Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Don't ask me why but I was suddenly in a google hole trying to solve this for you. I think the rad cover art for this game I never heard of called out to me.

If you haven't already seen it https://www.crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2014/01/game-134-warrior-of-ras-volume-one.html has a bit more history and doesn't suggest whether the game was actually published, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cheers for the recommendations guys, it looks like 'village simulator' + 'dungeon crawler' is a little more niche than I thought it was!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mistover seems like it has potential judging from it's demo and I definitely appreciate getting to play a snippet of the game early but drat fire the person who came up with the idea of placing a 10 minute time limit with it being this type of game.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Chubby Henparty posted:

If you haven't already seen it https://www.crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2014/01/game-134-warrior-of-ras-volume-one.html has a bit more history and doesn't suggest whether the game was actually published, but there you go.

I had seen that review before, but not connected that with the actual ruleset in the game. The game was originally published for the TRS-80 only by Med Systems, who later either merged with or changed their name to Screenplay, it's unclear which. In the original (much nicer typeset and illustrated) manual it says: "THE GAME is available, though, if you are interested. Contact Med Systems." Too bad they've been out of business for 30 years.

And yeah, the cover art is pretty rad, like a dime-store Frazetti. The C64 version has a weird pixel-art version of the cover and a theme song.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Don't know where else to post this but I just want to tell someone. After countless attempts, I have finally, at long last, won a game of Streets of Rogue. Only by awesome luck and playing an easy character (Vampire), but gently caress, I'm so glad I'm through that barrier.

I think 24 hours played to first victory is the longest any rogue-lite has ever taken me. I'm dreading the idea of doing this again with a character that doesn't have a skill like the Vampire or Doctor. So many runs ended in Uptown because I couldn't complete a mission or even gracefully fail it.

Really fun game though, glad I bought it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Nauticrawl is out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/922100/Nauticrawl/

Be warned though, there is no directions on how to play it (by design) so it might take a while of pressing buttons to discover what everything does. Sound design on this is excellent though!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Don't know where else to post this but I just want to tell someone. After countless attempts, I have finally, at long last, won a game of Streets of Rogue. Only by awesome luck and playing an easy character (Vampire), but gently caress, I'm so glad I'm through that barrier.

I think 24 hours played to first victory is the longest any rogue-lite has ever taken me. I'm dreading the idea of doing this again with a character that doesn't have a skill like the Vampire or Doctor. So many runs ended in Uptown because I couldn't complete a mission or even gracefully fail it.

Really fun game though, glad I bought it.

Is that with or without Big Quest completion?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

AkumaHokoru posted:

there is a rougelikes thread discord?

Here is a invite to the roguelike server, it's not just goons but it's chill.

Phrosphor posted:

Cheers for the recommendations guys, it looks like 'village simulator' + 'dungeon crawler' is a little more niche than I thought it was!

KeeperRL maybe? It's cool and good even if it's pretty light on dungeon crawler part of your requirement.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xik posted:

KeeperRL maybe? It's cool and good even if it's pretty light on dungeon crawler part of your requirement.
Not sure that really counts as a roguelike at all, even if it's in the name. KeeperRL is an effort to recreate the gameplay of Dungeon Keeper in a Dwarf Fortress-ish format, which means it kind of looks like a roguelike, but is really more of a straight RTS game.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Cardiovorax posted:

Not sure that really counts as a roguelike at all, even if it's in the name. KeeperRL is an effort to recreate the gameplay of Dungeon Keeper in a Dwarf Fortress-ish format, which means it kind of looks like a roguelike, but is really more of a straight RTS game.

It's been a while since I played, but you could control your hero and go off into other maps, there are (very simple) dungeons and different types of overworld areas. There was also like an adventure type mode where it's more like a traditional roguelike with a proc gen world but it also includes other player uploaded keeps.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
When I played it, the impression I got was more DK-style "possessing a minion to lead squad-level assaults against enemy dungeons," which I guess is dungeon crawling in the loosest sense... but it leans heavily towards the strategy side of it and I think it's probably not quite in the spirit of the request.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I guess so, it's is like DK and Dungeons 2/3 with squads except it switches into turn based mode when you take control and you can use your main "keeper", so feels more like a roguelike.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Phrosphor posted:

After we spent literally years trying to make it work in Sproggiwood before settling on a very reduced town mode, I can say with some certainty that it is not a trivial design combo to pull off.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ecavalli posted:

Is that with or without Big Quest completion?

With. Though I dread to think how it would have gone had I not lucked into the vampire abilities that let you eat people when full and eat without alerting others. That last one was a godsend for Uptown, I was able to just walk in and murder targets in full view of others.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Its fairly offtopic, but since it's been mentioned, I'd recommend staying away from Dungeons3, it's basically DK2 but worse, with added super-terrible RTS elements (think a-move) for 50% of the game.

