Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Are there any sort of organizations that take volunteers to provide on call assistance for people with mental health problems? Cooking, buying groceries, just sort of propping people up going through crisis?

I'm currently weathering Afghanistan and basically burning my mental health for the extra money. After what I think was some kind of abrupt manic and then depressive swing a few weeks ago I feel like I'm just barely just maintaining with help from a deployed therapist. Maintaining for me though mainly means just trying to push through and trust that if I can just put a name to my problems I can make a plan to solve them, so I've been trying to name problems and plan for when I get out of here.

I've been identifying the things that cause me to slip down, social isolation due to social anxiety, no local friends or family, stuck working for the current government. The government will change, and I think I'm going to try and move close to where my brother is and piggyback off of his social group once I get to go home in a few months, but even when I was kind of connected with people I was always just sort of there. I feel like I can only really connect if I am doing something for someone else.

I have a need to help other people though too. I'm stuck in a perpetual state of just existing and I can't see a way to make myself feel better, but I feel useful at least when I help someone else. It doesn't make me happy exactly, but I can be satisfied that even if I don't feel better someone else does and that's good enough. Contact high happiness?

Sometimes the stars align and I'm able to fix something for someone at work and it's good for a little bit, but I can never keep it going. I have tutored some low income kids before which was ok, but I really want to take care of things for people that are going through something and need help. I've kind of tried to offer to do things for people before, but having the awkward guy offer to do things just wierds people out. They misunderstand why I'm offering it I think.

I guess it's not just helping people with mental health issues isn't really required, but I'm doing this to try and help my mental health and I'd like to do the same in return.

-Zydeco- has issued a correction as of 21:03 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
For the folks worried about math: Ive been in software dev for 20 years, a functional manager for the past 2, and I need to check which trig functions I should be using every time I use them. Understanding software engineering principles is important, memorizing trig functions is not. Depending on what kind of dev you do, you may literally never use trig.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SubnormalityStairs posted:

For the folks worried about math: Ive been in software dev for 20 years, a functional manager for the past 2, and I need to check which trig functions I should be using every time I use them. Understanding software engineering principles is important, memorizing trig functions is not. Depending on what kind of dev you do, you may literally never use trig.

it me

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Presenting Nipples posted:

I've been in a relationship for 5 years. She is a great person. She is a Marxist, we get along great, and we have good sex when I'm in the mood. However, I'm no longer attracted to her. Last year, I fell in love with a coworker who was moving away. I didn't tell them about it because I felt it was unprofessional. I was going to breakup with my girlfriend but many of my friends convinced me not to. The next year our relationship gone okay, but I just feel unsatisfied sexually and emotionally. I've also had significant bouts of depression as I'm just not excited to go out with her. I think about going out and meeting random girls and other type of fantasies.

I had a nice vacation with some friends and visited said coworker for a couple days who lived nearby. We had a really great time. I decided to tell her how I felt and it went extremely poorly. She seemed almost disgusted by me. We both moved on from the conversation rather quickly, but I was definitely not in a great mood the last couple of hours. I've messaged her a couple of times, to try to repair the friendship with some more banal topics but she is giving short responses and not having a conversation. I think our friendship is over and my romantic fantasy is killed.

That was a little over a week ago and I can't get over it. It is bringing up all of these past traumas with me and women. Throughout high school and college, girls I would have crushes on would constantly end up with friends. I was extremely afraid of rejection and felt it was inevitable because I"m ugly. It made me extremely jealous to see the people I was interested in show interest in others. I feel like I am too ugly for women that I'm attracted to me show any interest. I might be on the spectrum because I don't know how to read signs or attraction or else I just never get them from the people I'm interested in. I've gained about 10 pounds since my died and I was already a little overweight. I am 5'9 185 pounds and just feel fat, unattractive, and worthless. I'm basically doomed to be unnoticed or settle for someone I am just not physically attracted to.

