Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Why is this allowed to grab Breya, such a flavor fail imo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kurtofan posted:

Castle Lochtwain

Land

~ enters tapped unless you have Swamp

T: add B

1BB, T: draw a card, then you lose life equal to the number of cards in your hand

This seems really good. Control spends it's spare mana on a card, prospective monoblack aggro probably digs it too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why is this allowed to grab Breya, such a flavor fail imo.

It is able to grab Mox Opal/Mox Amber.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

It is able to grab Mox Opal/Mox Amber.

And all three of the Sen Triplets.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How dependant in Mix Opal is Whirza? I'm thinking of building a new modern deck and trying to decide if I should speculate on it sticking around with Affinity or Scales, though neither seen to be much of a going concern now. I've not been following the format closely.

GerryT posted a nice Mardu list, but I'd need to get Stoneforges. Still annoyed at myself for not getting them before the unban.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My understanding is "very"

I think Hardened Scales & Affinity are being hated out by all the artifact hate people are bringing for Whirza, though I don't think Affinity has been a deck for a while and a lot of people avoid Hardened Scales because it's hard to play

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

dude surgical was a four-for-one, don't you understand card advantage?
Not only do I understand card advantage, but Rift Bolt is like the second card I cut from my deck when I'm trying to put together a considerably spicier list/board in cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

I think Hardened Scales & Affinity are being hated out by all the artifact hate people are bringing for Whirza, though I don't think Affinity has been a deck for a while and a lot of people avoid Hardened Scales because it's hard to play

Maybe time to sell up for the new hotness then. I'd like to brew vampires too.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I wish I knew where to trade my Opals, they're OG so they're $80 a set cheaper than the reprint. :<
And yeah, I cannot in good conscience recommend Affinity right now.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Hardened scales seems like a really fun deck and I wish I had the $$$ to build it. Same with humans.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Do we know who Ellwen is?

Those rare lands are cool as hell.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

I guess it’s ok in the cavalcade decks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tainen posted:

I guess it’s ok in the cavalcade decks

Bah, I thought these cards were typed lands? The black one is far and away the best.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

Bah, I thought these cards were typed lands? The black one is far and away the best.

The Commons are typed, not these.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

MikeCrotch posted:

Opal provides the acceleration for the occasional fast win (e.g. T3 combo with multiple opals), extra color fixing beyond labe so you can easily run 4 or 5 colors, and an extra useful artifact to sac to thopter foundry. The deck gets a full turn slower and probably has to stick with 2-3 colors without Opal, which does set it back significantly.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Same with humans.

Have you tried budget humans? Slivers

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Have you tried budget humans? Slivers

Lol at that being "budget".

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
There is no such thing as a budget tribal deck any more. Nowadays they all involve 4 Aether Vial and 4 Cavern of Souls at a minimum.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It looks wild but the ability goes up exactly 1 mana.

Still nice to have it go up one at all.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I mean its both ramp and fixing in the right situation, but still somehow disappointing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think that's the most likely of the cycle to see play as a 4-of. Boring, but effective.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

I mean its both ramp and fixing in the right situation, but still somehow disappointing.

Turn 5 Gargos? :v:

It's hard to celebrate aggressively green ramp that doesn't work with Nissa, Who Shakes the World by not being a forest or letting you cheat her out.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Byk9Is3TjY

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It looks wild but the ability goes up exactly 1 mana.

Still nice to have it go up one at all.

Imagine getting to cast Feasting Troll King a whole turn earlier! :v:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sickening posted:

Lol at that being "budget".

Let me have this.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So it's like a temple of the false gods you might actually want to play?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I wish they would have at least made it mana of any color, it's already got the creature limitation

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Have literally had this happen to me

same but restoration angel

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

so what game winning 6-drop are you ramping into on turn 5 with this? Maybe turn 4 with a paradise druid or incubation druid? Also does this card have any other applications other than effectively tapping for 2, but only after turn 5, (and untapping it doesn't do anything).

I'm guessing this only exists to power out hydras because thats the only thing in mono-green that you'd want to spend more than 5 mana on.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
These rare lands seem bad

Black one is maybe playable
Red is helpful with Cavalcade and only Cavalcade
Blue spending that much mana to scry seems like bad value
Green is :laffo:, spending 5 mana to get 6 is horrible. Should've made it spend 3 to get 4 or at least spend 4 to get 5.

I bet White is some sort of horrible 2W, tap to gain 3 life nonsense.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 17, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A Moose posted:

so what game winning 6-drop are you ramping into on turn 5 with this? Maybe turn 4 with a paradise druid or incubation druid? Also does this card have any other applications other than effectively tapping for 2, but only after turn 5, (and untapping it doesn't do anything).

I'm guessing this only exists to power out hydras because thats the only thing in mono-green that you'd want to spend more than 5 mana on.

A single island on the side lets you cast a Hydroid Krasis with x=6 with 6 lands?

It lets you make the X of Voracious Hydra bigger?

Spend 5 get 6 is so awkward but it barely has a drawback in a format with shocks.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

I hope so, so we can see people shriek and cry as Castle of Ardenvale scoops up control players in its powerful arms and carries them out of burn range over and over

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i think the red land is a little better than it looks. not better than the black land, but reasonable. red lands that push damage are historically very good (barbarian ring, ramunap ruins). while this one requires unblocked attackers, which is a substantial handicap, it can repeatedly push through a few points of damage, which is often enough. if any form of RDW exists post-rotation, which is often a safe bet, this land just slots right into it.

red aggro is just trying to count to 20 as fast as possible. getting 1-3 points of damage from a land slot is very, very good.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I hope so, so we can see people shriek and cry as Castle of Ardenvale scoops up control players in its powerful arms and carries them out of burn range over and over

The food mechanic alone has probably pushed burn decks/RDW way down in the meta to the point where it isn't viable. Even activating a single food token might be able to put a win out of range for burn before a control deck can stabilize.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The biggest issue with the red land is the chance of drawing two copies of it and zero mountains, which makes your entire game plan nonfunctional. The first couple of copies are basically a freebie, but I don't think you're playing the full playset in a deck that needs to play a 1-drop on turn 1.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

axeil posted:

These rare lands seem bad

Black one is maybe playable
Red is helpful with Cavalcade and only Cavalcade
Blue spending that much mana to scry seems like bad value
Green is :laffo:, spending 5 mana to get 6 is horrible. Should've made it spend 3 to get 4 or at least spend 4 to get 5.

They're all "playable", at least in standard anyway. It's not like there's any downside to putting them in your mono colour deck over a few basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

axeil posted:

The food mechanic alone has probably pushed burn decks/RDW way down in the meta to the point where it isn't viable. Even activating a single food token might be able to put a win out of range for burn before a control deck can stabilize.

Do any of the food token cards even look playable at this point?