Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Hey, mr Tarantino, I have an idea for a Kill Bill comedy spin off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Pixelate posted:

Nah, no one's ever tamed that mess. Here are some bits and pieces though:

Some senior leavers in 2014-2016:

• Dan Tracy - Lead Tech Designer- Feb 2013 - Apr 2014
  • Eric Peterson - President of Prod & Dev - Jun 2012 - Nov 2014
  • Rob Irving - Lead Designer - Feb 2013 - Feb 2015
  • Alex Mayberry - Exec Prod May 2014 - Jun 2015
  • Travis Day - Snr Prod - May 2013 - Jul 2015
  • Patrick Thomas - Lead Environment Artist - Jun 2013 - Oct 2015
  • Jeremy Masker - Director of game ops - Oct 2014 - Nov 2015
  • Jason Hutchins - Snr Prod - Oct 2014 - Jan 2016
  • Michael Barclay - Lead Level Designer - Jan 2014 - Oct 2016

Here's a broader list from the mid 2016

Some general recent stuff:

Agent on some recent leavers in 2018:

DigitalPenny reckons Linkedin premium confirms their staffing claims but suggests 3x the turnover & a much higher art-to-tech ratio than other studios.

They don't seem to have a lead facial animator at Derby UK since the guy that set up the studio left.

The flight model physics guy got replaced by a young lad who keeps flipping the hover switch on and off.

And on and on. There's too much. There's always more.

They had good experinced experienced people, comming to work on this exciting new project, who tell Chris that something he was asking for can't be done or they needed to focus on something full like sever architecture and Chris would wave his hands and tell them he could do it, make the pixel green. shortly after they were fired or moved on.

Some of them did whole packages of work that were impressive, sound systems, physics models ect they were just never incorporated into a game.

So many pro's just don't understand game development.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

At the end of the day ever one is replaceable. However running a team / company with an iron fist and going around with the attitude that people are just replaceable fodder, firing people because you can or having different opinions is terrible.

It instantly creates a toxic workplace, destroys orginsational knowledge its garenteed way to gently caress things up.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Oh. I see how that might be confusing.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

* Install closed circuit cameras throughout all CI offices.
* Lock all external office doors and release live sexy bears inside.
* Livestream the hijinks.
* Closure/Profit

How many sexy bears ?

Think it should be a series leading up to the whole studio.

First a backer dinner,

Then citcon

Then all studios

Really build it up

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RescueFreak posted:

Thanks to the goon who recommended Starsector.

I spent all weekend playing it.

It's pretty great, isn't it? Oh, be careful around neutron stars, assuming your galaxy map has any. I think mostly everything except the core worlds is randomized each time.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

If I was made head of CI with robberts abducted by aliens, I would ...

gently caress it lets double down on the scam. I get some one to install a bit coin miner that took 20% GPU / CPU power into SC and say it was calculating tier 3 universe physics.

I'd sue the Roberts family trust for its I'll gotten gains having access to the books.

Id set up a scam team to send phishing emails using all CI work. Targeting the gullible backers list promising several exclusive ships punching above their weight. This money would go directly to accounts in the Caymans. I'd try paint my self as hero, warning backers of this scam.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sell the customer database to other scammers.

I'd contract a team of 30 people to make SC, give them complete control to poo poo something out and fire everyone else, but pretend I still have 600 people working for me, and desperately needed they money to finish the project. Pay myself the rest.

The rest of my time would be dedicated to selling out the company and hiding all this will never ending shell company's.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'd double down on more executive vitamins, then double that again, then again.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

And on and on. There's too much. There's always more.

This reminds me of the between chapters photo from that ninja game, Ronin.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

Sell the customer database to other scammers.

I'd contract a team of 30 people to make SC, give them complete control to poo poo something out and fire everyone else, but pretend I still have 600 people working for me, and desperately needed they money to finish the project. Pay myself the rest.

The rest of my time would be dedicated to selling out the company and hiding all this will never ending shell company's.

Chris had a dozen shell companies? We shall have... 42!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJPn3FSFmM

This guy does not understand game development.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
whats this game

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Challenge for you goons.

Let's say the Crobber gets abducted by space aliens who want him to make a bad movie as an example of what not to do. They also have your family members hostage and make you take over running Robert's Space Industries.

How the gently caress do you turn it into something resembling a legit company?

Nice try, Chris.

You can figure out how to fix your own drat game.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

whats this game

anything you want it to be

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

eonwe posted:

whats this game

It's about inevitable consequences.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kikas posted:

"This ship... it will be made for me!"
ftfy

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just encountered star citizen on the naughty twitch streaming service.

They were in an elevator carrying boxes. DANG.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Spiderdrake posted:

Just encountered star citizen on the naughty twitch streaming service.

They were in an elevator carrying boxes. DANG.

Time to rub?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Page 42. We did it, reddit :toot:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Page 42. We did it, reddit :toot:

July 4th, 1985 - the day unremembered that the MiB smashed the Vogon constructor armada and cast the galaxy into an economic recession that's continued until now.

Turns out that they really did need the hyperspace bypass. Who knew?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol any "How I would save Star Citizen" post that doesn't start out with "throw procedural planets in the loving bin, immediately" is wrong.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hey Beet can you do mod stuff in games or is that not cool?

I can't remember if I PM'd you.

Also I think some procgen stuff would be cool, like moons and other bland poo poo, then go over it and add stuff. I think Star Flight was procgen, and that's a good game!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id fix star citizen by giving them more money to continue development of the game i enjoy

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

Hey Beet can you do mod stuff in games or is that not cool?

I can't remember if I PM'd you.

