Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
show yourselves SHAUN defenders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Theres a difference between story and world building. Like Dark Souls has great and intricate world building but the story is extremely simple, much like Fallout 76. Fallout 4's story is dogshit, but at least it's there

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Wait, I'm curious, I've seen someone here saying that Fallout 4 has a better story than 76... is 76's story really that bad? From what I've seen, it seemed a solid exercise in worldbuilding, if a bit harmstrung by the decision to not have any human NPC alive on the map and insert as many references to past games and factions as possible.

76's story is bad because it has happened before you left the vault.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Fallout 4 was mediocre in just about every way a game can be and yet 76 is so terrible it makes 4 good by comparison. 76 managed to take Bethesda's poo poo combat and make it worse. And yes, SHAUN was bad and dumb but it was something. Plus 4 has expansions. Even people in this thread won't shut up about how good the story in Far Harbor is. And like I said before, you can mod 4 you can't mod 76 (outside minor interface mods).

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Tenzarin posted:

Bethesda keeps on slipping slipping, into the future.

The moment i saw this, all i could picture was an eagle flying backwards

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

:shrug:

Agree to disagree then, because 4's kludging attempts at trying to force me to care about what was going on just hit all the worst notes for me, and I actually find all the story stuff in 76 much easier to connect to.

I also just don't agree that the story 'isn't there' just because it isn't presented from the unsync'd mouths of emoting potatoes

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Aren't all the stories in FO76 just creepypastas you read on terminals? Not that I doubt they're better written than the main quest in FO4 but that just barely counts as being in the game

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Holotapes, recording, notes, terminals, A couple of robots

Not 'creepypasta'? that's a weird one. Anything concerning important details and events can get verbose, but there are plenty of good little single location stories and a few bits of just fluff for worldbuilding

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Magmarashi posted:

Holotapes, recording, notes, terminals, A couple of robots

Not 'creepypasta'? that's a weird one. Anything concerning important details and events can get verbose, but there are plenty of good little single location stories and a few bits of just fluff for worldbuilding

Plus (in my opinion actually) they do a way better job of selling the "pre-war life was actually unbelievably lovely due to not caring/government malfeasance/replacing humans with robots" thing than previous games ever did. Friggin' Watoga, man.

E: That's still all stories that happened before the game did of course, the plot of the game is still basically "sift through this mountain of fuckups to try and figure out how to unfuck it" without much/any plot going on in the modern day.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The best way to play Shaunout 4 is to completely ignore the main storyline, which is true of every 3D Fallout except New Vegas. Except then the other problem is that even the "it takes a village" sidequesting is some majorly tedious poo poo that goes nowhere.

The best way to play Fallout 76 is to not play it at all and just read the journals on a wiki if you're so inclined.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Dalris Othaine posted:

Plus (in my opinion actually) they do a way better job of selling the "pre-war life was actually unbelievably lovely due to not caring/government malfeasance/replacing humans with robots" thing than previous games ever did. Friggin' Watoga, man.

E: That's still all stories that happened before the game did of course, the plot of the game is still basically "sift through this mountain of fuckups to try and figure out how to unfuck it" without much/any plot going on in the modern day.

The fact that Grafton was a few years away from being a toxic hellscape and the nukes only sped it up

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

That's kinda the problem most have, right? Instead of playing a character in a story you are playing a character reading a bunch of short stories about other characters in a story. 76 is effectively an interactive lore wiki.

Story aside, 4's mechanically better. The combat feels better (read better not great) and overall it is way less buggy (but still very buggy just less so).

Maybe I'm alone here but 4 looks better to me than 76. Something about 76 makes it super unpleasant to look at. Some things in 76 look exactly the same in 4 but others look way worse to me.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
One thing I discovered to improve the look of 76 is to turn off whatever they call their oversampling resolution option. When I let it auto-pick highest options I couldn’t figure out why I didn’t like the graphics. Once I specified the resolution to match my computer’s native resolution it looked much better.

