Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The WI dmv won't transfer my California street title for my XR650R that has plates and road tags and insurance through state farm. I know I should have seen this coming but it's still a huge loving bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Time for the old South Dakota loophole

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1203792-getting-a-street-legal-titleplate-by-registering-it-in-south-dakotaexperiences/

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I guess so. loving Wisconsin, if I was in Washington I'd have already had an inspection and lost my license for doing wheelies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah Wisconsin is notoriously lovely about anything that smells the least bit off. What reason did they give you?

Register it somewhere else and just leave it there. Or leave it registered in Cali?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's not supposed to have a street title because no XR650R sold in the US had a federal cert. Someone was able to convince the state of California that it was good enough but the DMV I went to don't care. I will go to a different DMV.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

CA is not cool with anything weird car/bike-wise usually, so I'm shocked WI is worse.

In other news, even though I'd be embarrassingly slow on it, I wish there was a to try out a high end superbike (like a Ducati Panigale V4 R) with every possible electronic aid on a track, without dropping ~$40k on a bike.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nothing like bench press day at the gym to illustrate that I need to use my core more to hold me up. I'm used to my arms feeling tired when I ride to work after chest day, but I did some extra volume today and was rewarded with a tricep cramp on the freeway.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
South Dakota time. Shoulda just bought a loving 690.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

South Dakota time. Shoulda just bought a loving 690.

Vermont should also work for you, I think.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I've done Vermont before for streetbikes but with the issue being the VIN coming up as off road only VT would want an inspection. I just got off the phone with a buddy in WI that said he was able to tag an XS650 built from pieces as a homebuilt using an original XS frame that still had the VIN on the headstock which is in direct contradiction to the DMV's homebuilt rules? So I'm going to see about going down that road I guess. If I can actually get a clean WI street title for this thing the value would increase astronomically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

I've done Vermont before for streetbikes but with the issue being the VIN coming up as off road only VT would want an inspection. I just got off the phone with a buddy in WI that said he was able to tag an XS650 built from pieces as a homebuilt using an original XS frame that still had the VIN on the headstock which is in direct contradiction to the DMV's homebuilt rules? So I'm going to see about going down that road I guess. If I can actually get a clean WI street title for this thing the value would increase astronomically.

I have a buddy who just somehow managed to title an old untitled Ducati in WI, despite all experience saying he shouldnt be able to do it.

I'll ping him and see what forms he used

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a buddy who just somehow managed to title an old untitled Ducati in WI, despite all experience saying he shouldnt be able to do it.

I'll ping him and see what forms he used

OK, he got back to me really quick. He registered a 65 Ducati Monza 250 that didnt have a title and wasnt originally titled to him using

MV1, which is needed for any title changes or transfers: https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/formdocs/mv1.pdf

MV2082, which he says has a checklist you need to follow. Fill the forms out, take some pictures, provide proof of purchase, provide an explanation of how you got the bike and get a Surety Bond, which the state will tell you that you need to do and then you provide all of that to the state: https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/formdocs/mv2082.pdf

Surety Bonds: https://www.suretybonds.com/states/wisconsin/motor-vehicle-lost-title-bond.html

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The problem is that this bike doesn't have a federal EPA sticker. If I got lucky at a third DMV or snuck it through somehow they'd either flat out deny the title and tags when they went from my local office to the next step up the chain or call me up and say "please send us pix of your federal cert."

You could maybe get away with this with a bike that didn't indicate that maaaaaybe something sketchy is going on with a different vehicle type than "trail."

e: tldr there's no getting around the non existent sticker other than perjury lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:smithicide:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

They asked you to crush it into a cube, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

They asked you to crush it into a cube, right?

I'll tell you this because I need to share the pain: this pile of poo poo is worth approximately $25,000 and the 'designers' managed to add about an hour to the already ridiculous HD big twin drive belt procedure.

E: oh and the front wheel is a spinner btw

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Somebody might have paid $25k for it. But it definitely isn't worth that.

Look on the bright side. It'll be a garage queen and rarely see daylight and therefore won't be an offence to all those who pass by. On the odd occasion it does go out, there's very good odds it will be wrapped around a telephone pole.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Somebody might have paid $25k for it. But it definitely isn't worth that.

