Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BigFactory posted:

You can say “volume 2” or “volume 6” or whatever.
I guess the way I think of receiver volume is I probably do 90% of my listening between what would be a 3 and a 6 out of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

qirex posted:

I guess the way I think of receiver volume is I probably do 90% of my listening between what would be a 3 and a 6 out of 10.

11 for me. I have to turn it down by hand because Alexa can't hear me then.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

Trying to decide on some entry level-ish studio monitors for making electronic music. I have some consumer bookshelf speakers that just don't sound great for production and so I'm looking at monitors in the sub $400/pair range.

Hoping someone can give me some good idea of if I'd be better served by KRK RP5 G4's, Yamaha HS5's, JBL 306P MkII's, or maybe Presonus something.

Does anybody have any good reasons to lean towards/away from any of these?

ended up getting some Yamaha HS7's after doing some A-B comparisons at Guitar Center. They were having a "buy one get one 50% off" sale on the Yamaha line and it was enough to convince me to jump up from the 5" options.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

KillHour posted:

You can also just keep saying quieter or louder, at least with Google home. I usually do something like "Hey Google, play music in the kitchen. *beep* Volume at 40% *volume goes up* louder *volume goes up* a little louder *volume goes up slightly* Thank you *You're welcome* :3:"
Does it make you want to shout?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Voice control is creepy, I don't want to talk to a computer.

I prefer talking to my cats, like a normal person.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Voice control is creepy, I don't want to talk to a computer.

I prefer talking to my cats, like a normal person.

You are talking to a person, most likely in India, the Philippines or Central America. And then they control your computer.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

evobatman posted:

You are talking to a person, most likely in India, the Philippines or Central America. And then they control your computer.

What are you on about? That is not at all how Alexa/Google Home work.

As for a suggestion, I have something like this although I don't use it for volume. In my use case, I have an Amazon Echo (but a Google Home would work fine), a Harmony Smart Control remote that controls everything, and then IFTTT. I have IFTTT triggers set up to run Harmony smart control things "trigger play computer", "trigger play roku", "trigger turn off the tv, etc" and then I have Alexa linked to IFTTT so I can just say those things and it does what it needs to do. You could proabbly make volume triggers as well, you'd have to play with IFTTT to see how it interacts with Harmony.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

shortspecialbus posted:

What are you on about? That is not at all how Alexa/Google Home work.

:doh: yeeeahh p sure they were joking :ssh:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:doh: yeeeahh p sure they were joking :ssh:

:shrug: maybe but I've heard that plenty in seriousness.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've donated the old sub to a craigslist rando with a plate amp, time to move on up. Current candidates are the SVS SB-1000 and the Rythmik L12. They are largely similar in specs, both 12" sealed with fiber cones, 300W RMS, $500ish, etc. The main difference is the Rythmik direct servo design and built-in EQ/curve adjustment vs. speaker level inputs and what is a larger company with more resources in SVS. The only other small sub I was considering was the RSL Speedwoofer but they're out of stock for a while. Any other good small subs I'm unaware of?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m thinking of getting a Denon AVR-S750H (or maybe 950H) receiver, and was wondering if anyone could answer these two questions regarding the receiver and HEOS speakers.

1) could I set up a 5.1 system with wired left, center, and right speakers and use HEOS speakers for the surrounds? I would think so, but the Q&A on Denon's site makes it unclear.

2) if so, could I also “connect” two more HEOS speakers as 6 and 7, set them to Zone 2, and have them play a separate audio source?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I haven’t checked recently but I believe wireless rear speakers only works with the HEOS Receiver model. You should be able to download the manual from their website.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a Samsung soundbar hooked up to my TV. It's got a couple different "Sound Modes"; cinema, sports, news, music, ~3D Sound~, as well as a pass-through option. I haven't tried them out much, are they worth using or just a gimmick?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Toebone posted:

I've got a Samsung soundbar hooked up to my TV. It's got a couple different "Sound Modes"; cinema, sports, news, music, ~3D Sound~, as well as a pass-through option. I haven't tried them out much, are they worth using or just a gimmick?

Gimmick. They're usually just equalizer settings, most of which aren't that great anyway. The ~3D Sound~ it depends on the company how they simulate it, but having used 3 soundbars at this point they're just a dumb gimmick. The soundbar having a separate sub is more important than basically anything else.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
But hey, if you prefer the sound on one of those settings, more power to you!

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
So, I bought the Logitech G560 for my PC and of course I forgot to check if they can connect to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (which I use to play guitar via amp modeling software). I don't see any obvious way to connect them, did I gently caress up? Or is there something I can do here?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can connect the outputs of your Scarlett to the 3.5mm input on the subwoofer with this cable. Then there is some way on the speakers to select the 3.5mm input as your source.

Got that from this review, I couldn't find the manual through my phone.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can connect the outputs of your Scarlett to the 3.5mm input on the subwoofer with this cable. Then there is some way on the speakers to select the 3.5mm input as your source.

