Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

um what

isn't this massive news, in the weird bubble reality of RMS at least

like in reality who gives a poo poo (except janitorial and faculty staff at MIT, what a relief for them)

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out some chud or liberterian is hiring RMS for some dumb bullshit symbolism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

Gentle Autist posted:

except janitorial and faculty staff at MIT, what a relief for them

they're going to have a lil party where they fill that room with concrete

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!

quote:

over a series of misunderstandings and mischaracterizations.

I dunno, 'letting' him resign and give this as a reason kinda defeats the purpose.

i mean yay, he's gone, but the behavior aint gonna stop

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Gentle Autist posted:

isn't this massive news, in the weird bubble reality of RMS at least

I'm happy, been fighting against this poo poo since I was a teenager in the 90s. A monster is down.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

so is RMS better than the MIT for resigning on his own or was he pressured into resigning to save face

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hexyflexy posted:

I’ve been waiting 20 years.

e: party time, fixed your av

hell yeah shes my favorite programmer from history

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

2013 lurker rereg posted:

I believe he curls and then emails himself webpages.

toejam and curl

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wonder if rms will lose his spot at FSF as well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

influx. posted:

I dunno, 'letting' him resign and give this as a reason kinda defeats the purpose.

i mean yay, he's gone, but the behavior aint gonna stop

i have no idea what kind of position he had but tenured faculty and some other positions of that type require a vote to be fired. so him resigning may be in response to the provost or whoever saying “the board is meeting next Monday and you’ll be fired then”

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i wonder how many osha hazard violations theres's gonna be for the people who go in to detox his office

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also if a mod sees this can you change the name of the thread to "rms got canceled lol" tia

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

toejam and curl

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

pram posted:

stallmans idiotic copyleft bullshit also made MIT/BSD licenses much more popular. which are actual Freedom
frictionless bubble reality assumes infinite resources for fights and occasional symbolic victories against set-top box developers.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wonder if rms will lose his spot at FSF as well

https://blog.halon.org.uk/2019/09/gnome-foundation-relationship-gnu-fsf/
Symbolic non-binding saber rattling calling for this from an executive director of the Gnome project

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

frictionless bubble reality assumes infinite resources for fights and occasional symbolic victories against set-top box developers.

https://blog.halon.org.uk/2019/09/gnome-foundation-relationship-gnu-fsf/
Symbolic non-binding saber rattling calling for this from an executive director of the Gnome project

quote:

This is an unfortunate move on the behalf of GNOME.
RMS has been a stalwart advocate for justice, fairness, and tolerance of all types. This recent event is a part of legacy establishment campaign to drive a wedge in the unity of the FOSS community. Issues like this hurt the FOSS cause and benefit large corporations who have a track record of being oppressive to all types of freedom, despite their recent re-branding as tolerant and inclusive, in cooperation with establishment media.
I implore GNOME to reconsider and take into consideration the totality of RMS four decade long commitment to the betterment of his fellow man.

normally i'd not source quotes but jfc the comments

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
this is just a disinformation campaign to sew disunity among the FLOSSerati so that our adversaries can swoop in and the terrorists will winMicrosoft will wave a magic wand and get us all back onto Windows Server

https://www.csail.mit.edu/people?person%5B0%5D=role%3A295 - warning, slow site
it looks like Visiting Scientist is a nice way of saying "Unofficial Capacity", like "Research Affiliate" everyone else around him is a grad student.
RMS had an understanding with the faculty which could be revoked at any moment. So, it all amounts to a free office in some cinderblock building with a couch to crash on. That's about it.

God, I miss college.
\/

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 17, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what did he resign from, exactly? MIT wasn't paying him, to my knowledge; they just gave him an office, which i understand was basically because he was sleeping on the floor of the computer lab or something.

hobbesmaster posted:

i have no idea what kind of position he had but tenured faculty and some other positions of that type require a vote to be fired. so him resigning may be in response to the provost or whoever saying “the board is meeting next Monday and you’ll be fired then”

he's definitely not faculty and definitely does not have tenure.

the closest thing to a job description that i can find on wikipedia is "unpaid visiting scientist," i.e. essentially a guest lecturer

e: csail website also describes him as "visiting scientist"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Stallman is a genius and lives a life like an ancient Greek philosopher or wandering prophet.