My girlfriend is on a school trip as she is close to finishing her degree. We had a conversation about being in an open relationship. I got tindr to try to feel better, but I'm not matching with anyone I'm interested in. It is making me feel worthless.
I dont know that I really have any good advice but almost all of this is extremely similar to my situation, to an uncanny level of detail. I mean, I do have advice but its advice Im not taking myself either.

got any sevens posted:

you were attracted to her for 4 years, so the change is in your head, and might be flipped back again?
I cant speak for OP obviously but my partner and I basically went down this route with couples therapy and all it did was make me waste a year or two trying to correct my wrong feelings and give me jealousy issues about people that are actually attracted to the people theyre intimate with

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

TACD posted:

I dont know that I really have any good advice but almost all of this is extremely similar to my situation, to an uncanny level of detail. I mean, I do have advice but its advice Im not taking myself either.
I cant speak for OP obviously but my partner and I basically went down this route with couples therapy and all it did was make me waste a year or two trying to correct my wrong feelings and give me jealousy issues about people that are actually attracted to the people theyre intimate with

got any sevens posted:

ive felt a lot of that the last few years, but going back to school for an art degree and being more open about my feelings has made me a lot less depressed, so def. see your therapist again, maybe your old one misses you? and show your g/f that post so she knows what you're going through, then see where the relationship goes
you were attracted to her for 4 years, so the change is in your head, and might be flipped back again?

Thanks for the kind words. I reached out to my therapist so hopefully I can meet with them soon.

My gf knows all this and Im shocked she wants to be with me. She is very special in a lot of ways.

Until then Im just going to do my best to

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm so tired (literally) of not being able to sleep. Just sitting here at 4:30am Aussie time posting on the mental health thread again, realising that yet another day is going to be a write off because I can't go back to sleep after my wife coughed in my face. Been up for two hours, will be woken up by the gym below my apartment in one hour, so I'm pretty much done sleeping.

This is only my second week at my new job and there is so much to learn. I can't do it tired. It's bad enough I have chronic hand pain and am 15 years older than everyone else.

The only thing that helps me sleep a little is benzos, but they don't let you take that long term here. So I've been tapering, but now I have no way to get out of the anxiety spirals I get into at night.

And of course when I'm struggling my wife gets nervous and sleeps worse, which makes me sleep worse, which eventually leads to disaster at work. Or at least employer disappointment. And since every loving job is a contract job now, I have no security even if I pass probation.

I'm so tired of this cycle, and the older I get the harder it is to get and keep the next lovely job.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CBT-I, and more specifically Sleep Restriction Therapy, got me out of those anxiety spirals within days of starting. I still had (and have) some sleepless nights, but it's far, far better when you don't have the anxiety to go with it. SRT is contraindicated for certain psychological disorders, so it's something you'd likely want to discuss with a professional, but it is very much worth looking into.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CBT-I, and more specifically Sleep Restriction Therapy, got me out of those anxiety spirals within days of starting. I still had (and have) some sleepless nights, but it's far, far better when you don't have the anxiety to go with it. SRT is contraindicated for certain psychological disorders, so it's something you'd likely want to discuss with a professional, but it is very much worth looking into.

How/how much do you think this helped with your anxiety? It sounds like those things mostly just focus on your actual ability to fall and stay asleep.

I started going into an anxiety driven insomnia spiral whenever I've had a job over the past five years and a big part of my problem was feeling anxiety throughout the evening, not just when I tried to go to sleep.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thanks, I think my shrink wants to try that but we've been busy with other stuff first. Didn't expect to be employed and that makes "it gets worse before it gets better" strategies harder.

I'm so tired by the end of the day that I fall asleep just fine. But that first wake up is when all the thoughts start. And of course now I have a pattern of not going back to sleep so I almost expect it. So annoying

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
so about a month ago a childhood friend of mine added me on FB. i was pretty excited because we'd known each other since we were like 8 years old, our moms were best friends basically our whole lives, and we were super close until she joined the air force like 10 years ago. we didn't talk too much while she was in the af because i never knew what she had going on and i didn't want to bother her, but i talked to her every once in a while. i messaged her a few days ago because i was just feeling super lovely and i said something along the lines of "we haven't actually spoken in a few years, it would be awesome to hear your voice"

and goddamn, she went off on me. i mean, i knew she had issues from being deployed and being a combat medic and all, but she told me that i don't know her and that people from her past don't mean anything to her anymore. and when i tried to apologize she just further chastised me. and i just feel hosed up all around because i hate that i made her feel like that, and i hate that someone who was the kindest person that i've ever known would say something like that; and i feel guilty and selfish by being hurt by what she said because she's been through so much more hosed up stuff than me.

idk i just needed to get that off my chest, i'm sick of replaying the conversation in my head and feeling like a complete and total rear end in a top hat.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

How/how much do you think this helped with your anxiety? It sounds like those things mostly just focus on your actual ability to fall and stay asleep.