Got that from this review, I couldn't find the manual through my phone.

Great, thanks!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve got this receiver inside a cabinet that gets kind of warm. I’ve been trying to keep the door open while it’s powered on, but I’d really like to add a fan to the enclosure.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-CqA0y0Np3fR/p_033AVX3500/Denon-AVR-X3500H.html#&gid=1&pid=2

Is there anything here that can automate turning a fan on and off? I don’t really know what the 12v trigger does. I guess I could get a fan with a thermostat, but those seem to cost a lot more than regular 12v case fans.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Found these kits on Amazon - kit with AC adapter, fan, mounting hardware and a thermal controller that kicks on at 88* and off at 81* F.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You know you need to vent the enclosure, not just put a fan inside, right?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LRADIKAL posted:

You know you need to vent the enclosure, not just put a fan inside, right?

I fully expect to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet for an exhaust fan because I'm not an idiot. Outside air will find its own way in because its a cabinet, not an air-tight enclosure.

Geoj posted:

Found these kits on Amazon - kit with AC adapter, fan, mounting hardware and a thermal controller that kicks on at 88* and off at 81* F.

I guess $40 isn't the end of the world, but a 120mm fan is $5, and a 12v wall wart is free from the junk drawer. Letting a cheap fan run forever isn't the worst thing in the world, I guess, but the receiver isn't really on that much of a day.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you're more into DIY, Inline DC thermostat controller for $6.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
The trigger out just puts out 12v when the unit is on, and can handle 150mA. You could use this to drive a relay to switch on a fan.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3500H/NA/EN/GFNFSYasrxoojm.php#OKNRMLcuonspwn

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3500H/NA/EN/HJWMSYhielqqle.php

If you're going to cut a hole in the back of the unit anyway, try cutting two holes, one at the top and one at the bottom. That could fix your airflow issue without needing a fan.

Edit 2: You should be able to find a 120mm 12v fan with a power consumption less than 150mA. If so, you could wire that directly to the trigger out. If you're using a PWM computer fan, you'll need to figure out how to wire it up too.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 17, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looking at the Denon model linked, and the a Yamaha I recently bought, I have a question: is it no longer usual for receivers to have switched/unswitched power outlets on the back panel?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

I'm not an idiot.

Glad for the clarification.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looking at the Denon model linked, and the a Yamaha I recently bought, I have a question: is it no longer usual for receivers to have switched/unswitched power outlets on the back panel?

Yeah, it's a shame because they can be pretty convenient for all sorts of uses. I think it's a combination of cost-cutting and a lack of real estate on the back panel/depth inside the machine to install a power socket. Glad manufacturers are still including the trigger out though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Just out of pure curiosity, does anyone know what the stack of metal flanges is on these old PA speakers? Resonators for bass or something?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's a lens that diffuses treble and directs it. It used to be a thing on some big 70s PA and was resurrected a few years ago on Pioneer's own line of club speakers.

Old tech that works well always ends up coming back as innovation...

Pioneer's: http://www.pioneerproaudio.com/en/sound/gs_wave/wav_lens.html

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Cool. Thanks.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Simple, what's a good, cheap cd player with RCA outputs? Just want it to plug into the stereo in my mom's tv room.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Depends what you've got laying around. Old DVD players are plentiful and cheap at second hand stores and tip shops.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, if I can't find anything that just plays CD's for under 50 bucks, she has TWO(!!) DVD players sitting there not hooked up, but it would be nice for something that works without the TV on. Only CD players left are audiophile poo poo, or I'm not using a good search term.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Check to see if the DVD players have play/stop/chapter skip buttons, you night get lucky and not need the TV.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018OKSYLE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_zXeWDbXCK4NKC

This work?

But yeah, check eBay, or if you have a receiver already you can just use a USB external drive, possibly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't play loud audio, but I have some tinnitus that I think relates to having my headphones on. Since I don't really play loud audio, is there something else that might be sending some damaging noise through my headphones?

I have my Sennheisers connected through jack to my Focusrite audio interface which in turn is connected to my computer through USB. The latest driver is installed, and things seem fine otherwise.

Should you connect your headphones directly to your USB interface like that, or should you run it through a ground loop isolator if you're a purist?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you have a ground loop it's usually pretty obvious and a lot lower pitched than tinnitus whine.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tinnitus as in your ears ring in a quiet room or tinnitus as is you have trouble hearing things?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ItBreathes posted:

Tinnitus as in your ears ring in a quiet room or tinnitus as is you have trouble hearing things?

This.

Also regardless of the volume, what are you doing with the bass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I notice my ears ringing while I'm wearing them, and then I notice it when I go to bed, too. I haven't fidgeted with bass or anything like that. It's just a Scarlett Solo, so there's just a volume knob.

Weirdly enough it's not a very unpleasant frequency unlike some types of temporary ringing I've had years ago, it's just very noticeable.