I used to constantly think to myself “love these landscapes but ffs why does something just look off with clarity and textures? “

Also wrt 4, one fun approach is immediately go straight to Nuka World and embrace the raider boss lifestyle before you ever meet the Garv-man. You can then have the option to completely erase your own raider empire or just keep rolling with it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tales from the West Virginia Hills are probably some of the best holotapes in the game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Magmarashi posted:

The fact that Grafton was a few years away from being a toxic hellscape and the nukes only sped it up

Grafton was a toxic hellhole. Grafton Steel paid for a robotic mayor so they could coverup their dumping in the area.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 15, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Got some really good weed so I'm going to try and see if I can't get some 76 fun going...

T+ 0:00 Clicked the game, took a bong rip
T+ 0:03 Launcher seems to be frozen updating so I closed it
T+ 0:05 Can't open Bethesda.net Launcher - The Bethesda.net Launcher is currently unavailable while the Launcher Repair Tool is running. Google says I should delete the game folder and redownload it but I opened task manager and restarted it (because it didn't seem to be open anywhere as far as I could tell) and that seems to have gotten me somewhere as the launcher worked.
T+ 0:10 My password doesn't work the first few times 50-50 if this is fallout 76 or the weed. The password is InstantRegret! and I'm pretty sure I didn't mess up typing it but whatever we're in here baby!
T+ 0:11 I do need to delete the old game download folder even though it seems to have about ~40 gigs downloaded from a previous attempt at playing, I guess I deleted the game last time I played, I can't remember why. Weird. Its 69 gigs. I'll continue in 5hrs 22 min it looks like. Exciting!
T+ 3:14 I put some frozen peas on my router and the DL speed went from 3 mb/s to 9 mb/s, only 1 more hour until I'm having a good time in the wasteland

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 15, 2019

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
K, so 1st time logging back in after placing a few fridges. Kinda sucks even more than i had thought before. Needs a major buff to spoil reduction and needs to not decay while logged off. Woulda been pissed if I didn’t have so many challenge atoms built up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

K, so 1st time logging back in after placing a few fridges. Kinda sucks even more than i had thought before. Needs a major buff to spoil reduction and needs to not decay while logged off. Woulda been pissed if I didn’t have so many challenge atoms built up.

wait, that can't be right. food doesn't spoil when you're logged off, as far as i know.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it would be hilarious if that was behavior exclusive to the fridge.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Rinkles posted:

it would be hilarious if that was behavior exclusive to the fridge.

Idk, maybe i expected too much from the atomfridge but for reals I slapped some poo poo in like 3 of them, hosed around a bit, logged off, and then when I logged in everything was about to spoil.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The only good writing in fallout 4 was all the little stories told through terminals. Expecting it to carry the entire narrative weight of a game was a bit of a swing but 76 isn’t really any worse off for it imo. That said I still reckon you could save yourself the money and just read em online bc the gameplay is red hot crap

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rinkles posted:

show yourselves SHAUN defenders!

The Shaun Defender has logged on.

...I mean, not really. You could maybe do something decent with that idea, but not what they did with it, where the main character has a bright clear picture of BAD MAN TAKE BABY and puts it on hold for six months to shove a Ms. Nanny into a clone of herself and then kiss on it.

One thing Fallout 4 did that 76 really can't is give you the wasteland's perspective through a companion. Admittedly Fallout 4 didn't do a whole lot with this because a) there weren't a whole lot of points of difference in the wasteland; it was just miles and miles of hostile post-apocalypse and b) the actual point of difference in that, the currently hostile thing, actually got reactions but they couldn't make them work right - when the unofficial patch put them back in the dialog pool everyone tended to think they'd shot a Synth if they hadn't shot something else for a while.

But there were little incidental good parts, like when you went back into Vault 111 for no other reason than to pop the lid on the Natesicle/Norasicle and the payoff for the Lost Treasure of Jamaica Plain. Seeing people react to the shaggy dog truth behind the legend of the wasteland was a treat, even more so for the two that aren't disappointed - Curie, who has no frame of reference, and Danse, who says that the greatest treasure is knowledge in a tone so real it wraps back around to being fake.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I played this as a single player game for a few hours and liked it well enough but I’ve put it on hold until the people patch

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

One thing Fallout 4 did that 76 really can't is give you the wasteland's perspective through a companion. Admittedly Fallout 4 didn't do a whole lot with this because a) there weren't a whole lot of points of difference in the wasteland; it was just miles and miles of hostile post-apocalypse and b) the actual point of difference in that, the currently hostile thing, actually got reactions but they couldn't make them work right - when the unofficial patch put them back in the dialog pool everyone tended to think they'd shot a Synth if they hadn't shot something else for a while.

