Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Beo posted:

Brisket... would I be ok just using ziploc bags to start?

Are there any other accessories worth getting?

Ziplock bags should be fine although if you are doing a whole brisket it is not going to fit into 1 bag and you will likely need to separate it. Not only taking off the point but you will need to split the flat to fit. For longer cooks like the brisket there is more of a risk of failure on the bag. You can mitigate this by either double bagging or if you have a vac sealer go that route. If you do the ziplock be careful yanking the bag out of the cooler because I have had seems split on me while pulling things out.

The only other 'accessory' I would suggest if you are doing long cooks like BBQ is investing is something other than a metal pot to do your cooks. I myself use this cooler with a hole cut in the top of the lid or pick up one of the crambo with the sous vide lids. This improves efficiency and prevents evaporation. You will need to cover the top of you cooking vessel with a lid or plastic wrap.
Note in the customer pictures you can see how people modified it.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-24-Can-Stacker-Portable-Cooler/dp/B002BMCLMU/ref

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Would this work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GQV5C32/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1E9MH2U11V469&psc=1

or should I just buy a cooler and the right size hole saw

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Beo posted:

Would this work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GQV5C32/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1E9MH2U11V469&psc=1

I have something similar for my Rubbermaid bin, hard plastic but same manufacturer, and it's fantastic. Plastic wrap even does the job, it's not too hard to prevent evaporation from a closed container, so this thing should work great.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Yeah that looks like it would work. Although it seems kind of small for a whole brisket. Going up in size on your container is going to start to push your circulator to it's recommended bath size based on it's wattage which is 5 gallons for the nano. Otherwise it's got a lid and will fit your device.

A cooler for me works because I have the space and I'm constantly doing big cooks like pulled pork, pork ribs, brisket or like 10 steaks all at one. It's probably over kill for most people.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

A lot of people go with Cambro (big industrial tupperware) from your local Cash n Carry as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beo posted:

Would this work

That looks fine, its similar ot what I use. I also have the 21 quart or whatever cambro for bigger cooks. Def go for a clear container though, so you can see if your food is floating or sprung a leak or something.

Zip loc is fine, but beware you may want to get a vac sealer for longer cooks (peace of mind) or veggies (the high temp has been known to make the seams fail)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, did anyone catch the new good eats on immersion circulators? AB and I agree that as cool as the Joule is, an IC that has to be controlled IoT is BS.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also, did anyone catch the new good eats on immersion circulators? AB and I agree that as cool as the Joule is, an IC that has to be controlled IoT is BS.

Haven't watched it but I completely agree. Honestly even the Bluetooth on the Anova's useless, just hit the drat buttons if you want to cook something.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Thanks for the tips I switched to a clear plastic container and I am thinking about getting some big silicone bags for the longer cooks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I puddle cooked some steaks for the family last night. I was at my parents' house, and hoo boy, searing steaks on a pan on the stove is really not pleasant when you don't have a hood venting to the outside!

"Can you make mine medium instead?"
"I don't know how" :shrug:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

canyoneer posted:

I puddle cooked some steaks for the family last night. I was at my parents' house, and hoo boy, searing steaks on a pan on the stove is really not pleasant when you don't have a hood venting to the outside!

"Can you make mine medium instead?"
"I don't know how" :shrug:

The different doneness problem with sous vide is solved by either using two set-ups or labeling some of your bags as more done, cooking them first at the higher temp, dropping the temp, and then letting them just chill while the others cook.
That second method is how you handle white/dark meat with poultry, as well. Dark meat gets to a higher temp and cooks as needed, temp gets dropped to white meat levels, and white meat gets added. Everything comes out at the same temp, but the dark meat was at a higher temp previously so it's doneness was "set" there, in essence.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Beo posted:

Thinking about getting into sous vide.

Leaning toward the anova nano(based on a wirecutter review) and this.

Plan to try it out with some brisket and inviting some people over to my new place for a housewarming, would I be ok just using ziploc bags to start?

Are there any other accessories worth getting?

ey yo if you're doing the serious eats brisket you probably want to start with literally, like, half the amount of kosher salt he calls for by weight, you can always salt to taste later

i like salt a lot and that poo poo was almost inedible the first time i made it

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

canyoneer posted:

I'm redoing my range hood partially because of the smoke from searing. My existing hood is a cheap POS which vents through a 3" flexible duct through a soffit. I just picked up a nice high CFM hood and will be venting through an exterior wall using a 6" duct. No more setting off the smoke detectors!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

I'm redoing my range hood partially because of the smoke from searing. My existing hood is a cheap POS which vents through a 3" flexible duct through a soffit. I just picked up a nice high CFM hood and will be venting through an exterior wall using a 6" duct. No more setting off the smoke detectors!

No kidding.you could document and sell classes on how to do this to diy-culinary sorts and make bank.

The number of people I've run into who sous vide, or even just cook traditionally, whom try and sear/brown things on medium heat only, and get mediocre results rather than properly blasting at maximum heat is depressing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah since my vent good is poo poo and I can't mod it to vent to the outside I am currently planning a "cooking desk" on the balcony. I bought a cheap standalone induction burner and that steak was so much better when the pan was really smoking hot. Not that I didn't do it in my kitchen before but good God the smell afterwards....