Like many brilliant people who occupy that category, he has no sense of social graces. He writes down the things he thinks. He has virtually no theory of mind, no way to perceive how the people around him are going to react to what he says. In the past, that curse has granted us with great gifts as Stallman had the boldness and fool's spirit of being able to say and think things others would not. That granted us the entire ecosystem of free software, and who knows how decrepit the Internet would be without his contributions. At one point this guy had the entirety of gcc in his head. I can't even fathom the kind of brain that could do that.

The other half of this condition is that he doesn't understand a lot of the world. He has no idea how people relate to one another, how they communicate with one another. He's affected by an extreme disability that puts his social abilities on par with many children of single digit ages. What the people are doing who just drove him out of one of the last corners of social prestige he had is bullying a disabled person.

There's lots of other people that are affected by circumstances like these. Most of them are children, idly posting away on social media completely unaware that they destroy their futures. I know an autistic refugee that had academic grants cancelled because of something they said on Twitter years ago, when they were 16. Tanner Flake had a politically prominent father and said some off color things in video game communities when he was 9 and 10. Google will never forget it.
This is all so perverse. The people doing this stuff are pure evil.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

- hacker news

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/fsf/status/1173780935910797312?s=21

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

wish he’d fall off a cliff with a dog like a real fool

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

wish he’d fall off a cliff with a dog like a real fool

Oi, dogs are cool. Wish he'd fall off a cliff with a duff device for a nose.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Hexyflexy posted:

Oi, dogs are cool. Wish he'd fall off a cliff with a duff device for a noose.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

I wish I knew how I did that.

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

Hexyflexy posted:

I wish I knew how I did that.

undefined behavior

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
ladies and gentlemen

we got him

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
wonder if the internet can get esr next

not that he has anything to resign from

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

wonder if the internet can get esr next

not that he has anything to resign from

We knew esr was a bastard in 1998 when I was in college.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

oh my goodness they actually made a GNU/mastodon. or is it... mastodon/GNU??

https://gnu.io/social/

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh my goodness they actually made a GNU/mastodon. or is it... mastodon/GNU??

https://gnu.io/social/

Is it just me, or is there not a single thing on that page on how you actually chat to anyone.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

weird how those anti-sjw types or autist defender crusaders or whatever you want to call them are so ready to empathise with and defend confirmation-bias-affirming manchildren but don't even entertain doing the same thing for victims of abuse or exploitation

a good movie posted:

hackernews: You know what you look like to me, with your macbook pro and your oh-my-zsh config? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition's given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, SexualAbuseVictim #12? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed: pure West Virginia. What is your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars... while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FSF.

me, an intellectual: You see a lot, RandFanHaskellMan. But are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at yourself? What about it? Why don't you - why don't you look at yourself and write down what you see? Or maybe you're afraid to.

git apologist fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 17, 2019

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Floorislava/status/532622077258649600

buried in cat litter

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Hexyflexy posted:

Is it just me, or is there not a single thing on that page on how you actually chat to anyone.

hahaha you're totally right, and here is their web page that's linked from gnu.io as "Join a GNU social instance"

https://gnu.io/social/try/

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lol

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hahaha you're totally right, and here is their web page that's linked from gnu.io as "Join a GNU social instance"

https://gnu.io/social/try/

I too prefer social network websites without a living person on them.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Last Chance posted:

- hacker news

had me in the first half, not gonna lie

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
he should have taken time off to learn how to be social like linus. oh wait, he doesn’t have any companies paying him that could make him do that.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

klafbang posted:

I too prefer social network websites without a living person on them.

zombo.com

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

animist posted:

had me in the first half, not gonna lie

I was up to "source you are" before wisely refreshing

crystal Ghost
Sep 5, 2019
something about pedofilia and rape(???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
ppl trading RMS interactions on the tooter. I did not know about the plants.