Fo4 did companions so good that you don't just install mods to let everything you do increase their favor for you. My favorite is making all favor good then go on to eat corpses infront of them until they idolize me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Smh if you used mods to unlock either Hancock or caits perks instead of just doing it the old fashioned way naturally in about 2 hours of playtime

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Nope super favor, do one thing to maximize each level of favor. Then talk to them for seconds clicking through their awful life stories until you acquire the perk. Then you send them to hangman's alley. The smallest worst town you will never bother going back to and you never have to see them again.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Wait wait wait..... you mean you did not travel around with uber sexy Irish rose as much as possible? Not gonna lie, one thing I loved about 4 was getting to know the companions and experiencing things through their perspective too.

Hot take: <3 Cait and <3 Piper, Danse was p cool too, Hancock=meh, mutie-man annoying AF, robo-buddies got annoying pretty quick, raider LT was cool in his own way, old man harbor was alright, Col. Boyscout needs to always keep his rear end parked in Sanctuary other than to get his OP perk.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Oh yeah and Captain Greaser can go to hell for never being able to convince me he wasn’t lying to me just to be a manipulative dick. But Institute Terminator guy was actually likeable in his own way too

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

HUGE slam on maccredy outta nowhere!!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The best was using Cogsworth after getting that dlc for the robo workshop and turning the British butler into a huge tank with dual mini guns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had Piper as a companion since she seemed like a normal person. I don't remember anyone else except the cool synth detective cribbed from Asimov

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

HUGE slam on maccredy outta nowhere!!

Oh snap. Forgot about Mayor Mac. He was cool too, good depth of character, great perk, interesting background. Just usually most playthroughs didn’t spend as much time with him because my chick was too busy with her nerdy bae or badass bae.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

My favorite part of Fallout 4 was when I accidentally progressed the main story too far and became Kill On Sight with the Railroad just by walking into their clubhouse, then two hours later I suddenly got attacked in Sanctuary Hills by Hostile Captain Greaser who had walked all the way to me from whereever the game put him.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

One thing I discovered to improve the look of 76 is to turn off whatever they call their oversampling resolution option. When I let it auto-pick highest options I couldn’t figure out why I didn’t like the graphics. Once I specified the resolution to match my computer’s native resolution it looked much better.

I used to constantly think to myself “love these landscapes but ffs why does something just look off with clarity and textures? “

Also wrt 4, one fun approach is immediately go straight to Nuka World and embrace the raider boss lifestyle before you ever meet the Garv-man. You can then have the option to completely erase your own raider empire or just keep rolling with it.

That could be.

I remember there were several texture bugs on launch with FO4. I wouldn't doubt all those bugs got reintroduced in 76.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Oh yeah and Captain Greaser can go to hell for never being able to convince me he wasn’t lying to me just to be a manipulative dick. But Institute Terminator guy was actually likeable in his own way too

I never got the Institute companion in FO4. Couldn't be assed to go find him, honestly.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Started 76 on Friday. Fun glitches include all mobs being frozen so I could just walk up and shoot them and finished quests becoming mysteriously unfinished. I was also stalked by another player last night who wanted to talk to me and kept asking me 'Where are you going? Where are you going, buddy?"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Dr.Smasher posted:

I never got the Institute companion in FO4. Couldn't be assed to go find him, honestly.

you only get him if you go deep in the institute questline and he's also mostly just an rear end in a top hat

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh snap. Forgot about Mayor Mac. He was cool too, good depth of character, great perk, interesting background. Just usually most playthroughs didn’t spend as much time with him because my chick was too busy with her nerdy bae or badass bae.

The main thing I can't get around with Mac is why he doesn't go back to take care of his terminally ill child after you get him the medicine.

I mean, I guess I shouldn't judge because my character is also constantly trying to avoid dealing with their kid, but still.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
He mailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tenzarin posted:

He mailed it.

Sounds like a job for a Courier.

That would actually be a really cool Fallout story to tell. Rather than going "Welcome to the Mojave/Capital/Commonwealth Wasteland!" it could be a more linear road trip story, with smaller but more detailed regions to explore as you cross the country trying to deliver a macguffin.