not on-call really any more (follow the sun globally distributed schedules should be the default rule for any company larger than 3 engineers)

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I generally drink coffee until lunch, but switch off afterwards. I definitely noticed an improvement in sleep when I did that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

necrobobsledder posted:

But I'm not on-call really any more (follow the sun globally distributed schedules should be the default rule for any company larger than 3 engineers)
I do this as a distributed satellite away from the mothership and I find collaborating on a codebase with a team 9 timezones away pretty difficult.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
We have a barista bar at the office so I'll usually get an iced latte with 4 espresso shots right when I get into the office and then maybe a red bull towards the middle of the afternoon if I feel like I'm lagging

Why yes I do have a toddler at home and don't get much sleep, why do you ask

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Keetron posted:

I do this as a distributed satellite away from the mothership and I find collaborating on a codebase with a team 9 timezones away pretty difficult.
It depends very much how the company is structured but distributed-first companies tend to do this better, especially when they have continuous coverage. The human and business effects of sleep deprivation are very real and clear with almost no real solution possible while asynchronous communication on codebases is something that has some options at least. I did alright with multiple offshore teams when one team would come in and review code written by someone in their daytime, and that's a sort of relaxed pair programming. If something urgent and time sensitive showed up one of the parties would offer to come in later or stay later. I'd much rather stay in the office another hour or two later to hash out something than be woken up at 2 am by PagerDuty that I need to do something immediately or my next calls will be coming either from key customers or leadership.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Blinkz0rz posted:

Why yes I do have a toddler at home and don't get much sleep, why do you ask
30-year plan spotted, definitely not Agile. :downsgun:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Blinkz0rz posted:

We have a barista bar at the office so I'll usually get an iced latte with 4 espresso shots right when I get into the office and then maybe a red bull towards the middle of the afternoon if I feel like I'm lagging

FWIW 4 shots sounds like a lot of caffeine, and it is, but it's also roughly equivalent in caffeine to 16 oz of drip coffee. I've had coworkers go all "how do you live with this much caffeine" when I order a quad latte, and then when it's their turn they ask for a 20 ounce cup of drip.

Funny enough I lowered my peak caffeine intake by buying an espresso machine at home. I'd buy a quad latte at a coffee shop in the mornings. But at home I'm too lazy to grind/tamp/dump twice to get 4 shots and so my morning cup is now just a double.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

2:30 PM is generally my cutoff. After 4 PM is almost always a bad time

Same

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm surprised by how few people think about commutes when picking jobs especially if we're talking about daily commutes of more than a hour

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When people buy houses they always overestimate how much happiness they get from more space and underestimate how much happiness they get from a shorter commute.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lifg posted:

When people buy houses they always overestimate how much happiness they get from more space and underestimate how much happiness they get from a shorter commute.

I had a job once where I had to commute 22 minutes. Never again.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

It depends very much how the company is structured but distributed-first companies tend to do this better, especially when they have continuous coverage. The human and business effects of sleep deprivation are very real and clear with almost no real solution possible while asynchronous communication on codebases is something that has some options at least.
Provided this is build in from the start and embraced by all involved.
We were added two years in and I feel like a far away step child.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Lumpy posted:

This is my current commute. By car, with almost no traffic jams. It's the perfect amount of time to start the day with a short podcast or so, and when driving back home it's just right to mentally file away my work to-do list for the day.

Also working four days a week, which is nice. To me this is probably even more important for work/life balance purposes.

I came from a 50+ minute commute each way (often 90+ minutes whenever there was a accident anywhere on the route), I absolutely hated it and came home completely exhausted every day.

(Also have a nine month old baby girl at home, can confirm this doesn't work wonders for sleeping)

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 15, 2019

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

How did you swing the four day workweek?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
This is in The Netherlands, where it's actually not that uncommon. Granted, you'll earn less, but the extra free time makes it a decent trade-off imo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lumpy posted:

:catstare:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sagacity posted:

This is in The Netherlands, where it's actually not that uncommon. Granted, you'll earn less, but the extra free time makes it a decent trade-off imo.

Some employers are cool with working 4x9 and have a 36 hour payout.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lumpy posted:

So 23 or 21 minutes is fine, but not 22? :v:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Keetron posted:

Or 4x10 for the full 40. I know there are some goons on that schedule

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Keetron posted:

Yes, certainly. I'll just stick with the 4x8 though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Moatman posted:

Or 4x10 for the full 40. I know there are some goons on that schedule
I was doing this while doing my last semester of college, which consisted of two Friday classes and an independent study

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

lifg posted:

We currently do semi-remote -- the idea is that you can either come into the office every day (people who live in the city and either have kids or have roommates), or come into the office either every week or two weeks so we can have some face to face brainstorming on things. My take on this is that I could totally take 1.5 hours train commute every (other) week for good house :v:

In the meantime I actually live in the same city we have office, but my daughter is so far small enough that I don't need to go to office to be able to work.

