Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zernach posted:

I've read the thread more during the weekend and made some changes to the build I posted earlier.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€218.90)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€119.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€96.60)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€126.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card (€459.00)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case (€77.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€96.60)
Total: €1193.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 19:38 CEST+0200

Switched to the Ryzen 3600 and 5700XT, followed with with a Sabrant Rocket for a M.2 SSD. That part is a bit annoying, I would have to order it from Amazon since none was selling it locally. Local options for 1TB in the same price range are Corsair Force MP300, Intel Consumer 660p, Crucial P1 and MX500. Any of those in the same ballpark as Sabrant so I wouldn't have to bother with Amazon?

Also fixed my mistake of choosing a full tower instead of a mid tower and went for a slightly cheaper PSU.

Left the CPU cooler out since the included one is apparently sufficent and not too loud. Or should I just drop a bit more €€€ and get something?

Stick with the stock cooler and see how you like it. If it's too loud you can just upgrade after. I have the same cooler in my older 2600 processor and it seems ok to me.

You probably won't be able to tell the difference between the MX500 and the Sabrent as far as everyday performance goes. But if they are a similar price I'd stick with the Sabrent because on paper it's like 6 times faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My dad wants new desktop for watching movies, internet browsing, and not much else.

He's looking for something around $300 or less. I could build something but I really really don't want to; is there a good prebuilt that wouldn't have bloatware and could do all that for that price?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Get thee a NUC

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Any chromebook could do that too plus he can use it on the shitter.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Looking to upgrade my PC. Need a new video card, possibly a new CPU.

Current rig:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
Intel(R) Core i7-3820 CPU at 3.60GHZ (8 Cpus), ~3.6GHz
16 gig of ram
Rampage 4 Motherboard, if that matters.

Currently been looking at https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-08g-p4-2081-kr/p/N82E16814487415 but that's literally just one of the first ones I found that seemed to be a happy medium between an upgrade and affordable. :v

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mu Zeta posted:

Any chromebook could do that too plus he can use it on the shitter.

He needs to use some Windows only software, apparently.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
so ive still got an Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz that i bought in 2013

ive got 16gb of ram, a 1 terabyte ssd, and a gtx 1060. is my cpu the bottleneck in this system? or do you think it's not really affecting things much

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's going to be a tight build.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Kanine posted:

ive got 16gb of ram, a 1 terabyte ssd, and a gtx 1060. is my cpu the bottleneck in this system? or do you think it's not really affecting things much

If you have something like a hypercooler 212 or the like on it, you can easily OC it to 4.2-4.5ghz, just changing the multiplier value in bios. That alone might get rid of any issues you feel your having.

I just replaced mine with a R5 3600, and have a similar card (1660ti). Apex Legends was the first game I started having playability issues on, most noticeably when fire fights started. FPS would nosedive from mid 80's into the 40's. That's gone now.

So yes, It's definitely a bottleneck for more cpu intensive games. It was such a popular CPU that there are a number of benchmarks comparing it to modern cpu's you could check.

Fun option, E5-2689: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz8ThsFOP3w

Golluk fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 16, 2019

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a compelling reason to choose AMD over Intel?

Also how is GeForce freesync support these days?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lowness 72 posted:

Is there a compelling reason to choose AMD over Intel?
Price-for-performance is generally better with AMD (both CPU and GPU wise).

I've been hearing of a lot of issues with the AMD video drivers lately, which is why I went with nVidia graphics on my newest build. But I don't know if the problems are widespread, or if it's just affecting a few very vocal people.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

WhiteHowler posted:

I've been hearing of a lot of issues with the AMD video drivers lately, which is why I went with nVidia graphics on my newest build. But I don't know if the problems are widespread, or if it's just affecting a few very vocal people.

I have never experienced a time where people didn’t complain about AMD/ATI drivers as long as nvidia and AMD/ATI have been competing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

GutBomb posted:

I have never experienced a time where people didn’t complain about AMD/ATI drivers as long as nvidia and AMD/ATI have been competing.
Yeah, but I'm talking specifically with the 5700 XT and newer games. There seem(ed?) to be some actual problems, not just "hurrrrr nVidia rules, AMD drools". I haven't heard this kind of buzz about GPU issues in quite a while, but maybe I've just been listening more closely because I'd been preparing to build a new PC.

Anyway, lots of people love the AMD cards, and any issues will probably be worked out quickly, so you really can't go wrong either way.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Gamer nexus videos seem to indicate that the driver issues are mainly with overclocking and adjusting peripheral things like fans and temps. Normal in game use for the average Joe appears to be fine

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Farecoal posted:

My dad wants new desktop for watching movies, internet browsing, and not much else.