Look on the bright side. It'll be a garage queen and rarely see daylight and therefore won't be an offence to all those who pass by. On the odd occasion it does go out, there's very good odds it will be wrapped around a telephone pole.

It is owned by a plus sized gang member who has expectations of actually using it unfortunately. This is a guy who won't ride regular Harleys because he's too big to fit, like a loving gorilla.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I'll tell you this because I need to share the pain: this pile of poo poo is worth approximately $25,000 and the 'designers' managed to add about an hour to the already ridiculous HD big twin drive belt procedure.

E: oh and the front wheel is a spinner btw

Slavvy posted:

It is owned by a plus sized gang member who has expectations of actually using it unfortunately. This is a guy who won't ride regular Harleys because he's too big to fit, like a loving gorilla.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the most effort ever undertaken to not say the nword

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuuuh it's a white dude...? Wtf?

E: this is really, really bothering me. I've gone over those posts and I can't figure out why you thought I'm a racist. Have I stumbled into some sort of racist redneck secret code or something?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 17, 2019

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Right arm appears to be a racist nazi that’s all

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Given you’re in NZ I thought the guy was Maori.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coredump posted:

Given you’re in NZ I thought the guy was Maori.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the most effort ever undertaken to not say the nword

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Do we want to do a betting pool? Does right arm get a 1, 3, or 7 day probe for making adiabatic wonder in here?

Adiabatic if you get this before I wake up in the morning probe me too and say something nice and sweet on the message, love you. ;-*

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sounds like a pretty racist assumption, that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please do not drag my precious jewel encrusted posts into whatever bullshit it is you’re doing.

My posts deserve better :allears:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

What's the point of going without a rear suspension on a motorcycle? It seems just dumb to me, like you're deliberately making the ride more uncomfortable and adding shock load to your spine for no good reason.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Well for one thing it won't need respringing to accommodate the likely buyer

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
TO BE FAIR slavvy you are Australian, and an Aussie being racist and xenophobic is a reasonable assumption with no other evidence.

Still I didn't read your post as "this bike was made for a brown person"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pun pundit posted:

What's the point of going without a rear suspension on a motorcycle? It seems just dumb to me, like you're deliberately making the ride more uncomfortable and adding shock load to your spine for no good reason.

Dildocycle

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

captainOrbital posted:

TO BE FAIR slavvy you are Australian, and an Aussie being racist and xenophobic is a reasonable assumption with no other evidence.

Still I didn't read your post as "this bike was made for a brown person"

Did you do this on purpose because if so :lol:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

but he is, he's just stuck in new zealand

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If spinner means what I think it means, I didn't know they even made those for motorcycles. And I thought that trend had died off, at least here in the US.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isn’t there a cottage industry of shipping garbage OCC choppers people have abandoned from the US to NZ or did I dream that?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You didn't dream it, I remember Slavvy posting something about it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

It's for looks, although in this case the bike just appears to be a rigid but still has a swingarm and shocks. It's just built to the Harley Softail pattern, a design deliberately intended to appear rigid. The shocks are pull-type items laying down flat underneath the bike.

captainOrbital posted:

TO BE FAIR slavvy you are Australian,

:flip:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Isn’t there a cottage industry of shipping garbage OCC choppers people have abandoned from the US to NZ or did I dream that?

Correct. The original importer probably paid about 12k USD. This particular one is a BIG DOG and they are among the better ones in terms of inbreeding percentage and build consistency. Still poo poo though.

MomJeans420 posted:

If spinner means what I think it means, I didn't know they even made those for motorcycles. And I thought that trend had died off, at least here in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52AgKWYUg4

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I shall now out-do right arm in expressing inflammatory statements.

Hey Slaavy, p. twins are p. cool am I right? :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

I shall now out-do right arm in expressing inflammatory statements.

Hey Slaavy, p. twins are p. cool am I right? :v:

Mods

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

It sounds exactly as much like a chintzy piece of poo poo as it conceptually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't know what I was expecting, but that was worse than expected