Sagacity posted:

Yes, certainly. I'll just stick with the 4x8 though.

I probably work more like 5x5, but I am still perceived as the most productive person in office. My explanation is that I actually work those 5 hours, and normal people cannot do 8 productive programming hours every day.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When I got my first job as a developer and I was discussing terms with my new manager, when she asked how many hours I wanted to work per week and I said "40", she said: "wait what, there's still people who want to work 40 hours? I thought every dev nowadays only works 36 or 32 hours."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Sounds like another instance of Never Give a Number First

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’d take 4x9 with a 10% paycut in a heartbeat. I’ve only been at my current position for 3 months or so. Wonder at what point it would be ok to start putting feelers out.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

When I got my first job as a developer and I was discussing terms with my new manager, when she asked how many hours I wanted to work per week and I said "40", she said: "wait what, there's still people who want to work 40 hours? I thought every dev nowadays only works 36 or 32 hours."

wait whaaa? Are you in the US?

shrike82 posted:

i'm surprised by how few people think about commutes when picking jobs especially if we're talking about daily commutes of more than a hour

Exactly, this is why I'm willing to come in here and moan about my coworkers and other things - I have a 5 minute "commute" to the office and I own a home. So it's like... yeah, just suck it up for a while I guess.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I work 32 hours at the moment, I love it. Worked 4 x 9 before but that became a slog after awhile.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

wait whaaa? Are you in the US?

Netherlands. Also, it isn't quite true. I met many devs since who work 40 hours.

It's quite normal to switch over to 32 hours once you become a parent though. The guys call this a 'daddy day'.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Netherlands. Also, it isn't quite true. I met many devs since who work 40 hours.

It's quite normal to switch over to 32 hours once you become a parent though. The guys call this a 'daddy day'.

A term which I really hate, like when a woman works less to take care of her kids it is considered normal and when a guy does it, it needs to be made into some sort of noble achievement.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Keetron posted:

A term which I really hate, like when a woman works less to take care of her kids it is considered normal and when a guy does it, it needs to be made into some sort of noble achievement.

Spending less of your short time on earth working is a noble achievement no matter how you figure out how to do it IMO

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I actually timed my commute this morning. 5 minutes and 14 seconds from apartment door to sitting at my work desk. I live in an apartment across the street from my building and walk to work. This weekend, I moved to a new apartment on the first floor and that actually shaved off a minute from my commute waiting and riding the elevator. I do not look forward to moving in the future because nothing will be as good as this. :gonk:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

poemdexter posted:

I actually timed my commute this morning. 5 minutes and 14 seconds from apartment door to sitting at my work desk. I live in an apartment across the street from my building and walk to work. This weekend, I moved to a new apartment on the first floor and that actually shaved off a minute from my commute waiting and riding the elevator. I do not look forward to moving in the future because nothing will be as good as this. :gonk:

There’s something to be said for a long commute isolating home from work and vice versa. If you can pop back and forth trivially, it’s easier to ignore other boundaries.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

There’s something to be said for a long commute isolating home from work and vice versa. If you can pop back and forth trivially, it’s easier to ignore other boundaries.

Not for me, nah. I do a full format when I walk out the door. I rarely crack my work laptop open while at home and can never remember what I was working on more than like... 2 days ago. That's also why I take meticulous notes.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

I work from home 5 days a week - you can set boundaries, it just takes practice.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Okay? Good for y'all?

Have any tips or just vague handwaving "practice" is all you'll consider sharing?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Not for me, nah. I do a full format when I walk out the door. I rarely crack my work laptop open while at home and can never remember what I was working on more than like... 2 days ago. That's also why I take meticulous notes.

Look at this one remembering two days back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

JawnV6 posted:

I lived a 7 minute drive or bike ride from my previous job. Only time I would "pop back and forth" would be if I happened to want to run to the office after hours to print something since I didn't have a printer at home. I went to work when it was time to go to work, and when I left the office I immediately stopped caring about work stuff.

On the other hand, a long commute means that my job is eating up even more of my free time. I am already losing 9 hours of my day to my job(8 hours working, 30-60 minute lunch depending on the place, short commute), I do not want to lose even more time that I could use to do things I actually enjoy. My 25 minute commute at my current job is about as long as I could put up with, and even then I am working with my company to let me work at a remote location we have that is 5 minutes from my house.