He's looking for something around $300 or less. I could build something but I really really don't want to; is there a good prebuilt that wouldn't have bloatware and could do all that for that price?

I'd suggest skimming Ebay for some Dell Optiplex or HP Z/Elite workstations. You can usually find some fairly recent i5 and i7 towers for i3 prices as companies do tech refreshes, throw an SSD in there if it doesn't already have one and those things are great, especially as HTPCs since many are available in SFF and USFF. The price savings of building your own computer are negligible for anything under $500 and virtually any prebuilt from Best Buy or MicroCenter are going to have bloatware out of the box.

Kanine posted:

The 2500k is a great processor but is very possibly a bottleneck here. If you want an inexpensive boost try and find a 2770k or 3770k on ebay, you can usually find them for $80-$100 and should be an easy swap that doubles your threads (double check your MoBo/BIOS for Ivy Bridge support for the 3770k). My current gaming rig is running on a 3770 that replaced a i5-3570 and I was surprised what a difference it made, it's still running great in all but the most demanding/poorly optimized games.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Mu Zeta posted:

You should buy your own power supply, one of the gold rated Seasonic or Corsair that are always recommended here [...]

Stickman posted:

I agree - it looks good, but the 3600 is a better gaming CPU than the 2700x [...]

ItBreathes posted:

Don't get a blower 5700XT. The card is just too hot for the cooling solution [...]

Lube banjo posted:

I have one and its not that hot or that loud [...]

Very late, but thanks for the advice! Just ordered the parts - I ended up switching out the Ryzen 2700X for the 3600, the RTX 2070 for a 2060 Super, and the SSD for a Corsair MP510. I kept the In Win case with internal PSU because the store I ordered from didn't allow filtering by size when searching for PSUs - thankfully it seems like it's pretty trivial to disable the LED strip on it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Current case is an Antec 900. How much more better are modern cases? Stick with the old or in with the new? I'm kinda liking some of the white cases around now, especially a few with that early 70s post modern look, curved edges and such.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

wormil posted:

Current case is an Antec 900. How much more better are modern cases? Stick with the old or in with the new? I'm kinda liking some of the white cases around now, especially a few with that early 70s post modern look, curved edges and such.

It's hard to say if a new case is necessarily "better" than an old one since a lot of case features are aesthetic choices but in general: modern cases now have dedicated space for cable management so they allow for a cleaner look and there are also cases that are designed specifically for water cooling vs air cooling, making it easier to mount reservoirs and rads. The rails at the front for HDDs and Optical drives have largely disappeared, replaced with a few 3.5" bays in front of the PSU and monting points on the back of the motherboard tray for mounting SSDs. Also acrylic has been largely replaced with tempered glass trading weight for scratch resistance (and probably looking nicer with RGB). What's actually kind of amusing is that cases are now finally starting to come back to older designs similar to the 900 with fine mesh fronts to allow for more airflow, top vents for fans/rads, and IOs on the top or side instead of the front. Though with the death of optical media you don't have all the removable 5.25 bay sections, they're usually just a solid piece.

CES had some very interesting concepts this year, including a number that are experimenting with rotating the motherboard 90* so the MoBo IO is on the top of the case to allow for Bottom->Top airflow instead of Front->Back.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 16, 2019

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Checked the OP. Is the Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I still the recommended WiFi adapter?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Scruff McGruff posted:

It's hard to say if a new case is necessarily "better" than an old one since a lot of case features are aesthetic choices but in general: modern cases now have dedicated space for cable management so they allow for a cleaner look and there are also cases that are designed specifically for water cooling vs air cooling, making it easier to mount reservoirs and rads. The rails at the front for HDDs and Optical drives have largely disappeared, replaced with a few 3.5" bays in front of the PSU and monting points on the back of the motherboard tray for mounting SSDs. Also acrylic has been largely replaced with tempered glass trading weight for scratch resistance (and probably looking nicer with RGB). What's actually kind of amusing is that cases are now finally starting to come back to older designs similar to the 900 with fine mesh fronts to allow for more airflow, top vents for fans/rads, and IOs on the top or side instead of the front. Though with the death of optical media you don't have all the removable 5.25 bay sections, they're usually just a solid piece.

CES had some very interesting concepts this year, including a number that are experimenting with rotating the motherboard 90* so the MoBo IO is on the top of the case to allow for Bottom->Top airflow instead of Front->Back.