I started going into an anxiety driven insomnia spiral whenever I've had a job over the past five years and a big part of my problem was feeling anxiety throughout the evening, not just when I tried to go to sleep.

Well, for me, my anxiety started *because* I couldn't sleep, which may have been a part of it. My anxiety through the evening was high, probably similar to you, but the anxiety while in bed at night was worse. SRT increased my sleep drive to the point where it overcame the hyperarousal, which vastly reduced the time I would spend in bed awake, and by extension the association of being in bed with having anxiety. So the nighttime anxiety dropped first, but then the evening anxiety dropped because I wasn't so worried about not sleeping that night. It's the same kind of feedback loop that drove the anxiety in the first place, only in reverse.

It's also important to note that SRT isn't the only intervention I used. Designated Worry Time and Cognitive Restructuring both helped quite a bit too.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I've deleted all this. I shouldn't have posted it in the first place.

I'm not going to kill myself. I wasn't really looking for a solution, I just needed to vent. Sorry.

metavisual has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Sep 16, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
life insurance wont pay out on a suicide anyway, and your kids would rather be poor and have you around than the other way around

if you cant find a better company with a similar job/pay but less stress, then honestly consider going back to college yourself for a bit, reset and try a new direction in life while you're able

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

metavisual posted:

TL:DR - Working as a computer janitor loving sucks, titles never match the actual job, and I'm rapidly reaching the point where it's time to cash out of this miserable loving life.

This goes beyond ideation into urges. I strongly urge you to talk to someone pronto. If you're actively making plans, consider a hospital stay.

Even if you're all "ha ha no way I'd never do that," I'd advise talking to someone anyway. Everybody thinks they'd never do it until they're backed into a corner and do.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Chokes McGee - Thanks. I appreciate you :)

metavisual has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Sep 16, 2019

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

got any sevens posted:

life insurance wont pay out on a suicide anyway, and your kids would rather be poor and have you around than the other way around

if you cant find a better company with a similar job/pay but less stress, then honestly consider going back to college yourself for a bit, reset and try a new direction in life while you're able

I was going to reply and explain why what you said is problematic for my particular circumstances, but it really doesn't matter. I've since deleted the original post. I never should have posted it in the first place.
I appreciate your sentiment though. Thanks. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

metavisual posted:

Probably too strong of a word. It's more a mindset than anything, and I don't have any plans. For multiple reasons - I don't think I can do that to my kids. I also don't think I'd ever be able to do it right and while I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid of loving it up and making things worse. So to be perfectly honest, part of my frustration probably comes from the fact that I don't see any joy at all in the world and I don't see a way to change anything. Apologies if it sounded like I was on the verge of carrying this out.

I've deleted the post. I shouldn't have even put it up in the first place. Apologies. I appreciate your sentiment though. A lot.

If you want to edit the quote out, I'll edit mine out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ugh I've had a headache for the past 14 hours now

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

metavisual posted:

I was going to reply and explain why what you said is problematic for my particular circumstances, but it really doesn't matter. I've since deleted the original post. I never should have posted it in the first place.
I appreciate your sentiment though. Thanks. :)

no i know you said you have kids you're supporting and a house, but since you're thinking of suicide then it's all for naught. you really truly need to change your life in a big way. if not going back to college, just get a lower stress job or run away to europe and be a bartender or whatever

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

StashAugustine posted:

Ugh I've had a headache for the past 14 hours now

sup migraine buddy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chokes McGee posted:

sup migraine buddy

Yeah probably. Ive never had a headache this long before and its not as serious or accompanied by some other symptoms but its still really lovely, especially since I have way too much stuff to do today. Woke me up at 3am when it got really bad but its just sort of a dull pressure nos

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
:(

succ has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Sep 17, 2019

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
everything is ugly mean garbage