Also I think some procgen stuff would be cool, like moons and other bland poo poo, then go over it and add stuff. I think Star Flight was procgen, and that's a good game!

Yeah I have buttons here. I don't have a PM from you though so if you need me to do a thing let me know.

The procgen stuff is cool, but the problem is the way they're doing it is creating more work than they could possibly hope to complete. They should go back to the idea of having one or two bespoke landing zones on a planet, and then work out from there after the game is in a better space.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Id fix Star Citizen by claiming Valve has partnered with me to make Half-Life 3 and we would use the super advanced tech from behind the scenes that nobody has seen yet to make a super Half Life 3 where you play as Gordon Friedman exploring ppanets and trying to find the Vortigaunt homeworld

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

All they really have is art, so to save it just turn Star Citizen into a DLC pack for no man's sky or whatever space game actually works. Be a pretty good DLC: Lots of ships, a couple ports of call, and an NPC wearing too many jackets.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Id fix Star Citizen by claiming Valve has partnered with me to make Half-Life 3 and we would use the super advanced tech from behind the scenes that nobody has seen yet to make a super Half Life 3 where you play as Gordon Friedman exploring ppanets and trying to find the Vortigaunt homeworld

Announce World of Warcraft: Star Citizen at Blizzcon

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'd fix Star Citizen by buying Love Pledge and renaming it Star Citizen.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Pixelate posted:

Nah, no one's ever tamed that mess. Here are some bits and pieces though:

DigitalPenny posted:

They had good experinced experienced people, comming to work on this exciting new project, who tell Chris that something he was asking for can't be done or they needed to focus on something full like sever architecture and Chris would wave his hands and tell them he could do it, make the pixel green. shortly after they were fired or moved on.

Thanks!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I don't think it can be saved, and really, when you get down to it, there's nothing here worth saving anyway. The "IP" is sub-moronic tripe, everything Chris touched is useless, and the whole thing is better left in the garbage pile. Even the name is dumb.

Really the best approach is to throw out literally everything they have, and I mean everything, including the art, and especially the "lore" and all those unfortunate names of places and things, and start over from the ground up and make Freelancer 2. Then a year or so later, add planet DLC or something. And grow out slowly from there. Promise absolutely nothing, and deliver one well-considered and properly-implemented feature at a time. Perhaps at launch some basic asteroid mining with random explosions, rare materials, pirate spawns, tractor beams, and a few other things. There's your rudimentary game loop and foundation.

Maybe later you look at adding salvageable ships, building on what you already have with asteroids and those basic functions. Then perhaps later you can add pirate space stations. A mission here or there. Just little poo poo that uses the tech you already know is working.

Use loading screens to clearly delineate which maps and physics sets are for FPS and which are for flight. For gently caress's sake, cheat and use tricks and illusions (otherwise known as "game development" to people who aren't Chris Roberts aka actual game developers) to keep the illusion intact. Bring that poo poo in years down the line, once people are happy with their shooty ship space game and are ready for the inevitable consequence of space legs.

Above all: when the insane backers start asking questions, answer every one with "not at this time, but we'll let you know if that changes." I don't care if they're asking if you plan to support keyboards. "Not at this time." Don't even promise sound or video. "We'll have to see how things play out."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

lol any "How I would save Star Citizen" post that doesn't start out with "throw procedural planets in the loving bin, immediatkly" is wrong.

Is "procedural planet" Chris nickname? Sound more like a Ben thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You guys with your "development" suggestions would never have gotten a quarter o a billion dollars with no strings attached.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

You guys with your "development" suggestions would never have gotten a quarter o a billion dollars with no strings attached.

thats why chris is a genious visionary and we aren't

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For the challenge thing how would i do x,y,z

Put D.Smart as boss. Announce an engine change and lay out what we've all known all along that the current engine is preventing us from creating the BDDSE ever made. Close down all studios except 1 keep all the top talent. All staff will be put through the lesnick challenge. We only want the best of the best.

Dump majority of the assests and merge/convert what we can to unity and eventually within 12months poo poo out something then

Blame everything else on German Drivers. Also Pineapple on pizza is good.

Also no refunds dirty leavers, something something database smeg

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Not only is the game just completely worthless, so are the people working at CIG.

The most basic poo poo even when it somehow looks competent on 1st glance, an hour later it's broken in one way or another. The people still there have long proven to the world they cannot make a game, Chris micromanaging can be blamed for a lot of the issues, but not all of it. I can understand that for a select few this is their 1st time working in the game industry, but the well has been poisoned by the "THIS GAME IS GREAT" doey eyed employees who cannot or don't look beyond anyone who paid $1000 criticizing that they cannot spend enough money on this.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Star Citizen's anus is larger than Skyrim.

Finally someone dares to make digital version of FATAL.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

crobear posted:

how to fix space citizen??

Just make it single player, and buy some AI scripts of marketplace if your 500 employees cannot figure out how to make NPC fire at player while standing still :shrug: . Or just multiplayer with few invited friends to mop your floors.

Also use at least one bartender mocap animation on everything to give your game some style. Mixing drink A will be used randomly used for reloading commando's weapon, etc

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 17, 2019

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Hey gang.

So here's a question.

Espresso Machine cost about $17,000.

Space Door cost about $40,000.

What single, used-once item would cost $100,000?

You've seen it. You've absolutely loving seen it.

Aussies, you've absolutely loving seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I'd go to Remedy and offer all of Star Citizen as a start for Control II: Space Control. The twisted NPC monstrosities, vanishing objects, falling through the ground and other bizarre things just need some talented writers to describe how they are Altered World Events.