Those sound like good reasons to upgrade, dedicated cable mgt and less 5.25 clutter though I still need a DVDRW like once a year.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Anyone have any pointers on using the USB-C connector on the NZXT 510? I'm kinda confused on which connector / header etc I need and the manual is a bit confusing. I don't own it or the motherboard yet so I'm wondering how that should inform my choices.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Spiderdrake posted:

Anyone have any pointers on using the USB-C connector on the NZXT 510? I'm kinda confused on which connector / header etc I need and the manual is a bit confusing. I don't own it or the motherboard yet so I'm wondering how that should inform my choices.

The nzxt h510 is a really bad case. Fine to build in, looks nice, but it’s like, one of the worst cases ever reviewed by gamers nexus for thermals. I highly recommend a different case.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Quick question: so I bought a 2x16gb kit of DDR4-3200 for my new computer, but one of the sticks arrived DOA. Will anything bad happen if I yank the two sticks of 8gb DDR4-2133 from my old computer and run them together as a second channel in my new motherboard?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

GutBomb posted:

The nzxt h510 is a really bad case. Fine to build in, looks nice, but it’s like, one of the worst cases ever reviewed by gamers nexus for thermals. I highly recommend a different case.

I think you're talking about the H510 Elite, right? The addition of a tempered glass front panel in the Elite model specifically is what they said was not good; the H510 is the same as the regular H500 except for front ports.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eletriarnation posted:

I think you're talking about the H510 Elite, right? The addition of a tempered glass front panel in the Elite model specifically is what they said was not good; the H510 is the same as the regular H500 except for front ports.
Yeah the review for the regular H500 is good, Steve said GPU thermals are excellent.

H510 just has USB-C and their manual hurts to look at, I'm rocking an antec from 2013 so I've never messed with those headers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This motherboard has the usb c header. The connector cable should be included with the H510 case.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK/Specification

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Scruff McGruff posted:

To be fair, Silverstone has been doing this for years

Edit: that could be because they patented it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 17, 2019

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why would you want that there is no air under your case...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mr. Crow posted:

Why would you want that there is no air under your case...

The ones I looked at had tall feet, plenty of air space underneath.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Seeing as there have been no more comments on this, I'm good to go?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Eletriarnation posted:

Whoops yeah I meant the elite.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Reiterpallasch posted:

Quick question: so I bought a 2x16gb kit of DDR4-3200 for my new computer, but one of the sticks arrived DOA. Will anything bad happen if I yank the two sticks of 8gb DDR4-2133 from my old computer and run them together as a second channel in my new motherboard?

Besides being limited to the speed of the slower RAM, it should work.

If the RAM arrived DOA, start an RMA. They'll probably want you to send both sticks back, but since you have spare ram to keep you going I would recommend doing it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Crosspostin’ from the monitor thread

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a monitor desk mount? I have a 34in and a 24in (probably upgrading to 27in in the future). I was thinking buying 2 separate single-monitor arms, but would be open to a dual-monitor mount if it makes more sense. The reviews & prices on Amazon seem to be all over the place.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Depends on the weight of the monitor. Most dual arms won't be able to support the weight of a big 34+" UW.

Amazon's single arm is actually sturdy as hell and pretty great.

Edit: here's my setup, similar to what you wanna do. 35" on right, 27" on left.

The center arm is the Amazon single arm (that monitor weighs about 26 lbs), on the left is actually a dual arm I had bought for what you want to do but the arms couldn't support the weight. Now the extra arm is a VR HMD stand.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 17, 2019

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Just a bit of a general enquiry before I start looking into building a new desktop PC - Are there any new technologies expected between now and April next year? New generation of processors/graphics cards/super duper fast storage solution etc?

I'm going to donate my current PC to my son, who is just getting into PC gaming, and the plan is to build myself a new one, with the aim to have it done in time for Cyberpunk next year. Just wondering if there's any reason to wait a few months rather than build now and perhaps buy a graphics card that will be superseded by a better model in a few weeks?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Not sure if this question is the best for this thread, but is the part number:
MT40A512M8RH-083E:B
Micron E-die? I can't actually test it until I get my CPU, but I would be glad to know what it is.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stink Terios posted:

Not sure if this question is the best for this thread, but is the part number:
MT40A512M8RH-083E:B
Micron E-die? I can't actually test it until I get my CPU, but I would be glad to know what it is.

Looks like a 4 gig stick of DDR4?

https://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddr4-sdram/part-catalog/mt40a512m8rh-083e-it

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Not sure if this is the right thread... have their been any cooling tests on the 3700x comparing it to the stock cooler? I've realized it gets pretty warm while streaming. Not looking to spend a ton on a cooler, but I'd also like to see the differences in temperatures I may be able to see depending on what heatsink I get...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

It's 8GB actually. Finding info on this is difficult since it's a Kingspec stick.

e: Researched harder, seems to be Micron B-die. :ms:

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 17, 2019