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
cool i love accidentally taking my concerta right before bed and failing to induce vomiting.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Woo so never had anxiety quite as bad as I'm having right now. My stepmon has called me like twice in the past hour because my dad went out to the farm and him and one of the tractors are missing, so her the neighbors and the sheriff are all out looking for him and I'm just sitting here staring at my phone waiting for a call.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chokes McGee posted:

sup migraine buddy

I suddenly developed bad, low air pressure related headaches (or at least suspect it was that) and had them for years but they disappeared when I moved cities/regions. Melbourne has much more volatile weather but maybe it's so volatile that whatever causes my headaches never gets used to it??? I dunno, just happy to have one less crippling issue

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got my packet today, so now in 15 - 45 days I'll finally have coverage for Mental Health Services again :toot:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Today I started on antidepressants.

It only took a full-court press from my friends, family, and both my psychiatrist and psychologist.

No, you're dumb and stubborn!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

shove me like you do posted:

Woo so never had anxiety quite as bad as I'm having right now. My stepmon has called me like twice in the past hour because my dad went out to the farm and him and one of the tractors are missing, so her the neighbors and the sheriff are all out looking for him and I'm just sitting here staring at my phone waiting for a call.

woah, thats tough

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

shove me like you do posted:

Best of luck, goon. :smith:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

cool i love accidentally taking my concerta right before bed and failing to induce vomiting.

have you ever thought about using one of those pill planner things? i've was going to get one a while back, but fortunately now im only on two drugs, one of which is a pill and the other a capsule, so i've been able to tell if something is up when it gets into my mouth :pseudo:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

BUSH 2112 posted:

i feel guilty and selfish by being hurt by what she said because she's been through so much more hosed up stuff than me.

idk i just needed to get that off my chest, i'm sick of replaying the conversation in my head and feeling like a complete and total rear end in a top hat.

pain and suffering isnt a competition. thats the only thing I could tell myself to not feel like a piece of poo poo going to my support group every week and talking about my bs while other people had their real problems.

its ok to feel bad if you do something wrong, but your friend is in the wrong for jumping down your throat over nothing. that doesnt mean you have to do or feel anything specific in response. you can feel sorry for them and wish you could do more without letting yourself turn into someone who did something wrong.

Im also not here to tell you what to think or feel. this is just based off my experiences of getting hung out to dry by friends and having really big trouble always framing suffering as a competition where the winner is the only one that gets to feel bad. it sucks and it was bad for me. everybody feels like poo poo and they need to express it or work through it somehow.

if you really want to get your friend back and feel like you can put up with the blowback, keep pushing and trying to talk to them. they might really need an outlet more than ever. just try not to take it personally.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
So they ended up finding my pops last night around midnight, he got in some sort of accident and has a broken nasal cavity and ocular socket. And it seems like some sort of brain trauma, we're waiting on the neurospecialist to show up but right now he's barely able to remember his own birthday.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
my dad got run over by his tractor once and managed to push the wheel off without much damage except some broken ribs. lucky for him there wasn't an implement attached

I hope your dad will be better soon

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Thanks. I'm up at the hospital now, they're apparently going to have to do surgery to deal with brain swelling and broken skull bits. Had to spend a half hour or so climbing up and down a blood soaked tractor looking for his wallet so we could give his insurance card to the hospital. (it looks like a branch got caught on a loader or something and flung into his face)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

wow. I hope the surgery goes well, fellow goon. I'm really glad you found him before things got worse than they already are, and its very impressive that you were/are able to keep your poo poo together enough to do helpful things for the family. keep us posted if you have the bandwith, because I know I'll be checking the thread and hoping it turns out well

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Same, dude. I'm wishing you the best and hope things work out.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Well he's finally in surgery so I'll know more in 3 or 4 hours. Honestly at this point with the emotional exhaustion I've just kind of completely disassociated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

like my last state, my current state also has a broken-rear end mental health system. a lady was held for 20 days, involuntarily, at a non-psych hospital because you cant have a probable cause hearing before a judge to contest your committal until you're admitted to a psychiatric facility, which are all full, all the time. That poo poo is one of my worst fears come true

https://www.nhpr.org/post/held-20-days-how-nhs-shortage-mental-health-beds-erodes-patients-rights#stream/0