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My propane grill had a burner, and I used that when I could. I've junked that grill so I'm back to searing indoors.

I do have a Searzall, but honestly I prefer a piping hot cast iron pan with canola oil and butter added just before the sear so the butter browns but doesn't burn. I find the crust from the searzall to be thin and it's easy for high points to get charred before you have an even sear elsewhere. I tried using a charcoal chimney for a sear, but I must overdid it because it went beyond sear into char.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Give ghee a shot. I don't understand why it isn't the #1 go-to for these sears

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

It really is #1. Trader Joe's has good prices on it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I've literally never had good results with SV brisket and I've tried three times, once with USDA prime and it still came out dry as hell

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

AnonSpore posted:

I've literally never had good results with SV brisket and I've tried three times, once with USDA prime and it still came out dry as hell

what recipes or temps/times are you using?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got a cut I haven't cooked before, or even heard about. I had a hard time finding a name for it in English actually, had to go through Latin. Triceps brachii, a.k.a. clod heart, shoulder center, shoulder top (those are two different parts of the same muscle I think) or ranch cut. It's a nice 2 lb square sided rectangular piece, so I think I'll just vizzle it whole, sear it and cut slices. Anyone have any experience with it? Looking for tips for cooking time, temp etc. Think I'll do 135F for 5-6 hours, but perhaps it needs more.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Definitely a longer. Central Texas is known for that cut but it does cook on the smoker for about 4 hours. I would aim for 10-12 hours and presear it. A simple salt and pepper rub would be your best bet

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Definitely a longer. Central Texas is known for that cut but it does cook on the smoker for about 4 hours. I would aim for 10-12 hours and presear it. A simple salt and pepper rub would be your best bet

Gotcha. Will throw in puddle when I wake up and then aim for a late-ish dinner.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
24 hour chuck/steak will be ready for the 600 degree grill this evening. Cannot wait.
Jammed rosemary, garlic, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper into the package.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Ghee has definitely helped me step up my sear game.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I know ghee is clarified butter, but out of sheer curiosity, what's the property that makes it better for searing?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know ghee is clarified butter, but out of sheer curiosity, what's the property that makes it better for searing?

it doesnt have milk solids in it that will burn at the high heat required for searing

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

High smoke point (~250C)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Many people use oil for a high smoke point and then finish with butter for taste. Ghee has both a high smoke point and butter taste.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also come on what a great name. “OK, time for the gheeeeeeeeeee!”

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I've started to see pre-prepared ghee at my local grocery store in jars but I'm waiting for them to make a viscous version that gets extruded from a nozzle on an aerosol can: Ghee-wiz.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

poeticoddity posted:

I've started to see pre-prepared ghee at my local grocery store in jars but I'm waiting for them to make a viscous version that gets extruded from a nozzle on an aerosol can: Ghee-wiz.

I'm going to try a fermented tomato and cabbage recipe so I can throw them at you

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Ghee is easy as poo poo to make.

Melt a bunch of butter over medium heat. Keep it there until it foams. Keep it there for longer until it starts to boil. Keep it there for longer until the boiling stops, which means the water's been driven off. You don't want to burn the milk solids, so lower the heat if you need to to stop that from happening, but it's fine if they get a bit brown. Cool it, strain it into something. You have ghee. No need to spend extra money buying premade ghee when it's so easy to make.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Phanatic posted:

Ghee is easy as poo poo to make.

Melt a bunch of butter over medium heat. Keep it there until it foams. Keep it there for longer until it starts to boil. Keep it there for longer until the boiling stops, which means the water's been driven off. You don't want to burn the milk solids, so lower the heat if you need to to stop that from happening, but it's fine if they get a bit brown. Cool it, strain it into something. You have ghee. No need to spend extra money buying premade ghee when it's so easy to make.

You can get it at Trader Joe’s for dirt cheap though-totally worth it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Costco has it by the tub.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

toplitzin posted:

Costco has it by the tub.

Costco has everything by the tub.

Ghee is loving awesome though, worth the space in the fridge for sure!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Giving pickles a try using the chefsteps recipe. Added some pickling spice, dill, garlic cloves and sliced jalapeño to the brine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Imo the correct way to buy ghee is to go to an Indian grocery store and get a jar so big it'll last you like 5 years. Also, Indian grocery store, you're gonna buy plenty of other stuff there too.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo the correct way to buy ghee is to go to an Indian grocery store and get a jar so big it'll last you like 5 years.
I did this but the jar only wound up lasting a month. I have no regrets, because the grocer also has a little cafe type place attached, so the more I cook with ghee and need to buy big tubs of it, the more I get to go back and eat more good food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Dacap posted:

Giving pickles a try using the chefsteps recipe. Added some pickling spice, dill, garlic cloves and sliced jalapeño to the brine.

You motivated me to try myself since I'd been eyeing the recipe for a while.