That Dungeon RL otoh, looks fun.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Unormal posted:

After we spent literally years trying to make it work in Sproggiwood before settling on a very reduced town mode, I can say with some certainty that it is not a trivial design combo to pull off.

What's the patreon goal required for a Caves of Qud: Dwarf Fortress spinoff.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Vertigon posted:

Hey all: I've been a lurker in this thread for a long time, but I haven't posted in a good while...

I've mostly been heads down working on my Roguelike Auto Fire (although I hear I might have strayed far enough to be a Roguelikelike, but it's still got a Roguish heart). It's been continuing progress steadily over the last several years, culminating with a full-time stint over the summer so I could show at Seattle Indies Expo adjacent to PAX. I've had some help with development by SA haunts Madjack and Zircon... and they gave me the business for not chatting more with you diehards here. Soooooo...

If you haven't played it before, Auto Fire is a turn-based car combat Roguelike with an overworld, car customization, loot and so on. If you have played it before, check out the latest version with gamepad controls and let me know what you think... I'm continually working on usability.

It's still free on Itch to play now or wishlistable on Steam if you'd rather wait for it to get done. :-) We're also building up a Discord server for talking all things cars-with-guns. Your feedback is always welcome!

This is drat fun! I'm not sure I've ever seen more visceral vehicle turn based combat so cheers for nailing that. Seems like you could move your code right on to sailing ships and have a high seas pirate roguelike next! This seems pretty proper roguelike to me too. It meets at least 1/2 the rules the Germans came up with.

I played a little with the controller and it seemed fine. My controller cursor seemed to get lost in a couple menus but that's always a pain with Unity UI stuff. I jiggled the mouse and could start moving through menus with the controller again. If you are using the Unity default input stuff you should consider grabbing Rewired or Incontrol from the store.

I think picking up stuff after you blow someone up is a little bit of a pain. I'd rather auto-hoover up stuff from a couple squares away or have enemies drop one loot bag rather than multiple.

It looks pretty good in play, but your screenshots aren't terrifically eye catching. I know the apocalypse is usually drab and all, but I'd consider at least one terrain set with a bit more pop than the city/dirt ones you are showing off at the moment.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serephina posted:

Its fairly offtopic, but since it's been mentioned, I'd recommend staying away from Dungeons3, it's basically DK2 but worse, with added super-terrible RTS elements (think a-move) for 50% of the game.

That Dungeon RL otoh, looks fun.
War for the Overworld is pretty good, though, and even has the same narrator as DK1 and 2. Although as slightly more of an actual character in his own right.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Reveilled posted:

With. Though I dread to think how it would have gone had I not lucked into the vampire abilities that let you eat people when full and eat without alerting others. That last one was a godsend for Uptown, I was able to just walk in and murder targets in full view of others.

Wow. I’ve beaten the game with a few characters, but never with Big Quest too. And yeah, that They’re Just Kissing perk for the Vampire is almost too good.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

We've discussed Nowhere Prophet before! It's a good deck builder, with an interesting setting that I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
MISTOVER's demo is literally a convention floor demo by and large---so the time limit makes ample enough sense. A meatier "normal" demo is coming either with or sometime before the actual full release in roughly a month.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon, which we still need the sequel to brought over, crossed with Darkest Dungeon is a hell of a pairing in terms of Niche niche and popular sensation---combined with their own twists on it(while hopefully avoiding the Gigantic pitfalls that ultimately undermined the latter), all signs point to it being a winner unless something weird happens.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Noita looks great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0We8a8AFPp8

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
the 24th cant come fast enough. gimme dat noita.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The new Risk of Rain Update is out for PC

https://twitter.com/RiskofRain/status/1173974893634830337

Gonna give it a try over lunch.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Captain Foo posted:

Escape from Aeon is a sci-fi goon-dev Rogelio roguelike that's in early development that's given pretty good impressions so far

Hey thanks for the kind words! We're bad at doing social media updates but still constantly working on it pretty much every evening (though keep in mind it's a side project for two full-time working people)
The last month or so has been focused on getting proper saving-loading working. Previously had just "load back to state at start of floor" - which was relatively straightforward thanks to seeded level generation. Very happy to get it working though and hoping it'll stay stable going forward.

We really should update our demo...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Xik posted:

Here is a invite to the roguelike server, it's not just goons but it's chill.

Keeperrl is pretty good. Not sure if there's anything else like it out there.

As an FYI, the game's getting mod support next update. It also has several built in mods from community members. One of which adds in all sorts of Keeper types (Ranging from a mechanical oriented "Gnome Keeper", to an undead/vampire oriented dungeon, to expanding the base type by a lot, to adding in the vanilla good guy factions as playable, etc, etc.), adds a ton of new monster types and civs, and generally just expands everything.

It also got updates that allow for infinite replayability. One adds in mineable z levels (which the aforementioned mod also does a bit with) and has a post game mode where you get attacked forever after conquering all the enemies on the map.

