Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slots really nicely into the mega-grindy Historic Brawl Cauldron/Bolas' Citadel/Command the Dreadhoard deck I'll play one time, think "Jesus Christ did that game actually take 40 minutes?" then never play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Huxley posted:

Slots really nicely into the mega-grindy Historic Brawl Cauldron/Bolas' Citadel/Command the Dreadhoard deck I'll play one time, think "Jesus Christ did that game actually take 40 minutes?" then never play again.

if teferi is allowed to be a brawl commander, this cup should also be allowed to be a brawl commander

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Add Phage to make it real momir.

And Akron Legionnaire

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

InterrupterJones posted:

drat, it’s a good time to want to play Yuriko EDH I guess

Does Yuriko make good use of it?

...I'm kinda interested.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Osmosisch posted:

Here you go. The title aged extra well. You were also correct about the issue it's in (#4)

https://imgur.com/a/8b1ogFa

@xarph, if this quality is acceptable I'll make some time and go through the whole stack I have one evening when I'm bored.

I loving love you, man.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

odd that it gets cheaper as it gets better

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

evilweasel posted:

odd that it gets cheaper as it gets better

Probably because the more you activate it, the worse it gets. It's just another curve topper for black but I'm not sure it's better than command/citadel. It does work well with self-mill and discard though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

moush posted:

Probably because the more you activate it, the worse it gets. It's just another curve topper for black but I'm not sure it's better than command/citadel. It does work well with self-mill and discard though.

i mean it's cheaper to cast the better it is. if you've got five creatures in your yard, you cast it for two mana and can use it five times before its useless. if you've got one, it costs you ten setup mana and then three additional mana to perform one resurrection before it becomes useless

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Framboise posted:

Does Yuriko make good use of it?

...I'm kinda interested.

Anything that costs 10+ mana and is either blue or black can find a spot in Yuriko. The ability itself is interesting but probably slots into more of a graveyard strategy like Sidisi or Jarad.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

evilweasel posted:

i mean it's cheaper to cast the better it is. if you've got five creatures in your yard, you cast it for two mana and can use it five times before its useless. if you've got one, it costs you ten setup mana and then three additional mana to perform one resurrection before it becomes useless

N.b.: you can continue stocking your graveyard through methods other than creatures dying, so it needn't become completely useless.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No Wave posted:

I dont think they had to make cauldron quite that bad but what do I know.

Well it is the prerelease period where every card is terrible except the borderline broken ones,which are "alright." Welcome to the thread!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

InterrupterJones posted:

Anything that costs 10+ mana and is either blue or black can find a spot in Yuriko. The ability itself is interesting but probably slots into more of a graveyard strategy like Sidisi or Jarad.

Nah. This isn't good in any of those. It's junk.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I don't think the cauldron is good in a format with usurper Kaya and ashiok, dream render. The future, however, holds untold potential.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It incredibly easy to get it to cost two mana so I imagine it shows up somewhere though where I don't know

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

It incredibly easy to get it to cost two mana so I imagine it shows up somewhere though where I don't know

in the bulk pile

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kild posted:

in the bulk pile

:five:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can put it in your sideboard and grab it with karn, then use it as a 12/12 beater for 2.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the karn beating the poo poo out of you with a cast iron pot meta is real

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Y'all are crazy if you don't think that's a playable card. It's contextual certainly, there has to be a creature-heavy black midrange deck or something similar, but the power level is obviously there

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
gonna need a mickey mouse edit on that broom

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh yeah, bet they wish they hadn't blown their Disney cross-promotion with Sorcerer's Apprentice already. gently caress, Disney and Hasbro deserve each other.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Hm, yes, a card with graveyard-based cost reduction that lets you cheat out creatures, two things that have never once been good in card game Magic: the Gathering. Surely this card will be awful and completely unplayable. :v:

Anyway, here's the Drown in the Loch enabler. And his broom.

e:f;b

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The Cauldron isn't a four-of, but it is enough value in the late game that it will likely see play in some midrange creature strategy.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

The Cauldron isn't a four-of, but it is enough value in the late game that it will likely see play in some midrange creature strategy.

why would they play that instead of command the dreadhorde?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Overwhelmed apprentice is a really cool and good card

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

life points, dodging unmoored ego, using in addition to Command, etc etc

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
What do you mean by "dodges unmoored ego" ?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

little munchkin posted:

The big three reasons are saving life points; it can be used a turn or two earlier; and it can piecemeal your threats against control decks so they all don't die to a single sweeper.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

salt shakeup posted:

The Cauldron of Eternity and Command the Dreadhorde have different card names.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I suppose it is true that your opponent can’t unmoored ego your dreadhordes if you’re playing this instead

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

salt shakeup posted:

People will forget the "The" and then you can be like gotcha :smug:

(I don't know how these rules work)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

People will forget the "The" and then you can be like gotcha :smug:

(I don't know how these rules work)

as long as you're able to clearly and uniquely identify the card in question, you're good. You could even say something like "the 12 mana artifact that gets cheaper for dead creatures and lets you bring things back" and you're probably fine

also I assume Command is going to be worse post-rotation since you will no longer be able to get back Wildgrowth Walker and a pile of explore dudes but I don't actually play standard

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It dodges Unmoored Ego by being a second card in your deck that doesn't fall apart if they Unmoored Ego your Command, are you guys for real?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It dodges Unmoored Ego by being a second card in your deck that doesn't fall apart if they Unmoored Ego your Command, are you guys for real?

People really want new cards to be good to the point of silliness.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Toshimo posted:

Nah. This isn't good in any of those. It's junk.

Sorry, did I say “good”? What I meant was “fun to use in a super trash janky deck to play against your super trash janky commander friends.” Forgot to qualify my statement when talking about commander.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sickening posted:

People really want new cards to be good to the point of silliness.

Decks diversifying analogous cards to play around hate pieces - a thing that is most definitely not done in every format.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If historic is a real format then this is going to be in it with Stitcher's Supplier so thats something

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the cauldron is bad, guys. i don't know why we're having this conversation. yes, it is castable for BB most of the time. most of the time, it's a sorcery that reads "2BBB, pay two life, reanimate a dude." That is a slow-rear end card. Yes, you will usually be able to activate it a few times, but you have to kind of build your deck around it, and reanimation decks tend to win by reanimating a huge gently caress-off threat that ends the game FAST. you could play a black-based reanimator deck that plays a variety of enablers to fill your yard, then play this... or you could play something like the Drakuseth Reanimator decks that exist now. which can go off much more explosively (since their reanimates cost 5 regardless of how diligently you've stocked your yard, and one of them even grants haste), and also don't require you to play lots of creatures.

if the cauldron does anything interesting in any format-- possible, but unlikely-- it'll be as a 12CMC card that can be cast for BB. that's what's interesting about the card, the rest of it is trinket text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Kind of a spurious point to make so I was checking I didn't miss something. Magic is hard.