The next update is reducing the current RTS "build bigger goons to win" play in favor of more random elements like new craftable loot you get from slaying monsters.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 17, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BexGu posted:

The new Risk of Rain Update is out for PC

https://twitter.com/RiskofRain/status/1173974893634830337

Gonna give it a try over lunch.

i never played the original but i'm a fiend for this game so i'm excited.

Vertigon
May 22, 2016

Subtlety is overrated.

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is drat fun! I'm not sure I've ever seen more visceral vehicle turn based combat so cheers for nailing that. Seems like you could move your code right on to sailing ships and have a high seas pirate roguelike next! This seems pretty proper roguelike to me too. It meets at least 1/2 the rules the Germans came up with.

I think picking up stuff after you blow someone up is a little bit of a pain. I'd rather auto-hoover up stuff from a couple squares away or have enemies drop one loot bag rather than multiple.
Thanks for the feedback! Roguelike-wise I started the project as a 7DRL, and have since added the overworld and noodled the turn model slightly which dings it slightly on the Berlin meter (but no ASCII for me!). Regardless, Roguelikes had the exact pacing and complexity that fit what I wanted out of car combat.

Picking stuff up is totally a pain, which is why activating the radar (R key) will also pick up items adjacent to you. I need to figure out how to better train that, or I may just switch to auto-nabbing anything adjacent... It's all about making people understand what they are picking up.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I played a little with the controller and it seemed fine. My controller cursor seemed to get lost in a couple menus but that's always a pain with Unity UI stuff. I jiggled the mouse and could start moving through menus with the controller again. If you are using the Unity default input stuff you should consider grabbing Rewired or Incontrol from the store.

It looks pretty good in play, but your screenshots aren't terrifically eye catching. I know the apocalypse is usually drab and all, but I'd consider at least one terrain set with a bit more pop than the city/dirt ones you are showing off at the moment.
My UI is pretty bad yet, both visually and functionally. Built-in controller input of Unity UI is the worst, I gotta take a serious shot at that coming up.

My environments are my Achilles heel! Purchased assets are only getting me so far, so I'm trying to scare up some more art support... it's pretty critical to selling a slightly off-kilter concept. :-)

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Angryhead posted:

We really should update our demo...

*looks into camera, sad trombone*

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Anyone have a easy way to unlock all of Nova Drift? I've chewed through the first 40 account levels and I'm ready to skip the rest of the unlock system so I can just noodle around with builds.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Win a few runs and you'll blow past all the unlocks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anyone gotten a chance to play with loader yet in risk of rain 2? her kit sounds neat.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

anyone gotten a chance to play with loader yet in risk of rain 2? her kit sounds neat.

loader is a dude unless they changed it to a woman in part 2. their kit was movement heavy but that wasn't super useful in 1. here in 2 if the cooldowns are better loader is gonna be absurd.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think Loader has a specific gender in RoR 1. The linked patch notes there call Loader in RoR 2 female though.

Unlocking and choosing different skills sounds like a great way to give the game more replayability.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Loader in RoR 1 involved smacking into people constantly and mostly being invincible all the time.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Vertigon posted:

My environments are my Achilles heel! Purchased assets are only getting me so far, so I'm trying to scare up some more art support... it's pretty critical to selling a slightly off-kilter concept. :-)

Your explosions are pretty great and I think your cars/FX artwork are fine. The environments are definitely the thing that could use some work.

You can make purchased assets work a bit better by spending some time on their textures. Plenty of successful indie games use purchased assets but usually they paint new textures (which saves having to do meshes/uvs/animations). Substance Painter is fairly cheap and can make it easy to crank out a new texture even if you don't have 3D modeling skills. Tweaking your color grading makes a huge impact as well.

You already have a pretty killer implementation of your gameplay concept here which is a hell of a hill to climb. Being constrained by UI and environments ain't so bad.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Unlocking and choosing different skills sounds like a great way to give the game more replayability.

Unfortunately they're locked behind some obnoxious achievements. Also they decided that base hp regen outside drizzle was bugged and cut it down to nothing.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 18, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Void bastards tydy DLC is out. haven't seen a tydy ship yet but it feels really good to play this again. the game actually starts a lot harder now that they removed the first ship being a preset one that gives you a buzz box to start with the bushwhacker, so you might have nothing but a firearm for a few ships. Thought I'd finally get my first death when I had 0 ammo and 20% health on the very first ship due to super unlucky turret locations, but I pulled through and things are looking up. and luckily that first ship was a WCG ship to get rid of my starting quirk of "25% of the time you fly to the wrong place on the star map" :whitewater:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finally got to a tydy ship and then a junk squid ate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigon
May 22, 2016

Subtlety is overrated.
Void Bastards just keeps on giving. Shows that you don't need a ton of level procgen to make something compelling and repeatable.